• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is in talks to acquire Discord, a video-game chat community, for more than $10 billion

iJudged

Banned
Shit. I use discord all the time! If they do it right, it could be amazing with cross play cross chat integration

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People seem to forget that Microsoft isn't only Xbox.

Microsoft delivers professional solutions to other companies in form of Office, Skype, and now they probably also want a chat room solution to businesses as well.

If this happens, we will need to find another solution. It was nice while it lasted, not having to use Teamspeak and other self hosted options.

Imagine being such a dedicated Sony fanboy that it is impossible to use software that has Microsofts name on it.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I mean, the integration into the xbox-system would make sense given how popular it is on PC which is also a MS platform.
But that price seems horribly horribly overblown.

GymWolf

wut??? because ms doesnt even feel any pressure from sony ?
Sure, buying bethesda and discord is clearly the move of someone who doesn't feel pressure from the other big vg companies who did better in the past gen...

I often spend almost 20 billion dollars just to buy some food where i'm not hungry.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Sure, buying bethesda and discord is clearly the move of someone who doesn't feel pressure from the other big vg companies who did better in the past gen...

I often spend almost 20 billion dollars just to buy some food where i'm not hungry.
Again discord acquisition it would not happen with the idea of Xbox it would certainly help the division with a probable integration as a side effect...but this would be 'ms looking for companies that can strengthen the offer of azure

Last edited:

fermcr

tenor.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Discord is not game centric only... it is about everything.... there are several servers for Anime, Series, Mangá, Translation, Novels, etc etc etc.

It is all type of discussions.

We are talking here about a MS acquisition as whole and not just the Uncle Phil division... Phil is probably not even on par with the negotiations.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why? They have Teams. It's everything discord is and more.
Teams is utter shit... it is the sucessor of way superior Skype Business.

Discord and Teams are not even for the same tasks... Teams is focused in team work tasks for corporations.... it is similar to Zoom, Slack, etc.

Discord is for general community talk similar to WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Microsoft is not Google. Google business is selling you. Microsoft business is selling software, most of which doesn’t collect data to sell.
You must not be familiar with the spyware that is Windows 10. https://www.privacytools.io/operating-systems/#win10

Discord will be another avenue of selling user data for them. It's not like Discord isn't already doing this as their privacy policy isn't very good.

KiNeMz

Banned

Discord and Teams are not even for the same tasks... Teams is focused in team work tasks for corporations.... it is similar to Zoom, Slack, etc.

Discord is for general community talk similar to WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.
You may say teams is shit. But what component? If you wanna compare voice/PBX features then yes teams doesnt compare to Skype for business. But it's getting there. When it comes to collaboration, channels, persistent chat it destroys Skype. I know I've been building Lync/Skype platforms for major Australian business for years now.

People that say they destroyed consumer Skype. You may be right. But they didn't purchase consumer Skype for consumer. They bought to enhance their enterprise product. They built the Teams backbone infrastructure of the the Skype platform. So Teams is basically Skype. With SharePoint included. The engine, server infrastructure and codecs all Skype.

They could easily branch off teams, brandish it with a different name to match discord features and make it more consumer centric.

But maybe they just want the customer base.

I just don't see why they need the discord tech when they already have it.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Skype and Skype for Business are two completely different products. The latter is just a rebranding of Microsoft Lync and is just an objectively inferior product to Microsoft Teams. Skype for Business will be retired in July 31, 2021 and they will only promote Microsoft Teams to businesses and enterprises henceforth.

ethomaz

Banned
You may say teams is shit. But what component? If you wanna compare voice/PBX features then yes teams doesnt compare to Skype for business. But it's getting there. When it comes to collaboration, channels, persistent chat it destroys Skype. I know I've been building Lync/Skype platforms for major Australian business for years now.

People that say they destroyed consumer Skype. You may be right. But they didn't purchase consumer Skype for consumer. They bought to enhance their enterprise product. They built the Teams backbone infrastructure of the the Skype platform. So Teams is basically Skype. With SharePoint included. The engine, server infrastructure and codecs all Skype.

They could easily branch off teams, brandish it with a different name to match discord features and make it more consumer centric.

