• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Items 1 and 2 are arguably bad for the long term quality of CoD

Item 3 is uncertain
You're right. People being able to spend less to play more games and the people who make games having better job security and workplace protections are definitely bad. They should have to work twice as hard and we should have to pay twice as much to make sure Call of Duty remains the shining beacon of quality all other video games should strive to reach.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
See this is one of the big problems, the made up stories. How misinformation just spreads through the air and becomes part of the conversation.

Activision didn’t put itself for sale. Microsoft is the one who proposed it.

You can harp on semantics all you want, but it doesn’t change reality. It’s a deal agreed upon by the two companies. You know, the same type of agreed upon deal people point at all the time to excuse away all the deals Sony makes.

Kotick has given lots of interviews where he talks about why they were looking to be acquired, MS just offered them a check they couldn’t say no to.

feynoob

Are we really back to the "Everybody gets Game Pass for basically nothing" argument again?
Because 5m-10m out of 25m people are using this trick, which is costing MS a lot of money.

Nevermind the fact that this is a monthly recurring service. Not to mention that it's hard to sustain 25m users that way, when they are cancelling their sub in order to get that cheap price.

The UK would collapse if MS as a company left. Every corporation on the planet runs windows. Yes, graphic designers and creators use MAC os but for the business side it's windows, azure, office etc.

Disrespecting regulators isn't smart IMO. Which is why I don't believe they will just pull out of the UK just to keep COD. Which Xbox is only a fraction of Microdofts revenue FYI.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Those devs on those extra teams could've joined studios that made Xbox or 3rd party games, therefore they're taking away something from competitors, by the logic most people use here.

Also if that is the criteria required for your approval, glad to see you approve of every Xbox acquisition so far, as those are massive value adds to Xbox gamers in several ways that anybody not living in Playstation fantasyland is able to see. Xbox gamers will get more games, have less games taken away by Playstation 3rd party exclusives (as Xbox's increase market share makes it more expensive for Sony to buy exclusivity), have way more and better games on their Game Pass subscription. Allows smaller games like Pentiment and Grounded and Hi-Fi Rush to be made that likely wouldn't had they not been given financial freedom of being part of Xbox instead of independent. Only Sony fanboys think this deal wouldn't be a huge win for Xbox gamers (and not talking about fanboy ammunition because fanboys on both sides are annoying)

Personally Xbox being competitive is in the best interest of all gamers, competition is what drives innovation and quality. The main reason people are upset here is not because of "the way they're doing it" but because some people here would rather go to prison than play something that is made by "Xbox". It's quite transparent

The increased Xbox install base making it more expensive for Sony to molest other games with exclusive content or timed exclusive windows is a valid positive for this merger that I didn’t even consider. Let me return the Gold favor someone gave me and gift it to you, great post.

ToadMan

You're right. People being able to spend less to play more games and the people who make games having better job security and workplace protections are definitely bad. They should have to work twice as hard and we should have to pay twice as much to make sure Call of Duty remains the shining beacon of quality all other video games should strive to reach.

Its jot that they’re “bad”. Its that those points are irrelevant to the acquisition conditions for regulators.

vj27

Banned
You have got to be kidding.

People who fibd signing up for discounted GP hard, aren’t gamers who game enough to sign up for GP in the first place.

Yea it does. Just renew after 3 years.

Although I personally won’t.

Well GP subs are low then because that “trick” is still there and renewable.

So tell me - how much do you pay for your GP sub?
Lol I udnserstand gaming is life, as if it’s a natural resource to you like water…. But to the rest of us it’s just a hobby. An if we’re going by statistics, there’s more people within that 25 mill subs that have gamepass charging there cards an aren’t even aware of it than a bunch of us nerds using $1 tricks that requires like 6 hoops to jump through. That’s an actual verifiable thing, the stuff you claimed is literally tales from your hardcore gaming ass. Most people aren’t going to do this, 100% of the people I know that have gamepass don’t do this, I’m on this website and I don’t even do this because it’s $15 lmao I’m not losing half my check from that. Normal people genuinely do not care about monthly charges as much as you think they do.

Last edited:

Elios83

Lol am I seriously reading that some people actually believe that Microsoft would leave the UK if the acquisition is blocked by the CMA (atm likely event)????:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:
It's time to go back to reality, a business is not run by kids and gaming is a minor business for MS overall, they already stated they will move on in case, not even Xbox would be impacted.

gothmog

Gold Member
Disrespecting regulators isn't smart IMO. Which is why I don't believe they will just pull out of the UK just to keep COD. Which Xbox is only a fraction of Microdofts revenue FYI.
It's also kinda old thinking to assume that anyone these days would be paralyzed without Windows. Companies use Windows client machines to consume services because that's what they have traditionally used. Most company functions have pivoted towards using Linux for server compute or buying their needs as a service. Most of these things just need a browser to be accessible.

Microsoft would never even consider this because every business would run from Microsoft products worldwide as fast as they could if they even seriously threatened it. Who would want their company at risk because Xbox didn't own Call of Duty?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Because 5m-10m out of 25m people are using this trick, which is costing MS a lot of money.

Nevermind the fact that this is a monthly recurring service. Not to mention that it's hard to sustain 25m users that way, when they are cancelling their sub in order to get that cheap price.
Come on, if it was 5-10m people then it would mean that everyone was doing it. There's no way it reaches that many people without everyone knowing.

feynoob

It's also kinda old thinking to assume that anyone these days would be paralyzed without Windows. Companies use Windows client machines to consume services because that's what they have traditionally used. Most company functions have pivoted towards using Linux for server compute or buying their needs as a service. Most of these things just need a browser to be accessible.

Microsoft would never even consider this because every business would run from Microsoft products worldwide as fast as they could if they even seriously threatened it. Who would want their company at risk because Xbox didn't own Call of Duty?
Not to mention, there will be a trust issues. Because of their tantrums, MS will be viewed as unstable business.

Astray

I think you're more likely to get new IP from Activision under Microsoft then if they stay independent. Hi Fi Rush, Pentiment and Grounded show Microsoft is willing to let developers follow passion projects.

Gamepass requires a breadth of content, and smaller niche games like Pentiment have found great success being on Gamepass. The whole Gamepass model really allows for studios to take risks on making different experiences.

That's one of my biggest hopes for the acquisition, that some of the very talented studios under Activision will get to work on something other than Call of Duty. Even if the acquisition passes, it's a toss up if that'll happen though, but it's far more likely under Microsoft.
Nobody ever pays 69bn for a successful business then changes it. It's actually far likelier that the leaders of ATVI would change Microsoft's style of managing its studios than the other way around.

If this thing goes through I don't doubt for a single moment that Kotick will eventually become Microsoft gaming overlord.

See this is one of the big problems, the made up stories. How misinformation just spreads through the air and becomes part of the conversation.

Activision didn’t put itself for sale. Microsoft is the one who proposed it.
Whether that's true or not, how does this change the fact that they are willing sellers though?

Jemm

Come on, if it was 5-10m people then it would mean that everyone was doing it. There's no way it reaches that many people without everyone knowing.
Microsoft must have statistics on the usage of all these "tricks". How many use them and how many are eventually converted to full subs etc.
If it was a huge problem, they'd make it harder to avoid payments in the first place.

I don't personally mind paying 15€/month or so for the subscription, since if I played just 3-4 games [through GP] a year, I feel like it has paid itself back.
Also, I'm too lazy to do it otherwise, anyway.

Astray

they'd make it harder to avoid payments in the first place.
They did try to take measures though? They tried to raise the prices of Xbox Gold to make this trick prohibitive to use. The backlash they got was indicative to me that a surprising amount of Xbox's audience is doing this trick.

And honestly, why wouldn't they? If someone is giving money away to you, you take it.

reinking

Gold Member
Are we really back to the "Everybody gets Game Pass for basically nothing" argument again?
Well.. ..anytime the cost of Game Pass is mentioned there are posts discussing how dumb it is to use retail price because of the loopholes. Now, it is different? It's just silly to be upset about the "cost of Game Pass" argument either way since the costs are manipulated for whichever point someone is wanting to make. To be clear, I don't care either way. I will use the loopholes as long as they exist. When those are closed, I will continue to pay a price that I find reasonable.

Last edited:
They did try to take measures though? They tried to raise the prices of Xbox Gold to make this trick prohibitive to use. The backlash they got was indicative to me that a surprising amount of Xbox's audience is doing this trick.

And honestly, why wouldn't they? If someone is giving money away to you, you take it.

If MS wanted to block this they could, it would be as easy as to limit the usage of the promo just once per account.

feynoob

They raised Xbox live gold to make those users Sub to gamepass.
They even want as far as to remove the ability to buy them from their store and Xbox store.
Your only option for these 12 month cards to buy them from retails.

They want to kill Xbox live gold completely. Look at Xbox live monthly games.

splattered

Nobody ever pays 69bn for a successful business then changes it. It's actually far likelier that the leaders of ATVI would change Microsoft's style of managing its studios than the other way around.

If this thing goes through I don't doubt for a single moment that Kotick will eventually become Microsoft gaming overlord.

Whether that's true or not, how does this change the fact that they are willing sellers though?

Not a chance in hell

ToadMan

That is because I am focusing on my college.
I am not playing any game these days, and my last game was Hogwarts legacy, then I decided to turn off all my consoles.

I don't want to distract myself, as my target is getting C at least so I don't have to repeat these classes.

Oh good luck!

When you’re finished you’ll be able to get GP for next to nothing like everyone else 👍

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Where's your source brother?

Edmund

Our boy Senjustu Sage getting quoted in REE. I thought people from REE hate people from gaf?

Our boy Senjustu Sage getting quoted in REE. I thought people from REE hate people from gaf?

i found out he blocked me.....how?

Pelta88

There's been a really strange shift on era. Proving Sony is corrupt via Microsoft's document request, is now the priority. They're so desperate that Gaf's own, assault by endless paragraphs, SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage is now at the helm of that thread. Navigating them through the FTC and CMA regulatory framework.

This deal needs to reach a conclusion asap for the sanity of a few people. A few more weeks and gaf's MAU is sure to take a hit.

Last edited:

aries_71

There's been a really strange shift on era. Proving Sony is corrupt via Microsoft's document request, is now the priority. They're so desperate that Gaf's own, assault by endless paragraphs, SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage is now at the helm of that thread. Navigating them through the FTC and CMA regulatory framework.

This deal needs to reach a conclusion asap for the sanity of a few people. A few more weeks and gaf's MAU is sure to take a hit.
At ERA nobody gives a shit about what is written here. Food for thought.

HoldTheAir

My game pass expired on December 27 due to me temporarily moving to a place in the country with no internet. I move into my new apartment with 1 Gig Xfinity Internet on April 1. Would I be able to get game pass for $1?

feynoob

My game pass expired on December 27 due to me temporarily moving to a place in the country with no internet. I move into my new apartment with 1 Gig Xfinity Internet on April 1. Would I be able to get game pass for $1?
You can. Dont try and activiate that deal though. Buy 3 1 year xbox live gold, and use them on your account. After that, try to use the 1$ coupon.
You get 3 year gamepass that way. Just dont activate the code before you use your gold code, or else you will only get 1 year gamepass.

feynoob

Sony is getting what it deserves and is now desperately trying keep their dirty dealings hidden. This sites bias makes any real conversation around this impossible. The fact that Era is having a better more factual dialogue should be an embarrassment to you all.
And I want to see all the shitty deals which MS did during those years. They probably have embarrassing record.

reksveks

dumb people.
The amount of dumb stuff on that app is too much.
I bought a new phone, which had tiktok. I logged in to see why people liked it. Delated the app after 5min. I couldnt handle it. The amount of stupidty on that app is insane.
Spent the last days fixing the algo, was getting too much of the redpill and hustle culture crap.

I think it was better before when I used the DND shorts/tiktoks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom