• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good. Now I can go back to looking forward to being able to judge the system based on its exclusive content instead of boycotting it if it was always online.

Alx

Came to say what has already been said:
I find highly disturbing that Microsoft has to explain this kind of information to their own employees working on the Xbox.

Among the many rumors we had, some claimed that MS had very tight NDAs, even within its own teams, so that some employees couldn't even tell their supervisors what they were working on. I suppose few people got the whole picture, so everybody else may not know or understand everything about it.

Goldmund

The wording makes the e-mail seem fishy, but then again, I've received and written so many e-mails that would have caused speculations about the validity of the content if taken out of context that it's almost impossible to really argue for an outright repudiation of it.

It sounds like they got this info from their "sources". Just like all the other sites got their infos from "sources". I just wait for the freaking announcement before I believe anything now.

marrec

Banned
All of those rumors didn't materialize out of thin air and I highly doubt Edge was talking out of their ass.

Rumors routinely materialize out of thin air, hence why they're called rumors and not verified facts.

It's okay though man, there will be enough other reasons to hate Microsoft, you don't have a make a fool out of yourself in this thread.

RibMan

So wait... Microsoft sends an internal e-mail to...People working on the new Xbox...

To tell them that it works without a connection...

Shouldn't they know this if they've been working on the damn thing?

What the heck is this?

It could be a controlled leak. It certainly reads like a message intended for the public.

Blu-ray functionality = excellent news.

A vague e-mail. I will not believe this until Microsoft explicitly states that it is false. The same goes with anti-used games. They've been so tight lipped and then this magically slips out.

Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game.

Now tell me again, which part is the vague one?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm glad if this is true, but it's also hilarious that they're pretending this is supposed to be some confidential internal memo that got leaked. Like the people working on Durango aren't aware of its online requirements a month before its debut. And the way they listed the features? So artificial. I don't know what they meant by "watching live TV" though. Unless Microsoft is becoming a cable provider, doesn't their TV content have to come through the internet? Unless they were actually considering having Durango block your TV's access to its cable box...
The rumored specs listed an HDMI in connection which people assumed would let the console take over your cable box.

Salaadin

I dont know why Paul Thurott RTing this means anything as he was one of the guys saying that online was required. Unless this is him admitting he was wrong.

Dunlop

Surely the BDA do? Sony doesn't get it all for themselves. And even if they did, they could do with some handouts from Microsoft.

Sony lost every profit that the playstation 1 and 2 ever gave them to push the BluRay format on the PS3. With DD becoming more prominent, I wonder if it was worth it

Rumors routinely materialize out of thin air, hence why they're called rumors and not verified facts.

It's okay though man, there will be enough other reasons to hate Microsoft, you don't have a make a fool out of yourself in this thread.

Edge doesn't usually screw around with their rumors, similar to Ars.

All of those rumors didn't materialize out of thin air and I highly doubt Edge was talking out of their ass.

Edge was reporting rumors and those have a habit of not being 100% accurate. As a development kit requirement, it makes tons of sense. It never made sense for the consumer when the first serious bits of rumors painted a three minute shutdown scenario. That is when the shit hit the fan. Before that, 'always online' always meant constant feed, like the way PSN/XBL/Wiiconnect are.

It could be a controlled leak. It certainly reads like a message intended for the public.

This is what I'm thinking. They can't publicly respond to rumours about a product that hasn't been announced, so they announce it internally knowing full well that it'll "leak". They should have done it months ago though.

As for where the rumours originated, I assume Microsoft referred to the console as "always online" and some people caught wind and without clarification assumed that meant it has to be always online in every circumstance, and not that it will be always online if possible with features designed to take advantage of that.

Top Bottom