• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is Disabling Dev Mode Access on Xbox [Update: It was inadvertent]

Fake

Damn... rip emulators.

Maybe disable Xbox internet connection for deny the update?

Last edited:

JimboJones

I wonder what spooked them.

I know it's a shame especially to have that feature in one box but there are lots of options for emulation PC's (some pretty low spec) and Android options out there and you don't have to worry about overbearing console manufacturers pushing shitty updates.

So I guess they decided to enforce the code of conduct or terms of use or whatever? I remember there was something about publishing or whatever.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don't mean this in a flippant way, but, who cares about this, and who needs this?
Having access to emulators on your console without any extra setup or device is cool. I've been using it way more than I expected.
Its almost as if emulation isn't legal.
Retroarch is 100% legal though in itself, once again you don't know much about what you're talking about.

Duchess

Its almost as if emulation isn't legal.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but just for the record:

Emulation is not illegal. However, downloading, transmitting, and possessing ROMs (both games, system bios, etc. - essentially all the copyrighted stuff), is.

Sony

Nintendo
Not a super big deal. There are a lot of emulator that work on retail mode/ without dev mode. To name a few:
Retroarch, DuckStation, AMR2, Flycast etc.

Unless something changed, don’t you have to pay $20 to unlock dev mode to begin with? What happens for those who did? They’re SOL and out $20? I can’t watch the video right now so if it answers this please someone correct me.

Schmick

Who cares what your dad knows?

Why do this now? It's been months.
The point is... this doesnt affect a large group of people. Its sucks but it is what it is.

We dont know... could be MS's decision or pressure from Third Parties (the later would not be surprising).

kyliethicc

It’s almost as if you don’t know what you’re talking about
Having access to emulators on your console without any extra setup or device is cool. I've been using it way more than I expected.

Retroarch is 100% legal though in itself, once again you don't know much about what you're talking about.

Emulation is not illegal. However, downloading, transmitting, and possessing ROMs (both games, system bios, etc. - essentially all the copyrighted stuff), is.

No software license (aka game) you've ever bought entitles you to play ROMs via an emulator.

As is explained by a lawyer in the podcast linked.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't mean this in a flippant way, but, who cares about this, and who needs this?

Quite a few people bought a Series S to be their emulation box. It got a lot of good press as well.

As always though with youtube and the internet, there are caveats. They are disabling it for those who don't have an active store presence basically:

By now, you've probably heard about a trick that allows you to turn the Xbox Series X or Series S into a glorified emulation system with the ability to run PS1, PS2, GameCube and Wii games — but it looks like Microsoft is finally clamping down on it.

This trick requires you to pay for developer mode access, but now multiple reports are coming in that Microsoft is disabling those dev mode accounts, stating that they "did not have an active presence in the Store."

Here's the wording from the email being sent to multiple dev mode users:

"We have disabled the Windows and Xbox enrollment in your Microsoft Partner Center account because it did not have an active presence in the Store. For reference, see the Developer Code of Conduct which says that an active presence in the Store must be maintained."

Ultimately then, it sounds like Microsoft is suggesting that because these "developers" aren't actually utilising their accounts to create games or apps as intended, the accounts are essentially inactive and are being removed as a result — even despite the fact that people have paid $20 for them, which is certainly a bit of a bummer.

Then again, this trick was always a bit of a risky practice for emulation enthusiasts, and we assumed Microsoft would clamp down on it eventually. It's definitely a shame though — especially as the emulation performance was so good!

kyliethicc

It is 100% legal to make backups of any game you own, and play them however you'd like.
Nope you don't own games. You own a license with very strict use permissions. And it doesn't allow copying.

"GRANT OF LICENSE. The Software is licensed to you, not sold. SIE LLC grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Software for personal use on your PlayStation system."

"This license does not include the right to, and as a condition of this Agreement, you agree not to (a) rent, lease or sublicense the Software or make it available on a network to other users without the express prior written consent of SIE LLC; (b) modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software; (c) create derivative works from the Software; (d) create or make available unauthorized mods; or (e) copy, publicly perform or broadcast the Software without the express prior written consent of SIE LLC."

I recommend watching the podcast. Its a great interview that explains it all legally.

That’s not what you said, though.
Well its what I meant. That's why I said "almost."

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The point is... this doesnt affect a large group of people. Its sucks but it is what it is.

We dont know... could be MS's decision or pressure from Third Parties (the later would not be surprising).
It's so got to be the latter. But, theres always silver linings, Pi4's, RG351mp's, Steam decks, GPD Wins, Nvidia shields, mobile phones, among other.. stuff

So thank christ for that :messenger_bicep:

Reactions: GHG

MikeM

Meh. If I can’t play my discs I own on old machines, i’m playing it through emulation. I own the disc, and if I want to put it into my console, pc, toaster etc, i will do so.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait people who were using developer mode to NOT develop stuff are being banned from using developer mode?
Mild shock.gif

So they are enforcing their own code of conduct?

No more RetroArch on the Series X/S.
RetroArch, FlyCast, Duckstation etc etc dont need Dev mode to run on Series X|S.

MVG himself basically started the thought process that you needed Dev mode to run emulators.
Because, of his video a bunch of people started creating Dev accounts....purely for emulation....something that is not even a requirement.

P.S
It isnt actually directly tied to emulation or even the Xbox.
Its basically MS is cleaning up dry Dev accounts.
Even people who arent using Dev Mode but had Dev accounts and never bothered to actually use it are being purged.
The Windows, XNA, WindowsPhone Dev mode accounts are also being purged.

So basically MS has said if you arent using your dev account, you might as well not have a dev account.

baphomet

Nope you don't own games. You own a license with very strict use permissions. And it doesn't allow copying.

"GRANT OF LICENSE. The Software is licensed to you, not sold. SIE LLC grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Software for personal use on your PlayStation system."

"This license does not include the right to, and as a condition of this Agreement, you agree not to (a) rent, lease or sublicense the Software or make it available on a network to other users without the express prior written consent of SIE LLC; (b) modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software; (c) create derivative works from the Software; (d) create or make available unauthorized mods; or (e) copy, publicly perform or broadcast the Software without the express prior written consent of SIE LLC."

I recommend watching the podcast. Its a great interview that explains it all legally.

Well its what I meant. That's why I said "almost."

Top Bottom