• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Handheld Gaming? Will they ever make one?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not in the sense of a PS Vita or a 3DS. It's clear even if unfortunate that the market is dying.

Surface compatible with the Xbox controller however, running a Halo specced somewhere between Halo 2 and Halo 3, that I can see h.appening

Consider that the traditional handheld market can only sustain one system after its contraction following the DS bubble (in this case, that system being the 3DS), I highly doubt Microsoft would ever want to make a handheld. They will probably stick with making the Xbox brand available across as many platforms as possible, and proliferate attention and awareness that way.

Fox Mulder

Except for the 360, they've basically whiffed in every hardware market. It would make more sense to just release games on all mobile platforms like they're doing now with stuff like wordament.

I would buy the shit out of hexic HD on my iPad.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What would M$ have to do to make a handheld appealing? Is there anything that they could make that would make you say I would really like to have that? Is there anything that people are wanting from a handheld that they currently can't get that M$ could produce to grab a sector.

Basically Nintendo is doing well in the sector. PS not so much. What does nintendo do that Sony hasn't been able to do? Is it just that phones are more of the sector that people want now? I mean I personally would rather have a handheld from M$ that play on my iphone if games are the only thing we are talking about. Or should we just accept that phones are the answer now? If that is so then how is Nintendo doing so well in the market? I mean my father has a DS, so that tells me there is a good market past the core gamers.

Rolf NB

Just imagine the talking points.

We'd hear about the practical benefits of 8 AA batteries. You can buy them everywhere! You'll never run out! They'll never die, like a Li-ion battery might
after five+ years
, except when they die of course -- but, excellent news, that will happen 500x more frequently!

We'd hear about 3.5 pounds of plastic and tin providing a solid, luxorious sensation. And about big hands. Big, asymmetric hands.

Microsoft are not the kind of company to be interested in a gaming portable. All they wanted is that multimedia hub that does everything.

Windows Phone and Surface is their portable gaming. But that failed hard. Even on Windows Phone, the games come way too late. Nobody will give a crap about Windows Phone until it starts to sell decently.

I would love for it to happen. Thinking about playing xbla games on a 720p screen would be amazing. But handheld gaming is niche, especially in the west.

I would love for it to happen. Thinking about playing xbla games on a 720p screen would be amazing. But handheld gaming is niche, especially in the west.

I'm sure MS has a solution to play those arcade games on a tablet or phone. Once they unveil their next Xbox, they will probably talk about some sort of portability because all the other guys have it.

ToxicAdam

There isn't exactly a wealth of exclusive content on the Xbox that I want to play in portable (ie. nerfed) form.

For me, portable has become a retro gaming platform. A way to relive old games and gametypes.

I don't think so. You can game on their smartphones and tablets. Plus seeing how the other handhelds are struggling in sales and content, I don't see Microsoft unveiling anything like that.

Windows Phone. To further back the point, look at the prices of some of the low end Windows Phone 8 devices. They cost the same, or even less than a PSP or NDS. They just need to put some flagship games on the platform and advertise it to Xbox owners.

Eusis

I wouldn't call it dead, but what is left is controlled by Nintendo. It would be pointless for MS to try.
Yeah, it seems to be MUCH healthier than people give it credit for (if it wasn't the 3DS would have growth that's an embarrassment compared to prior Nintendo handhelds, rather than merely being around the status quo), but at the same time this implies there's simply no room left. Sony managed to carve out their niche, only to lose most of it with the Vita switch, nevermind the rough last years of the PSP, and Nintendo certainly didn't take those people away so much as those that were multiplatform stayed multiplatform or skipped on Vita (for now) while the more casual users or some disenfranchised for whatever reason went to tablets/mobile.

Which also means that if you want to be loose then sure, Microsoft has their handhelds. They're Windows 8 Phone and Surface.

TheMan

there's no doubt in my mind that somewhere is the dark recesses of microsoft's headquarters, a protoype exists. however, considering that vita has bombed and even the 3ds is performing below expectations, there is absolutely no reason for microsoft to throw money down the drain and release a dedicated handheld. as other's have pointed out, they have windows phones and that is the closest they'll come.

I guess thats why 3DS is outselling consoles and why the DS is the highest selling console of all time
Do you honestly see a bright future for dedicated handheld gaming in the West? It's just not a market that anyone would want to enter right now. Nintendo has their place, but even that is going to shrink over time.

Cheebo

Banned
Handheld gaming is basically all but dead in the west. Why would they release one?

It only made sense pre-iPhone. iOS and Android killed most of the handheld market in the west, the niche that is left goes to Nintendo.

RedSwirl

Windows 8 phone is their handheld in addition to XBL extensions for iOS/And games.

I'm thinking that if it did happen, it would be a phone-less extension of the Windows 8 Phone like the iPod Touch. Maybe with some buttons attached and a similar architecture to Durango (if a lot less powerful) to allow for easier ports a lot more cross-play games. The only way I'd see this being of any use at all is if a significant portion of games you bought on XBL were cross-buy.

Doffen

I would buy a XBLA handheld.

You're in luck my friend. Windows Phone 8 would be your handheld of choice:

f846f34b-92d6-4f02-8fc5-027815af3457
9b45caa7-e529-43e2-9d13-8560d6b4047e
762e1f64-020f-4cf2-9a81-08c7841ed8df
f2f9f51a-f60c-4206-ab46-2678f9b7c61a

Strike

Makes no sense as they've already seen how Nintendo and Sony are doing with their dedicated handhelds in the current market. That and they already have windows 8 phones.

iirate

Outselling the PS Vita :) Like that's a hard thing to do...
Handhelds are much, much closer to phones than home consoles. They let you play games while mobile, where consoles don't.

I have trouble buying this. I don't think anyone has ever decided to just own a Vita/3DS instead of a smartphone, but there is definitely a crowd willing to eschew home console gaming for the dedicated handheld market(myself included).

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So am I the only person that doesn't like having buttons to play Mobil games. I have an I phone but I want a handheld with buttons and joysticks. Everyone saying that phones and tablets are the answer. I personally disagree as that is not the input type I would enjoy. I want physical buttons. Am I in the minority here? I want an Xbox version.

Defuser

Xbox brand is practically dead in Japan and the West have no interest in handhelds. Microsoft have to be fucking crazy to throw money to make a dead before release handheld.

Bullza2o

Ah so WP8 is considered the Xbox handheld. Glad to have all 3 handhelds then!

I don't like playing games on my iPod and WP8 though, except for games like Alphajax.

if anything the Surface Pro is more of the main "handheld" device I think.

JJD

If MS is smart they will never make one.

What they should do is try to make a good smartphone and mobile OS.

Opiate

As others have already mentioned, Windows Phone 8. Not sure why that doesn't count.

If you mean they should make a dedicated portable system, there is about as much interest in making a dedicated portable as there is in making a dedicated console. Neither is a growth market, and you don't see any companies rushing to enter.

Lunchbox

Banned
Wow, who knew the iPhone 4 could still look sexy almost three years later?

thats because newer phones have joined the fad of making big fat useless tablet like screens

when this bigger is better nonsense that samsung started stops we will get less ugly ghetto looking phones and back to iphone 4's perfection

Verendus

Banned
If you mean a dedicated handheld, then if they are smart, they will stay away. It is a market without a real future in the West.

Iacobellis

thats because newer phones have joined the fad of making big fat useless tablet like screens

when this bigger is better nonsense that samsung started stops we will get less ugly ghetto looking phones and back to iphone 4's perfection

iPhone 5 isn't terrible, but it was such an incremental upgrade from the 4S. iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 was big.

It would make no sense. Microsoft has shown a strong willingness to utilize existing mobile devices as a complement to the Xbox with Smartglass. They seem committed to what I think is a prudent move, business wise.

After all, with the Vita DOA in virtually every market the 3DS is becoming the only handheld of relevance. It would be impossible for Microsoft to ever think about infiltrating the handheld market that seems to be moving towards a smartphone + 3DS future.

Doffen

Library and quality.

I'm not going to argue on library, because it sucks. But quality wise there are a bunch of great games imo.

Personal favorites: Ilomilo, Skulls of the Shogun, Crimson Dragon: Side Story, Wordament, Hydro Thunder GO, Fusion Sentient, Rocket Riot, Z0MB1ES (on teh ph0ne), Mush, BulletAsylum and Tentacles.

Top Bottom