• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft claims to have seen "record sales of Windows Phone this holiday"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcat

We’ve seen record sales of Windows Phone this holiday worldwide, nearly doubling phone sales during Christmas week (YOY). In the third quarter this year, according to IDC, Windows Phone reinforced its position as a top three smartphone operating system and was the fastest-growing platform among the leading operating systems with 156% year-over-year gain. Windows Phone is the #2 smartphone operating system in 14 markets, and shipped more units than iPhone in 24 markets in Q3. Our portfolio continues to expand: from award-winning flagship devices like the Nokia Lumia 928/1020/1520, to affordable new innovations like the Lumia 520/625/1320 and Huawei W1/W2.

Microsoft says the 14 markets where Windows Phone is currently the number two mobile OS are:
• India
• Mexico
• Italy
• Chile
• Thailand
• Vietnam
• Malaysia
• Poland
• South Africa
• Ukraine
• Hungary
• Finland
• Czech Republic
• Greece

The 24 markets where Microsoft says Windows Phone devices out-shipped the iPhone are:
• Chile
• Colombia
• Czech Republic
• Egypt
• Ecuador
• Finland
• Greece
• Hungary
• India
• Italy
• Kenya
• Kuwait
• Malaysia
• Mexico
• Nigeria
• Pakistan
• Peru
• Poland
• Saudi Arabia
• South Africa
• Thailand
• Ukraine
• United Arab Emirates
• Vietnam

As usual when Microsoft provided an update on its Windows Phone division, the company did not offer any specific unit sale numbers of those devices.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-claims-to-have-seen-record-sales-of-windows-phone-this-holiday

HUELEN10

Now when they say out-shipped the iPhone, do they mean to stores or to consumers via direct shipment or what? As for it being big in Chile and Finland, I can see that.

boi

Neo Member
Germany not on the list?

I live in the Germany and it seems the platform is pretty big. I see Windows Phones occassionaly here. And wasn't there a research from a few months ago that said it was selling more than the iPhone over here?

edit: btw I understand these markets matter in volume to Microsoft but come on, I doubt people in most of these countries buy $700 iPhones

JordanKZ

The Lumia 520 is a fantastic smartphone for the average consumer. It has all the apps they'd ever want (facebook, twitter, instagram) and a fairly friendly interface.

Be interesting to see what effect the Moto G has over it though...

Arksy

Went to America in 2013, didn't see a single one.

Went to Europe, they were everywhere.

Back in my hometown of Australia, they are nowhere either.

I've got both an Xperia and a Lumia. I'm not a heavy app user, so I really only miss my banking app on Windows Phone. I think it's a much nicer UX apart from not being able to launch links into apps.

I think a lot of what holds it back is bias. The company I used to work for had a lot of demand for a Windows Phone app, but the mobile project owner was an Apple fanboy. Even the Android app was grudgingly commissioned.

LeleSocho

Banned
Well i know i had to buy 2 Windows Phones for my family.
I'm quite happy if it's successful, i find it a fantastic mobile os.

Mael

There are rumours that Sony's preparing Windows Phones for 2014 release.

I'm not saying it's impossible but considering only Nokia phones are getting any kind of success it remains to be seen that people want WP phones and not Nokia phones...
I'll wait for more data coming from someone else than MSFT's PR for anything related to their latest iteration of Ws.
Yes I'm still pissed at the tablet store current state.

Somax

The pricing on Lumia 520 / 820 and 920 in Italy was very aggressive during these holydays, so I'm not surprised of the result.
I tried a 520 and I find it very fast and serviceable, for its cost. A good piece of technology.

jayu26

The 24 markets where Microsoft says Windows Phone devices out-shipped the iPhone are:

As usual when Microsoft provided an update on its Windows Phone division, the company did not offer any specific unit sale numbers of those devices.

Cute...

lefantome

Well there's nothing weird about it, ios marketshare is being eaten in most of the europe and in some countries wp is pretty big thanks to Nokia.

There is still a lot to do do match iphone performance worldwide, but now wp is reaching some milestones.

Dont 3rd parties only make Windows Phones anymore because MS patent trolled them and its part of the deal?

I guess Sony will have to grow that mobile market share a bit first before MS send in the legal eagles.

Doffen

Dont 3rd parties only make Windows Phones anymore because MS patent trolled them and its part of the deal?

I guess Sony will have to grow that mobile market share a bit first before MS send in the legal eagles.

3rd parties make Windows Phone devices?

Germany not on the list?

I live in the Germany and it seems the platform is pretty big. I see Windows Phones occassionaly here. And wasn't there a research from a few months ago that said it was selling more than the iPhone over here?

edit: btw I understand these markets matter in volume to Microsoft but come on, I doubt people in most of these countries buy $700 iPhones

In the last marketshare report I've seen Windows Phone was only 1% behind iPhone in Germany.

Thanks to the lumia WP is doing very well in europe - saw some charts at the end of last year that showed over 10% smartphone marketshare in the UK.

That'd have been unthinkable just two years ago

I'm not saying it's impossible but considering only Nokia phones are getting any kind of success it remains to be seen that people want WP phones and not Nokia phones...
I'll wait for more data coming from someone else than MSFT's PR for anything related to their latest iteration of Ws.
Yes I'm still pissed at the tablet store current state.

The other offerings are awful, though, and the lines not refreshed to any significant degree.

The 8S was crippled with 4GB of storage space and the ATIV gets burn-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom