• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think I would want to be a defense attorney. Getting paid all that money for usually defending the guilty and losing. Easy work 😎
Not sure I would want that on my conscious, well in the criminal cases that is.

Probably more lucrative getting the constant stream of YouTube superchats. I read somewhere that one YouTube lawyer make 7 figures from paid chat messages just trash talking during the Heard/Depp trial.
Clearly found his current revenue niche ;)

Last edited:
Anyone reading the bolded part in a vacuum will assume one of the biggest reasons for FTC's lawsuit is MS supposedly recanting on assurances they made to EU.

Waiting for another "Reading is hard" type reply. :rolleyes:

It's not supposedly. They did. Doesn't actually matter if the EU took it into consideration or not. I'm aware the EU didn't because they said in that same document that even if Microsoft did have incentives it wouldn't be a concern for them. That's not the point the FTC is making though

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think I would want to be a defense attorney. Getting paid all that money for usually defending the guilty and losing. Easy work 😎
The win/loss ratio matters, though. If you don't win people don't hire you. You have to be good to make the bank.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It's not supposedly. They did. Doesn't actually matter if the EU took it into consideration or not. I'm aware the EU didn't because they said in that same document that even if Microsoft did have incentives it wouldn't be a concern for them. That's not the point the FTC is making though
Consider for just 1 second the possibility that MS are not complete morons that lie to major regulators.

feynoob

Gold Member
FTC is saying future games, while EU is existing games.
2 different topic.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
You don't have to be a completely moron to intentionally mislead or obfuscate. In fact, the best ones are of people with very high IQ and make a living or even a corporation out of it.
I mean, sure. Agreed. I just think they have a little more experience with this kind of thing than to just lie about such an obvious thing and then immediately announce an exclusive. It's literally retarded.

Topher

Gold Member

Read all that. Are people really paying money for this? We knew all of this already from reading what MS submitted to EU.

feynoob

Gold Member
Read all that. Are people really paying money for this? We knew all of this already from reading what MS submitted to EU.
Its the website I showed you.
You need to have premiium access for it .You get news from mergers, and all kind of market related materials.

Its like the NPD data.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is one of the shittiest things about the internet.

The websites that do relevant reporting are tied behind paywall, and I understand their reasoning, but it sucks that all the tabloid shit is free and advertised everywhere.

Also, FTC's erroneous statements yesterday lit a fire under a lot of folks, this is just the fire hydrant to it, I guess.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Read. The fucking. Document

You're notorious for not actually reading anything. Do yourself a favour and learn how already
1FzUmqA.png

3K3JSCz.png

Then EU are liars then got it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We didn't know that the EU commission clapped back at the FTC for misrepresenting their conclusions, though. People were asking for the source of the text that was quoted earlier because they believe that some random made it up and this is just posting where it came from.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I keep not understanding much despite lurking quite heavily, I guess this lawyer type English isn't really known for me. Makes me salty and embarrassed. Oh well I can do other things, I guess.

:messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
We didn't know that the EU commission clapped back at the FTC for misrepresenting their conclusions, though. People were asking for the source of the text that was quoted earlier because they believe that some random made it up and this is just posting where it came from.

Where did the EU make any statement here at all? I see references to an "EU watchdog". "Watchdogs" typically don't work for the entity they are watching. So who is this watchdog?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where did the EU make any statement here at all? I see references to an "EU watchdog". "Watchdogs" typically don't work for the entity they are watching. So who is this watchdog?
I will repeat what I said in the other thread since people are A) not reading it, apparently, and B) they tried saying it was a " direct EU commissioner" at first (which is why I called bullshit since there was no press release from them, nor do I believe they would get involved and open their mouths when this is going to trial) and now when read, it was supposed "watchdogs."

It's not childish. Sources matter. Which is why I said I will wait for actual sources from the horses mouth, not marketing analysis firms that represent hedge funds that possibly have vested interest in the deal succeeding for the stock payout.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I'm basing my information on offical documentation. Not interested in these paywalled articles.

Because these documents are for existing zenimax games, and the 2 contractual agreement, which is deathloop and ghost wire Tokyo.

MS clearly stated during these periods, that zenimax future games are cases by cases.
You know, the stuff we have been going forth and back here?
That is what was happening during the EU commission.

EU regulators knew MS were going to have some exclusive games. They were aware of that, during the process of approval.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The EU commission is the watchdog. They ensure compliance.

Context for them being a watchdog for the EU:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's too bad the EU had to correct the FTC's misrepresentations. That's really shady and corrupt. The FTC lied not Microsoft. I don't see them winning anything.

MLex emailed the European Commission about the FTC accusation and they provided a very interesting answer:
Microsoft didn't mislead EU over ZeniMax deal, watchdog says in response to US concerns

Microsoft didn't make any "commitments" to EU regulators not to release Xbox-exclusive content following its takeover of ZeniMax Media, the European Commission has said.

US enforcers yesterday suggested that the US tech giant had misled the regulator in 2021 and cited that as a reason to challenge its proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

"The commission cleared the Microsoft/ZeniMax transaction unconditionally as it concluded that the transaction would not raise competition concerns," the EU watchdog said in an emailed statement.

