• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

Gold Member
I think the news of the rift on the FTC board is probably very real and has emboldened Microsoft in the US. Advertising Call of Duty on multiple platforms is a smart move. Whether it has any impact in Europe remains to be seen, but as I've said for a while, money talks in the US.
Why do I feel like I seen this text somewhere?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I feel we are reaching nuclear levels on this deal!

I can feel it in my plums!

plum GIF

GHG

Gold Member
I don't know why some people are stuck in their archaic ways thinking about it.

1/ You don't sign "perpetual" contracts". MS has not done that for Minecraft. They always renew contracts and agreements.
2/ This is a historic 10 year agreement offer, a 10 year guarantee if you will.
3/ It does not mean after 10 years evil M$ will lock CoD in a tower away from Sony. They have very clearly said as much:

[/URL]

I fully expect anyone whose dead set in their ways to ignore this and continue to parade the same talking point, however.

I sense much frustration in Phil.

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

NickFire

It's the new 1$ narrative.

It's like people forgot switch is 5 years old console and new gen would be here.
It’s not a narrative. It’s recognition of hardware limitations by people who play the hell out of COD. It’s not unreasonable to suspect Nintendo will have new hardware soon either In fairness to you. But that’s speculation and people who love the current COD running in 120 FPS have plenty of right to wonder how the game they play will be affected (if at all).

Granted, this isn’t as egregious as people suggesting base COD is fit for streaming. That crap is straight up looney tunes,

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not a narrative. It’s recognition of hardware limitations by people who play the hell out of COD. It’s not unreasonable to suspect Nintendo will have new hardware soon either In fairness to you. But that’s speculation and people who love the current COD running in 120 FPS have plenty of right to wonder how the game they play will be affected (if at all).

Granted, this isn’t as egregious as people suggesting base COD is fit for streaming. That crap is straight up looney tunes,

Well, either new hardware is on the way or folks need to temper their expectations for COD on Switch. Until new hardware arrives, COD Mobile may be a viable option. Not sure how well that would be received though.

feynoob

Gold Member

Console is 5 years old. It will get new gen.

This is just crap, people like to spit, because current switch is dog shit graphic.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Doesn't sound like it. The interview gets into talking about making Minecraft work on Nintendo silicon.
I don't know that I would be telling anyone that it was a feat to get Minecraft to run on Switch when I was playing it on an iPod touch eleventy billion years ago

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't know that I would be telling anyone that it was a feat to get Minecraft to run on Switch when I was playing it on an iPod touch eleventy billion years ago
That's not what he said. He just said they have experience with it. Bethesda also has had a lot of success hiring small studios porting Doom to Switch, and my guess is they'll hire them again. Doom even has gyro and is my preferred way to play it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well, either new hardware is on the way or folks need to temper their expectations for COD on Switch. Until new hardware arrives, COD Mobile may be a viable option. Not sure how well that would be received though.

Probably be one of those games you purchase for full price but just stream to Switch. 🤷‍♂️

Just like Control and a bunch of others.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't know why some people are stuck in their archaic ways thinking about it.

1/ You don't sign "perpetual" contracts". MS has not done that for Minecraft. They always renew contracts and agreements.
2/ This is a historic 10 year agreement offer, a 10 year guarantee if you will.
3/ It does not mean after 10 years evil M$ will lock CoD in a tower away from Sony. They have very clearly said as much:

[/URL]

I fully expect anyone whose dead set in their ways to ignore this and continue to parade the same talking point, however.
Not sure if that's exactly true. It is quite common to have a lease, for example, that renews automatically after the term of the lease. Parties then renegotiate the concrete terms of the deal but in essence it would be seen as perpetual I'm sure someone in Microsoft's fleet of lawyers could figure out something.

So Nintendo who’s in first place without call of duty signed 10 years to get it. Valve who has a lock on the pc space the same. Lol so Sony is on this island alone now. Difficult to see how this doesn’t go through at this point. Shareholders are definitely getting paid now just a matter of when.

gothmog

Gold Member
I know. I feel like it would probably be harder to get iMinecraft to not run on something at this point. It runs on pretty much everything.

NickFire

"Principal Environment Artist @ Naughty Dog"

Looks like not only Sony fans are salty :messenger_grinning:

I agree with everything he wrote except for 10 years being nothing in the context of COD specifically. 10 years is a long time, certainly sufficient to launch a new FPS franchise for a competent dev / publisher.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My head is struggling to understand this proposition as well. How is Switch going to keep up with the base game?

Probably some ploy how to get at least piece of Xcloud on Switch

I'm betting they put it on Nintendo's cloud gaming solution if cloud is how they initially deliver.

Factoring in time for the acquisition to finalize + development time, these titles will be on Switch 2, not Switch.

All modern/new COD games are already on base Xbox One and PS4, and the Switch 2 should be more powerful than either of those consoles, so this is perfectly feasible from a developmental standpoint.

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
EA play?

It doesn’t even do day 1 releases of EA games, like FIFA.

Why isn’t gamepass on steam? Don’t spend an eternity thinking about it. Some of you must get eaten hard every time it’s business time.
Do you know that on the Steam Deck you can use gamepass thanks to a collaboration between Ms and Valve?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom