• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

quest

Not Banned from OT
God damn that is damn cool. The snow fall effect was very awesome and could really help with immersion. I see a ton of potiental in a device like that.

Would need to be configured to have exactly the same latency as the TV, otherwise it'll look horrible. Well... even more horrible.

Just wait for the Playstation 4D coming this holiday to Zoos and Amusement Parks worldwide!

rollerken.jpg

KageMaru

The idea, and video, are cool.

Not really sold on the idea though. Doesn't look practical and it's almost distracting IMO

Not even close to anything like surround video unless it actually shows in-game objects in real time with screen. This won't work at all with competitive gaming. I use headphones which emulate 5.1 surround sound in shooters so I can hear footsteps more precisely before I get shot. That's a legit extension of sound. Meanwhile this thing will just be a huge distraction in competitive games.
I don't agree. The footage even showcases the benefit of an exo-screen, expanded HUD with spatially-correct threat indicator. Could highlight important items or features of the landscape or indicate player/item status without the need for more HUD elements rendered in the main display.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's cool, but I can't say I really care about it. I definitely wouldn't pay for it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Given my love of surround sound, this fits right in with adding to my gaming/viewing experiences. Very intrigued.

Karak

Also big props to MS for showing that demo AND for having the advertisement show stuff along the walls. Far from what I originally expected them to show.

Raide

Would like to see a game that plays normally and then when you use a certain vision mode, it starts projecting all over the place. Imagine Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory like) where you use the various modes and wireframe layouts, or electricity cables etc show up.

the story here tho is M$+Samsung.. hmm

I like the idea too..

They've been "together" throughout the 360, MS choosing Samsung as their TVs of choice.

Video felt like I was having an epileptic fit. Very distracting, not sure it creates immersion, going off that, rather just a huge headache.

Vol5

Why do MS research stuff like this? It looks terrible and distracting at best. How would this work on anything but you sat in the middle of the room?

Another pointless attempt to stay technologically relevant from MS I feel. They could have spent a fortune on VR and destroyed the competition with a real, innovative headset that really immerses you, instead were given a light show that will add nothing to your game and you'll probably turn off after 10 minutes anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
The idea, and video, are cool.

Not really sold on the idea though. Doesn't look practical and it's almost distracting IMO

That is my concern as well. Images rolling over all of your furniture kind of ruins it and would get on my nerves. Would have to be in an empty room to really get the most out of it.

It looks cool but wouldn't you need a (probably very) expensive projector behind you to pull this off? This will be one of those things that wont hit mass market simply due to the price.

Not really, the images projected were not HD, you could probably get the same effect from those $90 projectors they sell at Toys R Us.

Cooler than expected, but the frame rate those games were running were disgusting, not to mention they were ugly. Seems expensive processing wise to increase the rendering resolution considerably for this.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Love to see this for horror games. Have things outside the screen jump out at you just to scare the crap out of you. Also be cool for a UFC game project the octagon around you to really suck you in to the game. Racing games is a no brainer weather effects and cars come up on your side.

TheMan

i'm really surprised at the positive reactions this monstrosity is receiving

to me it looks like distracting and gimmicky bullshit

Persona86

Banned
Meh....looks really gimmicky, not even close to the potential of something like Oculus Rift.

Still this would be pretty trippy and cool at a party or something.

derFeef

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-research-shows-off-illumiroom-project-at-ces/
IllumiRoom uses a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector to blur the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds. For example, our system can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.

Our system uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics. What you see in the videos below has been captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production.

IllumiRoom seems official name? thread title change I guess :)

Love to see this for horror games. Have things outside the screen jump out at you just to scare the crap out of you. Also be cool for a UFC game project the octagon around you to really suck you in to the game. Racing games is a no brainer weather effects and cars come up on your side.

This is a little off topic, but your comment just made me remember something. First let me explain that I love playing Fight Night Round 3's "Get In The Ring" mode, which is basically first-person boxing. Now imagine playing that with the oculus rift.

SPDIF

Why do MS research stuff like this? It looks terrible and distracting at best. How would this work on anything but you sat in the middle of the room?

Another pointless attempt to stay technologically relevant from MS I feel. They could have spent a fortune on VR and destroyed the competition with a real, innovative headset that really immerses you, instead were given a light show that will add nothing to your game and you'll probably turn off after 10 minutes anyway.

They spend billions on research and development. I'm sure it's quite possible for them to be working on VR as well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this would be badass in a racing game. The effect might actually be convincing: imagine driving through a tunnel, street lights pulsing through your living room. And then you reach the exit to outside, and your room explodes into a sunny, blue-sky ambiance.

So could this be used to project a map of the world or track layout on the floor in front of you? That would be pretty neat too.

Important to remember that I don't think the use of atmospheric rain/snow or even direct expansion of your view is meant to be looked at directly (unlike the possibility I mentioned above). It might look weird to see that powerup that is floating above you shelf but I think the idea is that you see such a thing out of the corner of your eye. In that way I think it could work well even for competitive games.

I'd be worried that the field of view available on the TV might be heavily narrowed when this is turned on though.

Wow, they're trying to out-gimmick Nintendo. That looks terrible. It would look a thousand times better if you just have a larger TV, or even just sit closer to it.

Raide

New prototype tech should be interesting to everyone. Like Kinect was, it might not be amazing but at least they are trying to innovate. Some of the Kinect stuff that appeared afterwards was awesome to see.

Most people think motion and touch control is gimmicky bullshit, but this, steambox and occulus rift seem to get a free pass.

params7

Banned
I think this would be badass in a racing game. The effect might actually be convincing: imagine driving through a tunnel, street lights pulsing through your living room. And then you reach the exit to outside, and your room explodes into a sunny, blue-sky ambiance.

Now THAT would be amazing. It could work with atmospheric games as extension of the generic atmosphere. But other than that, I don't want an extended HUD being display over my coffee mugs and game covers next to my TV lol

Top Bottom