The absence of competition concerns "did not rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax's games," said the commission, which itself has opened an in-depth probe into the Activision Blizzard deal and appears keen to clarify what happened in the previous acquisition.

The EU agency found that even if Microsoft were to restrict access to ZeniMax titles, it wouldn't have a significant impact on competition because rivals wouldn't be denied access to an "essential input," and other consoles would still have a "large array" of attractive content.

Because these documents are for existing zenimax games, and the 2 contractual agreement, which is deathloop and ghost wire Tokyo.

MS clearly stated during these periods, that zenimax future games are cases by cases.
You know, the stuff we have been going forth and back here?
That is what was happening during the EU commission.

EU regulators knew MS were going to have some exclusive games. They were aware of that, during the process of approval.

YueJpvq.png

Go ahead and point out the language being used to indicate the EU is only refering to existing games and not upcoming ones

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Whoever responded to MLex's comment is being labeled as "The European Commission"

Microsoft didn't make any "commitments" to EU regulators not to release Xbox-exclusive content following its takeover of ZeniMax Media, the European Commission has said.

edit: ReBurn ReBurn got it better.

feynoob

Gold Member
YueJpvq.png

Go ahead and point out the language being used to indicate the EU is only refering to existing games and not upcoming ones
107: existing games.
108: states how MS intends to make zenimax games exclusive. And 109: shows exclusive strategy would be successful, if their content is weak (2022 Xbox).

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
107: existing games.
108: states how MS intends to make zenimax games exclusive. And 109: shows exclusive strategy would be successful, if their content is weak (2022 Xbox).

They mention a significant portion of Zenimax sales will be on rival consoles this generation. Xbox is selling everything they ship. They proceed to announce exclusives straight away.

Sorry but people reaching for straws here.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
They mention a significant portion of Zenimax sales will be on rival consoles this generation. Xbox is selling everything they ship. They proceed to announce exclusives straight away.

Sorry but people reaching for straws here.
New players would offset those lost sales.
108 highlights that.

So if MS sees the purchase is bringing more players, then they can determine that the revenue on the rival console can be offset by these new players.

That is how MS is assessing these exclusive games.

Topher

Gold Member
The EU commission is the watchdog. They ensure compliance.

Context for them being a watchdog for the EU:

Really? That seems like an odd way to refer to the commission, but ok.

Whoever responded to MLex's comment is being labeled as "The European Commission"

edit: ReBurn ReBurn got it better.

Clearly no "commitment" was made. Microsoft did emphasize that it wouldn't make sense to remove Bethesda games from other platforms in their EU submissions. Ultimately it did not matter as the EU determined that it wouldn't have an impact. That's not the point the FTC is making though. The point is what MS suggested was the case turned out to be the opposite action they took.

This is why I don't trust lawyer bullshit.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's too bad the EU had to correct the FTC's misrepresentations. That's really shady and corrupt. The FTC lied not Microsoft. I don't see them winning anything.

MLex emailed the European Commission about the FTC accusation and they provided a very interesting answer:
Microsoft didn't mislead EU over ZeniMax deal, watchdog says in response to US concerns

US enforcers yesterday suggested that the US tech giant had misled the regulator in 2021 and cited that as a reason to challenge its proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

"The commission cleared the Microsoft/ZeniMax transaction unconditionally as it concluded that the transaction would not raise competition concerns," the EU watchdog said in an emailed statement.

The absence of competition concerns "did not rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax's games," said the commission, which itself has opened an in-depth probe into the Activision Blizzard deal and appears keen to clarify what happened in the previous acquisition.

The EU agency found that even if Microsoft were to restrict access to ZeniMax titles, it wouldn't have a significant impact on competition because rivals wouldn't be denied access to an "essential input," and other consoles would still have a "large array" of attractive content.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from the document that that keeps being quoted that seem to back up the info the EU sent MLex yesterday
(C) Impact on effective competition (125) Even if the combined entity was to engage in a (total or partial) input foreclosure strategy, the Commission considers that such a strategy would not have a material impact on competition in the EEA. Rival consoles would not be deprived of an essential input, and could still rely on a large array of valuable video game content to attract players. (126) This conclusion is consistent with the results of the market investigation. The majority of distributors considered that the Transaction, in general, would have a neutral impact on their company, and no respondent believed that the impact would be negative.129 The majority of distributors also indicated, more specifically, that the impact of a possible exclusivity strategy with regard to ZeniMax games would be neutral on the distribution market.130
126) This conclusion is consistent with the results of the market investigation. The majority of distributors considered that the Transaction, in general, would have a neutral impact on their company, and no respondent believed that the impact would be negative.129 The majority of distributors also indicated, more specifically, that the impact of a possible exclusivity strategy with regard to ZeniMax games would be neutral on the distribution market.130

feynoob

Gold Member
Preach. They're beneficial when you need them (I have them in retainer), but best not to put all your trust in their BS. Just take advantage when they BS for you.
Lawyers can find any loophole easily for you.
I was watching Blacklist, and this lawyer who is going through these lengthy documents, managed to find a one chance loophole.

Even though it's a show, these lawyers can be a trickster.

They used "making available for purchase", which is literally existing.
There is no mention for any future games here.

No, that's complete stupidity. When Starfield releases next year, you are making it available for purchase. That statement applies anything you are putting up for sale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom