• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can you imagine if the general audience starts booing Microsoft during their actual Presentation.

MARK MY WORDS -- I AM CALLING IT RIGHT NOW.

I have never seen such a consumer back-lash within the gaming community, in all my years. Forget the press conference(s), or lack thereof...Microsoft better worry that their actual Presentation is not interrupted by hecklers.
...hecklers that would risk never being sent review copies of games, being asked to interviews, etc., etc.? I'd like to see it.

m23

Can you imagine if the general audience starts booing Microsoft during their actual Presentation.

I have never seen such a consumer back-lash within the gaming community, in all my years. Forget the press conference(s), or lack thereof...Microsoft better worry that their actual Presentation is not interrupted by hecklers.

They don't just let in random people into the conferences.

Drencrom

Pathetic if they aren't replacing this with anything, bowing down before the show.

It's like MS don't even try to defend their shitty policies and box.

Sky Chief

I don't think this will be as successful as Microsoft hopes. The version that's been previewed is generally irrelevant as to what format actually sells on launch day, otherwise the PC version of multiplats would have been demolishing console versions in terms of sales on pretty much every multiformat game in the last 24 months or so. Spoiler alert: this hasn't happened.

The other thing is, I am not sure how many developers will be willing to take money just to show the Xbone version if it is far inferior to the PS4 one. Developers have a vested interest in their games looking as good as possible.

Showing an inferior version of your game at E3 could have long term negative consequences for your game far greater than any benefit you may get from MS throwing you some cash in the short term.

So THIS is what the giraffe stuff was all about....now it all makes sense...Giraffes have long necks which give them an advantage to stick out their head to reach food beyond the reach of other animals...Microsof is going full Anti-Giraffe, avoiding sticking out their necks by avoiding the press and media questions..

Well played Geoff...

The audience is not going to do that. Clapping and cheering is one thing, but booing at a trade industry event is highly unprofessional and ridiculously insulting to the thousands of hours that countless members of the industry have worked towards.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think that's a very good sign in regards to the PS4!

The MS conference is a day earlier, so they might not want to provide Sony with an easy target.

They are both on the same day, separated by ~6 hours. MS, EA, Ubi and then Sony, all on 10th of June.

Deuterium

They don't just let in random people into the conferences.

So, those attending the Presentation will be the very journalists who are most upset that Microsoft cancelled their press conferences. There will be blood. I wouldn't be surprised if some DRM activist(s) sneak into the Presentation just so they can heckle, and get their 5 minutes of fame.

Fox Mulder

People should just vote with their wallets with this system, the way it's going, despite Halo and its fans, I can see some long term Live members going somewhere else next gen

Even though MS has stacked a pile of shit all over this new console, it's still mostly contained to internet bitching. If they throw money for exclusives and launch at a great price, people will eat it up.

The only way MS could really shoot themselves in the foot is to have a $599 USD moment.

AngryMoth

Good lord. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt until E3 but I can't anymore after what I'm reading today. Seems like they're totally botching this console. Will be intersting to see if they really have moneyhatted enough big exclusives to make up for the inferior specs and policies

If true I wonder what this means for Sony's own booth. Will they at least have the PS4 versions there or will that be limited to Sony's own first party offerings. Pretty much making their booth pure Sony the way Nintendo's booths end up being purely Nintendo because there are no Nintendo hardware versions to show off?

Simple Sony will have games you can actually play on a PS4, Microsoft will have games you can play using a Xbox controller hooked into a target spec PC. If this does happen I hope some members of the press are observant enough to report on it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
People, MS are not bothered. Gamers are the only people that will complain about this and that's not their target audience.

Seik

Banned
If they really give no info to anyone post E3, wow MS, WOW!

I hope there will be those head to head interviews at the very least, they need to answer some questions.

blurrygil

Wow, this is quite the shocker really. Could have a bit of an impact on things. OP should be updated with the added news of the pre-conference.

The audience is not going to do that. Clapping and cheering is one thing, but booing at a trade industry event is highly unprofessional and ridiculously insulting to the thousands of hours that countless members of the industry have worked towards.

Didn't the industry boo loudly at Sony's Vita event when they announced AT&T as their 3G partner?

Shouldn't the info about MS having one on one interviews instead of the roundtable be added to the OP and the title?

We need to know who they've invited to these one on ones.

watership

Booing even the WORST press conference is career suicide. Reporters and invited industry people would do serious damage to their careers, blacklisting being one of the lesser impacts. And if it happens, watch E3 press conferences start to be per-recorded and broadcast later. Audience participation in a negative is very unprofessional. This isn't a movie. It's a business presentation. Watch it, and if you hate it, write a brutal piece afterward. That's the process.

Absolute silence is as close to booing we'll ever get.

trmas

Banned
I wonder if Sony will apologize for the lack of third party games for the PS3 at E3, because their competition appears to be afraid of a direct comparison? That is what I would do if I were them... Sony can simply say a lot of games were ready to be shown this week, but for reasons we cannot explain they don't appear to be here on the show floor.

Come by our booth for full demos. Do that, show a box, and it is game over for the XBone.

Didn't the industry boo loudly at Sony's Vita event when they announced AT&T as their 3G partner?

I'm not sure about that particular event--my point is, E3 is supposed to be a celebration of the industry's triumphs, an industry showcase, and a meeting hall for developers, retailers, and analysts.

It really isn't a place that's appropriate for negativity.

M.D

The other thing is, I am not sure how many developers will be willing to take money just to show the Xbone version if it is far inferior to the PS4 one. Developers have a vested interest in their games looking as good as possible.

Showing an inferior version of your game at E3 could have long term negative consequences for your game far greater than any benefit you may get from MS throwing you some cash in the short term.

Most of these developers are owned by publishers, and publishers go where the money is.

That said, I really don't know what publishers he could be referring to? I could easily see EA since they are having a bigger partnership with Microsoft, but Activision is in bed with Sony on Destiny, and Ubisoft is in bed with Sony on multiple games

On the Japanese side it seems like Square Enix has a partnership with Sony, and it seems like Capcom also has some sort of deal with Sony on Deep Down

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mortimer, can publishers say they have PS4 versions at all or just not show them? One is not too atypical but maybe taken to an extreme, the other is lulzy.

I don't know why people champion and cheer this obvious payola. It distorts the market and creates deadweight loss.

Publishers wouldn't have that problem.

There's also the possibility that the PS4 isn't noticeably better looking than the Xbone version (we are talking about launch games, after all).

I'm not sure about that particular event--my point is, E3 is supposed to be a celebration of the industry's triumphs, an industry showcase, and a meeting hall for developers, retailers, and analysts.

It's true there was booing at Sony's E3 when they annouced that. But that was a specific moment, I can't see them being heckled and booed all through the conference.

Deuterium

I don't disagree...but there are low-class nut jobs out there that will be happy to spoil the "evil" Microsoft, and their carefully planned and choreographed presentation.

aristotle

Was this discussed as well? I haven't read everything in this thread yet.

GUkrJ2J.png

Top Bottom