But maybe they just want the customer base.

I just don't see why they need the discord tech when they already have it.
It is too slow even in high-end PCs... it make my work slower because it always frooze to make anything (I end it when I don't need to use and my PC become so fast) and my development tools get slowed because the Teams is using too much memory and CPU.
It is confusion... I'm signed to different organizations and the way it works is a pain.

Voice and video is good when it works.... most of time I have to try again because it fails to enters in video conference rooms... the remote desktop feature is lagged.

I mean it is the complete opposite of the simplicity of the Skype Business... here at work when Teams start to be an issue I ask people to change to Skype or Zoom (Zoom is very very good for video conference and remote desktop sharing).

It is the default App in the company I work.

Skype and Skype for Business are two completely different products. The latter is just a rebranding of Microsoft Lync and is just an objectively inferior product to Microsoft Teams. Skype for Business will be retired in July 31, 2021 and they will only promote Microsoft Teams to businesses and enterprises henceforth.
Yeap... I know and Skype Business was vastly superior to Teams.
Teams is counter-productive and Skype Business not.

Already tried to use a Virtual Machine with Teams opened?

Last edited:

Gatox

Banned
It is too slow even in high-end PCs... it make my work slower because it always is frooze to make anything and my development tools get slowed because the Teams is using too much memory and CPU.
It is confusion... I'm signed to different organizations and the way it works is a pain.

Voice and video is good when it works.... most of time I have to try again because it fails to enters in video conference rooms... the remote desktop feature is lagged.

I mean it is the complete opposite of the simplicity of the Skype Business... here at work when Teams start to be an issue I ask people to change to Skype or Zoom (Zoom is very very good for video conference and remote desktop sharing).

I think you need to check your system as I've literally never had any of those problems on mine, and we run over a slow ass VPN that screws all kinds of things up usually.
Teams is a great bit of kit, file sharing for example is really useful.

ethomaz

Banned
I think you need to check your system as I've literally never had any of those problems on mine, and we run over a slow ass VPN that screws all kinds of things up usually.
Teams is a great bit of kit, file sharing for example is really useful.
My machine is very very high-end (8-core/16 threads CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) because I need it for my development tools that takes a lot of resource.
The Teams just take everything and make the work a pain.

Last edited:

Greggy

I don't believe this but who knows? Facebook bought whatsapp becuse their intel was showing it to be outperforming facebook messaenger by miles and a potential facebook killer. Maybe MS saw something but frankly, just buy more publishers if you have 10 illion ready, Microsoft. CD Projekt has never been this affordable and you could probably get them with Square Enix for that price, gosh.

KiNeMz

Banned
It is too slow even in high-end PCs... it make my work slower because it always is frooze to make anything and my development tools get slowed because the Teams is using too much memory and CPU.

I would say that it hasn't been implemented correctly. I've seen so many businesses just turn it on In o365 and expect it to work. There's alot of work to go on behind the scenes to deploy Teams correctly. I digress. They both have their pros and cons. It can be a resource hog. But so can discord.

MiguelItUp

Much like a lot of PC fans, I absolutely love Discord. But this definitely concerns me with how things like Skype and Mixer were handled. As long as there's a world where we know Discord will remain intact and be okay, I'd have no problem with it. But, other than that. Ugh. Don't do it, lol.

ethomaz

Banned
I would say that it hasn't been implemented correctly. I've seen so many businesses just turn it on In o365 and expect it to work. There's alot of work to go on behind the scenes to deploy Teams correctly. I digress. They both have their pros and cons. It can be a resource hog. But so can discord.
I don't use Discord for PC so I can't tell... I use on Phone and it works pretty weel.
BTW I'm right now using Team on Phone as a workaround and it is heavy (slower in navigation) than Discord in a IPhone 11... I started to use it on iPhone for chat and just open it on PC for video conferences.

Here at our team we use Zoom when Teams is not required but our whole company and customers uses Teams.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of Microsoft buying Discord because do people remember Skype? Neither do I.

I use Discord a lot, so I wish they'd rather go public than being bought.

Gatox

Banned
My machine is very very high-end (8-core/16 threads CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) because I need it for my development tools that takes a lot of resource.
Doesnt matter how high end your machine is, that doesnt stop software from being badly set up. My works machine is high end too, and I have never had any of the problems you have had, nor have any of my colleagues.

reforen

more than 10 billion for a chat community? what could be the benefit of this purchase? for Zenimax were 7.5 billion and one of the clear benefits that can be seen is to add more games and attract more people to gamepass

ethomaz

Banned
Doesnt matter how high end your machine is, that doesnt stop software from being badly set up. My works machine is high end too, and I have never had any of the problems you have had, nor have any of my colleagues.
Badly setup? There is no option to setup Teams... you install it and choose to let it run in background ou not... if I let it in background it basically make my work slower due how much hungry for resources it is.

Maybe your company has a light use of the Teams... here it is having chating all the time with several organizations and rooms.

BTW if you go on MS dev community you will find tons of threads with Teams UI slow, lagged or irresponsible... not is not my issue.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Discord worth more than Bethesda? Wall Street is just insane..
I think it shows this is more of a business-business purchase rather than gaming-purchase.
Hooking so many already using Discord users in their eco system is massive for these companies.

Gatox

Banned
Badly setup? There is no option to setup Teams... you install it and choose to let it run in background ou not... if I let it in background it basically make my work slower due how much hungry for resources it is.

Maybe your company has a light use of the Teams... here it is having chating all the time with several organizations and rooms.
How hungry? I`m on a call now, multiple users and I`m presenting showing drawings and teams is using 3% CPU, 360MB Memory and 0.3Mbps network. Its a bit hungry on memory but not that bad, in fact I have 2 Google Chrome tabs open and they are using almost the same amount of resource.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Our organisation is run on Teams. We have thousands of low end laptops at peoples home (due to lockdown) which work great on teams. Sounds like a setup issue. Hope you get it sorted.

ethomaz

Banned
How hungry? I`m on a call now, multiple users and I`m presenting showing drawings and teams is using 3% CPU, 360MB Memory and 0.3Mbps network. Its a bit hungry on memory but not that bad, in fact I have 2 Google Chrome tabs open and they are using almost the same amount of resource.
Hungry enough to make others apps not run fast... like high CPU usage and RAM... I mean how can Teams use 30% of the CPU? Or over 1GB or RAM?

Our organisation is run on Teams. We have thousands of low end laptops at peoples home (due to lockdown) which work great on teams. Sounds like a setup issue. Hope you get it sorted.
I already tried everything even follow that article: https://www.technipages.com/fix-microsoft-teams-high-cpu-and-memory-usage

Maybe you use of Teams is not like the all organizations I have on it... probably to a small number of organizations, rooms, chats, tabs, etc it should work better.... I don't know.

Last edited:

Gatox

Banned
Hungry enough to make others apps not run fast... like high CPU usage and RAM... I mean how can Teams use 30% of the CPU? Or over 1GB or RAM?
Like I said, that sounds like something is setup wrong as I`ve never had Teams slow anything down, and certainly not use up that kind of resource.

Alright

Banned
I don't get it? isn't discord just reddit, MSN chat, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, IRC, etc etc?

Let's hope Microsoft relaunch the chat pad.

When you look at the censoring practices of Amazon (Twitch) and Facebook, I'd take MS buying them over those others if they are looking to be bought.
Someone's going to do it if they are acticely looking for a buyer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Like I said, that sounds like something is setup wrong as I`ve never had Teams slow anything down, and certainly not use up that kind of resource.
I just opened the Teams... waited 5 minutes and took the screen.... I was doing nothing.

Rkosv6N.png

Of course I have a Virtual Machine running all the time but it setup is very light with only 2 cores and 2.5GB of RAM.... even so it is a VM with Legacy DevTools running (just the DevTool takes 1GB or more RAM but it was not opened right now) but the VM never go over 1.8-2.0 GB RAM of the RAM allocated.

As a developer for Windows I can't understand how a App for videoconferences can take that much RAM and CPU when not doing video conferences... I can understand using the video or audio feature because there is audio/video transcode but not just chatting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom