• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox One without Kinect for $399, releases June 9th

DedValve

Banned
And it is your god given right to make poor decisions.

If we are talking about Bungie halo's then yeah I'd agree with you but even the casual majority of players abandoned Halo 4 first chance they got. Halo 2/3 had LEGS, so did reach. Even Call of Duty and BF has legs despite yearly releases.

FoggyFreek

Some people have become invested in the XB1 failing. Some of it is run of the mill console wars, but for others they've drawn a line in the sand, fighting some "cause" or something, so everything must be spun as bad. Getting rid of their DRM policies. Bad. Titanfall. Bad. Bundling Titanfall. More bad. Removing Kinect to cut the price. Still bad. Insomniac making a cool looking XB1 exclusive. Insomniac bad. ET cartridges dug up in the desert. That's bad too.
Sums it up all very nicely. Add the monthly system updates that are improving the OS through listening to users and adding new features.
And you know what I find interesting? What has Sony done the last couple of months to interest gamers? Re-release a recently released successful game?

So the real question is... Can you really play it without the Kinect? Last I checked, the Kinect was needed.

Can't tell if serious :/

To to fair, Project Beast is a rumor (albeit likely a real game), I think he was referencing FFXIV in his post, and a single feature adding update =/= monthly updates. I think that the price parity will be great for Microsoft, but it isn't all too likely to turn the sales tide until there is a substantial game that will bring people in. Sony had all the right things in place to steal the show and they took the lunch Microsoft left on the table to be stolen. The question now is whether Microsoft or Sony will be the first with something that creates a sense of urgency to upgrade. Like it or not, up to this point the large majority of both of the consoles sold have likely come from "core gamers" and to push adoption they need a new Minecraft or CoD4. I'd imagine without something special on the software side we will see both consoles hit a proverbial wall after this holiday.

So NPD should make it fairly obvious why this announcement and decision is being made now and not E3.

It's not because E3 is so crowded with spectacular announcements that they pushed this right now. I'm not saying E3 won't be great for them but the other narrative just isn't true.

So NPD should make it fairly obvious why this announcement and decision is being made now and not E3.

It's not because E3 is so crowded with spectacular announcements that they pushed this right now. I'm not saying E3 won't be great for them but the other narrative just isn't true.

Yup

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sums it up all very nicely. Add the monthly system updates that are improving the OS through listening to users and adding new features.
And you know what I find interesting? What has Sony done the last couple of months to interest gamers? Re-release a recently released successful game?

When you get so much right out the gate...

And this....and might as well add Project Morpheus..

jamiept

Banned
I wonder if this will news will compel Sony AU to remove the Aussie Tax from the PS4 since the X1 will be $50 cheaper and the fact that the PS3 didn't start outselling the X360 here until 2011.

Current PS4 price: $549
Current X1 price: $599

Some current deals:

$588 for X1, Kinect, and digital downloads of Forza 5 and Titanfall
$498 for X1 and Forza 5 digital download
$549 for PS4

Thanks to the inflated PS4 price, the X1 buyers are getting some okay deals

Monocle

I can let you know that Forza was already released, and by the time iterations from those series come out it will be at least a year and a half into this console cycle.I can also tell you that people can get the 'Halo' experience with just about any other FPS that comes out on either system... Battlefield 4, CoD, and now Titanfall.

The average consumer isn't going to wait that amount of time for one game- Especially when one console has a higher user base, better specs, and until June a better price.

Why don't you ask Nintendo how their 1st party titles are swaying buyers.
This is one of the silliest claims I've ever seen on this forum, and that's really saying something.

So now it's just a slower console with an awful UI interface ...

We need to see the price come below the PS4, and a controller friendly OS.

I navigate it just fine with the controller. Haven't had my Kinect plugged in since day 1 except to pop a quick achievement in madden 25. I'm not saying the interface isn't a bit clunky, because it is, but that mainly stems from having to go to the home page to do anything instead of having the dashboard interface overlay on top of whatever you're doing the way the 360 did. That doesn't change whether you're using a controller or Kinect.

Also UI means user interface so you don't need to say interface after it, unless you're talking about how interfacing with the interface with a controller isn't good for you. :)

That is beyond bullshit.

That's like saying you can get the Mario experience by playing Rayman.

To be fair, a lot of people found Rayman Legends to be a better game than any mario game in recent memory. I know I sure did.

Sporran

Surely they are having a fucking laff?

