• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cancels post-E3 media roundtable

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
GUkrJ2J.png

P1lfMsg.gif

DR3AM

sucks for sony because they will have to deal with all the drm and used games questions. they better have it all figured out by e3 because ms obviously didn't.

but not a good way for ms to start e3 at all

I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

BibiMaghoo

sucks for sony because they will have to deal with all the drm and used games questions. they better have it all figured out by e3 because ms obviously didn't.

Maybe that was the plan. Sony trolled them with the PS4 reveal and leaking old specs. MS is trolling them back.

Moobabe

I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out(to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the ps4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated.... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on.

This would be both hilarious and depressing.

Fox Mulder

I didn't think this console could look more fucked as the days go on.

The sad thing is that their constant dodging wont matter to most people. Why should MS allow negatives to be exposed when they can just shove a product out the door to the common consumer. They have the money to hide faults and downsides with exclusives and games people want.

x-Lundz-x

MS probably couldn't find any way to counter the PS4 when Sony ends up saying there will not be any restrictions on it's console of any kind.

Better to say nothing than try and sugar coat it.

RoKKeR

Huh, interesting. Obviously I don't like the sound of it but like you said, business is business, and if money hatting multiplat demos is how Microsoft thinks they can fix their rep, then go right ahead, but it's a pretty sad and embarrassing solution.

So basically PS4 versions of certain games won't be announced even though they exist and will be released?

Sounds like a cheap tactic. Could work. Could bite them in the ass.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Buying up 'exclusive demos' of multiplat games would be smart given all the other rumours about the state of Xbox One development to date.

If I was MS I don't know if I'd want Xbox One builds of games going up against PS4 builds of the same games at E3.

Kind of only delaying the inevitable comparison though...

Malvingt2

interesting

Trogdor1123

Wouldnt surprise me. Makes sense for MS to do this as there is a pretty good chance the MS games will look drasticly inferior.

reddmyst

That's a damn shame.

Microsoft should just delay the console for a year and get their shit straightened up first (in regards to DRM, Performance issues, etc.)

I don't think it would really hurt Sony if the games aren't shown. People paying attention to E3 know that when CoD is only shown @ MS conference it's still coming to Playstation.

Maybe they don't need a Q&A session because they'll answer all the questions at their conference? If they don't, they're in deep shit.

Duxxy3

I give the xbone a 50% chance of coming out this year.

I don't think they will delay the system at e3 though. They will let more people pre-order the system up until august or september before announcing a delay.

Makes sense, but that time has passed. If the PS4 versions exist and are better, the public knows ahead of time. E3 showfloor seems like a white elephant. People consume direct feed video on Youtube much much more.

Interesting. I assume they'd still be getting *announced* as multiplat.

gaming_noob

MS buying up third party exclusives would be fine if their hardware was better, thus giving us superior versions...but it's not the case. Them buying exclusives means we get the worst version possible.

m23

That is very disappointing. I'm really looking forward to what Microsoft will be showing at e3 but it really looks like they have no idea how to convey some of the policies they're introducing.

sTeLioSco

Banned

thats...pathetic actually.

(also probably they are looking better on ps4)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So basically PS4 versions of certain games won't be announced even though they exist and will be released?

Nah, he means that for these multiplats, only the Xbox One version would be shown/demoed. So you wouldn't be able to compare to a PS4 build.

Smart, like I say, since apparently both hardware and dev tools on Xbox One are in a shit place relatively speaking.

Xbox One vs PS4 builds of games at E3 was something I was curious about, to see if there was any truth to those rumours about the software/hardware maturity. But maybe it'll be harder to find those comparisons now.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It sounds like they're scrambling over there.

Hana-Bi

Maybe they answer all the questions during their presentation. :)

"Hey, you've got a question? Well here is a game. Can you believe it? You can play games!"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As long as they don't cancel those scheduled one on one interviews, meh. If those get cancelled though, they are toast

But who is going to actually come out and question them? The Polygon guys, who were funded by Microsoft? Keighley, who basically slobbered all over them after the XBone reveal?

Mrbob

So the MS answer to being slammed on for not being a games console is to showcase multiplats? Well good luck with that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'd absolutely LOVE to know how MS went from giving Sony a black eye with the 360 to shitting every bed going over the course of 8 years. It's ball-dropping of truly staggering proportions.

Top Bottom