• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not at all an artist, nor am I interested in this product, but that dial is like... a really great idea. Really intuitive looking and generic enough to probably have a zillion use cases. Pretty impressed actually.

DGaio

Finally some proper competition to the iMac line in the right direction - which needs a good shake up honestly. There were rumours about Apple doing something similar to this. Hopefully they can finally wake up and at the least bring something smiliar to the Apple ecosystem.

Bsigg12

I would really like to play around with one. I wonder if our ad department would consider getting one, it seems right up their alley with how often I see them with new things.

MJPIA

Looking at the Surface's dial's page makes me curious.
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Dial/productID.5074013900
Battery life
12 months typical (4-hour daily use)
Wireless
Bluetooth Low Energy
Frequency: 2.40 GHz
Range: 2 meters
Capacitive-touchscreen detectable (Studio only)
Power
2 AAA alkaline batteries (included)
Features
Press and hold: For menu
Rotate: Freely/continuously (both directions); 0.30 N-cm resistance torque
Click: Activates a momentary switch with 300g force; Rotate detection functional in up and down button positions
Dynamic feedback: Provides tactile feedback in software adjustable increments
On-screen detection: Touch digitizer reports the onscreen location through a capacitive pattern (Studio only)
What exactly is so different about the Studio's digitizer that makes the dial not work on other devices?
I just can't see how they'd make the capacitive pattern such that the dial only recognizes the Studio.

Also curious why PewPew Shooter is listed as a compatible app because a simple google only comes up with a phone game from 2009 and I doubt that is it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How the hell can they charge o much, with GTX 900M GPU?

And how the hell will something that thin, cool a GTX 980M?

Baffling decisions.\

I think the 980m is better performance than the 1060 laptop I believe. But I think people are assuming that a 1080 or 1070 laptop chip would fit and I believe that is not the case.

The 1060 is faster at a much lower TDP.

sikkinixx

Cool idea, much like the Surface Book, and crazy expensive, much like the Surface Book. Especially given the specs. Hopefully it trickles down in price eventually.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yep, the GPU is a straight-up bad pick.

The base station isn't miniscule. 1.3" thick. No screen or battery or other things in the base station to worry about. Presumably they'll be using fancy heat stuff as in the Surface Book, which apparently can take a 965m thermally speaking as we discovered today.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
How the hell can they charge o much, with GTX 900M GPU?

Well, it is a 28" display, so maybe they have more room to cool it.

However, it would have been nice to have a newer GPU.

RoKKeR

Just popping in to say that this is an incredible looking product. I wish I had a good enough reason to justify even considering it, but I don't. (I suppose editing photos would be great on it)

Would love to see one in person, though. That screen and hinge are seriously impressive.

K.Jack

The base station isn't miniscule. 1.3" thick. No screen or battery or other things in the base station to worry about. Presumably they'll be using fancy heat stuff as in the Surface Book, which apparently can take a 965m thermally speaking as we discovered today.

Man, if they cool the 980M in something o compact, they've literally pulled off something no gaming laptop maker achieved. I've seen a pic of the rear, and there's no worthwhile venting. Where will the heat go? I'd love to see the underside. The cooling solution better be god-tier.

I know they're pointing the marketing toward artists, but ff this wasn't a gaming device, Microsoft shouldn't have included a built in Xbox dongle, which also makes the choice of GPU even harder to understand.

The inclusion of the GTX 965M, in the new Book, is somehow even more head scratching, for me. If it can cool that thing, why did they even go with a GT 940M w/ GDDR5 last time? The 950M, 960M, and 965M were all available back in October of 2015 too.

Why not wait a month, to gain Kaby and Pascal combos? Because of wanting to beat the Apple event? Tsk, tsk. They're gonna look dumb in the long run.

p.s. - the marketing is off too. It's being reported that the graphics power has doubled, when it's probably tripled.

Man, if they cool the 980M in something o compact, they've literally pulled off something no gaming laptop maker achieved. I've seen a pic of the rear, and there's no worthwhile venting. Where will the heat go? I'd love to see the underside. The cooling solution better be god-tier.

I know they're pointing the marketing toward artists, but ff this wasn't a gaming device, Microsoft shouldn't have included a built in Xbox dongle, which also makes the choice of GPU even harder to understand.

The inclusion of the GTX 965M, in the new Book, is somehow even more head scratching, for me. If it can cool that thing, why did they even go with a GT 940M w/ GDDR5 last time? The 950M, 960M, and 965M were all available back in October of 2015 too.

Why not wait a month, to gain Kaby and Pascal combos? Because of wanting to beat the Apple event? Tsk, tsk. They're gonna look dumb in the long run.

p.s. - the marketing is off too. It's being reported that the graphics power has doubled, when it's probably tripled.

Did you see the new Razer Blade Pro?

Loving the design but I wish they put in at least a 1070m in this thing. I'm sure Microsoft got a very good deal on the Geforce 9xx series hence seeing them both the Studio and the new Book.

Gorgeous, well designed, specs are a bit meh though but a great first start from Microsoft. Can't wait for the Surface Pro 5 and even the Scorpio now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
when they put the knob on the scren you're like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

K.Jack

Did you see the new Razer Blade Pro?

Don't get me started on that sleek piece of insanity. It should be physically impossible to cool a GTX 1080 in a machine that thin. There's just no way.

I will eat a bowl of grapevines, live on camera, if they pull it off. I feel safe.

If we count the size and thickness of just the base of a laptop, is it really unprecedented? The new Razer Blade 17" thing supposedly has a GTX1080... in like <1" of thickness including the screen. I agree the lack of visible venting is puzzling. But it wouldn't surprise me if it throttles - wouldn't be the first Surface product to do it.

It was never really aimed at gamers so I guess maybe they thought they didn't need it and the extra battery life from lower power consumption was more important?

The choice of 900 series over 1000 makes me think that they're intending to sell limited quantities and maybe they got a good deal on using the older stuff.

MJPIA

q9wgjGb.jpg
Pretty sure its got a blower fan in there.

Apath

This looks nice and seems very innovative, but Microsoft's Surface line is bug ridden and glitchy as hell. I would not trust them enough to sink $3k into this.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
If we count the size and thickness of just the base of a laptop, is it really unprecedented? The new Razer Blade 17" thing supposedly has a GTX1080... in like <1" of thickness including the screen. I agree the lack of visible venting is puzzling. But it wouldn't surprise me if it throttles - wouldn't be the first Surface product to do it.

It was never really aimed at gamers so I guess maybe they thought they didn't need it and the extra battery life from lower power consumption was more important?

The choice of 900 series over 1000 makes me think that they're intending to sell limited quantities and maybe they got a good deal on using the older stuff.

1000's series when you compare model to model ends up using less power even in mobile space. They def got a good deal on 900 series.

Example with 1070 in mobile device it's about 10w more power usage wise than 980m, however NV allows manufacturers to tune the boost clock to better fit thermal envelope they want. So we are looking at over 70% performance increase over 980m for 10w diff or they could tweak it for same TDP and still well over 60% performance gains.

Oh well always look forward to KabyLake & 1000 series next year lol.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What's the point of the dial? Seems gimmicky af

wut? You seriously need to see some hands on dial videos.that shit is game changer for artists. I cant imagine why it took someome this long to come up with it.

Korey

wut? You seriously need to see some hands on dial videos.that shit is game changer for artists. I cant imagine why it took someome this long to come up with it.

Can you link me to some? I don't understand why you'd need a dial for a palette.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Also, find it really strange they went with shitty hybrid drives. NVMe drives for creation would have been perfect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What's the point of the dial? Seems gimmicky af

when i had an intuos, the touch ring was so incredibly powerful and learned i couldn't live without it.

this is much of the same concept except it has a user interface to accompany it among other unique applications (like that ruler seen in hands on videos)

I really dislike the buggy ass Surface 4 that I use at work but I'll be damned if this commercial didn't get me hyped af. Perfect song choice, awesome editing, beautiful device.

Too bad it's price is so high. Hoping Asus or somebody else copies it for much cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom