• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Filth

Does it allow for aircraft to suffer non-catastrophic damage and still land? I saw one video where it seemed like the player just inverted a plane and it cut to black saying he overstressed the air frame or something?

I know it’s not a combat sim but I loved when a game like IL-2 allowed for still landing with half a wing blown off and stuff
yeah you can turn that off. I nose dived my plane into my friends house and was able to take off again afterwards lol. I forgot the option but its in the assists.

Dane

Hint for those downloading, at around 85% it will unpack the game for like 30 minutes then resume, you may notice your PC stutter.

Madrid

8MsKI4q.jpg

AyDK1oe.jpg

g42ejlN.jpg

Siri

Banned
The installer, if you have a slow internet, just sucks. I can’t even get past the first ten minutes without the thing freezing up.

Two questions.

One: does the installer save my download progress along the way.... because it seems not.

Two: how the hell do you switch off the music! It will take me a good 48 hours to download this game. I need my pc for other things. I can’t just switch off my speakers.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The installer, if you have a slow internet, just sucks. I can’t even get past the first ten minutes without the thing freezing up.

Two questions.

One: does the installer save my download progress along the way.... because it seems not.

Two: how the hell do you switch off the music! It will take me a good 48 hours to download this game. I need my pc for other things. I can’t just switch off my speakers.

Right-click the volume tray icon and choose volume mixer, you'll find the volume for MSFS there.

I just found out, that buildings are generated with openstreetmap data. So everyone who want better cities better go to work.

That's good to know! I just registered to be able to edit, perhaps there's a way I can contribute.

Last edited:

mpgeist

Two questions.

Right click the speaker on the bottom right of the taskbar of windows. Then Open volume mixer.

Two questions.

One: I think it does because it frozen once on me and I don't recall having to re-download anything.

Two: You can't do it until game is fully installed. I recommend going to audio mixer in Windows and muting it there.

frostyxc

Oh, mute it with the volume mixer! I had no idea I could do that.

Thanks!
I think the reason most people don't realize that you can individually change volume on apps/games is because Microsoft made the genius move of hiding the full mixer behind a right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. In older versions, you could just double-click on it to see the whole mixer. With that said, don't put music in your installers without an option to turn it off right on the installer! Sheer madness!

DeaDPo0L84

So I downloaded the game and finally started it and there's another 91.36gb download for languages, is that necessary? Haven't played a flight sim in years so not sure.

nemiroff

Gold Member
So I downloaded the game and finally started it and there's another 91.36gb download for languages, is that necessary? Haven't played a flight sim in years so not sure.

Well, I believe that's the size for the standard version of msfs which is a mandatory download.. The voice language pack is normally already installed in Windows if you have the English language going. So I'm not sure what's happening there with your game.. Screenshot it

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Well, I believe that's the size for the standard version of msfs which is a mandatory download.. The voice language pack is normally already installed in Windows if you have the English language going. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Hmm, it says "to complete the installation microsoft flight simulator will now download and install recommended content". I'm at 15gb/91gb so i'll just let it do its thing.

Why is live weather dark in the UK right now? It's still daylight for half an hour at least I think?

Weird. Lots of things in this game don't work properly.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hmm, it says "to complete the installation microsoft flight simulator will now download and install recommended content". I'm at 15gb/91gb so i'll just let it do its thing.

I understand now. You are in the process of downloading the main package so you need to keep that going yes. But there's also an additional note on the install page about the optional English voice package, but that is something you have to download separately outside the msfs installer (because it's a part of the Windows OS) if you don't already have it installed.

Tevious

If you're like me and are annoyed with the long startup logo videos every time you boot up the game, I put together a mod to reduce each video to just 1 second to speed things up a bit to the main menu:

This mod doesn't affect the wwise screen since that isn't a video. And it shouldn't work with the Windows Store version because of UWP restrictions.

Reactions: 888
So I've stopped and the objective is end the flight stop main engine but it is stopped!

What's going wrong? This is so annoying, I haven't even managed one flight successfully since Tuesday! Please help.

Aggggggghhhhhj what a buggy pos this is. A forty minute flight and I'm left staring at 'stop main engine' and a prompt on screen telling me the engine is NOT on.

I might uninstall. Legit ruined my evening.

Last edited:
This game looks incredible. I have my sights set on a PS5 at launch, but I could see myself buying a Series X just for flying. My i5 + 1060 would die on the loading screen probably and there's no way I could upgrade it enough for less money.

Last edited:

MastAndo

About the console port they just need to fix the controller mapping most of the actions require a keyboard...
You can map any function to the controller. You'd have to use a whole bunch of multi-press combinations
on console which could get ugly, but it's doable.

Keyboard + mouse support would be a good idea though.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Even on the lowest graphical settings at 1080P, the game goes down to around 22 FPS. My PC specs are an i5-6600k, GTX1080ti, and 16GB of ram. My specs are either too low, the game is just poorly optimized, the servers are overloaded, the game is too buggy, or a combination of one of these. I'm just gonna wait until I upgrade my PC and will try again. Was fun when I could play it though.

MaulerX

So what's the deal with the Thrustmaster TCA? Completely sold out everywhere. They probably didn't expect the demand to be this big but still... Really wanted to get one of those.

Schmick

Even on the lowest graphical settings at 1080P, the game goes down to around 22 FPS. My PC specs are an i5-6600k, GTX1080ti, and 16GB of ram. My specs are either too low, the game is just poorly optimized, the servers are overloaded, the game is too buggy, or a combination of one of these. I'm just gonna wait until I upgrade my PC and will try again. Was fun when I could play it though.
I'm not sure if this is a thing but when the game loads up and I'm on the runway or where ever the game is very stuttery. I thing that seems to help is going into external view and just looking and moving the camera around the plane. After that the stuttering stops and I'm off. It might be coincidental however.

This is the best looking game I have ever seen, the tech behind this is just incredible. Love being able to fly over my house in the crappy little village up the Welsh mountains LOL.
Can't wait for the Series X version

Gaz

My PC does a good job running this. Its a RTX 2070 with a Ryzen 3700X. Load times are a bitch though but I havent installed the game on my NVME drive.

But damn is this the most beautiful game Ive played

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ok ok, have to admit I've been a little bit bummed about some of the flaws in my home country area, but holy crap is this sim beautiful and immersive. Yesterday I got "that perfect gameloop feeling" as well, you know; the "just one more time"-thing, well beyond bedtime. Kinda took me by surprise, didn't expect it from a "dry" simulator. Flying around "the perfect area" in weather, observing live traffic and meeting other live players buzzing around.. Even though a long time jaded sim fan, this sim is something special. The feel of flying and exploring is like no other. Sounds like a hyperbole...but it's not, just genuinely excited.

Last edited:
It’s run just awful...

I used recommended setting and I get maybe less than 20fps.

I change to medium low and 1440p. Still the same.

i5 3ghz
32 gb of ram
Ssd
1060 6gb

:(

Anyone know if there's a bug where your profile doesn't show anything? It's got my six hours flown but all the stats are na or 0. Surely I should have that populated?

All these issues irritate me grately.

Krisprolls

Banned
Glad to be waiting.

You can wait all you want, nothing will improve on that.

The graphics are incredibly realistic considering it basically calculates the whole world from sat views with an AI. Some people just have unrealistic expectations on what AIs can do.

AIs can't guess every object on ground right ...

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

You can wait all you want, nothing will improve on that.

The graphics are incredibly realistic considering it basically calculates the whole world from sat views with an AI. Some people just have unrealistic expectations on what AIs can do.

AIs can't guess every object on ground right ...
How are you so sure it won’t improve? AI, satellite imagery, not to mention third party efforts will all afford improvements in time. To claim that no amount of waiting won’t bring improvements is ridiculous.

Krisprolls

Banned
How are you so sure it won’t improve? AI, satellite imagery, not to mention third party efforts will all afford improvements in time. To claim that no amount of waiting won’t bring improvements is ridiculous.

Yes, it will improve over time as both sat pics and AI get better, I just mean it's not a traditional "bug" they can fix quickly...

It's already extremely impressive what they did here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom