• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

CeeJay

Playground Games ;)

This is probably not as far fetched as it sounds to some extent. The Forzatech engine would seem to be the most likely engine for a 1st party simulation game such as this and PG must be the most knowledgeable team at MS that are already modifying it for open world with dynamic TOD, weather etc. I would guess that some PG and Turn10 technical input has gone into this.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Main website updated with a familiar quote (coincidence? :messenger_winking: ) as well as a short explanation of what the game will bring to the skies:

-"We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR"

-"Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox)"

Third-part peripheral support?

-"Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind"

"..Over the next few months, we will be communicating our plans for the rest of the year, including important updates to the Preview Build/Insider Programs, and important development beats. Maintaining a collaborative relationship with the community starts with transparency and clearly communicated expectations. Early August is our current timeline for kicking off the communication of the development roadmap. We will continue to add clarity to this timeline throughout the summer. If you’d like the latest updates, please make sure to sign up for the Insider Program."..

More information:
Microsoft Flight Simulator

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Thank you Mattyp Mattyp for the latest teaser! As a reminder for all whom are interested, sign up for the Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider Program:

Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider Program
Just login in with your Microsoft/XBOX/XB1X account and confirm your email for the game.

aw8e0fb.jpg

For the latest (updated!) news, visit:
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 news
"
  • August (Mid/Late) – Development Roadmap Release (v.2019.08/drr1)
    • Development beats through EOY 2019
      • Build Program Recruitment and Release timeline
      • SDK Update
      • 3rd Party Content Update
      • UGC Content Update
  • August (Late) – Build Program Kickoff
    • Preview Build Program – Detailed information on first preview build deliverable
    • Preview Build Program – Public Participation sign-up
    • Preview Build Program – Preview of next build details
“What we want” – AVSIM Thread

There are two important plans we will be sharing with you in September:

1. The pipeline for how we will provide an in-depth look at the product we are building.
  2. The process for how we will integrate the community into this process to facilitate a collaborative partnership to bring this product to launch.
Threads like this on AVSIM, and across all the forums we pay close attention to, are truly valued by the team. So though we may not be directly interacting with you at the moment, we hear you. August is about setting expectations, providing a clear Development Roadmap outlining how we get from today to launch. September is about how we accomplish that task, together. "

lingpanda

I'll be playing on Xbox One so what controls should I purchase? Don't see any flight controls outside of a fighter pilot stick. Would like to invest in something so not too concerned with cost but at the same time not trying to break the bank either. TIA.

Havoc2049

I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One, which works with both the Xbox One and PC. Right now, it supports Elite Dangerous, Flying Tigers and Ace Combat 7 on the Xbox One. It works great and is fairly well rated in the community as a great stick in the low-mid price range. I would bet Microsoft adds hotas support, along with keyboard and mouse support, for the Xbox version of Fight Simulator.
thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-one-xbox-one-pc-1.jpg

I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One, which works with both the Xbox One and PC. Right now, it supports Elite Dangerous, Flying Tigers and Ace Combat 7 on the Xbox One. It works great and is fairly well rated in the community as a great stick in the low-mid price range. I would bet Microsoft adds hotas support, along with keyboard and mouse support, for the Xbox version of Fight Simulator.
thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-one-xbox-one-pc-1.jpg

This baby has been my tool of choice for over 400 hours of Elite Dangerous. Best £30 I've ever spent tbh.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played a flight sim as my PCs in the past were never powerful enough.

But when it comes to X I'll give it a go.

When it comes to flight sims, any idea what the typical scale is?

A flight from Toronto to Montreal might be about 1 hr. So for sim games...... it might be 5 minutes?

Last edited:
Never played a flight sim as my PCs in the past were never powerful enough.

But when it comes to X I'll give it a go.

When it comes to flight sims, any idea what the typical scale is?

A flight from Toronto to Montreal might be about 1 hr. So for sim games...... it might be 5 minutes?

It’s 1:1 just like past MFS titles. You can use time compression to speed things up if you want, but the world is full scale.

Microsoft stitched together 2 petabytes of satellite map data to generate the entire Earth. Flight Simulator X had 24,000 functioning airports.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Wonko_C

Can't wait for my pilot friend to ditch FSX Steam Edition for this!
(Because I'm tired being the one having to handle all the configurations, out of memory issues due to being a 32-bit application, bugs, etc.)

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
This is fucking insane, and sad I wont be building a dedicated rig until next year for this.

This isn't Forza Horizon drift challenge extravaganza. That said if you want to mod plane livery I'm sure you can.
Exactly I get its a simulator but come on I'm not buying it to play equations at least ive got to have some fun and painting livery is one way

CeeJay

Exactly I get its a simulator but come on I'm not buying it to play equations at least ive got to have some fun and painting livery is one way
I think that the fact they are releasing on console implies a certain understanding that the audience is going to be more casual there and expect those kind of features along with comprehensive flight assists, structured missions, progression systems and achievements. There were already quite a lot of missions and different liveries as standard in FSX (then loads as DLC or mods afterwards) so I don't see them going backwards on any of these aspects with the new Flight Sim.

Wonko_C

Well based on past Flight Simulators they are true simulators, not games. A tool to train or learn about aviation, primarily aimed to professional pilots, students or just aviation enthusiasts.

Users normally download mods for airplanes with liveries based on real airlines into their planes to make them look more authentic. They also purchase real life airports to replace the default ones from the simulator, and better, more realistic and complex planes than the ones the simulator's defaults.

So all the flight planning, 500 page manual for the planes, take-off preparation, navigation charts, communicating with air traffic control, etc. Is their "fun" :

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

So apparently Asobo acquisition might be something close (if not, already done).

There was a rumor pre-E3 that Asobo was one of the candidates.

Back in the first days of 2018, Asobo announced a mass hiring for 40 positions.

Despite that, in April of this year, shortly before the release of A Plague Tale, Focus Interactive announced that the studio closed a deal for a new game.

But here's another thing, last month Microsoft took back the support for FSX as their contract with Dovetail expired.

It could mean lots of things though.

1) Asobo will be acquired, the 40 new employees are for a new "Aces Team" of sorts, with also a small portion of their already existing staff (140 people) working on it too . That means there woulbe be a team for the studio projects, with Focus one being released as they planned on the partnership, or Microsoft buying the publishing rights (just like with Psychonauts 2 from Starbreeze) while the other team will be dedicated to supporting Flight Simulator franchise.

2) It won't be acquired, but their development team will support the game for years to come, until it gets passed on to Xbox Game Studios.

3) The then new employees will be reunited as a new XGS studio once development and/or support from Asobo finishes.

4) Nothing happens

Just to remember, Asobo could fit in their acquisitions because it follows the same pattern from the other ones, studios who worked closely with the Xbox at some point.

Last edited:

Dane

Just confirmed the FS community suspicions, one ex employee from Aces Studio said in a email that he wasn't involved and it was a french studio instead.

It was tought that AS-MGS plane in the E3 might mean Asobo Studio-Microsoft Game Studios or Aces Studios - Microsoft Game Studios. Funny enough, MGS had been renamed to Xbox Game Studios at that point.

In this Pre Alpha gameplay, the planes now have the AS-XGS, which likely means Asobo Studio - Xbox Game Studios. Not sure what C and T means, could be Company and Team.

Last edited:
Although some ground details feel like made of plasticine and has less polygons, than Lara Croft from 1996's "Tomb Raider", feeling of flying (based upon trailers and screenshots) is really immersive. Haven't yet heard of anything related to this game's difficulty in terms of controls, but I do want to experience flying above "real places".

Top Bottom