• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

Well this topic is about Obsidian as much as Xbox so of course people who are primarily pc gamers (for example) or Obsidian fans are gonna discuss this.

Your sides are ridiculous, so I either have to blindly cheer on Microsoft or I'm just "concern trolling"? As if the only people who would dare say something negative about Xbox are trolling? Maybe I'm worried what will happen to the Pillars games after this? But no to you you're either on the Xbox side or you're a xbox hater Sony loving fanboy.

If Xbox do make good on the creative freedom promises and we start seeing a steady stream of quality games you fucking bet I'll get the next Xbox, I'm a gamer I go where the games I want to play are.

Are those same PC gamers buying good titles like Forza Horiozn 4 or is it just more bullshit excuses? My example was about those who keep going on and on and can't ignore the Xbox/Microsoft topics. As for Obsidian how about we fucking care about the people and their livelihoods and having JOBS than this self-centering narrow minded views that now they will turn into shit studios.

Hayfield

Banned
Are those same PC gamers buying good titles like Forza Horiozn 4 or is it just more bullshit excuses? My example was about those who keep going on and on and can't ignore the Xbox/Microsoft topics. As for Obsidian how about we fucking care about the people and their livelihoods and having JOBS than this self-centering narrow minded views that now they will turn into shit studios.

In just 2 replies you've insinuated I'm a concern troll, a fanboy, accused of making bullshit excuses, and finally claiming I am a self centered, narrow minded person who doesn't give a shit about other peoples lives.

Yeah fuck this, why did I even bother replying to you? It's like discussing politics with someone who has trump derangement syndrome, or discussing the wage gap with a feminist, it's an ultimately pointless exercise that just causes frustration.

In just 2 replies you've insinuated I'm a concern troll, a fanboy, accused of making bullshit excuses, and finally claiming I am a self centered, narrow minded person who doesn't give a shit about other peoples lives.

Yeah fuck this, why did I even bother replying to you? It's like discussing politics with someone who has trump derangement syndrome, or discussing the wage gap with a feminist, it's an ultimately pointless exercise that just causes frustration.

You already said if they allow creative freedom you will support them so I'm not sure why you are getting defensive. I said they, not particularly you. It was a generalization unless of course I hit the nail on the head and you as a a PC gamer don't buy the good Windows games like Forza Horizon 4 but do buy PS4 exclusives. Obsidian games will be on Xbox and Windows store, so let's not get ahead of ourselves suggesting their future titles will be worse. They need financial backing, this should be your concern.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
One things for sure, PS5 and the proverbial next gen is safe as houses. After that, things may take a turn. Fans of Sony franchises have a bright future for the time being.

Microsoft is unproven at this point in time. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst as the saying goes.
Unproven?! Really?!.....that's.....interesting. lol Do you guys actually believe the crap you post? Is this why so many are terrified of Microsoft, even to the tune of hoping they go 3rd party or just become a gaming service that hopefully lands on Playstation? Lmao! You guys are funny....

Gavon West

Whataboutism is such a weasel's tactic, not surprised it's a communist tactic.

To get more on topic, the issue I feel most have is there is a distinct lack of proof that Microsoft acquiring a studio is a good thing. As for the creative freedom they are giving lip service to there is even less evidence that Microsoft will provide those freedoms. I think it's a case of whether you judge a company based on their actions (those worried what this acquisition would mean for Obsidian) or whether you judge them on their PR.
So....let me get this right. Microsoft needs 1st party games and needs more 1st party studios to make 1st party games but, when they buy 1st party studios to make more 1st party games, it STILL isnt enough?

And I like how some of you just COMPLETELY gloss over the fact that Xbox is under entirely new management. There's no fear of them running any of these new studios into the ground, and with the way they started this gen, we can definitely feel secure in that they will do what they said they will do, and give First party devs the freedom to create what they want.

Why not just be honest; there's nothing Microsoft can do right in your eyes, and that's fine. It's just fucking weird how some of you act towards anything Xbox, like youre afraid you might switch if they keep bringing in all these bangers and great services. Like you're saving yourself for marriage to Sony or something. Lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

Unproven?! Really?!.....that's.....interesting. lol Do you guys actually believe the crap you post? Is this why so many are terrified of Microsoft, even to the tune of hoping they go 3rd party or just become a gaming service that hopefully lands on Playstation? Lmao! You guys are funny....

Not sure what’s so amusing. Apart from the traditional handful of pillars carried over from past gens, everything new has misfired and been abandoned my MS. This new direction in acquiring devs to produce content is yet to yield results. Personally I’m waiting in anticipation, but until something comes off it - it’s unproven no?

Why the outrage?

Gavon West

Not sure what’s so amusing. Apart from the traditional handful of pillars carried over from past gens, everything new has misfired and been abandoned my MS. This new direction in acquiring devs to produce content is yet to yield results. Personally I’m waiting in anticipation, but until something comes off it - it’s unproven no?

Why the outrage?
You've confused being baffled with being outraged......I get it.......I think. lol

Anyways.. 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10, PGG, Rare, even Ninja Theory are growing as we speak. They're hiring 600 more game developers to add to the growing roster of dev houses. But.....lets just not concern ourselves with any of that, and instead, lets just focus on hos many projects and studios have been shut down. God knows, their the only one's that do it. Oh ,wait...

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...losed-so-many-game-studios-this-gen-29363528/

Dunki

So....let me get this right. Microsoft needs 1st party games and needs more 1st party studios to make 1st party games but, when they buy 1st party studios to make more 1st party games, it STILL isnt enough?

And I like how some of you just COMPLETELY gloss over the fact that Xbox is under entirely new management. There's no fear of them running any of these new studios into the ground, and with the way they started this gen, we can definitely feel secure in that they will do what they said they will do, and give First party devs the freedom to create what they want.

Why not just be honest; there's nothing Microsoft can do right in your eyes, and that's fine. It's just fucking weird how some of you act towards anything Xbox, like youre afraid you might switch if they keep bringing in all these bangers and great services. Like you're saving yourself for marriage to Sony or something. Lol
Just like Sony Microsoft needs to follow their words first and so far they have not done this. but this is even beside the point.. NOTHING that MS has would fit a Studio like Obsidian. It would be a fucking waste especially with MS Store exclusivity which I am sorry but will never buy from.

If they maybe did some project exclusively first and they have shown yeah you can trust them then maybe. But without any proof I am scared for the future of Obisidian and I am sure many people working there right now will leave the company in les than a year. So in the end all thats left will be the name

Gavon West

Just like Sony Microsoft needs to follow their words first and so far they have not done this. but this is even beside the point.. NOTHING that MS has would fit a Studio like Obsidian. It would be a fucking waste especially with MS Store exclusivity which I am sorry but will never buy from.

If they maybe did some project exclusively first and they have shown yeah you can trust them then maybe. But without any proof I am scared for the future of Obisidian and I am sure many people working there right now will leave the company in les than a year. So in the end all thats left will be the name
Um...do you even own an Xbox? I'm guessing no, since you seem to have a major stick up the back end about Windows store and brought it up.

They've purchased a total of 6 (technically 7) studios thusfar..barring the Obsidian acquisition goes through - which there's no reason to believe it wont. And I'll take the bet that no one leaves Obsidian after the acquisition goes through. Your post is literally plagued with every reason why you hope Microsoft fails. It's fucking sad...Jesus. Lol

Again, you act as if you're saving yourself for marriage with Sony. Is it for the kids? Lol.

Last edited:

Dunki

Um...do you even own an Xbox? I'm guessing no, since you seem to have a major stick up the back end about Windows store and brought it up.

