• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

At all! Rumor has it that there may be three more acquisitions announced at X0.

Well, Microsoft had something like $120 Billion (U.S.) that they were repatriating, and they've only used but a quarter of it on acquisitions. Hell, Microsoft could go through and pick up Tecmo, Capcom, and Sega, make a huge splash, and still have plenty of those funds for other projects.

Fbh

I'm not sure I like this.

Best case scenario MS allows them to continue doing their recent style of games, except now I'd have to buy them from the Windows Store instead of GOG or Steam, which sucks
Or they give them a big budget and they are forced into making some online focused , "living" game as a service thing as most other big budget MS games.

Nothing wrong with the store. Only issue is so called “power users” who turn off their automatic updates and then cannot access the store because they are missing some security patch.

I only own one UWP game , Gears 4, but my experience with it has been terrible.
I had to try and download it 3 times until it actually worked because for whatever reason I would turn on my laptop and all the 80gb it had already download were just gone and the store had no recollection of ever having downloaded the game (back then I had a pretty slow connection, so it took time to download each time).
Then before I could even play it went into all the "Xbox account" BS (because my microsoft account isn't enough?) which would get stuck so I couldn't even get it done until a few days later when it just stopped doing that.

And then there's stuff which I don't know if they are UWP or just Microsoft related but Gears 4, for example, is the only PC game I own that doesn't just have a basic resolution selector. It's some weird scaling thing that just doesn't work for me (Laptop has a 4K screen but not the hardware to run Gears in 4K 60FPS, but I can't seem to be able to set resolution to 1080P, the only way I have found to force it is connecting the laptop over HDMI to a 1080p screen)
t
And games are pretty expensive and don't go on sale nearly as frequently as on every other PC storefront

Last edited:

Zewp

It's Microsoft way to take away from others instead of building something new.

Take away from others? What bizarro world do you live in when MS acquiring independent studios that never belonged to Sony, is "taking away from others"? Also, what's stopping Sony from "building something new"?

You just can't win with Sony fanboys. First they shit on MS for not having enough first-party titles. Then they acquire studios so they can do just that and suddenly MS are monsters too. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Take away from others? What bizarro world do you live in when MS acquiring independent studios that never belonged to Sony, is "taking away from others"? Also, what's stopping Sony from "building something new"?

You just can't win with Sony fanboys. First they shit on MS for not having enough first-party titles. Then they acquire studios so they can do just that and suddenly MS are monsters too. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Microsoft has a history of stealing games from pc gamers to push their consoles. You may don't like facts but you can't change history.

The Alien

Banned
Where did you hear that?

The rumors are all over the ol' interwebs. Some potential truths, some not. It's all just speculation until announced.

To further speculate: aside from Obsidian, here are the other potential studios mentioned (again, rumor until announced) :
  • Moon Studios (Ori)
  • Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
  • Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct)
I expect Obsidian to be confirmed at XO2018 along with at least one other studio.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I've said it here so many times MS can't compete with Sony so they're buying up companies something they can do

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Not sure if Microsoft still have the MechWarrior license. There's a new MechWarrior in development, so I'm not sure if the devs got the license or if the license is handed out on a project-by-project basis (Something that Disney should do with Star Wars, IMHO...).
They still have it. They licensed it out like they did with Shadowrun. Why they didn't ask for a console port of the Shadowrun games as a part of the licensing agreement I have no idea.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Where did you hear that?
There's a thread in Resetera. One of the posters there (who, along with a couple of other solid sources that post there...) mentioned Obsidian wasn't the only dev house Microsoft was acquiring. Also Window's Central guy (name?) mentioned he's expecting at least the announcement of three studios at X0. I'd wager we get at least two more at X0, personally.

Gavon West

Why would you waste such a great developer on such a IP? You are a Monster....

Seriously having Obisidian under Microsoft will not be a good thing. Not onyl for costumers which are now bound the the MS store but also about the quality of the games. If this is happening I bet many people will leave Obisidian shortly after. Now they have the creative freedom they need but under MS they will not.
You realize that Microsoft and the Xbox brand are under new management, right? This isn't Xbox of old. I'll take the bet that Microsoft allows Obsidian all the creative freedom they need.

Also, here.. You should see this..

Gavon West

I've said it here so many times MS can't compete with Sony so they're buying up companies something they can do
Wake up bro. You're dreaming.... Not sure you've been paying attention to all that's been happening in the Microsoft camp but, I gotta tell ya; Next gen is DEFINITELY looking to not just compete.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wake up bro. You're dreaming.... Not sure you've been paying attention to all that's been happening in the Microsoft camp but, I gotta tell ya; Next gen is DEFINITELY looking to not just compete.

We'll see. Personally I think Playstation is in way too strong a position to be easily challenged due to their overwhelming marketshare advantage. They just need continuity in order to remain on top.

I think its good that MS are finally addressing their anaemic first-party situation, but the reality is that no matter who they buy their output is still bound by the same economic and labour requirements as everyone else. i.e. 3+ year dev cycles from mostly single project studios. Meaning that in the end its just going to represent an extra exclusive or two per year, so its hardly going to be the end of the world for the competition!

Gavon West

Yeah, your reality doesnt make sense. First, gamers are the most unloyal tribe in all existence. They change with the weather. They go where the games, services and most powerful hardware are. Because Sony ran away with this gen, means absolutely jack shit for next gen. It's a whole new ballgame bro. And it's any of the Big 3 to win. As a gamer, you should know this by now.

And we dont know what Microsoft has planned, or what these new acquisitions already have coming down the pipeline. I'd suggest a "wait and see" approach for now.

WaterAstro

You realize that Microsoft and the Xbox brand are under new management, right? This isn't Xbox of old. I'll take the bet that Microsoft allows Obsidian all the creative freedom they need.

Also, here.. You should see this..

So the management that canned Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and closed down Lionhead and Press Play.... wait, it's the current management lol.

Nice PR video btw. It's quite meaningless until there are results.

Gavon West

So the management that canned Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and closed down Lionhead and Press Play.... wait, it's the current management lol.

Smh.... some can't see the forest for the trees. Jesus Christ... Because Sony or Nintendo NEVER cancel games or close studios.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, your reality doesnt make sense. First, gamers are the most unloyal tribe in all existence. They change with the weather. They go where the games, services and most powerful hardware are. Because Sony ran away with this gen, means absolutely jack shit for next gen. It's a whole new ballgame bro. And it's any of the Big 3 to win. As a gamer, you should know this by now.

And we dont know what Microsoft has planned, or what these new acquisitions already have coming down the pipeline. I'd suggest a "wait and see" approach for now.

Its all about momentum, as I've remarked on numerous occasions MS problems began in the final 2 years of the 360's service life while conversely Playstation's resurgence/recovery began around the same time. Sony closed out the gen with TLOU, whereas MS were still pushing Kinect.

Big market shifts can happen, but they tend to be precipitated by big mistakes on the part of the dominant player, as opposed to genius moves on the part of the upcomer. Advantage will naturally preserve itself, especially so in mature digital-distribution ecosystems where users are discouraged from switching platform due to their standing financial investment in non-transferable products and services.

WaterAstro

Smh.... some can't see the forest for the trees. Jesus Christ... Because Sony or Nintendo NEVER cancel games or close studios.
Hahaha pointing fingers at others because you can't defend your argument is really sad.

The fact is that the current Microsoft's track record of creative freedom is in the negative. They have no proof to believe in their words of "creative freedom".

Oh yeah, remember that game "Project Spark" which was supposed to be the platform of user "creative freedom"? Cancelled.

12Dannu123

We'll see. Personally I think Playstation is in way too strong a position to be easily challenged due to their overwhelming marketshare advantage. They just need continuity in order to remain on top.

I think its good that MS are finally addressing their anaemic first-party situation, but the reality is that no matter who they buy their output is still bound by the same economic and labour requirements as everyone else. i.e. 3+ year dev cycles from mostly single project studios. Meaning that in the end its just going to represent an extra exclusive or two per year, so its hardly going to be the end of the world for the competition!

