• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ending Xbox 360 Production

Alebrije

Farewell

dave.jpg

Steveo

Banned
Probably the greatest console ever made. And this is coming from someone who's been gaming since the late 1980s.

Shame what Don Mattrick did to it in the later years, and how he basically sabotaged it's successor.

the 360, ps3 and wii generation went on for so long i'm still impressed that we got like 8 solid years out of it, good games all round and plenty of everything for everyone to enjoy.

I gave my 360 slim to my nephew, my younger brother owns one and I still have the launch day white in my loft but it doesn't really work any longer, RIP.

dreamfall

I still have my S model hooked up to the tv and play Red Dead Redemption every week or so. It's been my go-to console, as this generation started off slowly. I'm primarily a PC player, but having a console hooked up in the other room always makes me happy.

NBA Street Homecourt and Gears of War- those two changed everything for me, at the start of the 360 lifecycle. I bought so many digital games on the cheap that remain on the console and get booted up all the time, so it's nice to have around. One of the best!

bede-x

Goodbye to my favorite console ever. It did slow down in the Kinect years with few interesting first party titles and I switched to PC as my primary system because of that, but in its prime it was as good as gaming got.

RavenH2

Great console. I've been playing some games I missed through BC and they are breathtaking.

Still got mine hooked-up thou, for digital purchases.

10 years? Crazy..

I was working as a Store Manager at EB Games when the Xbox 360 came out.. that launch was crazy. I still have my white Xbox wristband from back then. We had a line all around the mall. I remember being an evil corrupt manager and secreting some consoles away for my friends to buy (not super evil though, I didn't put them on eBay!).

Still remember trying to convince people they really really REALLY shouldn't be buying the $299 'core' bundle and should go with the $399 20GB Pro one instead.

So many good times gaming on Xbox live over the years, before it was all annoying kids & hate speech (there really was a time!). It honestly felt like all the best parts of PC gaming & console gaming had come together. Playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion on my TV in 2006 changed my life.

I'm really glad they're working on BC for Xbox One.. I still have a number of games I didn't finish or never got around to.

I still have a Halo 3 Xbox 360, but the disk drive won't open anymore, and is as loud as a semi truck. I also have the Halo 4 Xbox 360 which seems to work fine from the last time I checked it out. Hopefully it'll be good to pull out every now and then to play some 'retro' 360 titles.

Bravo, fair Xbox, Bravo!

sadmaker

Still connected, still fired up regularly (and will continue to do so, cant spare limited X1 HDD space on on BC games)

Farewell sweet prince. I had some great memories with it. Even though I had 4 shoddy replacements I stuck through. I remember Playing Ghost Recon and made many of friends.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
^ I doubt it. Sony had free online in the PS2 era, Xbox did not.

A bit early.

More facts:
It will never reach 90 million. And it's still on last place in its generation if you look at "units sold worldwide".

True, but it was #2 most of last gen, and is just behind the PS3 (where it will remain.) Every console sold well last gen.

This would immediately go away if Sony decided to offer free online. Being the dominate console of this gen they can do that and Microsoft would have no choice but to follow.

No it wouldn't. Sony offered free online last gen.

Xbox live is the most profitable thing in the division. You don't just lose all that. It's not even Phils decision to make. Sony followed suit because they saw all the money MS was making.

It has nothing to do with who the dominant console was.

I still seriously cannot believe neither the 360 or PS3 ever hit $99. I guess they really honestly couldn't get the component costs down that low?

Not if they include a hard drive. I would think a HDD-less one would be doable at $99 easily.

But the real issue is that the old consoles just aren't selling like they used to, going by some of the reports in the NPD threads.

Amazing console. Sleep well sweet prince.

I remember I made the decision to get one when they announced GTAIV would launch simultaneously with PS3 on it and get some timed content. Went out and bought it about a week later. Bought it with GRAW and PGR. I was most blown away by Xbox Live though... just so incredible that a console had a cohesive online experience that -- at the time -- was better than PCs, and seemed decades ahead of what I was used to on PS2 (never owned an OG Xbox)

Bought a slim replacement one last week, for my jasper unit with drive door that no longer opened. If the xbone had OG Xbox BC and total 360 BC I could have upgraded. But for now this will do.

Those three were legends along with Shane Kim. He does deserve credit for the amount of great games on Xbox 360 in the early years. I felt as soon as Phill was head of studios it got stale. Didn't help that Mattrick came in at the same time.

Thats fair about Shane Kim. I still remember the Jeff Bell incident, hah

Rad-

My third favorite console ever (after PS1 and SNES) and the only Xbox console I have owned. I bought mine in 2007 and it still lives, no RROD!

Ten year support. Pretty impressive given all of the constant talk throughout its lifespan by some that MS would just up and drop it like they pretty much had to with OG Xbox. Aside from RRoD, X360 was and is a great console.

Frobary

Grand Theft Auto/Portal/Mass Effect/Skyrim/Dead Space/Dishonored/Battlefield/XCOM/Rayman/BioShock/Call of Duty/Fallout /Batman Arkham/Guitar Hero/LIMBO/Assassin's Creed/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter/Red Dead Redemption/Gears of War/Halo/Forza Motorsport/Forza Horizon/Bayonetta/Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Left 4 Dead/Rainbow Six Vegas/Shadow Complex/Far Cry/Burnout/Project Gotham Racing/Dark Souls/The Walking Dead/DiRT/L.A. Noire/Tomb Raider/Borderlands/Diablo/The Witcher/Mirror's Edge/The Gunstringer/Call of Juarez/Lost Planet/Kinect Sports/Dead or Alive 4/Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons/Viva Pinata/Pure/Red Faction/State of Decay/Kameo/Wolfenstein/Dragon Age/Fable/Dance Central/GRID/Devil May Cry/Resident Evil/Splinter Cell/Trials/Spelunky/BlazBlue/Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Rock Band/Splosion Man/Crysis /Dead Rising/Braid/Max Payne/Child of Eden/Bulletstorm/South Park/Darksiders/Alan Wake/Minecraft/The Dishwasher/Crackdown/Need for Speed/Catherine/Hitman/Castle Crashers/The Darkness/Metro/Condemned/Halo War/Brutal Legend/Ninja Gaiden/The Wolf Among Us/Banjo-Kazooie

Amazing console.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man. What.
I just sold my 360 to someone today .. now I want it back :(

Also i'm VERY surprised they're ending production this quickly. Make a super barebones $99 SKU and sell a few million units more MS. Free money.

LordOfChaos

It sounds like the fabrication process the chips are on is getting canned and it’s not worth the cost of doing a die shrink on it, from the statement of "manufacturing something that’s 10 years old".

Still have mine hooked up in case I get the urge to play RDR.

It's a great console that started badly (RROD) and ended with a whimper (Kinect).

I'll always remember you for your fun Xbox Live multiplayer, Halo, Gears, Modern Warfare, Arcade games, Dreamcast games, 1 vs 100... Your controller and RROD.

Good times. Good memories.

I hope they give 360 Xbox live another 20 years. There's so many good games on xbla and digital only. It would be such a loss to have the 360 store close or service ended.

PSGames

Only console I ever camped out for. After getting a taste of HD visuals with Soul Caliber 2 on the original Xbox I couldn't wait to finally have an HD console. I remember being wowed with Kameo and then being addicted to DOA4 when that finally released.. Glad we will at least be able to preserve some of these games through BC.

-shadow-

I've never had one but still consider buying one even now. Guess now's the time before they'll permanently be gone.

c0de

The console of last gen.
- Superior multiplats
- best online experience
- best controller
- best patch system (size, incremental)
- awesome exclusives

Microsoft may have stopped making them, but you can pry my Xbox 360 S from my cold dead hands. Too many memories and purchased XBLA games to ever get rid of.

Top Bottom