• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

ZZZZ

f9bf98ea-7c28-4e54-8cc6-42ce0173895b.jpg

No fucking way.
ac64f1bf1e71ae5494412824f606a299.gif

TheMan

you guys know literally anyone can post anything on 4chan? Some 13 yo kid is laughing his ass off right now

martino

It's actually a perfect example. Sony fans are complaining that franchises that were available on Sony hardware will no longer be available on Sony hardware in the future because they are now paid for by MS.

FF has been on Xbox, and PC, for over a decade, yet Sony is paying for them not to be on either.

At least MS let's all it's games go to PC, so consumers have options. Sony is the one trying to force gamers into buying their hardware.
it's nitpicking on the way to lock it....
deep the cognitive dissonance is there : it's fine when content locking depend on the mood of Sony, not if it depend on the mood of MS.

LordCBH

That would kill the series for me as a year long fan.
I welcomed them releasing their games on Xbox as well because the fanbase got bigger and more people got to enjoy the wonderful craziness of the whole franchise.
Selling out to MS and basically spitting on their day one community would just be an unforgivable dick move in my opinion. Especially because Sony didn't moneyhat the franchise in the past.

Considering almost the entire Yakuza fan base is on PlayStation, it would probably outright kill the franchise. Yeah yeah gamepass, but would Microsoft keep finding the series if barely anyone downloads it?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
it's nitpicking on the way to lock it....
deep the cognitive dissonance is there : it's fine when content locking depend on the mood of Sony, not if it depend on the mood of MS.

The way I see it: Temporary content locking is still stupid, but a valid business move.
Content locking forever is very stupid and a middle finger to a large group of gamers.
Don't care if MS or Sony are doing this.

DarkBatman

It's actually a perfect example. Sony fans are complaining that franchises that were available on Sony hardware will no longer be available on Sony hardware in the future because they are now paid for by MS.

FF has been on Xbox, and PC, for over a decade, yet Sony is paying for them not to be on either.

At least MS let's all it's games go to PC, so consumers have options. Sony is the one trying to force gamers into buying their hardware.

And the Yakuza series has always been on PS and MS paid for the next-gen PS5 version to come later.
That's business. Both are doing it and it sucks pretty hard.

And don't fool yourself, we all know why MS is releasing games on PC as well - because it fills their pockets. So that isn't really a valid point.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
What IPs does Sega have these days that are a big deal besides Sonic? Feel like I haven't played a Sega game in ages.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

It won't. It's too late. People should have been more conscious back in the mid 2000s.

I don’t understand how this narrative was better when Sony was rumoured to be making mass acquisitions. Because they were going to use those studios to usher in a cost-free, gaming utopia? What’s the fairy tale people were holding onto? Because it’s total bullshit and Sony have, historically, shown that they can be complete hubristic tyrants when they rule the market. “Go get a second job”, let’s not forget. Streaming is the future of any and all digital services—this is clear as the death of rotary phone—and Sony is already moving in this direction, too, albeit much less adroitly than MS.

HBO Go, Netflix and Prime have shown that multiple, successful competitors can all exist in this space. So get with the times or get out. (Not you, in case that sounded as if I were being aggressive, but the businesses that can’t adapt.)

And the Yakuza series has always been on PS and MS paid for the next-gen PS5 version to come later.
That's business. Both are doing it and it sucks pretty hard.

And don't fool yourself, we all know why MS is releasing games on PC as well - because it fills their pockets. So that isn't really a valid point.

Timed exclusivity isn't the same thing, in any case it'll be out day and date on Sony hardware.

The reason why MS are doing it is irrelevant, they release their games on PC so players like me aren't forced to buy an Xbox. Sony literally are trying to strong-arm gamers into investing in their Seto Kaiba box, leaving them no alternative, yet here you are acting like MS is the villain of the tale.

KingT731

You forget that buying timed exclusivity was a practice introduced by Microsoft during the 360.

Lets not pretend that yet another corporate juggernaut walking in and buying intellectual properties instead of making their own. Would be bad if Sony did it and it would be bad if Microsoft did it.

Microsoft have had nearly 20 years in this industry and plenty of money to cultivate their own development studios and intellectual properties. And yet here we are with them flexing their financial muscle and buying out one of the largest publishers in the industry.

To be clear. I would not be happy if Microsoft bought SEGA.
This this the thing I don't understand...here on GAF people seem to hold a negative opinion of Tencent yet these moves from MS are praised...seems a bit ass backwards

DarkBatman

Timed exclusivity isn't the same thing, in any case it'll be out day and date on Sony hardware.

The reason why MS are doing it is irrelevant, they release their games on PC so players like me aren't forced to buy an Xbox. Sony literally are trying to strong-arm gamers into investing in their Seto Kaiba box, leaving them no alternative, yet here you are acting like MS is the villain of the tale.

When did I do that?
Don't use that stupid "you said that" tactic without having any evidence.
I said both are bad, both use stupid tactics. Sony is good, they are just as evil as MS.

Stuart360

Yeah. Funny thing with 4chan, and lot of "insiders" here is that if you throw enough shit against a wall, some of it has gotta stick right.

;)
My main problem with 'insiders' is that they always say shit AFTER the fact, always like clockwork. You barely hear a peep from them but as soon as omething happens, their insider knowledge is let loose lol.

If this is legitimate which I’m doubting, I really don’t think Sega and Microsoft are a good fit for each. Bethesda pretty much makes sense, but I’m not sure about Sega. Xbox’s demographic probably wouldn’t embrace most of their games. Yakuza, Persona, Sonic, Sakura Wars, Virtua Fighter, Shining Force, Shenmue, Phantasy Star, etc.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere before that Japan has some kind of statutes against Japanese companies being bought by out of country competitors or something ? Doesn't mean what I read was correct of course, but I do recall having read something about it.

Yoboman

PC is not a default release, and never has been

Aion002

If MS get Sega and Sony don't get something like Capcom or Square-Enix.... Playstation is fucked.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

My main problem with 'insiders' is that they always say shit AFTER the fact, always like clockwork. You barely hear a peep from them but as soon as omething happens, their insider knowledge is let loose lol.

Yeah, you're right.
Especially know: you had no insider leaks about the Zenimax acquisition, but now suddenly an insider knows everything about the Sega acquisition and why they had to wait so long to reveal it... i'm calling BS.

ZZZZ

They still hold the Alien license as well, and Phil mentioned loving Alien Isolation ages ago. You never know hint hint.
Edited my post, forgot about Football Manager as well which is probably their biggest seller, it's releases every year and they are always in the top of steam charts.

unknown.png

Every year is like this, FM just prints money.

Last edited:

FranXico

This this the thing I don't understand...here on GAF people seem to hold a negative opinion of Tencent yet these moves from MS are praised...seems a bit ass backwards
It's the typical hypocrisy. Sony does a very old tactic of little and short term consequences and gets trashed as "anti-consumer". Microsoft gets praised for deciding to become a monopoly. SEGA was bought too.

Last edited:

How else should Sony or even Nintendo sell hardware then? Microsoft probably would sell more Xbox consoles if they had more exclusives to push hardware sales.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Total War Saga.
Atlus - (Persona, SMT).
Yakuza.
Valkyrie Chronicles.
Edit: Forgot about Football Manager, sells a fuck ton every year.
Alien Isolation

Oh yeah. Total War would be a massive get for PC Game Pass.

And can you imagine GAF's reaction if Persona became Xbox exclusive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bryank75

Banned
Sony net worth is $45 Billion.

Pocket change for MS.
Market value is just under 100 Billion, nobody is buying Sony for 45 billion, wouldn't even get a half of it.

You wouldn't even get the whole company for the market value it would be way higher and they wouldn't sell anyway.

It's the typical hypocrisy. Sony does a very old tactic of little and short term consequences and gets trashed as "anti-consumer". Microsoft gets praised for deciding to become a monopoly. SEGA was bought too.

In what universe is MS a monopoly? I hope you aren't a lawyer :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Stuart360

Edited my post, forgot about Football Manager as well which is probably their biggest seller, because it sells a lot and they release it every year.

unknown.png

Every year is like this, FM just prints money.
Oh Football Manager is huge on Steam.. I used to buy it every year until i had my back injury. Now i'm relegated to a couch PC gamer and have no interest playing a game like that with a controller.

Birdo

Banned
Market value is just under 100 Billion, nobody is buying Sony for 45 billion, wouldn't even get a half of it.

To be fair, the other half is pissing money anyway. It would only make sense to buy the Entertainment division.

Not that it would ever happen :messenger_grinning_smiling:, but hypothetically.

Top Bottom