• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

I really dont understand how many times I have to repeat the same thing. You dont NEED to spend almost a $100 BILLION to get content on gamepass day one. The entire point of gamepass is that the consistent monthly subs revenue allows them to fund content on a monthly basis. If they have 25 million monthly subs, thats $250 million a month. $3 billion a year. If Guardians costs $5 million then COD shouldnt cost more than $250 million. Even if it does, it's not like they had any CoD level games this year.

You should not have to buy entire publishers to get day one Gamepass titles. They didnt have to buy Sony to get MLB The SHow on gamepass day one, did they? Or Square Enix for Outriders? Or Team Ninja for Wu Long? Osobo for Plague's Tale?

If you do then its a failed model. CoD is just one game. All Activision studios literally just make one game a year. So you spent $75 billion on one game when $250 million wouldve done? Even the Zenimax deal isnt looking too good. No Day One games in 2021. No Day One games in 2022. Just 2 games in 2023. So 2 games in 3 years is worth $8 billion? Why not pay as you go? Which is exactly what Netflix and all the other subscription companies do.

MS allowed themselves to get outbid by Sony on marketing deals preventing gamepass. Why? If they had $85 billion to spend, why couldnt they outbid Sony by a few million on FF16, GhostWire, Deathloop, RE8 etc? Let alone CoD. Especially now that they have this consistent revenue from Gamepass every single month.

Bottomine is that Gamepass was supposed to fund itself. Thats why Phil was able to get Satya onboard. He loves subscriptions. If Satya knew he wouldve had to spend $85 BILLION to have some fucking day one content, he wouldve shut down xbox a long time ago. Imagine if Don Matrick had that kind of money.

A good chance MS just realized that building a service built on a constant need to negotiate for the big content and compete for deals isn't the smart approach. Something that Netflix/Hulu/Amazon all quickly discovered in the video streaming space. It is much better to be the creator of your prime content than competing for it every time. MS didn't spend $70b to put the games on GP, they spent the $70b to acquire a thriving business that consistently generates billions in profits every year and just happens to have IPs that are very popular among its user base. The fact that they will have that content for their sub service at cost and in perpetuity is the icing on the cake (and likely was what got the ball rolling on the deal to begin with).

AAA day ones from third-parties are going to be very expensive, and will get more expensive based on how many GP users there are. MS's in-house content will not cost more to produce because the sub services has grown, nor will the cost be driven up because a competing service is in position to offer a better deal.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but you just said they will remain independent? so as of now? you suggesting that's gonna change
Ffs Snooker GIF by Matchroom

Andodalf

Banned
You have to admit that by Satya's own statements, MS has effectively kneecapped their own acquisition potential for the next several years. With ABK soon under their belt, MS now have 30+ internal development studios, and a combined gaming revenue within spitting distance of PlayStation's. There is your "competition"; they have the revenue and the development resources to theoretically match whatever Sony can provide (both in terms of internal 1P teams and in co-funding/publishing 3P exclusivity deals).

The truth is, MS buying another massive publisher at any point within the next few years, DOES potentially have a case of being called out for anti-competitive/monopolistic practices because by that point they will be buying in abundance of excess. They already have enough IP, developer manpower, developer studios, and gaming revenue streams to compete with Sony and Nintendo...why would they need MORE? I think you guys need to look at Satya's recent comment and realize this is probably him seeing the bigger picture for what I've been describing for a while now.

The growth phase is effectively over. Once MS have ABK, they're good. After that will be the time for them to fully focus on curating the quality of content from these teams they've been buying since 2018, and getting a good string of quality results actually released. MS have to now prove that them buying these teams will lead to an overall benefit, and it will take some years to definitively prove this. Realistically, outside of a studio like maybe Asobo, we aren't going to be talking about MS buying another major publisher or super left-field developer until 2027 at earliest. At which point, we'll be able to tell if their strategy has succeeded, or failed.

And the results of the strategy by that point will absolutely dictate sentiment towards any further big acquisition attempts, as it should. But in either case, it will be a much better look for MS than rushing into yet another notable acquisition right off of ABK.

Ms may not be looking to buy a huge Pub, but something along the lines of I/O, Avalanche, or Certain affinity would cause no problems, and a smaller pubs like Focus would probably be fair game too.

You vastly overestimate MS's current position. Sony was in the lead by a massive margin and still got the Bungie deal to go through. Why would MS not be able to make moves when things are neck and neck?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Studio that will remain independent and third party versus two of the largest (one being the very largest) third party publishers (for decades) in the world that will now be all exclusive.
The Office No GIF

That's expansion for MS, contraction for the overall console market.
Do any people actually believe that Bungie is just going to be able to independently do whatever they want with absolutely no oversight or input from Sony? Sony paid $4 billion to buy them for a reason and Bungie is only going to be independent to the extent that they are fulfilling the goal Sony had for buying them.

are you okay? they don't even own COD yet, that's the whole point of the thread.
I was just answering shitposting with more shitposting. Microsoft said they aren't taking COD off of PlayStation, so the whole notion that they're buying Activision just to make games exclusive is whatever.

In all of these acquisitions gamers lose something. That's just how it goes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do any people actually believe that Bungie is just going to be able to independently do whatever they want with absolutely no oversight or input from Sony? Sony paid $4 billion to buy them for a reason and Bungie is only going to be independent to the extent that they are fulfilling the goal Sony had for buying them.
Read my follow-up post. I am not ignorant to any possibility in the business world.

My point still stands in that post you quoted tho. Which people want to gloss over and not challenge. 1 dev studio that is still third party for now, versus two of the largest decades long third party publishers housing dozens of studios and dozens of established IPs, one being the very largest publisher, to play takeaway and make first party.

Last edited:

Fredrik

are you okay? they don't even own COD yet, that's the whole point of the thread.
And even if they end up owning them it’ll take years until we see any changes when it comes to CoD since Sony has multi-year contracts. Maybe CoD will skip PS6, if CoD even exist by then. Is it still a big deal? No idea

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You're comparing Tomb Raider exclusive to the Activision deal. I don't recall Sony buying a major publisher and making games exclusive.

Do you think
If they could afford to do so they wouldn’t?

Also Microsoft said it intends to keep COD on PS

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Again I will point back to the fact befor this gen started Sony approached all major developers to secure exclusive content. Microsoft just stepping up the game

Also we have Sony paying developers to keep content off gamepass, how consumers friendly is that?
But didn't they do that in response to gamepass?

reksveks

And even if they end up owning them it’ll take years until we see any changes when it comes to CoD since Sony has multi-year contracts. Maybe CoD will skip PS6, if CoD even exist by then. Is it still a big deal? No idea
I suspect it will go on Gamepass as soon as the deal closes barring regulators telling MS it can't. I think MS lawyer's will have found a way and that might include it being ps premium as well.

If they didn't, the section in the blog post a month ago would be a stupid own goal.

It will be interesting to see.

C2brixx

But that’s why it sorta kinda makes sense as a comparison;

Nadellas argument is that Sony is the market leader in the console space. That’s of course true but if we’re taking PC gaming and/or streaming into account they’re not. One could argue that MS as the owner of the Windows OS and DirectX already has a pretty market leading position and influence over gaming as a whole. Bigger than Sony if viewed from that perspective.

Apple doesn’t have a console, so it’s just up for grabs according to the logic of some of the posters here. That’s what I wanted to point out; Sony being the market leader in console business specifically isn’t the only way to view this and looking at it from another perspective one could make an argument MS as a company has a bigger influence, reach and impact already.
Microsoft receives a one time license fee for Windows OS either from OEMs or PC builders. The PC is an open platform. Publishers don't have to pay Microsoft (or any "Store" for that matter) anything to put their games on Windows. Consoles are closed platforms using subsidized hardware. Therefore the platform holders require revenue percentage for every game sold and in some instances micro-transaction.

Ozriel

M$FT
You have to admit that by Satya's own statements, MS has effectively kneecapped their own acquisition potential for the next several years. With ABK soon under their belt, MS now have 30+ internal development studios, and a combined gaming revenue within spitting distance of PlayStation's. There is your "competition"; they have the revenue and the development resources to theoretically match whatever Sony can provide (both in terms of internal 1P teams and in co-funding/publishing 3P exclusivity deals).

The truth is, MS buying another massive publisher at any point within the next few years, DOES potentially have a case of being called out for anti-competitive/monopolistic practices because by that point they will be buying in abundance of excess. They already have enough IP, developer manpower, developer studios, and gaming revenue streams to compete with Sony and Nintendo...why would they need MORE? I think you guys need to look at Satya's recent comment and realize this is probably him seeing the bigger picture for what I've been describing for a while now.

The growth phase is effectively over. Once MS have ABK, they're good. After that will be the time for them to fully focus on curating the quality of content from these teams they've been buying since 2018, and getting a good string of quality results actually released. MS have to now prove that them buying these teams will lead to an overall benefit, and it will take some years to definitively prove this. Realistically, outside of a studio like maybe Asobo, we aren't going to be talking about MS buying another major publisher or super left-field developer until 2027 at earliest. At which point, we'll be able to tell if their strategy has succeeded, or failed.

And the results of the strategy by that point will absolutely dictate sentiment towards any further big acquisition attempts, as it should. But in either case, it will be a much better look for MS than rushing into yet another notable acquisition right off of ABK.

None of this makes any sense, since Sony’s revenues are set to significantly increase with their new PC policy. Up to $15bn in 2025 from PC, I think that’s what they’ve said.

Not to mention the fact that deals below certain thresholds do not undergo intense scrutiny. Sony had no issues getting the $3bn Bungie acquisition over the line, for example. Neither did Embracer when they bought Square’s European outfit.
No regulator is out there waiting with a slide rule to cap acquisitions when Microsoft’s revenues come to parity with Sony’s. Did you see anyone stop the market leader from recent acquisitions?

For Microsoft, this has always been about content for Gamepass. While I think this is definitely the last super publisher they’ll pursue for a long time to come, I would absolutely not be surprised if they picked up smaller developers and push through deals that are much smaller in scope.

Again, this is whataboutism: why do these other companies need to file complaints in order to bring validity to Sony's claims? This is very "everyone jumps off the bridge" mentality here.

Google, Amazon, and Nvidia are not console platform holders. They do not have a vested relationship with ABK that is anywhere near as financially lucrative for them as ABK's is with Sony. Bringing Nintendo into this also doesn't work; those games you mention collectively pull nowhere near the revenue that COD does, and COD happens to be one of THE big ABK IPs (alongside Candy Crush) that are not on Nintendo platforms.

A major part of the CMA’s objections is about the potential for the acquisition to give Microsoft an unfair advantage in cloud streaming. That’s a market where Google and NVIDiA are very invested players. Not sure why you keep twisting this to ‘console platform holders’ only.

Ozriel

M$FT

Even after the Sony deal ends, Microsoft has already provided Sony a legally binding guarantee that should keep COD on PlayStation until at least 2027. Right to the end of the gen.

And more likely it’ll remain multiplatform past that…they’ve provided verbal guarantees to that effect to handle the franchise like Minecraft.

PaintTinJr

So they pay to keep games off gamepass and that’s good for consumers ?

So locking games and content to their own platform is good for consumers?

Microsoft has had to respond to that and that’s buy buying big so that content can still come to gamepass
PlayStation is the market leader in the AAA/AA/A game space, not because Daddy Sony is picking up the tab - quite the opposite as PlayStation has bankrolled many aspects of Sony over the years - they are market leader because publishers have a natural synergy to the company that brings the gamers - the paying customers - to them.

PlayStation might not have been ready to launch a Premium sub, as a gamepass after launch window, but if they didn't use their position then, they had no chance against a company that always had the threat of a war chest in the background - like the $70 billion being used on this deal.

PlayStation reacted to gamepass potentially eating up their opportunity to compete this gen, and as market leader chosen by us, I don't see that as a cynical move that trigger this situation at all. Microsoft doesn't want PlayStation money, it wants PlayStation customers for Microsoft controlled eco systems like Windows and PC and Xcloud. Competition suggests you are both running the same race with the same objective. This activision deal is to help Microsoft take revenue from PlayStation and make them lose, they don't care if Xbox wins - they've paid 2 decades of it losing and haven't stopped, but doubled down with $10 billion spends between Minecraft and Bethesda - they only care that Windows, and by extension Microsoft wins.

If you want someone to blame, blame us as players for wanting companies that make games for their hardware - like PlayStation and Nintendo - to win.

What as gamers are we thinking wanting those that provide us great content to win? /s

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PlayStation is the market leader in the AAA/AA/A game space, not because Daddy Sony is picking up the tab - quite the opposite as PlayStation has bankrolled many aspects of Sony over the years - they are market leader because publishers have a natural synergy to the company that brings the gamers - the paying customers - to them.

PlayStation might not have been ready to launch a Premium sub, as a gamepass after launch window, but if they didn't use their position then, they had no chance against a company that always had the threat of a war chest in the background - like the $70 billion being used on this deal.

PlayStation reacted to gamepass potentially eating up their opportunity to compete this gen, and as market leader chosen by us, I don't see that as a cynical move that trigger this situation at all. Microsoft doesn't want PlayStation money, it wants PlayStation customers for Microsoft controlled eco systems like Windows and PC and Xcloud. Competition suggests you are both running the same race with the same objective. This activision deal is to help Microsoft take revenue from PlayStation and make them lose, they don't care if Xbox wins - they've paid 2 decades of it losing and haven't stopped, but doubled down with $10 billion spends between Minecraft and Bethesda - they only care that Windows, and by extension Microsoft wins.

If you want someone to blame, blame us as players for wanting companies that make games for their hardware - like PlayStation and Nintendo - to win.

What as gamers are we thinking wanting those that provide us great content to win? /s

You forgot how PlayStation got to be the market leader. They paid to keep games off other consoles back in the day,yes they make amazing games I have a PlayStation but they became the leader by weakening the compition by keeping games and content off other consoles.

Let’s not pretend Sony got to be the market leader by just making good games shall we. They made sure their console was the only place to play certain third party games too and content within those games.exactly like the deal with Harry Potter game that’s coming out soon that has content exclusive to Sony console.
Maps and skins exclusive to Sony consoles, content on fortnite exclusive to Sony consoles.

Now they pay to keep content off gamepass, is that for the gamers also?

Kagey K

Banned
PlayStation is the market leader in the AAA/AA/A game space, not because Daddy Sony is picking up the tab - quite the opposite as PlayStation has bankrolled many aspects of Sony over the years
This is wrong on so many levels and I've gone over it extensively with another user here, but playstation wouldn't have survived the PS3 without Daddy Sonys money.

But that's what companies are supposed to do. Tale thier profit and reinvest it into the company to help make more money.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

They could, but that might be interpreted as a sign of caution or uncertainty, which might freak out investors. And investors are the targets of these boilerplate PR statements, not us. We're the ones who have the option to quietly ignore all of this obvious PR talk from both sides and just wait and see what happens without relitigating it on the daily with no new information.
I was trying to find a good way to express this, but you did it for me.

PaintTinJr

You forgot how PlayStation got to be the market leader. They paid to keep games off other consoles back in the day,yes they make amazing games I have a PlayStation but they became the leader by weakening the compition by keeping games and content off other consoles.

Let’s not pretend Sony got to be the market leader by just making good games shall we. They made sure their console was the only place to play certain third party games too and content within those games.exactly like the deal with Harry Potter game that’s coming out soon that has content exclusive to Sony console.
Maps and skins exclusive to Sony consoles, content on fortnite exclusive to Sony consoles.

Now they pay to keep content off gamepass, is that for the gamers also?
Complete revisionist history to suggest that IMO.

Show me where any other console prior to PS1 sold that many devices.

The market was a fraction of the size before PS1, and it was not grown because of exclusive deals, but because they had the desirable hardware at the right time with the marketing message that resonated beyond 16bit gamer market, and all from one of the few bleeding edge electronics mfrs in the world at the time that made electronics devices like lifestyle design pieces.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

This is wrong on so many levels and I've gone over it extensively with another user here, but playstation wouldn't have survived the PS3 without Daddy Sonys money.

But that's what companies are supposed to do. Tale thier profit and reinvest it into the company to help make more money.
Daddy Sony's money was surely mostly the result of PS1 and PS2 propping up the company - at that time - for the 10years before that, no - when their triton license money was gone from CRT demise, etc and hit profit makers like Walkman had been killed by iPod?

But even if that isn't the case, re-read the exact wording I used. I never claimed it was a one-way street, merely that PlayStation had bankrolled many aspects of Sony over the years, which is factually true, is it not?

Kagey K

Banned
Daddy Sony's money was surely mostly the result of PS1 and PS2 propping up the company - at that time - for the 10years before that, no - when their triton license money was gone from CRT demise, etc and hit profit makers like Walkman had been killed by iPod?

But even if that isn't the case, re-read the exact wording I used. I never claimed it was a one-way street, merely that PlayStation had bankrolled many aspects of Sony over the years, which is factually true, is it not?
Again you are wrong. Ps3 lost more than every dollar made from the PSX/PS2. It was being propped up by thier financial division (mostly insurance) and the sale of a lot of real estate.

