• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Insider Speculates on Xbox Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
...As the switch sold 35 million in 2 years.
In all seriousness I’m glad that Xbox got this wake up call this gen. It’s kinda like V for Vendetta. Consumers should not be afraid of their Companies. Companies should be afraid of their Consumers.
Yeah because Nintendo hit the reset button, sounds all good and positive right? Well think of this, the Wii U and Switch combined are basically in parity with where the Xbox One stands with an entire year extra in the market.

That's two systems in 6 1/2 years vs. one system in 5 1/2 years and they're basically in parallel. Microsoft screwed up, but relatively they've done just fine.

shrug.png

Zannegan

No I think the Wii U finished 3rd. I don't care what people say, the switch is not this gen.

Sure, but then, what gen is it? Did they kick off next gen 4 years early? What do we do when Nintendo launches a new system in 2022? Are they then starting next-next gen 6 years ahead of schedule? Or should we stack it up against its contemporaries, the XB1X and PS4 Pro, even though it isn't a mid-gen refresh but an all new console?

The Switch also got a surprising amount of concurrent, current gen 3rd party support for a Nintendo console and especially given its hardware. Doesn't that make it kind of current gen? Even the 3rd party remasters it gets tend to have PS4/XB1 releases at the same time.

My take: The Switch is current gen, so is the Wii U, but they aren't the same platform so you don't add them together. That means Nintendo will probably end up taking a respectable second and a distant fourth this gen. That way, we stack their next gen system up against the PS5/Anaconda, and by the time next-next gen rolls around, they may all actually be launching new hardware within a year of eachother, and generations will get simple again...

...assuming we aren't all trapped in a laggy streaming hell.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
I stopped reading to "Brad Sams" : 3

Sorry, but it's far from being a reliable source.

Last edited:
Sure, but then, what gen is it? Did they kick off next gen 4 years early? What do we do when Nintendo launches a new system in 2022? Are they then starting next-next gen 6 years ahead of schedule? Or should we stack it up against its contemporaries, the XB1X and PS4 Pro, even though it isn't a mid-gen refresh but an all new console?

The Switch also got a surprising amount of concurrent, current gen 3rd party support for a Nintendo console and especially given its hardware. Doesn't that make it kind of current gen? Even the 3rd party remasters it gets tend to have PS4/XB1 releases at the same time.

My take: The Switch is current gen, so is the Wii U, but they aren't the same platform so you don't add them together. That means Nintendo will probably end up taking a respectable second and a distant fourth this gen. That way, we stack their next gen system up against the PS5/Anaconda, and by the time next-next gen rolls around, they may all actually be launching new hardware within a year of eachother, and generations will get simple again...

...assuming we aren't all trapped in a laggy streaming hell.
The logical fanboy in me says it's bullshit that a company can just fuckup and get a second try within the confines of the same gen. Nintendo disgraced anyone who bought the Wii U, they didn't try, they didn't lower prices, they didn't change their messaging, operation or try to course correct anything. They basically told anyone who bought it to shove it up their ass and deal with in and then buy a Switch which 70% of Nintendo's games so far have been from the Wii U anyway.

As far as I'm concerned it was an early kickoff of the 9th generation. Retries shouldn't be allowed, you shouldn't be able to screw up, wave the white flag and then course correct, that's what new generations are for.

Look at the Dreamcast, it started the generation 2 years before anyone else and the Xbox and GameCube didn't come until 3 years later yet they're all 6th generation. Switch doesn't get an out, Nintendo bungled their 8th generation entry, they had their try.

Last edited:

Zannegan

As far as I'm concerned it was an early kickoff of the 9th generation. Retries shouldn't be allowed, you shouldn't be able to screw up, wave the white flag and then course correct, that's what new generations are for.
Okay, but it's going to get really weird/pointless discussing generations that are happening six years apart in completely different markets. It just makes the distinction kind of useless solely for the sake of meting out a punishment they'll never feel.

Really, like Omeggos said, it's all semantics, but, if you're going to compare gens at all, I've always found it most useful to define generations chronologically, because it tells you what's competing for dollars/mindshare. Talking about chipsets and second chances kind of feels besides the point to me. *shrug*

Last edited:

EGOMON

Guys guys 41 million is only the physical unit if we add the 90% typical Xbox digital share the skys is the limit

Last edited:

FStubbs

Considering the switch is already at around 35mil, I have no doubt that MS will end up third again this gen.

Shame, but hopefully the next system will look at this and focus on what made the 360 so great in its hay day cause frankly this gen the ps4 is more worthy of that successor than the one.

Ms is 2nd. Wii U was third.

I’ve never understood why so many people are so invested in things like this, you would think they are getting cut a cheque or something

Coz fanboys get royalty for every unit sold. So that's why they care about sales number.

For past 2 years Xbox sales are stuck at 40m according to Sony fanboys whereas PS4 is over 100m lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
50 million XBOX ONE units sold YTD makes sense considering PlayStation 4 was always selling at a 2:1 ratio against XBOX ONE consistently.

XBOX has a lot of brand recognition particularly in US, Canada, and Mexico. 50 million is a very plausible number and I would consider it a success for Microsoft.

What makes you think MS is holding onto that 2:1 ratio over the last year?

ethomaz

Banned
50 million XBOX ONE units sold YTD makes sense considering PlayStation 4 was always selling at a 2:1 ratio against XBOX ONE consistently.

XBOX has a lot of brand recognition particularly in US, Canada, and Mexico. 50 million is a very plausible number and I would consider it a success for Microsoft.
2:1 was really a thing of the past... it is already over that for some years.

It is probably around 2.2:1 today.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

That’s more than I thought this system was gonna sell, I didn’t think it was gonna go over 30m, they ain’t got no gamez, still I’m glad they sold that much

ethomaz

Banned
Found it.

XB1 US LTD: ~25.0m

That put WE estimates at:

Minimum: ~40.3m (62% US)
Maximum: ~43.1m (58% US)

To be fair both are pretty hard to be true so that is why it is min/max but US actual sales is around 58 to 62 percent of WW.

A long way to 50m and probably it won’t reach it due next-gen.

BTW thinking actual XB1 sales is out of that range ia fooling himself.

PS. Trying to estimate XB1 sales PS4 sales are another big mistake because the trend is the ratio increase year over year.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I have 42.16m units sold through end of 2018. I do not have accurate numbers as to 2019, but most of the weekly data suggests less than 2m (and possibly closer to 1m) units for 2019 easy. Sold through is probably in the 43-44m unit range. ethomaz ethomaz is probably pretty close.

* Friends don't let friends click on Brad's clickbait articles or videos.

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
This entire thread OP should just be a post in this thread:

No need to create your own duplicate thread just so you can have a soap box to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom