• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - X019 - Gameplay Trailer

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

Nydius

This makes me wish I were rich enough to have one of those custom built, multi-monitor panoramic rigs for racing and flight sim games.

Thaedolus

So far not even VR-compatible games like Dirt 2 don’t work with VR on XBGP...I hope that changes soon because I’d play the fuck out of this in VR. VTOL is basic as hell but amazing fun.

Rat Rage

I never played the franchise and I'm not into flight simulators at all, but I have to admit: this is fucking cool for some reason. The trailer is awesome.

With simulator games, especially flight simulators, the relation between technology and game quality seems like the opposite of what's been going on for the last decades with "AAA" gaming: flight simulators have always been held back by hardware limitations as well as graphics.

Technology has come so far that it's possible to simulate so much more than before, which, in the case for this flight simulator, directly increases the gameplay experience positively. That goes for the graphics as well. Better graphics=better simulation experience and atmosphere.

scalman

all those cities man, those visuals, it will blow away anything in this genre when come out

that will be like virtual tour of the world. wanna know what that or other citys looks like in real life, just fly over it and see. amazing

and when you thought you could only fly up high
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Graphics are all well and good but I just hope they've fully changed their mind about VR support so that they commit to it early on and make their cockpits as interactive as VTOL VR's, it'd be a shame if when they finally do cave and add VR support it's only as rudimentary and barebones as in DCS.

Real interactions beat real graphics. Oh and also focus on high framerates for better hardware, FSX is still notoriously hard to run well as it doesn't properly adapt to modern hardware (it's not fully multithreaded or whatever even in the recently somewhat enhanced rereleases on Steam afaik).

Last edited:

TheShocker

It’s all commercial style planes correct? Would be fun to fly around in military planes too, even if it’s purely from a flight perspective.

Alec

yeah, I keep asking myself if it makes sense. But you could play one or two more games with it, so it is a VERY reasonable purchase!
I still have my old Sidewinder 3D Pro in a box somewhere. I bet it can be made to work with some fuckery!

Reactions: Isa

MadYarpen

I still have my old Sidewinder 3D Pro in a box somewhere. I bet it can be made to work with some fuckery!

It has to be a decade old, right?

As for myself I was about to purchase Thrustmaster HOTAS 4, which is quite cheap and works also with PS4. But then I saw X56 so now that's in my basket waiting for me to click "buy now"...

Alexios

As for myself I was about to purchase Thrustmaster HOTAS 4, which is quite cheap and works also with PS4. But then I saw X56 so now that's in my basket waiting for me to click "buy now"...
The Thrustmaster FCS Hotas or Flight Pack (same + pedals) are very good choices if you shop around for a good price.

MadYarpen

The Thrustmaster FCS Hotas or Flight Pack (same + pedals) are very good choices if you shop around for a good price.
Yeah I considered this but it has a single throttle so it is somehow limiting, also in DSC World I would also like to try.

Alexios

I just don't trust Saitek and I haven't heard anything about Logitech improving their quality since they acquired them. I don't see why their high end stuff don't use hal sensors or whatever like Thrustmaster's but still rely on potentiometers and springs.

I wanted an X55 for forever when it was first shown but then there were tons of complaints from the first buyers about the actual build quality not reflecting the external looks and premium looking switches and shit and I haven't seen anything about X56 being that much better.

If I bought hardware with potentiometers it would have to be of the CH Products line. A Combatstick (or slightly cheaper lower end Fighterstick, it's the same but with buttons instead of multiple hats so less inputs overall) with the Pro Throttle (still single, fighter style) and pedals. Availability is absolute shit outside the USA however and prices can be inflated at times but if you're there and can find it for good prices it's immortal hardware. But only with pedals as a must because the CH sticks don't twist.

The FCS is the opposite, cheap externals but solid function. I only have the T16000M for now (the previous green revision) and it has a pitiful amount of inputs but the throttle and pedals would fix that for the most part and it's precise as fuck with zero deadzone needed. Since I don't have a throttle or other gear I use it in combination with the keyboard in games and it's been a joy in both Elite Dangerous and MechWarrior 4. But I do think popularity has inflated the pricing of this range of products a bit too. I'm waiting for a good deal on the Flight Pack to give away my stick.

The ideal would have been the old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick inputs/form factor with T16000M hal sensors but nobody, not even Thrustmaster, seems to be making anything that resembles that happy medium, it's either way cheap crap or way expensive shit (TM Warthog).

But if you really want to not be "limited' with things like a single instead of dual throttle maybe you want to be looking at flight yokes instead of flight sticks for sims like this (although I guess fighters will be added too eventually and smaller craft also may use sticks in real life also).

Last edited:
This is finally a legit example of something that isn't possible without the cloud. Part of the reason it looks so good is that it is streaming PETABYTES worth of texture data from a server. There's no way to run this game at full quality offline.

Alec

I got it in 1996, lol.

Alexios

This is finally a legit example of something that isn't possible without the cloud. Part of the reason it looks so good is that it is streaming PETABYTES worth of texture data from a server. There's no way to run this game at full quality offline.
I would easily settle for War Thunder quality environment graphics (ie, still pretty damn great looking but using same old school repeating and tiled textures methods instead of wholly unique stuff for every square inch, yes I know War Thunder is a wholly different game without seamless flying over vast distances but rather large maps instead so I don't compare their technologies, just the texturing methods, it's also several years old by now, I believe the last engine overhaul was last year or maybe still expected, I forget if the global illumination was already added) if it meant I can play it offline/not have graphical deficiencies based on my internet connection and what not. The rest of the graphical features like the lighting, volumetric shit, higher detail crafts and assets, etc., would bring it close enough to this level without the always online baggage.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I just don't trust Saitek and I haven't heard anything about Logitech improving their quality since they acquired them. I don't see why their high end stuff don't use hal sensors or whatever like Thrustmaster's but still rely on potentiometers and springs.

I wanted an X55 for forever when it was first shown but then there were tons of complaints from the first buyers about the actual build quality not reflecting the external looks and premium looking switches and shit and I haven't seen anything about X56 being that much better.

If I bought hardware with potentiometers it would have to be of the CH Products line. A Combatstick (or slightly cheaper lower end Fighterstick, it's the same but with buttons instead of multiple hats so less inputs overall) with the Pro Throttle (still single, fighter style) and pedals. Availability is absolute shit outside the USA however and prices can be inflated at times but if you're there and can find it for good prices it's immortal hardware. But only with pedals as a must because the CH sticks don't twist.

The FCS is the opposite, cheap externals but solid function. I only have the T16000M for now (the previous green revision) and it has a pitiful amount of inputs but the throttle and pedals would fix that for the most part and it's precise as fuck with zero deadzone needed. Since I don't have a throttle or other gear I use it in combination with the keyboard in games and it's been a joy in both Elite Dangerous and MechWarrior 4. But I do think popularity has inflated the pricing of this range of products a bit too. I'm waiting for a good deal on the Flight Pack to give away my stick.

The ideal would have been the old Logitech Xtreme 3D joystick inputs/form factor with T16000M hal sensors but nobody, not even Thrustmaster, seems to be making anything that resembles that happy medium, it's either way cheap crap or way expensive shit (TM Warthog).

But if you really want to not be "limited' with things like a single instead of dual throttle maybe you want to be looking at flight yokes instead of flight sticks for sims like this (although I guess fighters will be added too eventually and smaller craft also may use sticks in real life also).

It is all extremely difficult. I have read good and bad things about both, X56 and T1600. Setup wise X56 is max what I would want to afford, I am not going to build any pro setup. I will remain a casual gamer, working full time, having kid, and other hobbies. In this situation even X56 is a bit too much, but it is good to buy yourself a nice thing from time to time. It sucks when it breakes down though...

I got it in 1996, lol.

haha so two decades + old. Nice. Probably works better than brand new Xbox Elite 2 controllers...

nemiroff

Gold Member
It’s all commercial style planes correct? Would be fun to fly around in military planes too, even if it’s purely from a flight perspective.

Looking forward I have a feeling this will be the de facto standard flight sim platform. Thus I think we'll see massive support from third party that will lead to all kinds of aircraft (including helicopters) in the flight sim in the future. ..Perhaps even combat scenarios.

Alexios

Combat scenarios not likely unless MS adds simulation for such things, but as for aircrafts they'll probably add many different types of their own and add ons could work off them as base (helicopters probably need to be added to the engine by MS as well before others, but they definitely will).

Last edited:
Top Bottom