Shopto
Xbox1 TF Edition plus Wolfenstein £399

Kinectless Xbox1 with no games £349

So if you buy the kinectless version and solo Wolfenstein you pay the same price as the TF bundle including wolfenstein and kinect in the box.

No deal.

iGpVCeVzdBTUf.gif

Jeez, I remember this shit as if it were just yesterday.

Lkr

not sure if i should just go ahead and get the titanfall bundle or the kinect free bone. ends up being about a $40 price difference right now

Eoin

Shopto

So if you buy the kinectless version and solo Wolfenstein you pay the same price as the TF bundle including wolfenstein and kinect in the box.

No deal.
Yeah the UK RRP is ridiculous for the kinectless sku.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member

Shopto

No deal.

I think the reason we are seeing stupid pricing like this is that the UK already got a price cut that other regions didn't on the old XBone stock which ended up including bundled games. Now that the new kinectless version is being put up at RRP it looks silly by comparison.

By using discount codes the titanfall bundle was selling as low as about £320 at one point, and whilst I'm not exactly a fan of Kinect I'd rather have one in a bundle costing £350 along with a game, as opposed to paying £350 without one.

Unless they exhaust the stock of the titanfall bundle, or retailers start bundling games themselves with the Kinectless version, the Kinectless version is going to be pretty pointless in the UK at least.

I can let you know that Forza was already released, and by the time iterations from those series come out it will be at least a year and a half into this console cycle.I can also tell you that people can get the 'Halo' experience with just about any other FPS that comes out on either system... Battlefield 4, CoD, and now Titanfall.

The average consumer isn't going to wait that amount of time for one game- Especially when one console has a higher user base, better specs, and until June a better price.

Why don't you ask Nintendo how their 1st party titles are swaying buyers.

Halo is a million times better than Call of Duty and Codfall.

jet1911

OTOH their May sales will be abyssimal. I expect sub 100k.

Abdiel

OTOH their May sales will be abyssimal. I expect sub 100k.

Yeah... They basically put a gun to their heads for May and said "Calculated risk, hope it pays off".

We're seeing some stores drop to only 2-3 XB1 per week. By contrast, in March, it was 14-16 on average per week for the district.

Blueblur1

While the Resistance and Killzone games are good games, they've always paled in comparison to Halo (well, Halo games before Reach and Halo 4). You're probably going to disagree but the Halo series has been monumentous and is responsible for features all shooters now pack in like parties and matchmaking. There's nothing the Resistance and Killzone games ever did that made an impact on the entire genre like that.

Massa

The man has a point, not sure what warrants this reaction.

Killzone and Resistance are — and have always been — pure garbage.

GTFO. Killzone 2 is the best multiplayer on PS3, and Shadow Fall is even better.

If you want to play Halo just grow the fuck up and buy a $400 console. No need to shit on other games.

Duxxy3

Great. I am one step closer to getting one now.

So the real question is... Can you really play it without the Kinect? Last I checked, the Kinect was needed.

It's not needed, but there are some features absent without Kinect. The OS team has some work ahead to move those features to the controller. Best option would be the select button I never see used, or the Xbox hold menu.

reKon

Banned
While the Resistance and Killzone games are good games, they've always paled in comparison to Halo (well, Halo games before Reach and Halo 4). You're probably going to disagree but the Halo series has been monumentous and is responsible for features all shooters now pack in like parties and matchmaking. There's nothing the Resistance and Killzone games ever did that made an impact on the entire genre like that.

except in most of the Halo games, the gunplay is pretty shitty

JesseDeya

Banned
Some current deals:

$588 for X1, Kinect, and digital downloads of Forza 5 and Titanfall
$498 for X1 and Forza 5 digital download
$549 for PS4

Thanks to the inflated PS4 price, the X1 buyers are getting some okay deals

Let's not be that one sided, at least TRY and look for PS4 deals. For instance, Dick Smith just finished a deal for $482, with Watchdogs for $75.

Sony will react to the price drop if they think it's impacting sales, but to be honest I think they are selling perfectly well without it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Let's not be that one sided, at least TRY and look for PS4 deals. For instance, Dick Smith just finished a deal for $482, with Watchdogs for $75.

Sony will react to the price drop if they think it's impacting sales, but to be honest I think they are selling perfectly well without it.

Exactly.

Remember...XBO is having better deals now because its trying to keep up with PS4 sales. If it wasnt or if the roles were reversed.....you can bet there wouldn't be these XBO deals this soon. And there damn sure wouldnt be a Kinect less SKU coming soon.

Top Bottom