People said that with Blockbuster and look what happened to them? Bankrupt, same thing could happen with Sony or Valve if things towards GaaS and Cloud Streaming, especially when we will see MS, Amazon and Google using their treasure chest to buy up studios and publishers to enhance their services.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The rumors are all over the ol' interwebs. Some potential truths, some not. It's all just speculation until announced.

To further speculate: aside from Obsidian, here are the other potential studios mentioned (again, rumor until announced) :
  • Moon Studios (Ori)
  • Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
  • Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct)
I expect Obsidian to be confirmed at XO2018 along with at least one other studio.

This needs to happen. The amount of GOOD talent in that studio is too much to pass up.

WaterAstro

People said that with Blockbuster and look what happened to them? Bankrupt, same thing could happen with Sony or Valve if things towards GaaS and Cloud Streaming, especially when we will see MS, Amazon and Google using their treasure chest to buy up studios and publishers to enhance their services.
The comparison to Blockbuster is ridiculous. Games, home electronics, music, movies would literally have to disappear for Sony to be like Blockbuster.

12Dannu123

The comparison to Blockbuster is ridiculous. Games, home electronics, music, movies would literally have to disappear for Sony to be like Blockbuster.
The comparison is a fine comparison, it was people thinking that Blockbuster will never disappear because of Netflix, and look what happened, Blockbuster become irrelevant, Valve and Sony could face that in the future especially when things move in house and into the Cloud, a industry that they are very foreign in.

YayNJ

Banned
Reading through old posts in this thread, why is it that when Sony studios create exclusives for PS only, it's amazing for gaming, brilliant and ground breaking, yet if Microsoft do or attempt to do the same it's all exclusives are bad for gaming, not sure I want this games only on Xbox and general gaming is doomed comments?

I've never really noticed a massive SonyGaf bias, but I'm starting to believe it really is a thing.

Pallas

You act like Microsoft is the only major publisher to shut down studios before. Sony has its own proverbial graveyard. Also a little tidbit about Phantom Dust, the remake was put on hold/hiatus, however they did take the original and updated it graphically and made it available on XBL as F2P(You seemingly forget to add that bit in it) and Scalebound? We still beating that dead horse? lol

It’s also kind of insulting to fling “Nice PR video, but it’s meaningless” comments around about Ninja Theory upon joining Microsoft for security and creative freedom. They did what they had to do to survive obviously, no one should call that meaningless.

Would you be saying the same if Sony had acquired them instead?

Foxbat

Banned

Not really. If games alone disappeared Sony as a whole would likely be in the red, and potentially headed towards bankruptcy.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You act like Microsoft is the only major publisher to shut down studios before. Sony has its own proverbial graveyard. Also a little tidbit about Phantom Dust, the remake was put on hold/hiatus, however they did take the original and updated it graphically and made it available on XBL as F2P(You seemingly forget to add that bit in it) and Scalebound? We still beating that dead horse? lol

It’s also kind of insulting to fling “Nice PR video, but it’s meaningless” comments around about Ninja Theory upon joining Microsoft for security and creative freedom. They did what they had to do to survive obviously, no one should call that meaningless.

[bWould you be saying the same if Sony had acquired them instead?[/b]
Of course he wouldn't. He's one of the biggest console warriors on here.

Mokus

Reading through old posts in this thread, why is it that when Sony studios create exclusives for PS only, it's amazing for gaming, brilliant and ground breaking, yet if Microsoft do or attempt to do the same it's all exclusives are bad for gaming, not sure I want this games only on Xbox and general gaming is doomed comments?

I've never really noticed a massive SonyGaf bias, but I'm starting to believe it really is a thing.
Really stupid conclusion you have there, when obviously many people are arguing here with PC gaming in mind.

Gavon West

Hahaha pointing fingers at others because you can't defend your argument is really sad.

The fact is that the current Microsoft's track record of creative freedom is in the negative. They have no proof to believe in their words of "creative freedom".

Oh yeah, remember that game "Project Spark" which was supposed to be the platform of user "creative freedom"? Cancelled.

For fuck sakes! You can't be serious.

Wait....nope! Not doing this. Whatever you say. You win.

Last edited:

Hudo

They still have it. They licensed it out like they did with Shadowrun. Why they didn't ask for a console port of the Shadowrun games as a part of the licensing agreement I have no idea.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the info! I was rather confused by what happened to the license. Well... I wouldn't mind a new MechAssault game!

Mattyp

Gold Member
Well, Microsoft had something like $120 Billion (U.S.) that they were repatriating, and they've only used but a quarter of it on acquisitions. Hell, Microsoft could go through and pick up Tecmo, Capcom, and Sega, make a huge splash, and still have plenty of those funds for other projects.

This is the interesting thing, this is a company with enough cash reserves sitting being wasted to buyout Sony (Not that it would ever happen or am I implying that..). With Phil at the table I'm sure he's been thrown a budget of what he can spend after the results of turning around Xbox since the start of this generation. It would be interesting to know how much he has been given to spend now, didn't Trump announce reforms to get companies to spend this money sitting off shore and bring it back to the states? So only makes sense to spend up at the present in assets and grow the companies net worth. Every acquisition to this point hasn't been a throw cash to nab a studio either they've all been solid purchases and Obsidian would be another great one.

To have a Netflix future in gaming you need a huge mass of developers, you see how often Netflix pumps out a new show now. It boggles my mind to know how many successful developers you would need in house to push gamepass as the future and gain subscripers at the rate Netflix does.

People saying Sony can flip a switch tomorrow and offer what Microsoft offers overnight in streaming is bizarre, it's taken years and years and billions upon billions in investment to get the Azure network they have right now. Bring on XO18 I guess.

Zewp

Microsoft has a history of stealing games from pc gamers to push their consoles. You may don't like facts but you can't change history.

This would be the same Microsoft that has recently been making a massive push to destroy the idea of consoles as walled gardens and to make PC and console gaming interchangeable?

Get outta here. Sony's threads are thattaway.

WaterAstro

Would you be saying the same if Sony had acquired them instead?
Indefinite hold is cancelled lol. That Phantom Dust remaster doesn't excuse Microsoft cancelling the remake and causing another studio closure.

Sony gave Ninja Theory creative freedom, and they put Sony millions into the negative lol. Why the hell would Sony acquire them? Microsoft bought them up because they were dying and cheap.
Not really. If games alone disappeared Sony as a whole would likely be in the red, and potentially headed towards bankruptcy.
Nope. Hirai turned Sony around and they are making profits in all sectors, except maybe movies. Their electronic, phone, and music businesses are doing well. For example, their own phones aren't big sellers, but every iPhone has a Sony imaging technology for the camera, so they are very profitable.

Pallas

Indefinite hold is cancelled lol. That Phantom Dust remaster doesn't excuse Microsoft cancelling the remake and causing another studio closure.

Sony gave Ninja Theory creative freedom, and they put Sony millions into the negative lol. Why the hell would Sony acquire them? Microsoft bought them up because they were dying and cheap.

Nope. Hirai turned Sony around and they are making profits in all sectors, except maybe movies. Their electronic, phone, and music businesses are doing well. For example, their own phones aren't big sellers, but every iPhone has a Sony imaging technology for the camera, so they are very profitable.

So we are suppose to ignore the studios Sony has closed?

WaterAstro

So we are suppose to ignore the studios Sony has closed?
Are we even talking about Sony? I thought the discussion was about how "Microsoft gives creative freedom" when they haven't.

The method of arguing "well, that company did it too!" is a distraction. Yes, Sony has closed studios, and Sony may not be giving complete creative freedom, even though it seems like it, but we're talking about whether Microsoft does that because Aaron Greenberg said they are, and they certainly haven't been doing so. The idea of Microsoft buying 5 studios and saying they are giving them freedom after cancelling games and closing studios makes it hard to believe them.
Honestly, that's the best case scenario.
They closed down FASA long ago after making them do that FPS game that no Shadowrun fan wanted.

Unless they hire back those FASA people that get it, they're not going to make a good Shadowrun game, especially when CDPR is just going to do their job for them.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
And yes, I realize you're joking, but Too Human was a good idea given to a bad developer and needlessly stomped to death (the IP, not Silicon Knights) in the court of public opinion on its failed execution.

Errr... i was not joking.

Give them the Too Human license.

That game had a wonderful world and it is a waste to let it rot.

That was most probably the only saving grace of that mess.

dirthead

Banned
I'm not sure I like this.

Best case scenario MS allows them to continue doing their recen style of games, except now I'd have to buy them from the Windows Store instead of GOG or Steam, which sucks
Or they give them big budget and they are forced into making some online focused , "living" game as a service thing as most other big budget MS games.

I only own one UWP , Gears 4, but my experience with it has been terrible.
I had to try and download it 3 times until it actually worked because for whatever reason I would turn on my laptop and all the 80gb it had already download were just gone and the store had no recollection of ever having downloaded the game (back then I had a pretty slow connection too so it took time to download each time).
Then before I could even play it went into all the "Xbox account" BS (because my microsoft account isn't enough?) which would get stuck so I couldn't even get it done until a few days later when it just stopped doing that.

And then there's stuff which I don't know if they are UWP or just Microsoft related but Gears 4, for example, is the only PC game I own that doesn't just have a basic resolution selector. It's some weird scaling thing that just doesn't work for me (Laptop has a 4K screen but not the hardware to run Gears in 4K 60FPS, but I can't seem to be able to set resolution to 1080P, only I have found to force it is connecting the laptop over HDMI to a 1080p screen)

And games are pretty expensive and don't go on sale nearly as frequently as on every other PC storefront

Microsoft would have to do like 10 years worth of awesome PC stuff before I'd even begin to trust them. Their relationship with gaming has been straight up toxic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The comparison is a fine comparison, it was people thinking that Blockbuster will never disappear because of Netflix, and look what happened, Blockbuster become irrelevant, Valve and Sony could face that in the future especially when things move in house and into the Cloud, a industry that they are very foreign in.

No its a very silly comparison. Blockbuster did not disappear just "because of Netflix", its problems began years before that. The Cloud is just a distribution mechanism, not a means of production, migrating to it in whole or in part is in reach of any big enough player in the business who has the money to pay for the server space. Its not like Sony haven't been offering streamed games and video for years already at this point for example.

Also the reality is that the patterns of mass-market consumption for games and video are not the same thing at all. The economics are very different too due to the differences in number and type of alternative revenue streams for movies/tv, and the overall shelf-life of the product.

Foxbat

Banned

Sony has failed to prove they can sustain profits in any division other than Playstation over the last several years. So nope. If Sony lost Playstation, they'd be in trouble.

Pallas

Are we even talking about Sony? I thought the discussion was about how "Microsoft gives creative freedom" when they haven't.

Considering your post history and often times championing Sony, it’s pretty unavoidable not to mention them when you enter a Microsoft thread to just shit on it. So yeah, I’m going to mention Sony every time you come in a Microsoft thread to fling shit.

CeeJay

Sony has failed to prove they can sustain profits in any division other than Playstation over the last several years. So nope. If Sony lost Playstation, they'd be in trouble.

Not just that but the PlayStation divisions profits are going to be diluted across the company. PlayStation has done really well for Sony but how much of that profit has gone back into the gaming business? I see Microsoft, Google and Amazon all investing heavily in their gaming businesses and moving towards a space that no one has really gone for yet in a big way, the streaming service space. Sony could be left on an old business model while the rest of the market moves somewhere else if they are not careful. The comparison with Blockbuster is very much valid.

nani17

are in a big trouble

That's my point this gen they can't compete so they're buying up for next gen.

Shmunter

Not just that but the PlayStation divisions profits are going to be diluted across the company. PlayStation has done really well for Sony but how much of that profit has gone back into the gaming business? I see Microsoft, Google and Amazon all investing heavily in their gaming businesses and moving towards a space that no one has really gone for yet in a big way, the streaming service space. Sony could be left on an old business model while the rest of the market moves somewhere else if they are not careful. The comparison with Blockbuster is very much valid.

