• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Forza 5 runs at 60 fps, Xbox One has no fps/resolution requirements

foogles

Fuck this stupid FX-8320 CPU I bought. It's just a downclocked FX-8350.

(The fact is that when it comes to these SOC and non-consumer chips that are only sold to companies like Microsoft to go into devices like the Xbox One, there is no such thing as a downclock that actually affects the consumer unless previous products were sold with chips running at a higher clock speed than what you're getting now. You're not losing anything in this "downclock" because you never had anything to lose. Nearly all complex chip manufacturers have to go through this process of balancing chip yields versus performance, and if this rumor is true, then Microsoft simply had to make an adjustment downwards to match yields. After all, we don't know how may "upclocks" they had done previously. These are things that nearly every chip and device manufacturer has to do. It's quite likely that Sony and AMD already have, or at the least will in the future, have to do the same for the PS4 as production of their chip starts to ramp up.

What *will* matter is what the final result is. The differences between the PS4 and XB1's GPUs, especially in direct-footage comparisons on the same game on both platforms, will be much more useful than some vague rumors that Microsoft at one point during the development had the system running at some higher speed than what they eventually had to settle with.)

RyudBoy

I'm so confused by statements like this. Are you a Halo fan? If so, why does a resolution number matter if the game plays well/looks good? You're not going to play a game from the series you're a fan of, because it doesn't have a specific resolution? Or that matter disregard an entire console because of that?

This is crazy talk.

Of course resolution, frame rates and all that stuff matter. If it didn't then why do we need new consoles?

Both systems will have exclusive games that I'll want. I only used Halo as an example of something I want to see, and if I'm not impressed with what they reveal at E3 then why would I buy a X1 over a PS4 later this year?

And I never said that I wouldn't ever get a X1. It's just that at this point, hardly anything's been shown that will make me want to buy one. Forza 5 is a good start, though.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Thats MS's fault. You think this is just a gaf thing. Look at Xbox one vids on youtube and compare them with PS4 vids. Its called scepticism. People are not willing to believe in MS but are willing to believe in Sony.

It's Microsoft fault that Sony GAF is trolling hard and salty on Forza 5?

BigDug13

As much as I understand why waiting to see is a good policy in general, you should probably realize how skewed your outlook on this whole thing looks, based simply on this post. It's a game highlight interview, one where the game manages good resolution and framerate, and the company still wanted to make the point to say they're not forcing developers to do anything they don't want to, and your (and certainly not only your) reaction was to assume some malevolent innuendo. Even when that contradicted the details from before about the game.

There's a good reason why you can't understand how the game discussed could run at 1080p when they were "spouting that resolution isn't important." You're thinking about it like a crazy person.

Sorry, when you're flooded by bad news from a particular company, then you do the math and realize you spent so much for online access that you could have bought a next gen console, you start to become cynical about anything a Microsoft employee says. I was an Xbox and 360 gamer through and through, but I can't stand for forced online requirements.

If this is 1080p 60hz native and not upscaled, that's great. The thing is there's a reason they can't force 1080p on developers. They didn't come out with the beefiest hardware this time as opposed to the previous two generations.

See for me, the Xbox was always symbolic of the powerhouse game system with the best looking multiplat titles at the highest resolution, while Sony was never known for having the most powerful system in a generation.

Just this news alone was enough to make me scratch my head at the power difference of XBO and PS4. Add to that anti-consumer features and I just don't see anything MS is doing this gen to capture me.

Marleyman

Banned
Is this how every Xbox related thread is going to be in the future? I don't mean the criticism part, but the juvenile LOL-ing of anything Xbox related in threads like these where it has no place. Does anyone actually think the random and nonsense vile is good for the forum?

I said this in a prevous thread; every thread Xbox related, no matter, results in posts like "power of the cloud" or "Xboned." Pointing out how ridiculous it is gets you labeled as an MS employee, etc.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
1080p @ 60FPS is very encouraging.

Especially with the 120fps physics and the g.emeral simulation detail always present in Forza games.

Still though. Some parts of the reveal trailer, namely the environments (buildings), and lighting don't look as good as I expected, and I have to think that is more the Xbox One's fault more than the dev teams talent.

gaming_noob

Is this how every Xbox related thread is going to be in the future? I don't mean the criticism part, but the juvenile LOL-ing of anything Xbox related in threads like these where it has no place. Does anyone actually think the random and nonsense vile is good for the forum?

GAF was once similar to Beyond3d Forums where many of its posts counted and had legitimate information/opinion. The constant one-liners and memes are getting out of hand and will not do the forum good in the long run...At the same time I having the feeling the mods are closely observing and it's perhaps a part of their tactic to eventually remove the clowns when the time comes.

This is crazy talk.

Of course resolution, frame rates and all that stuff matter. If it didn't then why do we need new consoles?

Both systems will have exclusive games that I'll want. I only used Halo as an example of something I want to see, and if I'm not impressed with what they reveal at E3 then why would I buy a X1 over a PS4 later this year?

And I never said that I wouldn't ever get a X1. It's just that at this point, hardly anything's been shown that will make me want to buy one. Forza 5 is a good start, though.

We don't buy new consoles PURELY for better resolutions and framerates, which is what your original post championed. The idea of a Halo with a set resolution and a set framerate... Not that the game look like an improvement over the previous generation, which can be achieved beyond just '1080p60'.

Sorry, when you're flooded by bad news from a particular company, then you do the math and realize you spent so much for online access that you could have bought a next gen console, you start to become cynical about anything a Microsoft employee says. I was an Xbox and 360 gamer through and through, but I can't stand for forced online requirements.

If this is 1080p 60hz native and not upscaled, that's great. The thing is there's a reason they can't force 1080p on developers. They didn't come out with the beefiest hardware this time as opposed to the previous two generations.

See for me, the Xbox was always symbolic of the powerhouse game system with the best looking multiplat titles at the highest resolution, while Sony was never known for having the most powerful system in a generation.

Just this news alone was enough to make me scratch my head at the power difference of XBO and PS4. Add to that anti-consumer features and I just don't see anything MS is doing this gen to capture me.

I understand your opinions on xblg and can appreciate that. I've been gold since beta and I still question my decision to keep it every single time, especially with what PS+ CURRENTLY offers (I would argue that the online experience as a whole is more friendly on xbl and ps+... if you took the free games away it wouldn't be nearly as appealing with so many features still lacking). I can't get behind or understand the forced online concept (especially if you're a PC gamer). I also wish people would stay with the facts of what we know for sure.

There is still a SHRED of hope that either its not as bad as everyone thinks or that the outcry will disuade their original intention. (And if we're rumor milling... we need to start to include Sony in ALL these discussions because they've been outed on that as well... they've just been smarter and kept quiet).

I can also see your view of the xbox as a powerhouse but even that is debatable as of this gen... However, I still see your point. I don't see the numbers game though. Yes, higher resolution will always look better than lower resolution, but a lower resolution can allow effects that using a higher resolution would not, etc etc... The OVERALL point is if the game looks and performs better than the previous gen, there really shouldn't be a complaint. Picking a number that should be a guideline for a new generation just seems silly to me if the end result still equals a better playing and looking experience.

I guess its just the anti fanboy in me (not accusing anyone specifically here) as I buy and enjoy both consoles for their exclusives. We know they're both going to offer great potential and yet we're focused on a number that at the end of the day doesn't necessarily mean anything substantial (in my opinion at least... I'll put it that way).

GAF was once similar to Beyond3d Forums where many of its posts counted and had legitimate information/opinion. The constant one-liners and memes are getting out of hand and will not do the forum good in the long run...At the same time I having the feeling the mods are closely observing and it's perhaps a part of their tactic to eventually remove the clowns when the time comes.

I've been a lurker much longer than a member, and even as a member (read: still junior after a few years) rarely post.... But I really have to agree. Legitimate information/discussion/opinion has quickly become just one-liners and flame your nemesis console/game company. It really seems like 99% of posts now are just little 'zing' moments to take a shot at the newest gossip or devastation (maybe a bit much there) of a different users choice of content.

Edit: Left what I originally said as it was... It seems they are doing an online checkin for CERTAIN now. A shame, but it won't hurt my experience. I know it's going to be hell for some and probably force a lot of people to look at other options for gaming. I'm VERY curious to see if Sony's plan is similar in any way.

Top Bottom