• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
They couldn't arrive at a way to spin effectively, didn't want a repeat of their reveal.
Amirite.

Seriously though, they'd better be very clear in their press conference, about all this online DRM shit.

I put the odds of that at 0.001%

It's very likely that is exactly what they're trying to avoid. And then we can look forward to many more months of "nothing's been decided" and "the console's not even out yet" pr and posts.

On the positive side, maybe they are making changes to their drm policy and really haven't finalized the model yet, so they aren't willing to speak about it.

Feorax

Maybe waiting to see what Sony says first.

Interesting thought. Whilst Sony are going last, it's possible Microsoft have heard what Sony's strategy is going to be regarding DRM, and figured there is no way they can look good when the questions are asked side by side with what Sony will be saying.

This could also be true of price, launch date, etc.

E3 is going to be VERY interesting.

Nekofrog

Banned
Anyone think that they could announce a delay of the system at e3? From the news yesterday of the entire UI being faked, the memory yields being off, to the really old information that one console manufacturer was very behind in production, do you think this is a way to avoid more bad press because of a delay?

Drachma

Banned
Hope to god for their sake they clear up some of the confusion around Xbone in interviews or something, because after E3, when are they going to have a better chance to clear the air before the console actually comes out?

At this point I'm wondering if Microsoft is just going to clam up until launch regarding DRM. Let the users figure it out for themselves.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Probably means they will wait and see what Twitter tells them their positions should be and announce them on Wednesday.

HORAY CONSUMER POWER.

pelican

Concerning, I guess not all the questions will be answered on Monday.

There is no reason to hide if Microsoft are confident of their offer.

jaypah

I guess they decided to 'xbox, go home'.

*grabs coat*

Put the coat back on the hook baby, you done good!

Anyway, what the fuck is MS smoking? It's one thing to shit the bed. It's another thing to gleefully roll around in it. This does not look good.

codhand

considering they didnt talk about drm until after their initial conference i think theyre trying to avoid a repeat

the goal is to give as little information about negatives as possible to keep consumers biting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe PR just isn't happy with the execs at the moment, and want to keep a tighter leash on them.

It is easier to massage things execs say after the fact if you're dealing with one journalist at a time vs a room full of them.

KageMaru

Man nothing surrounding them sounds good these days. They really need to have a blow out at their conference.

Interesting thought. Whilst Sony are going last, it's possible Microsoft have heard what Sony's strategy is going to be regarding DRM, and figured there is no way they can look good when the questions are asked side by side with what Sony will be saying.

This could also be true of price, launch date, etc.

E3 is going to be VERY interesting.

This is a good possibility, though it shows a lack of confidence in their own direction.

Actually , real journalist from outside the gaming industry join in these kind of q and a right? I guess Ms is trying to avoid what they will ask. Avoid once and smoke the gameing press later.

Wow - preemptive damage control? At least they are trying to manage how XBone information spreads. In my mind, this does not bode well for MS giving answers that will make us happy at E3.

MoeB

Please be excited for November.
1271843169_5162.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
We won't know until the box is in end consumer's hands.

They get the benefit of 4 months of game journalists saying, "We don't know yet. It's not that bad."

witness

I can't wait for all the information we still won't know about both consoles after e3. The rage will be amazing.

eznark

Banned
It's ok, nothing I say will penetrate his bubble.

We still have one-on-one appointments scheduled AFAIK.

Kind of shows how little respect they have for you guys. "They only have a backbone in a large group, we need more "how awesome is your console" questions so lets do one on one"

jschreier

Isn't this what the Harrison thing was after the Bone reveal? All we got from one to one interviews was a load of differing information.
After the reveal in Seattle, there were some roundtables and one-on-ones between journalists and a lot of different executives - Mattrick, Harrison, etc. I think they're doing something similar for E3. Different outlets get different appointments. And yeah, hopefully they have some consistent answers this time.

daebo

Maybe waiting to see what Sony says first.

Bingo. This is what I'm guessing too.

but it's still bullshit. They said they would have answer "rounding them up" and that hasn't come. They are now not doing a round table after the event...

Well, guess it's time to beef up the PC - PS4 combo. Again, I'll wait to see what Sony says too, but... this is definitely playing scared.

lol, just going to throw my hands up in the air and walk away.

Seems like they are going to show as many games as possible and gloss over the bullshit DRM and always online stuff.

they have been saying for weeks now E3 is all about the games and nothing more.

Danneee

Well that's not going to do them any good. But probably not worse than an actual round table would do is my guess, they know their DRM strategy in no way benefits consumers and probably want people to focus on other stuff.

jschreier

Kind of shows how little respect they have for you guys. "They only have a backbone in a large group, we need more "how awesome is your console" questions so lets do one on one"
Actually, it's quite the opposite. What journalist wants to ask questions in front of a group of competitors? Everyone wants one-on-ones.

Top Bottom