They've purchased a total of 6 (technically 7) studios thusfar..barring the Obsidian acquisition goes through - which there's no reason to believe it wont. And I'll take the bet that no one leaves Obsidian after the acquisition goes through. Your post is literally plagued with every reason why you hope Microsoft fails. It's fucking sad...Jesus. Lol

Again, you act as if you're saving yourself for marriage with Sony. Is it for the kids? Lol.
The store on windows is terrible if you want it or not. Furthermore it would mean no possible Linux or Mac version for others. No drm free like fog and so on.

Also where do I hope ms fails? Iam saying that they need to show this change first before I trust them. I love obsidian games. And I don’t want them to be gone.

I remember when I came to gaf, because there was more civil discussion here than other places.

To clear up a simple thing; people aren't against Microsoft having 1st party output. They're negative to the notion that they're not able to foster studios themselves, and must buy them from others (which also means making previous IP exclusive to MS now).

I get the negativity, but it's a good move on Microsoft's part. Like they said, buying up 50-100 man studios that output games every 2-3 years that goes into game pass. Pillars of Eternity didn't set the sales world on fire, but maybe a lot of people will check out such a highly rated game when they get it for "free".

There is plenty of pitfalls, and reasons to be sceptical of MS's competence of handling this, but only time will tell the outcome. MS seems a lot more focused now, though, with a clear plan, and I think it will pay off.

Gavon West

Microsoft has built studios from the ground up as well. This includes The Initiative... As far as I'm concerned, they've got their bases covered when youre talking about acquiring studios. Build them and buy them. Their doing both at the moment. Still not sure what the problem is. Every one of hte big three has closed studios and ended projects. This isn't a situation in a vacuum. It just seems like people would rather dismiss Microsoft for doing it, when it happens as often for the others.

Gavon West

The store on windows is terrible if you want it or not. Furthermore it would mean no possible Linux or Mac version for others. No drm free like fog and so on.

Also where do I hope ms fails? Iam saying that they need to show this change first before I trust them. I love obsidian games. And I don’t want them to be gone.
It's all ready happening. The change has BEEN happening for some time now. Frankly, if you can't see it by now, you never will. May as well wait for Google and Amazon to toss their hat in the ring, or just stick with Sony. Some people wont be convinced no matter what happens. I'm sure Microsoft realizes this as well.

Cosmogony

When Microsoft acquired Ninja Theory, the studio came out to detail how the courtship went, the kind of assurances they were given, the sort of creative freedom and independence they would be enjoying.

I see no reason to disbelieve them or to think things will play out differently with Obsidian, a company with a particularly troubled history. This is such a great move by Microsoft. It further signals their belated epiphany that the battle is won on the IP side, not on the hardware side. So if things do turn out the way Ninha Theory described, then Microsoft and Obsidian will likely have a bright collaborative future ahead.

It's a win-win situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavon West

Well this topic is about Obsidian as much as Xbox so of course people who are primarily pc gamers (for example) or Obsidian fans are gonna discuss this.

Your sides are ridiculous, so I either have to blindly cheer on Microsoft or I'm just "concern trolling"? As if the only people who would dare say something negative about Xbox are trolling? Maybe I'm worried what will happen to the Pillars games after this? But no to you you're either on the Xbox side or you're a xbox hater Sony loving fanboy.

If Xbox do make good on the creative freedom promises and we start seeing a steady stream of quality games you fucking bet I'll get the next Xbox, I'm a gamer I go where the games I want to play are.

Yeah, no. Im gonna call bullshit on this. Frankly, if you arent excited about the new direction Microsoft has been taking to turn the ship around (which there have been many...) then there's no way in hell you will care about what they do in the future. The steps they've taken are more than enough proof that they've learned from past mistakes. You just seem bitter, and entitled. As if Microsoft needs to please you in order for you to buy their system. You know damn well Microsoft is DEAD SERIOUS about this gaming thing - especially since Phil took over. It's not hard to see. And it isnt like they are trying to hide it.

You have no interest in an Xbox or what they have to offer. And that's okay. Your choice. But don't sit up and act like if they do this or that, you'll suddenly change your tune. I'm betting when the games drop from the new dev houses, you'll find something else to bitch about. Seriously.... just move on.

Last edited:

Hayfield

Banned
Yeah, no. Im gonna call bullshit on this. Frankly, if you arent excited about the new direction Microsoft has been taking to turn the ship around (which there have been many...) then there's no way in hell you will care about what they do in the future. The steps they've taken are more than enough proof that they've learned from past mistakes. You just seem bitter, and entitled. As if Microsoft needs to please you in order for you to buy their system.

You have no interest in an Xbox or what they have to offer. And that's okay. Your choice. But don't sit up and act like if they do this or that, you'll suddenly change your tune. I'm betting when the games drop from the new dev houses, you'll find something else to bitch about. Seriously.... just move on.

Well yes, they do have to please my tastes for me to buy their product, same with Sony and same with Nintendo, that's kinda how this works. Do you even read what you type?

I'm just taking a wait and see approach or is that bullshit too yeah? Are my only options to either worship at the altar of Phil or be a blasphemer against the mighty Xbox?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Well yes, they do have to please my tastes for me to buy their product, same with Sony and same with Nintendo, that's kinda how this works. Do you even read what you type?

I'm just taking a wait and see approach or is that bullshit too yeah? Are my only options to either worship at the altar of Phil or be a blasphemer against the mighty Xbox?
Actually, no. They don't need to please your tastes in gaming. At all, in fact.

Wait and see. That's fine. No harm there. But to outright deny the moves they've been making and then suggest they haven't learned anything from the past (even with current events suggesting they have) is legit ridiculous. CLEARLY this is not the Xbox from the start of this generation. You have to be blind not to see.

In fact, how many fingers am I holding up?

You went from discouraging everyone not to buy Sea of Thieves (to the point of going into every thread about it) to complete silence when they do offer great games like Forza Horiozn 4. Here you are mocking them for closing studios/games at a time where there is new direction and positive atmoshpere within the company and finally full backing of the CEO. So tell me, what merit do you have at all when it comes to Microsoft/Xbox? Ninja Theory is excited yet you can't be for them?

Don't forget that this brainiac spent a large part of his "Enter every SoT thread to blindly shit on it tour" arguing that you couldn't try SoT for FREE with the FREE two week trial of Gamepass because that would mean you would spend that FREE trial on SoT instead of another hypothetical future release.

I mean if you can't understand the basic concept of free I pity you and am not really interested in your other nonsensical ramblings.

Mokus

Yeah, no. Im gonna call bullshit on this. Frankly, if you arent excited about the new direction Microsoft has been taking to turn the ship around (which there have been many...) then there's no way in hell you will care about what they do in the future. The steps they've taken are more than enough proof that they've learned from past mistakes. You just seem bitter, and entitled. As if Microsoft needs to please you in order for you to buy their system. You know damn well Microsoft is DEAD SERIOUS about this gaming thing - especially since Phil took over. It's not hard to see. And it isnt like they are trying to hide it.

Wow! You're overdoing this. Like Microsoft is God and if others are skeptical they must be some sort of sinners.
When Microsoft acquired Ninja Theory, the studio came out to detail how the courtship went, the kind of assurances they were given, the sort of creative freedom and independence they would be enjoying.

I see no reason to disbelieve them or to think things will play out differently with Obsidian, a company with a particularly troubled history. This is such a great move by Microsoft. It further signals their belated epiphany that the battle is won on the IP side, not on the hardware side. So if things do turn out the way Ninha Theory described, then Microsoft and Obsidian will likely have a bright future ahead.

It's a win-win situation.
Do you think people from Lionhead Studios will be hired again? Maybe Phil can do some good to these people after the old Microsoft fired them.

Hayfield

Banned
Actually, no. They don't need to please your tastes in gaming. At all, in fact.

I said in order for me to buy their product, that product and thus the company that produces it must impress/please me in some way, why the fuck on earth would I buy something that is unpleasing to my tastes?
There is a huge difference between me saying this company has to please me (which I didnt) and me saying this company has to please me in order for me to buy their product (which I did).

Last edited:
I agree with the other guy say obisidan should be giving the shadowrun ip to do. I want to see an AA/AAA budget shadowrun game coming from them

Gavon West

Wow! You're overdoing this. Like Microsoft is God and if others are skeptical they must be some sort of sinners.

Do you think people from Lionhead Studios will be hired again? Maybe Phil can do some good to these people after the old Microsoft fired them.
Over doing it? Not really.. Is just the same old schticks get so old and worn out, you get tired of hearing it. Call me crazy, but I don't hold grudges agaisnt console makers, and I judge people (or companies) based off of what they do. Thusfar, everything Microsoft is doing are the right moves. There's no reason to believe they've put in all this work and made such heavy investments to turn around and toss it all away by repeating past mistakes. Ninja Theory mentioned they wouldnt have even joined Microsoft if it werent for the fact that they could keep creative freedom. Like, seriously, why would that change with Obsidian, PGG, Rare or others? Doesnt compute...

Cosmogony

I'm not privy to any info, but if you're suggesting the same could happen to Obsidian, staff being fired, that is, then, yes, it certainly could.

Microsoft voluntarily offer to buy Obsidian.
Obsidian voluntarily accept the offer, probably because they aren't doing that great.
Microsoft are the new owners.
New owners get to decide who stays and who goes, as should anyone in the same position.

It's all voluntary.

Until proven otherwise, my assumption is that Microsoft tends to act rationally, with their best interests in mind, which in this case are laying out the groundwork for their next-generation console to succeed. This means creating a varied and attractive IP portfolio, a goal to which Obsidian have shown they can contribute to. To that intent, it seems likely Microsoft will provide the support and infrastructure Obsidian has been missing and whose absence has been preventing them from breaking through.

Holding on to every single current Obsidian employee might sound noble and charitable, read especially virtuous in a Tweet, but it could also help hold them down or even sink the entire ship. Just like in any other business, sometimes you have to let some go, in order to keep most on the payroll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mokus

Over doing it? Not really.. Is just the same old schticks get so old and worn out, you get tired of hearing it. Call me crazy, but I don't hold grudges agaisnt console makers, and I judge people (or companies) based off of what they do. Thusfar, everything Microsoft is doing are the right moves. There's no reason to believe they've put in all this work and made such heavy investments to turn around and toss it all away by repeating past mistakes. Ninja Theory mentioned they wouldnt have even joined Microsoft if it werent for the fact that they could keep creative freedom. Like, seriously, why would that change with Obsidian, PGG, Rare or others? Doesnt compute...
Since they advertised that they are hiring someone for implementing microtransaction for the next Halo game, I doubt that they changed that much as you try to sell it to us so (so so so) hard.

Funny you say all that considering your forum name and all...

Mokus

I'm nor privy to any info, but if you're suggesting the same could happen to Obsidian, staff being fired, that is, then, yes, it certainly could.

Microsoft voluntarily offer to buy Obsidian.
Obsidian voluntarily accept the offer, probably because they aren't doing that great.
Microsoft are the new owners.
New owners get to decide who stays and who goes, as should anyone in the same position.

It's all voluntary.

Until proven otherwise, my assumption is that Microsoft tends to act rationally, with their best interests in mind, which in this case are laying out the groundwork for their next-generation console to succeed. This means creating a varied and attractive IP portfolio, a goal to which Obsidian have shown they can contribute to. To that intent, it seems likely Microsoft will provide the support and infrastructure Obsidian has been missing and whose absence has been preventing them from breaking through.

Holding on to every single current Obsidian employee might sound noble and charitable, read especially virtuous in a Tweet, but it could also help hold them down or even sink the entire ship. Just like in any other business, sometimes you have to let some go, in order to keep most on a payroll.
This post is way more reasonable than the previous one.

Business is business and not charity, and it's valid for gaming too. Microsoft isn't buying Obsidian to save some people from hardship but to make a good deal (the best if possible).

Gavon West

Since they advertised that they are hiring someone for implementing microtransaction for the next Halo game, I doubt that they changed that much as you try to sell it to us so (so so so) hard.
Gasp! Does that mean you won't be playing the next Halo? Plus I'm betting its nowhere near what youre thinking. Whatever... Its pointless to debate. We can agree to disagree.

Mokus

Gasp! Does that mean you won't be playing the next Halo? Plus I'm betting its nowhere near what youre thinking. Whatever... Its pointless to debate. We can agree to disagree.
I'm talking about "live services" which is not developers choice but something usually forced by the publisher on studios. And that is not creative freedom. Because of this I don't trust them blindly.

Last edited:

Pallas

They’re buying these studios up to diversify their library, more than likely its to offer a little bit of everything via gamepass which, like it or not is developing into a game changer.

God and sinners? Can we get any more serious about videogames? Most of the people from Lionhead are now working on a title for Sega, maybe Microsoft should just go after Sega or try and get Studio Liverpool.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2...t-fuer-klassische-rollenspiele-wiederbelebten

Above all, the opportunity to obtain more money for development by investing in it was especially attractive. Basically, the platforms are similar, Fig is dedicated to video games alone. Fig supported Obsidian in marketing the game and offers special tools for developers. Is obsidian going back to that? "I'm not sure if we'll need crowdfunding for another game in the future - let's wait and see!" He says. In view of the rumors about a takeover by Microsoft an interesting statement.

Corrik

I wish Microsoft could get Konami's IPs somehow. Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Suikoden. Would be sweet. Too bad Konami has them hostage while they stick to the mobile nonsense.

I respect Avellone, but I kind of fail to see how it'll be worse if Obsidian goes under instead.

Re-forming after Obsidian goes bankrupt with some of the devs and making something like Pathfinder with its reception isn't exactly the most alluring prospect either.

It'd probably be a smaller team, and they'd likely not even get the sales of Pillars.

Either way it's speculation though at this point.

The Alien

Banned
Exciting. I think it's a great move for both. Microsoft gets a solid studio they need. That studio gets to remain a studio.

WaterAstro

I wish Microsoft could get Konami's IPs somehow. Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Suikoden. Would be sweet. Too bad Konami has them hostage while they stick to the mobile nonsense.
Why would you want Microsoft to have them? They'll do nothing with them just like they're not doing anything with their own IP and just license out Mechwarrior and Shadowrun like they're nothing.

Ragnaroz

I respect Avellone, but I kind of fail to see how it'll be worse if Obsidian goes under instead.

Re-forming after Obsidian goes bankrupt with some of the devs and making something like Pathfinder with its reception isn't exactly the most alluring prospect either.

It'd probably be a smaller team, and they'd likely not even get the sales of Pillars.

Either way it's speculation though at this point.
Avellone is salty that he won't be getting a piece of the pie. He was writing hit pieces at Obsidian management over on RPGCodex back in May. The timing of it was weird, but now that we know what was going on in the background, it makes perfect sense.

Shmunter

Does anybody know why obsidian didn’t get The Fractured but Whole after their success with The Stick of Truth?

Last edited:
Why would you want Microsoft to have them? They'll do nothing with them just like they're not doing anything with their own IP and just license out Mechwarrior and Shadowrun like they're nothing.

You mean like Heavenly Sword, Ape Escape, Sly Cooper, Eight Days, SOCOM, Wipeout, Warhawk, Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter, MediEvil, The Getaway...

At least this way they won't be locked to just a game console and all third person 30fps action adventures.

Does anybody know why obsidian didn’t get The Fractured but Whole after their success with The Stick of Truth?

They partnered with Ubisoft, who owns the rights.

Last edited:
Top Bottom