• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

Ensoul

I am at the point now where I believe we will not get definitive answers from M$ about the Kinect, used games and the online aspect of xbone until about 2 days before the system releases.

AkuMifune

Banned
tumblr_ln01in2anA1qaelzwo1_500.gif

So much for getting details on the DRM or used games at E3 then.

I'm going to assume we'll get a 'Further details to be released closer to launch' from Microsoft, and claim they want the focus to be on the games. And I think they'd only do this if there's bad news coming regarding these issues. Damn.

I love people assuming the worst in here. :p
If it wasn't bad news, MS would be announcing it and going into details, so this distraction can end and people can then really focus on the games. How is Microsoft's E3 presentation followed by a 'No questions, please.' anything but bad news?

Kusagari

I am at the point now where I believe we will not get definitive answers from M$ about the Kinect, used games and the online aspect of xbone until about 2 days before the system releases.

I really am starting to feel we won't know the truth about this console until it's out in stores.

1-D_FTW

Maybe PR just isn't happy with the execs at the moment, and want to keep a tighter leash on them.

It is easier to massage things execs say after the fact if you're dealing with one journalist at a time vs a room full of them.

Good point. Put them in a group, and the mob mentality emboldens them. And MS looks really bad if they stonewall Q after Q.

But in a one on one setting, it's personal. A joke here, a smile there, a self-deprecating comment there, and pretty soon the interview is over without saying a single thing. Next!

Jawmuncher

Well they still are having one on ones.
But still this doesn't bold to well for me. Looks like the Xbone reveal hit then harder than I thought.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The conference will be razzle dazzle. They'll announce some big games like Halo and whatever exclusives they have brewing. Win some people over after the poor showing at the unveiling.

Even if they had a rock solid idea of what they were doing with DRM, I wouldn't even mention it at my conference. That's the type of shit you talk about later, gloss over and hope people are more interested in the games and features.

Liamario

Banned
They still have no answers for DRM and so there's no point having the roundtable; not answering questions.
People want to talk about the games though as well. I assume they are leaving that to the developers.
It's very weird.

Meier

They couldn't arrive at a way to spin effectively, didn't want a repeat of their reveal.
Amirite.

Seriously though, they'd better be very clear in their press conference, about all this online DRM shit.

Pretty much this. It seems like they're heavily retreating due to all the negativity right now. They need to have 1 voice talking about this as there have been too many cooks in the kitchen who've chimed in and further created confusion.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. What journalist wants to ask questions in front of a group of competitors? Everyone wants one-on-ones.
Hmm I hope you're right about this and we get better and more detailed information... But I'm not going to hold my breath.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I was so hyped for the MS conference with the promise of it being all about games. Now I'm not even sure I want to see more of the console. The XB1 desperately needs some good news. It seems like their conference is going to be so awkward now.

So basically chances are they are planning on giving no info on their policies until it's too late to back down?

Wonderful. "Listening to feedback" my ass.

rai

Neo Member
thought this was a joke...I guess they are very confident that they will answers all the questions during the conference...if not...it feels like they weren't ready for next gen.

It's much more difficult to answer questions on the fly than it is to give a presentation or to do a super canned "sit down" with the designers.

It's pretty weird.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can the same stuff be asked as at a roundtable?

Sure it can, but singled out from your peers you're easier to handle. In a round table environment the same question will get asked by each person until they get a real answer, with the frustration and disenchantment increasing with each dodge.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now they'll just go with a one-on-one interview with Geoff Keighley.

"Hey, guys--so, would you describe the Xbox One as just awesome or super awesome?"

Replicant

They want Sony to get the questions from the press. I think it's about lack of confidence and pure tactics.

If they think they're going to get away from bad press by avoiding interview they are wrong. By avoiding interview, they pretty much allow social media to unleash negative POV on the console. And in a way, they are confirming that the rumors are true because they are unable/refuse to correct them.

You know what's worse than bad reviews? Bad word of mouth.

AOC83

Banned
I´d guess they´ve accepted that there is no way to spin this garbage and just let it fly without commenting further.

Cornbread78

After the reveal in Seattle, there were some roundtables and one-on-ones between journalists and a lot of different executives - Mattrick, Harrison, etc. I think they're doing something similar for E3. Different outlets get different appointments. And yeah, hopefully they have some consistent answers this time.

So each exec. should have their note cards with the corporate answers all right there so they are in unisen. One unified message going out to all questions. I donlt expect much variance in answers, they will loop back to teh same central answers....

Zophar

Everything about this console has been a trainwreck. I'm speechless. I've never seen anything like this in the history of the industry. The PS3 didn't even have it this bad.

jschreier

Sure it can, but singled out from your peers you're easier to handle. In a round table environment the same question will get asked by each person until they get a real answer, with the frustration and disenchantment increasing with each dodge.
This isn't true at all. Roundtable interviews are uncomfortable and nobody wants to make them even more uncomfortable. Nobody really wants to do them in the first place. It is much easier to get real answers (and press non-answers) during a one-on-one interview.

Omikaru

Well that's one way to handle uncomfortable questions from the press due to fan pressure.

Doesn't sound like a company that's going to back pedal any further. Xbox One customers can like it or lump it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't they have like a ton of post-conference media opportunities already? Maybe they're just trying to trim down.

lol @ people extrapolating this as far as they can

I can see some people expecting bad news about DRM. However, I don't think we will get any news regarding that during the conference. Do people really expect them to address that in a televised conference?

Top Bottom