And again that's fine for a company to do, but trying to fault one and not the other is laughable.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Another dishonest take. Embracer can't assume a dominant position as it doesn't own its own platform. It's 3rd party providing content for different platforms like Tencent.
I wasn't the one who mentioned Embracer had a mighty 127 studios. So why aren't Embracer no 1 in revenue and profit according to your corporate colleague and you? What big games does Embracer make equivalent to COD, Diablo, Halo, Forza etc etc?
I mean you were the person who tried to suggest capping number of studios because "Microsoft has enough studios and IP's" (Probably because "Sony can't afford to buy more, so Microsoft should not be able to do it...") which prompted me to argue with Embracer who bought almost every AA development house available and nobody seem to have problem with that. Like what the fuck even "enough studios and IP's means?" Did get Sony blocked when they bought Sucker Punch in 2011 because Sony had way more studios than Xbox? But of course, they keep their games multiplatform (Embracer) which makes their cases toooootaly different right and they can gobble entire industry, right? Which by accident makes it again about "not hurting Sony."

And if you are arguing with revenue, than there should be no problem got this acquisition approved, since even after that Xbox will be behind Sony in terms of revenue, right? And while you arguing about revenue, did you forgot about Tencent who is gobbling every studio that Embracer did not bought despite being biggest gaming company on the market.

It's just so transparent. If EA and Take-Two merged tomorrow, nobody would be crying about industry consolidation and negative impact of this deal for gaming industry. Because the would keep their games on PlayStation. And that's most important part. It's not about Microsoft having negative impact on industry. It's about Microsoft having negative impact on PlayStation's cashflow and Jimbo's panic about what will happen to his 80€ dream when Microsoft will offer Call of Duty every year in Game Pass and COD fans would spend their money in Microsoft's ecosystem.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Again you are wrong. Ps3 lost more than every dollar made from the PSX/PS2. It was being propped up by thier financial division (mostly insurance) and the sale of a lot of real estate.

And again that's fine for a company to do, but trying to fault one and not the other is laughable.
But the PS1 and PS2 money was speculated within the company and grew - how were those fininancial services divisions setup and paid for? So even your statement isn't truly accurate because PS1 and PS2 paid their way and far more. even the original PS1 costs would have been lost as a failed venture with Nintendo for another department had PS1 not transformed that loss into a product of its own, and all the developers they set up and owned didn't just shutdown, they continued to generate revenue far beyond PS3, which again is money you won't be crediting to PlayStation 3 as a gain. Simple equation says that PlayStation as a division has contributed far more to Sony than it has taken. If the same was true of Xbox in any generation the financials of the division wouldn't be opaque and blended into other divisions.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Complete revisionist history to suggest that IMO.

Show me where any other console prior to PS1 sold that many devices.

The market was a fraction of the size before PS1, and it was not grown because of exclusive deals, but because they had the desirable hardware at the right time with the marketing message that resonated beyond 16bit gamer market, and all from one of the few bleeding edge electronics mfrs in the world at the time that made electronics devices like lifestyle design pieces.

The Super Nintendo sold 49 million consoles compared to 45million ps1’s

The ps2 is where it really kicked off but don’t forget it also a really good dvd player so it killed two birds with one stone. It had some great games on there to

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

The Super Nintendo sold 49 million consoles compared to 45million ps1’s

The ps2 is where it really kicked off but don’t forget it also a really good dvd player so it killed two birds with one stone. It had some great games on there to
Which country? Am I reading it wrong on wiki? I thought it sold +100M worldwide, is that not true?

Louay

It's true let MS compete, it's not their Problem other companies not investing in Cloud which is these regulators problem.
it's not MS problem sony don't want to buy publishers or don't want push cloud when they can.
It's not MS problem other big companies like amazon, Apple seems like don't want enter the market in big way.
like seriously EA and UBI opening their legs come get us, buying them both will take away shares from Xcloud and PS now.... and make you compete in this market.

so its ok for Sony to buy studios but Microsoft should make their own studios instead, yeah right!!!
MS is long enough in de gaming industry, they could have build great studio's like sony did. Sony bought in the years of the PS1 and 2 and 3 smaller studio's like Naughty Dog and Guerrilla and some others and helped them grow. And look where they are now.
But MS bought some bigger studio's but whe know what happend very often. You get my drift. MS did not do what Sony did with they're studios.
They had more studios, now they have less and now it would take time to grow studios. And now they are buying whole publishers, when they have them and threat them like the studios they have, that could be a bad Omen ....

Last edited:
Lol, no. My profession requires me to keep up with all of this.

No, it is literally the opposite. While rising interest rates results in more expensive liquidity for all companies who need/choose to debt financing, the largest and most fundamentally sound companies (think blue chip, and Microsoft is the most blueish of blue chip) are the most insulated against interest rate hikes as they will be granted the most favorable borrowing terms. More importantly, Microsoft is not financing the deal with debt; it is an all cash deal with no related borrowings so rising interest rates has no impact on the cost of the acquisition.

Also no, not every company borrows money to finance operations, many businesses can and do run on 100% equity.

This is pure conspiracy theory bullshit. The idea that regulators will allow/block the deal based on current macroeconomic events as opposed to whether or not it violates antitrust regulations is dumb. Sorry if this sounds harsh but there isn't a nicer way to communicate this.

Btw, should you choose to respond with claims of me coming from a "Sony fanboy/console warrior" perspective, you should know that I fully support the deal in principle and legality. But for you and many others here saying that the deal is a slam dunk or that claims of antitrust concerns are meritless, these sorts of comments are fraught with ignorance.

Nah, don't mean to suggest you are coming at it from a console warrior perspective, just assumed you maybe didn't pay attention as much, so no harm no fuss.

I admit to not knowing what profession you are in, but I would argue my profession in particular uniquely puts me in an excellent position to understand how these factors impact companies like Microsoft, and probably a bit better than you might suspect because the company I'm a regional manager for directly does business with companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Sony, Disney, Intel, Nvidia and a whole host of others. We are even a provider of services to a lot of major game development studios, especially when a new AAA studio is being opened up tied to one of our partners or they're growing for a big project or need to add a new team. It's like Christmas here when that happens. This includes providing various hardware and software network solutions.

They provide us with a list of what they want, but a lot of times we offer them our packages that tend to be more extensive than what they were requesting at a similar price - we are one of the few companies in the business that eat that cost for our customers and have been doing so for years. Ironically, to make this sustainable, many of the below management employees get paid BETTER than upper management as a result, and they're just fine with that. Philosophy is they pay the people what they're worth and management gladly takes much less to keep company firing on all cylinders. It's a tough policy to replicate for competition because few top execs would ever want to be getting paid much worse than a lot of employees they view as being beneath them. We also do a lot of server work, workstations, data retention services/data security.

We also provide extra services or guarantees that probably go well beyond industry standard (the cost we place on ourselves for this aspect of our work is definitely not standard for other competitors) for situations where if a sudden fire should break out or a natural disaster hits the area, is the company data safe? Our real-time offsite data protection people are some of the most brilliant people I've ever come across in any field, and multiple companies, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Apple, Disney, just to name a few, have been poaching our very best consistently since like 2016 or a bit before.

Shit, I even got a job offer or two, but declined each time for family reasons and just plain being too scared to leave a job this secure that more or less changed my life. Would only leave if it were somehow going out of business, but I would be prepared to go down with the ship. Good people here. Management doesn't mind when all these companies poach our employees because it then leads to people who loved working here being in positions to keep the contracts coming, and even opening up bigger opportunities for us. So when they poach one of us we just earn even more internal boosters and advocates for what we do best in the bigger companies. There are very few major games publisher in gaming today we have likely not done business with in one form or another. Yes, that includes non U.S. publishers like Ubisoft, Bandai, Capcom etc. To my knowledge, the only company I can't ever recall us working with is Nintendo, but I suspect that could end up changing in the next 2 years. We even have movie contracts. All 3 John Wick movies being the highlights.

I said all that to provide background for the most important part of of this post. No matter what you might think about how much Microsoft is insulated against interest rate hikes, companies like mine that these companies do business with and get important services from (largely to avoid having to retain too many of their own full-time employees that do the work) are not nearly as fortunate. As much business as we do, we don't get whatever special privileges Microsoft, Apple, Amazon or Google might be receiving, at least probably nowhere near to the same degree. Interest rate hikes kick our ass, and when our costs inevitably go up to do business, Microsoft's and everybody else's costs that we work with also goes up because we have to increase our prices. And because they all pay those increased prices without complaint, that alone is proof interest rate hikes do, in fact, affect them all because it affects the outside contractors and businesses that they need to pay more.

So, yes, that's why I stand by what I said. This deal is a slam dunk. There are factors at play here that go well beyond what everybody is paying attention to and talking about. I said before Activision has nearly 10,000 employees. The number of additional jobs that are intertwined for better or worse with the two companies (Microsoft and Activision Blizzard) looking to close this transaction is very likely many times that figure. They're always going to pick what they feel is the better outcome for jobs over specific industry competition concerns.

Louay

I don't understand MS buying publishers is competing in market, what do you want MS do ? swallowing all 3P independent studios and paying for AAA timed Deals ? so you are saying instead of paying 7.5B on Bethesda, you want them go sony way and money hat games AAA Game with that 7.5B ? let see AAA Game will cost 100m for timed deal, so 7.5B is pretty much 75 AAA Game.... this is not competing this is suffocating the competition.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
MS is long enough in de gaming industry, they could have build great studio's like sony did. Sony bought in the years of the PS1 and 2 smaller studio's like Naughty Dog and Guerrilla and some others and helped them grow. And look where they are now.
But MS bought some bigger studio's but whe know what happend very often. You get my drift. MS did not do what Sony did with they're studios.
They had more studios, now they have less and now it would take time to grow studios. And now they are buying whole publishers, when they have them and threat them like the studios they have, that could be a bad Omen ....

Different leadership has different ideas. They had a strong tie with Bungie but Bungie wanted to do something different and went with activision and bizarre creations went that way to.

Sony have let studios go to the wall too, it happens and not because they don’t produce good games. Look at the drive club creator.

Both companies do the same thing, like I said earlier if Sony had the money to buy activision they would 100%

Also recently Sony bought Bungie, not long ago bought insomniac and a few other studios. They are bolstering their studios to.

Also as I said befor they are paying companies to keep their games of gamepass. That’s as shitty Stopping gamepass subscribers from having a better deal with more games

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

just a reminder that Sony is paying for multipltform games to be exclusive or timed exclusive. Microsoft had to respond to this or it would of been another gen like last gen with PS dominance

PaintTinJr

Also as I said before they are paying companies to keep their games off of gamepass. That’s as shitty Stopping gamepass subscribers from having a better deal with more games
Reading that feels delusional. If gamepass is able to corner the market - which is their(Microsoft's) sole objective - the amount of content will be drip fed - like it is with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc - and prices will rise to whatever they can get away with.

There is no better value on offer coming, it is only going to be more expensive.

Surely it is shittier that they don't even put timely advertised games on the service - like Starfield - when stated meaning any consumer that had subbed just for that has effectively been robbed with a bait and switch, and that's got nothing to do with PlayStation, just a convenient scenario where Microsoft profits more by failing to deliver games, is it not?

/edit
Also, when did being off gamepass get held in the same regard as an all out paid exclusive of a multi-plat developed game? The games are still available to let consumers buy copies from the publisher on xbox and PC are they not - ie the norm of dev gets paid full price for development and gamer gets access to the game?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Reading that feels delusional. If gamepass is able to corner the market - which is their(Microsoft's) sole objective - the amount of content will be drip fed - like it is with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc - and prices will rise to whatever they can get away with.

There is no better value on offer coming, it is only going to be more expensive.

Surely it is shittier that they don't even put timely advertised games on the service - like Starfield - when stated meaning any consumer that had subbed just for that has effectively been robbed with a bait and switch, and that's got nothing to do with PlayStation, just a convenient scenario where Microsoft profits more by failing to deliver games, is it not?

so Sony is claiming that it is protecting gamers by going against the activist deal, a deal which would allow gamers to sub to a service that would enable them to play call of duty at a much lower price instead of buying it and hundreds of other games to. people know games come and go on gamepass but all Microsoft games stay on gamepass

star field bait and robbed? the game is not even out yet and the consumer can choose to sub to gamepass or buy the game from day one. that pro consumer choice. Sony service you don't get games day one you have to choose to wait or buy day one

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

[/URL][/URL]

just a reminder that Sony is paying for multipltform games to be exclusive or timed exclusive. Microsoft had to respond to this or it would of been another gen like last gen with PS dominance
Even if your linked rumour is true, these games are on PC too, and playable by cloud services on a smartphone are they not? Isn't that the shield that Xbox owners use in regards of this acquisition potentially resulting in IPs being taken off of PlayStation forever? always suggesting it is the gamer's issue, no?

But unlike that scenario, PlayStation is successful in all markets that Xbox is, and all the rest of the world too, and Japan - where most of the exclusive deals bother you - is their home turf and Japanese companies always try to support each other where possible, whether Sony using Philips CD players in PS1 IIRC, so these console exclusive deals are as much helpful to the publisher as PlayStation. The games get additional marketing reach and even give games a desirability on other console platforms they otherwise wouldn't get.

Look at Deathloop, at a technical level it looks like an upscaled version of (old game for PS2/GC/Xbox) XIII of AA/A graphics fidelity, and yet, give it timed console exclusion and it is a moth to a flame situation on gamepass - possibly even a delayed result of PlayStation's massive showing of the game at every reveal/state of play. The Deathloop IP has massively benefitted commercially from the deal with PlayStation when it could have been forgotten quickly, and as gamers, the devs getting paid to then do more games is surely in our best interests, no?

If Xbox had the market position PlayStation has earned through self generated success, it would get the same deals - other than maybe Japan.

At the peak of 360 success Xbox brokered a deal with Ubisoft for AC, meaning that even at PS4 launch the AC game of the time was trapped at 900p and XB1 settings on PS4 because of a better/parity clause contract that had been running for years. Ubisoft picked the wrong synergy long term and AC has fallen from grace slightly because of that. This could happen for games that are timed console exclusive to PlayStation, so it is all a gamble for all concerned and not set in stone, things can change if the change is driven by Xbox's in-house first party offerings, like it is for Nintendo and PlayStation, not by using gamepass to disadvantage the poorer market leader or by buying up the most successful AAA/AA game publisher at $70 billion.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People thinking Microsoft are doing this to get COD are crazy to me.

How can people think MS are only doing this to get cod but then understand Sony bought bungie not for a 3.5 billion destiny purchase but for their expertise in gaas games etc just blows my mind.

Three

Do you think
If they could afford to do so they wouldn’t?

Also Microsoft said it intends to keep COD on PS
Embracer just bought the IP in question (Tomb Raider), in addition to Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, and Thief for $300M. Do you honestly think Sony couldn't afford $300M? Buying IPs isn't what they would do "if they could afford it".

People thinking Microsoft are doing this to get COD are crazy to me.

How can people think MS are only doing this to get cod but then understand Sony bought bungie not for a 3.5 billion destiny purchase but for their expertise in gaas games etc just blows my mind.
If this wasn't about also securing COD, Diablo, WoW etc for a subscription service then you can bet they could have made very early concessions to get this through much quicker and much cheaper. Out of curiosity what do you think it's mainly about for MS? King and mobile?

Last edited:
Different leadership has different ideas. They had a strong tie with Bungie but Bungie wanted to do something different and went with activision and bizarre creations went that way to.

Sony have let studios go to the wall too, it happens and not because they don’t produce good games. Look at the drive club creator.

Both companies do the same thing, like I said earlier if Sony had the money to buy activision they would 100%

Also recently Sony bought Bungie, not long ago bought insomniac and a few other studios. They are bolstering their studios to.

Also as I said befor they are paying companies to keep their games of gamepass. That’s as shitty Stopping gamepass subscribers from having a better deal with more games
Yeah, the driveclub creator made a mess of the game in especialy the multiplayer that was a mess for months. But Sony did not let go as many studios that MS dumped ore ending the contract. Fact is that Sony is maniging studios better then MS. That Sony bought Bungie was a reaction to the buying spree of MS. Sony bought only a few developers, and with insomniac they had a long relationship and Insomniac saw that they could not survive on theyr own.

And Bungie is staying third party. That Sony is paying a few developers to keep theyr games of GP is a meme. some developers agreed in the contract to bring theyr games not to subscripting services for a year. Thats not keeping the games forever of Gamepass.

MS is byuing whole publishers with the intention to bring all the games to Gamepass to get more subscribers to Gamepass cous GP is not growing at a rate that MS wants.
Its clear that you are a GP defender, thats you right.
But calling Sony practices shitty, is deflecting what MS is trying to push. I'am calling MS practices shitty cous they are trying to change te gamingindustry at theyr demand, just as they did with the whole OS for PC's

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Embracer just bought the IP in question (Tomb Raider), in addition to Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, and Thief for $300M. Do you honestly think Sony couldn't afford $300M? Buying IPs isn't what they would do "if they could afford it".

If this wasn't about also securing COD, Diablo, WoW etc for a subscription service then you can bet they could have made very early concessions to get this through much quicker and much cheaper. Out of curiosity what do you think it's mainly about for MS? King and mobile?

I think its about all of it and also gaining thousands of developers straight away.

From what I've heard, devs are becoming harder and harder to hire due to lack of talent and the amount required for projects is increasing with every release.

They don't just magically grow on trees and it's hard to nurture new studios because of it.

I think for Ms it's huge to get king and all the ip as well but everyone seems ro just be focused on the cod ip. I think its about a lot more than that.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

There you said it, it isn’t just about COD the other games you mentioned to.

Tomb raider as an ip isn’t as valuable as it once was. Maybe they see uncharted as the money maker that tomb raider isn’t these days so that ip sale could mean nothing to them when they already have the biggest competitor to that game on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom