• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is in talks to acquire Discord, a video-game chat community, for more than $10 billion

Jigsaah

Gold Member
if Discord approached Microsoft and asked for 10 billion...that's just silly.

No shot Discord is worth 10 billion.

half a billion, take it or leave it.

Not in recent years. I would say it's just a common thing to hate on them. Ever since 2013 their image as a whole went down the drain. But in my opinion, I would put more trust in Microsoft over companies like Google, Apple, Amazon, and even Facebook.
True, they don't seem that smart.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

It's high. That's $100 per active user. I would think 5 billion is more realistic, but MS is just looking to bleed some cash on hand and continue to play the keep away acquisition game.

Reactions: JLB

reksveks

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Their most recent valuation when they raised money was 7bn.

KEMcSOP.jpg

On a serious note though, these "social" apps, websites, and platforms are usually very expensive. $10billion although seems a bit high, I don't think it will be that overvalued. I'm just not sure of the idea if MS needs to enter this space.

Mattyp

Gold Member

People said the same thing about Minecraft, LinkedIn & Github.

Microsoft ended up buying bargains compared to todays values because they're one of the only players in the game with the access to that kind of cash just sitting around. $10 billion is cheap for the amount of users in the most used social program in gaming now I would say.

All they need to do is release this on xbox and PS5 for all those crossplay games and bam. Wish I had it on my xbox.

reksveks

KEMcSOP.jpg

On a serious note though, these "social" apps, websites, and platforms are usually very expensive. $10billion although seems a bit high, I don't think it will be that overvalued. I'm just not sure of the idea if MS needs to enter this space.
As others have mentioned there is a couple of reasons that Microsoft would be interested in buy discord if it was up for sale. 1) hurts Google cloud who I think is their existing cloud provider
2) gives them more time with consumers to upsell other products

ZywyPL

Banned
On a serious note though, these "social" apps, websites, and platforms are usually very expensive.

Because there's already an established, huge userbase, that's what you're paying for. Otherwise you'd have to start from scratch, spending just as much if not more, except without guarantee that you'll succeed with luring the audience onto your solution (as seen with Mixer). Because realistically, what are the odds of creating a Discord alternative? Basically none, tons of people are already on it, are familiar with it, there's simply no way someone will want to leave all their friends for another, new platform that does exactly the same.

Last edited:

FranXico

Of course they will. They'll turn Discord into a giant FUD factory that can only be used by the Xbros to plot and conspire against poor Mother Sony.

Also the team at Digital Foundry will make up the new board of directors and get a big raise in their usual Xbox shill pay.
So funny. The sad reality is that their fanatics do it for free.

pasterpl

Game pass & discord integration might be cool, you know something like start playing your game directly from you discord via xCloud regardles of device you are using discord on

Wizz-Art

Discord owner(s) approched Microsoft with an opening offer of 10 billion that they're looking to sell their company for. Microsoft seems interested for the right price and then started negotiations.

When someone is looking to sell something, your not straight up going to pay the asking price, especially if there is no interest by another party. You're going to negotiate and it seems that's what they're doing untill they find common ground that both are happy with. That's how deals are made imo.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Buying Discord not just give current users but all Windows Gamers in the future.

They have integrated Video capturing and even LFG system in-built in Windows (Win + G). Adding discord in their is a masterstroke, for them.

It's going to be impossible hiding your presence even if you have not opened Steam or other services. The Windows bar is always active.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Enable mic input, allow it to run in the background and maybe allow it to run on the side.

It also works in the PS5 browser. You can use the PiP feature (Picture and Picture), so you can see your active chat while gaming and even interact with it.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
The azure/aws angle does make some sense as well.

Say you make widgets and break even after spending 30% of ur revenue on steel from ABC steel.

A steel company comes and buys ur company. Now they have a widget company that breaks even and can add to their revenue by buying their own steel to make the widgets.

SSfox

They can spend 10B $ for this, but can't spent 30 million $ to make a proper AAA KI game, what a piece of joke this company is.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They can spend 10B $ for this, but can't spent 30 million $ to make a proper AAA KI game, what a piece of joke this company is.
They also need a studio who will agree to dedicate themselves to the KI franchise. Amazon bought the only one willing.to.

Top Bottom