• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Verendus

Banned
When Microsoft drops the price of the Xbox One to $399 at E3, there will be balance in the world again. The United States of America will begin to turn the tide of this console war and help the Xbox One lead the way to the future.

Yeah, I honestly didn't know how big PvZ was... well, I knew it was a big iOS game but I didn't think it would transfer over well to console (a la "Angry Birds").

Yeah me either it's crazy how many people on my friends list are playing that game still.

When Microsoft drops the price of the Xbox One to $399 at E3, there will be balance in the world again. The United States of America will begin to turn the tide of this console war and help the Xbox One lead the way to the future.

Your posts of late + that avatar has been absolute GOLD

Do you actually have any idea how much extra profit that adds on average, per box, for Microsoft? Having "only" a 50% adoption rate for a monthly subscription service that has very modest maintenance costs is spectacular. Even if they only had two million subscribers, that's a huge increase in the amount of income they're generating from the sale of those units. That's a ridiculously good revenue stream, and the promise of expanding that source of revenue is the main reason Microsoft has even continued to tolerate the X-Box division's pratfalls.

lol, who is arguing this? I replied because you called online play a killer app yet such a small portion the userbase had bothered to pay for gold, remember it's 50% of people who bothered to connect their console online at all, most of them are not even connected online period. Nothing in my post had anything to with how much or little profit MS has made on live

RPGamer92

Banned
In all honesty a $399 Xbone with Kinect and a Halo 2 anniversary bundle could be a pretty killer deal this holiday in the US.

Verendus

Banned
Your posts of late + that avatar has been absolute GOLD
Just wait, Sony will be running around in panic like headless chickens. I wouldn't be surprised if Shuhei Yoshida resigns and Andrew House just drinks himself into delirium. They have a world of pain incoming.

Edit:

In all honesty a $399 Xbone with Kinect and a Halo 2 anniversary bundle could be a pretty killer deal this holiday in the US.
Xbox One is a killer deal right now. But indeed, a $399 Xbawx One with Halo would be killer even beyond just killer.

I think the only way MS gets a spike in sales at E3 or later is a two SKU approach. They already put the $450 price out there to help move inventory for the Kinect bundle with a game and it's not catching on in Europe. That price has been out there for well over a month at every store but game stop. How could you expect to go back no. It would hurt sells.

I fully expect this to happen by or at E3:

$350 No Kinect core bundle.
$450 W/Kinect and a game.

Tsundere

Banned
I think the only way MS gets a spike in sales at E3 or later is a two SKU approach. They already put the $450 price out there to help move inventory for the Kinect bundle with a game and it's not catching on in Europe. That price has been out there for well over a month at every store but game stop. How could you expect to go back no. It would hurt sells.

I fully expect this to happen by or at E3:

$350 No Kinect core bundle.
$450 W/Kinect and a game.

The Kinect SKU will not sell if they sell two SKUs including one without Kinect.

noobie

Banned
sorry to bring back this thread from dead.

But when is next quarterly reports of all 3 console makers. (Apr - Jun Quarter)

sorry to bring back this thread from dead.

But when is next quarterly reports of all 3 console makers. (Apr - Jun Quarter)

Well, this thread was made on the 24th April which is I assume when all the data became available. It'll probably be similar this month, so another twelve days or thereabouts?

5.1 shipped, so they may not have sold 5 mil yet?

That was by 31st March, so they might be at 5m now, depends how close they were to 5m sold back then (not that close I suspect) and we're getting towards the season were less consoles are usually sold?

It will be interesting to see if they give numbers on how many the Kinectless sku sold specifically although I doubt they will except for a few words on "increased demand" or something

Bgamer90

Banned
That was by 31st March, so they might be at 5m now, depends how close they were to 5m sold back then (not that close I suspect) and we're getting towards the season were less consoles are usually sold?

It will be interesting to see if they give numbers on how many the Kinectless sku sold specifically although I doubt they will except for a few words on "increased demand" or something

I think the Xbox One was just approaching 4 Million back then. Since then (post Titanfall launch), the Xbox One sales have gone down... Combo of the usual drop during the Spring season as well as just the system not having a big exclusive. I don't think they are at 5 Million yet. Think current sales are more so close to 4.5 Million.

The new SKU will help. A decent number of people on the fence were waiting to see if the Xbox would get to $400 and many of the same ones don't care about kinect so the new SKU is good in that sense. However, the new SKU isn't going to help that much during months in which the system doesn't have many big games so don't expect a crazy increase for this upcoming NPD. There definitely needed to be a $400 (or less) SKU before the huge Fall/Holiday gaming season though. Don't think the Xbox One will overtake the PS4 in sales anytime soon (in America and especially worldwide obviously) but the November and December NPD may be close in terms of PS4 vs. Xbox One sales.

The things that are going to move units this generation are, in no particular order:

1. Which system they can get more cheaply to play multiplatform games on.
2. Which system has superior ports of multiplatform games.
3. Which system more of their friends are playing online multiplayer games on.

These things are all massively more important than either console's library of exclusives. The argument of which console has or will have better exclusives is just for bragging rights; the difference it will make in the end is almost completely trivial.

Amazing how they lost all three of those advantages. If only they released a year earlier. They were sitting on 360 since 2005. It's amazing how unprepared they were.

Why do we have constant updates for PS4 sales, but not Xbone and WiiU? We seriously only know the Xbone sales up to March?

We haven't had a PS4 sales update in awhile.

And as far as Wii U goes, it's not selling. It's probably not even at 7 million sold to consumers yet. No sense in reporting the sold numbers until you have to. They aren't good numbers.

I suspect maybe 8.5 million Wii U's sold by the end of the year at 24-25 months.

Joeki11a

Banned
I believe MS wont outsell PS4 ever again in the USA, the shift has happened already.

Sales will always read that again always be close but PS4 will always edge it out in the NPDs from now on, their wont be a time where MS blows out PS4 in a blink of an eye, them days is dead.

mike4001_

I believe MS wont outsell PS4 ever again in the USA, the shift has happened already.

Sales will always read that again always be close but PS4 will always edge it out in the NPDs from now on, their wont be a time where MS blows out PS4 in a blink of an eye, them days is dead.

Well ...

Possibility #1: Kinectless SKU in June => Will soon know (but this I doubt)
Possibility #2: HALO MCC => This is possible in my opinion.

Bgamer90

Banned

The US gap between the PS3 and Xbox 360 was bigger but yet, the PS3 had a few months when it beat the Xbox 360 in NPD.

I think the Xbox One can do it (whether this year or possibly in the future) with the combo of a major exclusive + the usual huge Holiday season boost. We'll see though.

BigDug13

Well ...

Possibility #1: Kinectless SKU in June => Will soon know (but this I doubt)
Possibility #2: HALO MCC => This is possible in my opinion.

It's possible that in the one region, MCC may end up causing sales parity or maybe beat PS4 in NA for a month or so. Assuming most MCC buyers don't already own the console.

ascii42

I wouldn't say ever. There were months where the original Xbox managed to outsell the PS2.

Never say never. I doubt it will ever become a trend though.

Wouldn't they have said 2 million if it was amount sold to retailers?
If they're saying 1.2 million, these seem like amount sold through to customers.

They're talking aBout both the 360 and XB1 and given their history with wording it means sold to retailers.

1.2mil XB1
800k 360

I can see the PS4 and XB1 being neck and neck during the holiday season.
But otherwise, the PS4 clearly has the market lead here and the gap will continue to widen.

OverHeat

« generous god »

That's what you get when your the company that people expect to have the most powerful hardware and you deliver an underpowered system, hope Microsoft is realizing that.

Top Bottom