• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

Well, what is the point of a pre-E3 conference meeting?

Still, MS should probably say why they're cancelling stuff.

38442550.jpg

Guevara

I guess we know where some of that "$1B for games" went; to blocking multiplats at E3 lol.

Great use of the money, very good for consumers.

I'm actually hoping it is delayed. It may give them a chance to reassess some of these awful decisions they've made.

Putting out an inferior product just in order to be first to market is (probably) not a wise move.

JDSN

Banned
Btw, that Jason from Kotaku comment about journalists not saving the good questions to say i in front of their peers is bullshit.

DBT85

Maybe that was the plan. Sony trolled them with the PS4 reveal and leaking old specs. MS is trolling them back.

If we were to believe that Sony trolled them with leaked specs, and that MS has done this to dodge the questions and put the heat on Sony, what the fuck do they do if Sony come out and say "games will be owned exactly the same as they are now do what you want with them, online play is free, and BTW, here's a free kitten".

Makes sense, but that time has passed. If the PS4 versions exist and are better, the public knows ahead of time. E3 showfloor seems like a white elephant. People consume direct feed video on Youtube much much more.

This. They'll need to pay to get them to not release ANY PS4 footage anywhere in order for that to work. That and the streams for the conferences will be the only places most people see the games anyway.

MS buying up third party exclusives would be fine if their hardware was better, thus giving us superior versions...but it's not the case. Them buying exclusives means we get the worst version possible.

Only that was true of this gen as well though, there is a reason no multiplats this gen looks as good as Sony best exclusives

Moobabe

I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

As a second thought - wouldn't this, if true, be completely obvious and visible to Press on the shop floor? The complete lack of PS4 multiplats must scream to these guys that something else is going on.

Morthas

Neo Member
Looks like they are trying to avoid any kind of possibility for the real media to ask the hard questions.

But don't be afraid, guys! At E3, while not mentioning anything of the Xbone Disaster™ Microsoft will announce a live exclusive pre-recorded Q&A with special* media! Only for the fans!

* only Microsoft employees allowed.

AOC83

Banned
I'd absolutely LOVE to know how MS went from giving Sony a black eye with the 360 to shitting every bed going over the course of 8 years. It's ball-dropping of truly staggering proportions.

It´s a mixture of arrogance and stupidity. Or as others call it:

The Third Console Curse!

Sky Chief

So basically PS4 versions of certain games won't be announced even though they exist and will be released?

Sounds like a cheap tactic. Could work. Could bite them in the ass.

My guess is that it's not a matter of MS getting 3rd parties to deny the existence of PS4 titles but rather they don't want games to be seen side by side on the two consoles because the Xbox One versions will be inferior.

Buying up 'exclusive demos' of multiplat games would be smart given all the other rumours about the state of Xbox One development to date.

If I was MS I don't know if I'd want Xbox One builds of games going up against PS4 builds of the same games at E3.

Kind of only delaying the inevitable comparison though...

Yeah, it's a bandaid. If the difference between the games is real we will find out soon enough.

Effect

I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

If true I wonder what this means for Sony's own booth. Will they at least have the PS4 versions there or will that be limited to Sony's own first party offerings. Pretty much making their booth pure Sony the way Nintendo's booths end up being purely Nintendo because there are no Nintendo hardware versions to show off?

As a second thought - wouldn't this, if true, be completely obvious and visible to Press on the shop floor? The complete lack of PS4 multiplats must scream to these guys that something else is going on.

It does sound like a double edged sword to me.

My guess is that it's not a matter of MS getting 3rd parties to deny the existence of PS4 titles but rather they don't want games to be seen side by side on the two consoles because the Xbox One versions will be inferior.

Is that even a thing though? Don't companies just tend to show off a game on a single platform at any particular event?

Reave

Microsoft: The Amanda Bynes of the gaming industry.

This is getting crazier by the day. All we need now is scruffy blond wigs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So the MS answer to being slammed on for not being a games console is to showcase multiplats? Well good luck with that.

I think it would be more potential damage limitation than trying to advance their position much.

Think about it - if the Xbox One dev environment is immature at the moment, and you're running on weaker hardware, this isn't a good mix for how multiplat E3 builds would compare on Xbox One vs PS4. The backlash potential would be high, the scope for comparison vids and gifs and all that...it could be a slaughter for MS.

So one way to dodge that headache is to perhaps try to avoid your competitor's versions from being shown at all. Nice confidence in your own product...but we'll see how much truth is in that rumour.

ReaperXL7

E3 to suck this year confirmed I guess :( depressing.

I don't think it would really hurt Sony if the games aren't shown. People paying attention to E3 know that when CoD is only shown @ MS conference it's still coming to Playstation.
Yeah, unless they go out and say "this game is coming EXCLUSIVELY to the Xbox One" then they aren't fooling anyone.

AirBrian

Well this E3 certainly got even more interesting (and will most likely be more boring). It's really been a weird transition to the next generation.

Btw, that Jason from Kotaku comment about journalists not saving the good questions to say i in front of their peers is bullshit.
Kotaku is probably one of those who are having one on one with Microsoft.

not like they will have good questions to ask imo. Go prove me wrong!

I hope they prove me wrong.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi

Wow. This is fucking shady. But admittedly pretty tactically sound... =/

Wow. That would be pretty evil.

So it sounds like Microsoft are 6 months behind on development, their hardware is having issues, their policies and 'vision' hasn't gone down well at all with gamers, so they're cancelling interaction with the press and throwing money around to publishers in order to take some attention away from the PS4.

Mrbob

Yeah but this only the delaying the inevitable. Which I suppose MS will want to do for as long as possible.

trmas

Banned
Well, MS won't be answering any questions of a dubious nature, so those praying for no DRM or always online - you are out of luck!!

How utterly chicken shit of them...

sucks for sony because they will have to deal with all the drm and used games questions. they better have it all figured out by e3 because ms obviously didn't.

but not a good way for ms to start e3 at all

They will continue to say its up to developers and publishers and say all their first party games will work just as they did on PS3....at least I predict they will say that...

Replicant

That is fucking vile. If it's true, I hope it's blown open and the press are making big deal of this dirty tactic.

I think the reason behind this is timing. Sony's conference and press interviews will be later in the day, that would have given them the advantage of knowing Microsoft's public position on the hot topics like DRM/online/used games etc. and given them enough time to tailor a response/spin Sony's position in the maximum possible positive light in comparison to Microsoft's.

So now Microsoft won't be talking to the press at all it seems, and they sure as hell won't talk about the tough details during the conference, which means that now Sony will be first to be grilled on those difficult questions.

looking at the twitch tv topic, there is a disturbing lack of sony games in the lineup.

could mean nothing, could mean everything.

dorkimoe

yeah i dont see why people see this as a negative? Nintendo canceled their whole show didnt they? lol. Dont need to sit down and hear politically correct answers anyway

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So it sounds like Microsoft are 6 months behind on development, their hardware is having issues, their policies and 'vision' hasn't gone down well at all with gamers, so they're cancelling interaction with the press and throwing money around to publishers in order to take some attention away from the PS4.

Obviously everyone tries to take attention away from the competition, but I think this specifically would be about preventing 1:1 comparisons with the competition. MS can't hide forever though, but they might be hoping their software compares better by the time of release than they might at E3.

Top Bottom