One things for sure, PS5 and the proverbial next gen is safe as houses. After that, things may take a turn. Fans of Sony franchises have a bright future for the time being.

Microsoft is unproven at this point in time. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst as the saying goes.

Hudo

Well, XO18 will certainly be interesting...

Maybe an idiotic question: What happens to the Pillars of Eternity IP? It belongs to Obsidian, right? Or was it outsourced to some "holding" company founded by Fargo et al and then "licensed out" to Obsidian? If the latter, I wonder if Fargo will license it out to other companies?

You went from discouraging everyone not to buy Sea of Thieves (to the point of going into every thread about it) to complete silence when they do offer great games like Forza Horiozn 4. Here you are mocking them for closing studios/games at a time where there is new direction and positive atmoshpere within the company and finally full backing of the CEO. So tell me, what merit do you have at all when it comes to Microsoft/Xbox? Ninja Theory is excited yet you can't be for them?

Last edited:

Hayfield

Banned
Considering your post history and often times championing Sony, it’s pretty unavoidable not to mention them when you enter a Microsoft thread to just shit on it. So yeah, I’m going to mention Sony every time you come in a Microsoft thread to fling shit.

Whataboutism is such a weasel's tactic, not surprised it's a communist tactic.

To get more on topic, the issue I feel most have is there is a distinct lack of proof that Microsoft acquiring a studio is a good thing. As for the creative freedom they are giving lip service to there is even less evidence that Microsoft will provide those freedoms. I think it's a case of whether you judge a company based on their actions (those worried what this acquisition would mean for Obsidian) or whether you judge them on their PR.

Whataboutism is such a weasel's tactic, not surprised it's a communist tactic.

To get more on topic, the issue I feel most have is there is a distinct lack of proof that Microsoft acquiring a studio is a good thing. As for the creative freedom they are giving lip service to there is even less evidence that Microsoft will provide those freedoms. I think it's a case of whether you judge a company based on their actions (those worried what this acquisition would mean for Obsidian) or whether you judge them on their PR.

You cannot keep crying foul without an end. The biggest complaint is lack of exclusives, they are trying to address that but at every turn you see the same people moving the goalposts to act like this is what it takes for them to buy one. Price was too high and Kinect was a waste. They fixed that. Power was worse than the PS4, they fixed that. I don't need an Xbox, I have a PC, yet they continue to buy PC titles like Fallout on the PS4 and don't buy Windows games. They don't have enough studios, they build and acquire others. Now it's a salty atmosphere, we now don't like how we can't buy them on other platforms. It's like whatever they do it's never the right answer.

There comes a time when some simply need to move on if they are that disinterested. Am I going to keep following Taylor Swift if I don't like her music? There are those who are optimistic because they truly want want to do better and then there are concern trolls who pretend they think they know what's best for them and want everyone on the forums to hear about it but really don't care at the end of the day because they have no plans to buy the next Xbox. That's the difference, which side are you on? So don't try and sell me what a weasel tactic is, I am fully aware of who the weasels are.

Last edited:

Hayfield

Banned
You cannot keep crying foul without an end. There comes a time when some simply need to move on if they are that dis-interested. Am I going to keep following Taylor Swift if I don't like her music. There are those who are optimistic because they want to do better and then there are concern trolls who pretend they think they know what's best for them and want everyone on the forums to hear about it but really don't care at the end of the day because they have no plans to buy the next Xbox. That's the difference, so which side are you on?

Well this topic is about Obsidian as much as Xbox so of course people who are primarily pc gamers (for example) or Obsidian fans are gonna discuss this.

Your sides are ridiculous, so I either have to blindly cheer on Microsoft or I'm just "concern trolling"? As if the only people who would dare say something negative about Xbox are trolling? Maybe I'm worried what will happen to the Pillars games after this? But no to you you're either on the Xbox side or you're a xbox hater Sony loving fanboy.

If Xbox do make good on the creative freedom promises and we start seeing a steady stream of quality games you fucking bet I'll get the next Xbox, I'm a gamer I go where the games I want to play are.

Top Bottom