• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking at using the Cloud to help Xbox One X games take up less space

ViciousDS

Banned
yes, how about not.......fucking data caps are bad enough.....I would like to permanently use the space and then not have to constantly worry about data transferring

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
so instead of a one time download/install, it now constantly downloads the bits it needs as you play and wipes what you don't need? so if you play the game again it's literally having to download it all again in small bits and send it to your machine to access. this sounds worse? sounds like you could end up using way more bandwidth than if you had it all there and kept it? maybe i'm misunderstanding

It depends whether your limiting factor is bandwidth or HDD space.

I have a fully unlimited internet connection, so this could potentially save me having to buy a massive hard drive.

If bandwidth or data caps are an issue the you carry on as normal.

Options.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
so instead of a one time download/install, it now constantly downloads the bits it needs as you play and wipes what you don't need? so if you play the game again it's literally having to download it all again in small bits and send it to your machine to access. this sounds worse? sounds like you could end up using way more bandwidth than if you had it all there and kept it? maybe i'm misunderstanding

No, I think you've got it. Plus tack on issues of data caps and dodgy connections and it's a minefield. Ideal scenario is that it's just optional, so that those who are able to take advantage do and save some storage space.

Doesn't really help anyone else, mind, so hopefully MS don't rely too heavily on it for future titles.

alexbull_uk

So streaming assets as and when they’re needed?

Interesting idea, but then you can’t play offline, and folks with slow or capped connections will suffer even more.

leeh

ITT: People not understanding how cloud infrastructure works at all and complaining about data caps for a smart feature which will be most likely optional and would work well for a large majority of people.

watdaeff4

I'm sure Microsoft would appreciate if everyone would just forget about it, but welcome to the internet, where a former slogan is now a source of easy jokes at their expense.

I feel that it was already pretty clear.

Yeah, the joke isn't going away, just like $599, get two jobs, Mattrick's "we got a console for that ", or Ryan's "who would want to play these games."

OT: I'm skeptical of how it turns out

pieface

Always amuses me when people have an uproar about anything cloud based.

I couldn't give less of a shit. My Xbox is always connected to the internet. 'Cos I only play at home. I have the internet at home. Simples.

yes, how about not.......fucking data caps are bad enough.....I would like to permanently use the space and then not have to constantly worry about data transferring

Yeah. I'll pass. Redmond forgets that they're in fibre country in silicon valley. Most of the world doesn't have the infrastructure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Please MS. Don't repeat the same marketing mistakes. Don't bring up the cloud as a selling point for XBX.

AT ALL.

Gattsu25

Banned
If you cared to read the OP, you'd realise its a ingenious idea.
Not with US ISPs adding in data caps. This is a surefire way to max out your data caps especially if you maintain multiple saves or take part in New game+ modes. You don't just download a game once, you download parts of the game over and over again as it dynamically deletes parts from your local storage.

Kusagari

ITT: People not understanding how cloud infrastructure works at all and complaining about data caps for a smart feature which will be most likely optional and would work well for a large majority of people.

The large majority of people in the only market carrying MS right now are under data caps.

Marcel

Have fun with all your data-hungry features if the current head of the FCC gets what he wants and eliminates net neutrality, establishing the basis for paid internet fastlanes in addition to existing data caps.

Colbert

Banned
Please MS. Don't repeat the same marketing mistakes. Don't bring up the cloud as a selling point for XBX.

AT ALL.

A platform guy is talking how they want to expand the platform. Thats no marketing at all, this is about platform capabilities on Xbox Live being discussed/looked at internally.

People seem to really over-react if they hear "MS" and "cloud" in the same sentence combined with drawing quick conclusions have nothing to do what actually was said.

Nictel

How it reads to me is that it sorts of wants to handle some data like a SSHD where "recent" stuff is make more readily available. That's well and good until you want to race on a new track and you might instantly need a heap of new assets that would obviously not downloaded instantly. It also raises the issue of not readily having some of the data available for people using 1080p displays where it would benefit from rendering higher and downscaling.

Again, this is actually pretty clever, but it's for a world where everyone has perfect a gigabit connection with no limitations or caps.
They made so many claims and promises of improved game capabilities and performance. Tech demos, listing games it could help, etc. This and "DX12 will change everything!" are memes for a reason.

In theory you could already do this if you could set your Onedrive as external HDD. Sure their proposed solution will probably have quicker drives but suspect the drive won't be the bottleneck most of the time anyway.

Just stop. Please. I don't want the cloud.

I got news for you

Have you downloaded a game digitally? A patch or update? DLC? You used the cloud

People love to throw the word Cloud around but anytime you are uploading or downloading data on servers you're utilizing it

What Microsoft is talking about here isn't really all that different than how your systems currently work. It's just controlling which data is downloaded at what time and cleaning up old data locally.

killatopak

Gold Member
stop assuming things. can you provide the percentage of people who are the large majortiy who isn't affected by things like data caps? Data caps isn't even my problem with this, it's bandwidth. Sorry I'm not living in the glorious usa or any other country with blazing fast internet speed. poor me.

You do know games dont run off discs right?
wha?

--
Realistically this would only work on games that features linear levels where you can't turn back. This removes chapter select or open world games where you can access everything anytime.

itsFizz

You do know games dont run off discs right?
I´m pretty sure he knows this. Also you do know that you could install "parts" of a game from a disc? So you could still have the dynamic game installs but without the hassle of a required internet connection or any data cap concerns.

jdmonmou

That sounds like a really good idea that I hope one day comes to all Micorosft platforms, PC included. I have a 1 TB drive on my PC and managing game installs is really a challenge. Every little bit helps.

The only issue I see from this is that it could cause you to use up more bandwidth if you're constantly having to download/delete sections of a game to save hard drive space. For people with data caps such as myself that will be a big issue.

Zeta Oni

stop assuming things. can you provide the percentage of people who are the large majortiy who isn't affected by things like data caps? Data caps isn't even my problem with this, it's bandwidth. Sorry I'm not living in the glorious usa or any other country with blazing fast internet speed. poor me.

I'm sorry, but how does any of this make a point against Microsoft continuing work on this?

The only thing you managed to say in all of that is that its not for you, congratulations.

Not a single time has this been mentioned to overtake anything already in place, and by all accounts seems to exist for people with good internet speeds limited by storage space.

What is going on in this thread? This is some GameFAQ's level posting.

So streaming assets as and when they’re needed?

Interesting idea, but then you can’t play offline, and folks with slow or capped connections will suffer even more.

This. It's like those Quantum Break videos. Option for those who swear by their internet connections would be nice, but whoever came up with enforcing it on PC should be drug out into the street and shot.

NolbertoS

I'm sorry, but how does any of this make a point against Microsoft continuing work on this?

The only thing you managed to say in all of that is that its not for you, congratulations.

Not a single time has this been mentioned to overtake anything already in place, and by all accounts seems to exist for people with good internet speeds limited by storage space.

What is going on in this thread? This is some GameFAQ's level posting.

Problem is they're going to alienate the fans that have data caps and non- blazing internet speeds. If thats what MS wants to achieve and aplinter further there base, by all means carry on MS, nothing stopping them. Again, they better think this through carefully and provide other options.

Zeta Oni

Problem is they're going to alienate the fans that have data caps and non- blazing internet speeds. If thats what MS wants to achieve and aplinter further there base, by all means carry on MS, nothing stopping them. Again, they better think this through carefully and provide other options.

How are they going to alienate anyone if external hard drive support is already supported on every console they have?

How is them developing something for even a niche group of people with good internet saying anything about their support for people with crappy/capped internet when by all accounts, they seem to be staying updated on the front as well?

Didn't they just announce transferring games directly from Xbox to Xbox instead of through your internet, as well the ability to download One X versions of games early just days ago?

Jumeira

Banned
Jesus christ at the first page, people are trying hard to turn this into something its not. This sounds like a option for these large downloads, there is no cost to us. So if you want this on a large HDD go ahead and buy one, if not, this measure is trying to make it more convenient, there is no controversy here.

KageMaru

Great idea as long as it's optional. This my be an issue for people with data caps or spotty connections.

Game sizes will continue to get bigger, so these companies will need to look into ways to combat that.

Edit:

This thread is what gaming has come to. All over some optional storage options that are being looked into.

Pretty much. People were bitching about file sizes in the Forza 7 100GB thread. MS presents a possible option to help, and people still bitch.

Gestault

Presumably you could just not enable the feature, and download files normally. Best of both worlds for people who would use it and people who won't, right?

foltzie1

Or you could make the HDD more easily replaceable and allow your power users to swap out with a 2TB 2.5 HDD. Heck, sell a SKU without any HDD but with a reasonable amount of flash storage and create an Apple fusion like drive to quick load the OS and frequently used game files. . .

This cloud solution will work well for people on Microsoft's campus and college students, and the handful of folks with fiber connections.

Fredrik

Sounds like a great idea, until your internet connection goes down...
But if it's optional. Go for it. Just don't make it mandatory, for "Why would I want to live there?" reasons.

Blanquito

And if they drop support for that game on the future, do you just get nothing when you drive through those areas?

The article doesn't say that you can have those assets locally, but one would hope so. But without any firm evidence that you can, it just kind of seems... Not fully fleshed out yet.

theWB27

Great idea as long as it's optional. This my be an option for people with data caps or spotty connections.

Game sizes will continue to get bigger, so these companies will need to look into ways to combat that.

Edit:

Pretty much. People were bitching about file sizes in the Forza 7 100GB thread. MS presents a possible option to help, and people still bitch.

There is real vitrol on the first few pages that I read over some damn storage options. It's pathetic.

And if they drop support for that game on the future, do you just get nothing when you drive through those areas?

The article doesn't say that you can have those assets locally, but one would hope so. But without any firm evidence that you can, it just kind of seems... Not fully fleshed out yet.

Yes...it isn't fleshed out because they're still looking into it.

Jumeira

Banned
This thread is what gaming has come to. All over some optional storage options that are being looked into.

Its toxic and frankly shameful, It would be nice to get some moderation in these threads now, as its been completely derailed over nothing but irrelevant 2013 cloud speak.

OP, i know you meant well, but the reference to the Cloud obviously triggered the trolls. Lesson for next time.

Top Bottom