• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft in ‘uncharted territory’ with Crackdown 3

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That would be awesome. I've never actually played it, but would totally play a remaster or reboot.

There is a re-release for free on the Xbox Store. It's not heavily populated and there's a bit of a learning curve. It was popular for about 2 months, but fizzled out due to experienced players dominating the game and not giving new players a chance to grow.

I know this because I'm guilty of this and regret it immensely.

Xenon

All I know is that I enjoyed Crackdown, so I’m looking forward to trying this one too.

It’s really that simple.

Its a fun game, but lacks the cinematic flash when comparing g-peni on message boards. Honestly, the graphics of the first game were very off putting to me, I didnt care for the style. But they grew on me and the first time I scanned the city from atop a tall building was truly an OMG moment. The way the engine scaled the city was unprecedented and a sight to behold. Thats what I'm hoping for in the sequel, to be blown away by the subtleties.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Microsoft needs to stop putting so much undue pressure on this game. They've already oversold it once, and now they're trying to overhype it again using crazy hyperbole. Just let it be a damn Crackdown game, that's what people want. Stop trying to blow smoke up everyone's assholes.

Owari

As someone who’s played the game, no.

It looks and plays like a PS3 game. Not dissimilar to Spider-man last year.

Hype trains off the trails for both of these mediocre titles

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If you ever need proof that cloud gaming is nonsense, this is is.

Cloud gaming was the entire idea that the Xbox One was initially pitched on. They couldn't shut up about it months, hyping it up all the time and claiming it was the future of gaming.

And here we are. Nearly 6 years later. With one game.

Well said, such a load of shit this "magic cloud". Worlds most powerful console yet needs to hand off compute to a remote server somewhere to generate physics of a building falling down???

Has Battlefield not been doing destructible environments for years on local hardware, in multiplayer I may add, to pretty good effect?

It's not the future of gaming until everyone has a 200Mbps connection to their home with very little latency and even then I would not trust it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Well said, such a load of shit this "magic cloud". Worlds most powerful console yet needs to hand off compute to a remote server somewhere to generate physics of a building falling down???

Has Battlefield not been doing destructible environments for years on local hardware, in multiplayer I may add, to pretty good effect?

It's not the future of gaming until everyone has a 200Mbps connection to their home with very little latency and even then I would not trust it.
Ridiculous. Smh

Bet if it were Sony's system it would be pretty great, no?

Night.Ninja

Banned
Look at this thread....really look at it. Do you guys ever play games? Does every game have to look like Last of Us 2 or Red Dead for you to enjoy it? This place is a fucking joke of a gaming discussion forum sometimes.

As someone who played a couple hundred hours in the original, Crackdown 3 looks like a crackdown game. CEL SHADED and all about running around causing mayhem...Anyone who expected something else is a dumbass.

And for those that didn't actually read the article, this is the quote.

Realest crackdown 3 post ive seen in a while.

It’s sad when people making ludicrous comments to look edgy, all these it looks “like a 360 game” blind fucks.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So we can ascertain from this statement that what you consider "utilising the cloud" is just standard online infrastructure for games that has existed and been utilised for years by many companies, and has no relation to the concept that Microsoft touted out as the future of gaming back in 2013.

Utilizing the cloud can come in many forms. That has been shown already. Titanfall 1 used it differently than Titanfall 2, which also uses it differently than Crackdown 3 or Halo 5. I think "DA POWAH OF THE CLOUD", as you mock, simply refers to the versatility that using th cloud offers developers based on specific objectives.

Titanfall 1 used it for AI and Titan actions
Titanfall 2 used it to expand its reach globally, allowing for dedicated servers globally with a lot of flexibility
Crackdown 3 uses it for it's multiplayer destruction
Halo 5 used it to track data of the games played in order improve servers, gameplay, runtime analytics, etc.

You are being ignorant to serve your own bias. It's pathetic at this point.

Last edited:

kbear

I’m really looking forward to it. Unfortunately most people don’t realize how technically advanced this level of destructibility is because they see some low res textures, poor AF, whatever, and say the game looks like shit. Prime example is RF Guerrilla last gen — that engine, which I forgot the name of, took 4 years for Volition to create. It was an amazing achievement, especially with that hardware.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Ridiculous. Smh

Absolutely not. I have stated before that I bought a 360 primarily to play crackdown and I was not disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. This to me however just looks like it has not advanced in 10 years, that’s just my opinion. I can’t see where the cloud is adding any value.

What exactly about my post was ridiculous?

Listen I think the game will be good fun and that’s all that matters but I’m just saying that technically from what I have seen it is nothing groundbreaking as stated by Microsoft.

Gavon West

Absolutely not. I have stated before that I bought a 360 primarily to play crackdown and I was not disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. This to me however just looks like it has not advanced in 10 years, that’s just my opinion. I can’t see where the cloud is adding any value.

What exactly about my post was ridiculous?

Listen I think the game will be good fun and that’s all that matters but I’m just saying that technically from what I have seen it is nothing groundbreaking as stated by Microsoft.
They never said the game would be groundbreaking - not once. The Cloud destruction has NEVER been done in a game though. All they've ever said was that it would be Crackdown and Cloud destruction would be a part of MP only. Thats it.

What's with the wild expectations with this game all of the sudden???? It's bizarre.

Gavon West

I was actually fortunate enough to speak with the legendary BionicRoo BionicRoo in real life. Hopefully, he doesn't mind me quoting him, in this forum. This is exactly what he said to me, personally:

"...The (real) question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see Crackdown 3 except in a picture book?
I just wish (that) the world was twice as Halo and half of it was still Project Gotham Racing, said @BionicRoo."

_89632421_89632420.jpg

^@BionicRoo pictured above (y)

BionicRoo BionicRoo is a true commentator and historian of our time.

Confirmed.

Reading the subtext of BionicRoo BionicRoo 's post, we can all, at NeoGAF, confirm that he actually really loves Microsoft and wants to own an Xbox One, one day.

Especially, once his single, unemployed mother finds a new boyfriend to leach off of... and on that day his new fake daddy might be able to afford a second hand XBOX One to play Cuphead @ 720p. But, right now, this is just a distant dream.

...Please donate to BionicRoo BionicRoo 's Patreon. (He will happily show man-cleavage, on demand, for $0.50 and send old, worn underpants filled with @thelastword 's semen for $1.)

We should all take notice of BionicRoo BionicRoo sub-standard deviation quotient from the very basic IQ level of the modern five-year-old child.

Please.

Please understand.

Let's all put our hands together to provide social support for the mentally deficient, forty-year-old manchild, BionicRoo BionicRoo , And let him receive virtual glory hole penetration points from DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and @thelastword.
Lol. Jesus Christ! That last part actually stunned me. Like, I'm shook...
I dont even....

Ridiculous. Smh

No, and this is an incredibly lazy logical fallacy that is deflecting from discussing the topic.

PlayStation Now is just as much as waste of time and energy. It is a niche solution to a niche problem that appeals to a niche market. There is definitely a small market who has a use for this tech, but it is not "the future of gaming" and never will be, because its entire design is counter-intuitive by its very nature.

That has been shown already. Titanfall 1 used it differently than Titanfall 2, which also uses it differently than Crackdown 3 or Halo 5. I think "DA POWAH OF THE CLOUD", as you mock, simply refers to the versatility that using th cloud offers developers based on specific objectives.
Using an external server to control in-game AI is not "using the cloud". It's a rudimentary use of servers that has existed in games for over a decade. It's not new, special or unique. In this guess, it's just applying a buzzword where it doesn't even have any meaning.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No, and this is an incredibly lazy logical fallacy that is deflecting from discussing the topic.

PlayStation Now is just as much as waste of time and energy. It is a niche solution to a niche problem that appeals to a niche market. There is definitely a small market who has a use for this tech, but it is not "the future of gaming" and never will be, because its entire design is counter-intuitive by its very nature.

Using an external server to control in-game AI is not "using the cloud". It's a rudimentary use of servers that has existed in games for over a decade. It's not new, special or unique. In this guess, it's just applying a buzzword where it doesn't even have any meaning.

Dude, I'm sick of you and your selective, tone deaf quoting. Address my entire post, or don't address it at all. Otherwise, you'll just be blocked. I don't have time for this biased nonsense.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
They never said the game would be groundbreaking - not once. The Cloud destruction has NEVER been done in a game though. All they've ever said was that it would be Crackdown and Cloud destruction would be a part of MP only. Thats it.

What's with the wild expectations with this game all of the sudden???? It's bizarre.

They did use those exact terms...

https://www.developer-tech.com/news...ology-behind-crackdown-3-shown-proof-concept/

Our team doesn’t only focus on the brilliance of cloud-based technologies – we also pride ourselves in our ability to develop groundbreaking in-game features and concepts,” said Dave Jones, President, Cloudgine.

They did use those exact terms...

https://www.developer-tech.com/news...ology-behind-crackdown-3-shown-proof-concept/

Our team doesn’t only focus on the brilliance of cloud-based technologies – we also pride ourselves in our ability to develop groundbreaking in-game features and concepts,” said Dave Jones, President, Cloudgine.

States Microsoft stated the claim "groundbreaking"

Gets called out on it.

Makes post quoting someone that's not from Microsoft.

Oops???

JLB

Banned
Xbox one x, its the most powerful console in the world, yet it needs the power of the cloud.
Xbox one , its the least powerful console this gen, will probably run this game like shit @720p.

This gen's xbox has been a beautiful wreck, they took all the wrong choices.

Ehh no.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was actually fortunate enough to speak with the legendary BionicRoo BionicRoo in real life. Hopefully, he doesn't mind me quoting him, in this forum. This is exactly what he said to me, personally:

"...The (real) question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see Crackdown 3 except in a picture book?
I just wish (that) the world was twice as Halo and half of it was still Project Gotham Racing, said @BionicRoo."

_89632421_89632420.jpg

^@BionicRoo pictured above (y)

BionicRoo BionicRoo is a true commentator and historian of our time.

Confirmed.

Reading the subtext of BionicRoo BionicRoo 's post, we can all, at NeoGAF, confirm that he actually really loves Microsoft and wants to own an Xbox One, one day.

Especially, once his single, unemployed mother finds a new boyfriend to leach off of... and on that day his new fake daddy might be able to afford a second hand XBOX One to play Cuphead @ 720p. But, right now, this is just a distant dream.

...Please donate to BionicRoo BionicRoo 's Patreon. (He will happily show man-cleavage, on demand, for $0.50 and send old, worn underpants filled with @thelastword 's semen for $1.)

We should all take notice of BionicRoo BionicRoo sub-standard deviation quotient from the very basic IQ level of the modern five-year-old child.

Please.

Please understand.

Let's all put our hands together to provide social support for the mentally deficient, forty-year-old manchild, BionicRoo BionicRoo , And let him receive virtual glory hole penetration points from DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and @thelastword.

Why you quoting me in the same sentence as him with your head fiction?

Just because I don't like the all digital future push, and I've seen the writing on the wall one too many times with bullshit PR speak of needing to be connected to the internet to do things that physics processors can do in GPGPU?

I rarely if ever go in Microsoft game threads, especially for bashing or trolling in them. I just don't buy this bullshit that I feel will start to leak into all modes of play. People claimed that horse armor would not be a trojan horse, pun intended, yet it did.

I don't have to buy everything PR tries to sell me, and my criticisms would not change about this if it were Sony, the PC, or Nintendo trying to shoehorn the same thing.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Microsoft needs to stop putting so much undue pressure on this game. They've already oversold it once, and now they're trying to overhype it again using crazy hyperbole. Just let it be a damn Crackdown game, that's what people want. Stop trying to blow smoke up everyone's assholes.

giphy.gif

Wait. What I miss??? Microsoft is doing what again??

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I remember when EA said that their latest SimCity had to be connected to the internet at all times because it used cloud computing to boost the super duper advanced AI it used.

Until some hacker disabled that and there was no difference...

lV-426

Neo Member
Certain people are shouting "GAMEPASS!! " from the rooftops, but considering the low cost to subscribe, but full of games that are clearly low budget like Crackdown and Sea of Thieves as the marquee first party entrants, I'll pass.

Now if Microsoft puts up a game similar to Spiderman that cost multiple millions upon millions to develop, or Horizon Zero Dawn, or God of War, and let's me play that for just $10 a month, then I'll be impressed, but I won't believe it's sustainable.

All of this hinges on lots of xboxes moving off of shelves. Gaming is not a charity. Hence: Crackdown 3.

FranXico

Now if Microsoft puts up a game similar to Spiderman that cost multiple millions upon millions to develop, or Horizon Zero Dawn, or God of War, and let's me play that for just $10 a month, then I'll be impressed, but I won't believe it's sustainable.
MS literally is the only company that can sustain that. They have an endless revenue stream thanks to their monopoly.

lV-426

Neo Member
MS literally is the only company that can sustain that. They have an endless revenue stream thanks to their monopoly.

Oh yes, the legendary MS warchest of cash, of which we've seen no evidence of for Xbox division. Where are all the games? Next generation, right?

Gavon West

Oh yes, the legendary MS warchest of cash, of which we've seen no evidence of for Xbox division. Where are all the games? Next generation, right?
LOL!

D- for effort. Keep trying tho!

Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys say this stuff to personify real knowledge (which would be hilarious) or if you honestly believe some of the stuff you spew.

"No evidence of for the Xbox division."

Jesus! Lol

And frankly, if you're expecting games like Spiderman, God of War or Horizon on the Xbox -- dont. It's not going to happen. They arent looking to do what Sony does, clearly. I'm extremely glad they arent either. If you want those games, there's a system for it. Why would you want copy cats of the same games on Xbox that you can get on Playstation? Makes absolutely NO sense.

You should probably just be honest with yourself and admit that there's nothing Xbox can do to bring you over - that's cool bruv. Really. I doubt they believe they can appeal to every kind of gamer anyway. Like, there's nothing Sony can do to bring me over. No Gow, no Uncharted, no HZD...nada!

But I dont have to smash on Sony exclusives because they arent for me. Clearly they work for many others - and thats the point.

Last edited:
I, for one, accept the concrete truth that Crackdown 3 will sink the Xbox One and MS's entire gaming division but still look forward to playing it.

Grinchy

Banned

I felt exactly the same way as him about the reveal of the horrible looking multiplayer. He is pretty harsh about the single player, though. I'm still looking forward to trying that.

Though, there is this video of driving around and getting what appears to be some kind of side mission that does look pretty boring. It just seems so sparse and uncoordinated. The player slowly walks around what feels like a mostly empty refinery and it just doesn't look fun. I don't think that this is indicative of the whole actual campaign though. And we should also consider that the person playing it is the same guy who couldn't even get past the tutorial in Cuphead :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

Last edited:

lV-426

Neo Member
LOL!

D- for effort. Keep trying tho!

Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys say this stuff to personify real knowledge (which would be hilarious) or if you honestly believe some of the stuff you spew.

"No evidence of for the Xbox division."

Jesus! Lol

And frankly, if you're expecting games like Spiderman, God of War or Horizon on the Xbox -- dont. It's not going to happen. They arent looking to do what Sony does, clearly. I'm extremely glad they arent either. If you want those games, there's a system for it. Why would you want copy cats of the same games on Xbox that you can get on Playstation? Makes absolutely NO sense.

You should probably just be honest with yourself and admit that there's nothing Xbox can do to bring you over - that's cool bruv. Really. I doubt they believe they can appeal to every kind of gamer anyway. Like, there's nothing Sony can do to bring me over. No Gow, no Uncharted, no HZD...nada!

But I dont have to smash on Sony exclusives because they arent for me. Clearly they work for many others - and thats the point.

I knew about the OG Xbox when it was a white paper. I was a huge fan of the first one. was gonna get a 360, but they lost me at RROD. Was interested in xbone, but they lost me at Kinect and frankly very ugly PR and fake grassroots marketing., and no games.

I could easily buy an X. but Pro is stunning, my face melted at HZD 4K checkerboard pixel perfect, you'd need a magnifying glass to tell at those resolutions. Oh and a little thing called PSVR. RE7 in VR is the greatest Gaming experience of all time.

so yeah, it's going to take more than trying to sell me a $499 console to pay a $10 service. For old of middling games.

Anyway, back OT, this game needed to be incredible, a killer app. The PS3 won everyone back by sheer force of end of gen games that were undeniable.

You're going to enjoy it, but I couldn't imagine being an Xbox fan and willfully ignoring Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2.etc. I mean, the Ps4 is going down as the best library of all time at this point.

That's what it's about for Xbox fans, at least it was, new AAAA blockbusters, not a cheap pass to play old stuff.

I'll keep an eye on the next system but if all they have is a couple more teraflops, stick a fork in it. It won't matter. It doesn't matter now. If it did, ps4 would have fallen off a cliff and the Switch that can barely do 1080 P wouldn't be racing up the ladder.

Top Bottom