• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Ah so thats what that is. Tbf this isn't as bad as the patent made it look. More just 'additional images' sort of thing. Terribly used here though. Like horrifically used!

Also he talks to his Xbox. No. Don't do that.

Anyway what could this be useful for?
- Things happening around you, more peripheral vision stuff that would usually be surround sound only.

Problem is I see that as more sudden flashes of light, nothing very complex.
No idea what this is trying to do.

Great.....if you live in a completely empty and white room.

Stuff like making the room shake is cool. Basically it uses the objects in your room.

looks retarded.

There are stronger words with less horrible connotations you could use.

Ok this is awesome, but why there's no main character's body? lol
It seems expensive and it needs more processing power to render the additional elements though.

Ms has a patent regarding that. Using kinect or any other tracking device that can eye track, they see where you are looking at to render that area at full detail, and all the others with much lower detail and lower res...

The patent was developed as a part of this projection technology, and apparently the testers could not see the difference between it and the completely full resolution/detail image.

In the video it seems like the projector would need to be somewhere near the player. A projector on the controller would be interesting...

Ok this is awesome, but why there's no main character's body? lol
It seems expensive and it needs more processing power to render the additional elements though.

Yeah, it's weird, but it does emphasize the focal point of the main display. Perhaps the new AMD graphics part will repurpose the Eyefinity tech for this.

reektann

Remember the Kinect videos like that though. What we got was nothing like the video showed. "XBOX SCAN MY SKATEBOARD !!"

Wasn't this already done in 2005? Old news.

img1580.jpg

...Seriously though I dunno how this is going to work in most peoples living spaces. I mean my parents had a room that would work for that in the basement, but they also had a bigger living area in a house. I feel like if this works anything like the current kinect, it is going to be complete crud. Wasn't the kinect supposed to scan skateboards? And what happened about me getting at Velocity Girls goods; I am still waiting, Allard?

Guevara

welp, time to get a new TV, these things are becoming like cellphones

It does feel like this doesn't it? The industry would love it if everyone upgraded their sets every year, so they keep trying stupid features (internet connected TVs, this thing, 3D). Meanwhile my 6 year old Bravia is still doing fine.

Interesting. Could be a very immersive (uh-oh I used the word) experience. While whats on the TV is most important your whole field of view is active.
Not nearly as immersive as Oculus Rift. Its an added bonus. But the focus on the screen with the actual room just breaks the immersion for me.
I forgot this was around the corner too. Still a fun concept.

Not nearly as immersive as Oculus Rift. Its an added bonus. But the focus on the screen with the actual room just breaks the immersion for me.

Het_Nkik

Like, 95% of it looked distracting as hell. I liked the snowfall, though. Could be good for ambient effects like that. I don't need the entire environment rendered around me in a different color and at a slight lag. That looked annoying.

sangreal

This looks like some sophisticated ambilight, only with projectors on the ceiling or something?

Interesting, I fucking love my Philips Ambilight for gaming.

What I was thinking. Seems to take this concept to the extreme. Definitely interesting

My dog will flip his shit if I ever buy this.

And I propably will.

My dog already can't be in the same room as me when I'm gaming. If I raise my voice even a little(I yell at my games), she thinks someone is mad at her. But yeah, all these lights would freak her out. Extending the game out like in the video seemed distracting as hell. Ambient light and weather effects, though, is really cool.

tipoo

Banned
So where does the light come from? The display? The console? Or some sort of disco ball in the center of the room? Because how would it get around obstructions otherwise?

Its kind of surprising they showed this now. MS pulled out of CES. And you'd think they'd keep this for E3 if it will be part of the next Xbox.

Smaller things like sparks and bullets coming out of the screen and the snow look really nice. Having the entire viewpoint expanded looks too distracting. A lot of interesting possibilities though.

neptunes

I'm sorry, but this looks like gimmicky shit, doesn't seem all that immersive.

edit: I'm referring to the "Expanded gameplay" parts, the atmospheric projections seem pretty cool.

Alx

At that point, with as cheap as Kinects are now, it's a wonder they just didn't build the Kinect into the TV.

That's the usual plan for 3D cameras : having them integrated in all sort of device.
But in that case, the camera should be independent from the TV since it is supposed to scan it with the rest of the environment.

This projection thing is interesting (very gimmicky though). I wonder how they consider calibrating it. Maybe having the screen display a specific pattern for the camera to recognize...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Making it appear as if the room is shaking was pretty cool also the more minimalist effects like the snow or occasional laser beam flying past look better than the whole image being projected.

But oculus requires you to use a big ass helmet to use, this requires you to wear no extra equipment, which also counts on immersion... I can see an approach like that being better suited to long uses than a VR helmet.

Top Bottom