• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft President Brad Smith: Not only will COD will continue to be on Playstation, we'd like to bring it to Nintendo devices

Mr Moose

So extend the contract to you means MS will continue to offer exclusive modes and features on the PlayStation even after the acquisition? That would be the first time I've seen a platform hold make games on other systems better than what's on their own. MS updated Minecraft Dungeons for Xbox but didn't seem to make a PlayStation 5 version of the game. So even that isn't the same.

As long as MS provides a version of CoD on PlayStation albeit streaming or something like Warzone the sprit of what they told regulators is being upheld. They're under no obligation to provide brand new native PS5 versions of any new CoD after the acquisition is complete. PS4 would work perfectly and would be much easier to port to Switch as well.
That's what it sounds like, yeah. You'd have to ask Brad Smith for more info on it. The mode that was included in Cold War was shit though, not sure about Vanguard, I didn't buy that one.
As long as everyone gets the maps at the same time everything is fine, imo.
They wouldn't extend a contract for Warzone, the contract is for Call of Duty games. They've said it more than once now, Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation and they don't mean "we'll let you keep having Warzone on your console".

That's what it sounds like, yeah. You'd have to ask Brad Smith for more info on it. The mode that was included in Cold War was shit though, not sure about Vanguard, I didn't buy that one.
As long as everyone gets the maps at the same time everything is fine, imo.
They wouldn't extend a contract for Warzone, the contract is for Call of Duty games. They've said it more than once now, Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation and they don't mean "we'll let you keep having Warzone on your console".
I'll believe it when I see it. I always thought Warzone WAS a CoD game. If MS is planning on making a Switch CoD game I don't see how that title couldn't be on PlayStation as well.

We already got the nostalgia stoking remakes we wanted. Nobody really cared much to get new ones - which is why the remakes and CTR outsold Crash 4
Not true many people care but instead them Dev got put on to COD as a support studio but they will finally be free to make what they want after the deal is finalize

I'll make this really simple for you

You're a regulator who's concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox, and MS responds to you with this
Q8gGoXz.jpg

What conclusion do you take?
Nothing. It’s just a pr statement that they don’t have to abide too. You seriously think an auditor is going to say, “well, we were thinking of blocking the acquisition but since Microsoft promised us then no biggie” lmaooooo.
That would be a one fucking stupid audit looool.

So extend the contract to you means MS will continue to offer exclusive modes and features on the PlayStation even after the acquisition? That would be the first time I've seen a platform hold make games on other systems better than what's on their own. MS updated Minecraft Dungeons for Xbox but didn't seem to make a PlayStation 5 version of the game. So even that isn't the same.

As long as MS provides a version of CoD on PlayStation albeit streaming or something like Warzone the sprit of what they told regulators is being upheld. They're under no obligation to provide brand new native PS5 versions of any new CoD after the acquisition is complete. PS4 would work perfectly and would be much easier to port to Switch as well.
That’s not how it works. It doesn’t matter what they promise. They can go and promise they will release new games for Sony exclusively and it wouldn’t matter. An audit doesn’t take into account good will or promises, what they take into account is how this is going to impact the different markets.

If Microsoft signs a contract today that obliges them to release games in other platforms then yes, that would certainly matter in the audit but to actually think that Microsoft doing some pr statements could be a reason to block or not block the acquisition is beyond ignorance.

Cyberpunkd

I'll make this really simple for you

You're a regulator who's concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox, and MS responds to you with this
Q8gGoXz.jpg

What conclusion do you take?
Once again, since this is really difficult for people to understand - a regulator doesn’t give a fuck Timmy owning a PS5 cannot play the new CoD. There are millions of other games, many rivalling CoD in sales. Even if they didn’t it’s a VIDEOGAME, not a network infrastructure, chip manufacturing plant, etc. There are no barriers to entry for someone to decide to make a rival game, unlike fab fabrication plants.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not at all.
Seriously, what do you expect?

That as soon as the guy in the regulator's office signs the acquisition documents and approves it, Microsoft executives In front of him starts laughing at him and shouting "Psyche! You fell for it, suckaaaa!" and leave the office dancing and cheering that they fooled the regulators and now they don't have to fulfill their promise because the papers are signed?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Wow you are really good at posting witty pics.
Impressive counter. Even more impressive is your ignorance, if you think you know the inner workings of these contracts, keyboard warrior. You'll be ok though, there will be other games for the one game machine you own.

Last edited:
Once again, since this is really difficult for people to understand - a regulator doesn’t give a fuck Timmy owning a PS5 cannot play the new CoD. There are millions of other games, many rivalling CoD in sales. Even if they didn’t it’s a VIDEOGAME, not a network infrastructure, chip manufacturing plant, etc. There are no barriers to entry for someone to decide to make a rival game, unlike fab fabrication plants.

Nothing. It’s just a pr statement that they don’t have to abide too. You seriously think an auditor is going to say, “well, we were thinking of blocking the acquisition but since Microsoft promised us then no biggie” lmaooooo.
That would be a one fucking stupid audit looool.

Regulator gives a fuck if MS is trying to play coy with their wording. Not difficult to understand

Just watch the video from someone who knows what he's talking about and stop responding with nonsense

Last edited:

Vognerful

Vanguard was available for two months in 2021 and only managed to sell ~9 million units at best with a console base of 180 million during that period. That's 5% attach rate in 2 months. Miles Morales for PS5 was closer to 20% attach rate within ~1 month.

I work in finance; I don't say this to suggest my predictions are infallible, but for people to understand that my predictions are based on hard stats and not "fanboyism", like this genius below has accused me of:

If people here took the time to look at Activision financial reports and had the capacity to correctly interpret them, there would have never been so many questions of whether CoD was going multi platform, nor would my current predictions seem far fetched to them.
Miles morales is also available on PS4!

but that doesn't matter because we know that most purchases for games that are cross gen has moved on to current gen consoles and PC.

Attachment rate actually reduces from beginning of generation towards down the line. PS5 attachment rate for MM was probably 90% in first 2 months. it was I think 65% in last July,, and will continue to drop with more sold consoles. This also means that you will be having a hard time to find a game with closer attachment rate in next few years.

Vanguard was considered the worst entry of the last three CoD titles, and it still made 9 million copies in 2 months! I am not sure why are you downplaying it but Sony or microsoft would kill to have such a "bad" game.

A more interesting case is 2022. We know that HFW, GT7 and probably GoW are releasing this year. what are the chances that one of them actually beat MW2 if it came out this year?

Last edited:

DJ12

And we have no idea what said contract is, it could be a multiyear contract for Warzone. And I bet MS would love to leave that on PS4/5. You are clueless. Your clever video posting is is more about you than me.
Do Sony have a contract that can be "extended" for Warzone.

You seem to know about the ins and outs of every contract Sony has.

Most of us believe the only contract in existence if the one they have for marketing rights, and DLC first for the mainline CoDs.

Please share your insider knowledge of these contracts you must've have learned about from the emails Bobby and Jimbo sent to you for proofing.

DarthPutin

Again, "we had committed to Sony". In their own words. Do you think Sony leadership doesn't know what they committed to them, failed to ask further question to clarify, or doesn't know how acquisitions work?

If those commitments didn't match with MS' public statement to FTC, I'm sure they'd let it be known somehow.

Or is an idea that MS lied to their faces when they didn't have to say anything? is this how people think high-level negotiations work?

VAVA Mk2

Couldn't be any clearer than this. This is not Phil here. This is the MS president himself.

Not only are COD games staying on Playstation but they're coming to Switch as well.

It's obvious they just want to make as much money as possible.

Did they say in what format they could still play on Playstation and Switch? What if they have a deal to get GamePass on Playstation and they are working on Switch? Just speculation.

Did they say in what format they could still play on Playstation and Switch? What if they have a deal to get GamePass on Playstation and they are working on Switch? Just speculation.

Maybe. That's what I assumed Phil meant by "desire" with his tweet. The issue with that would be their commitment made no mention of gamepass. It wouldn't look good for them if they ended up pulling COD and the reason was because gamepass negotiations fell apart

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We literally know nothing about what format, what frequency and delivery format etc the CoD games may or may not appear on PS and Nintendo platforms after 2023~.

Everything is speculation and hearsay at the moment.

Lmao, dvdvideo still holding onto hope! If Microsoft themselves making It clear and you still don't believe it than nothing can change a mind so delusional. Even when CoD is still releasing on ps beyond 2023 he will still be making excuses. Unbelievable. Maybe Microsoft will eventually pull cod off ps platforms some day. Happy now?

VAVA Mk2

Maybe. That's what I assumed Phil meant by "desire" with his tweet. The issue with that would be their commitment made no mention of gamepass. It wouldn't look good for them if they ended up pulling COD and the reason was because gamepass negotiations fell apart
True but anything is possible by how things have been worded.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
In reality, this will all come down to open store policies and revenue splits. This deal will have an industry wide impact. COD is a red herring.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Do Sony have a contract that can be "extended" for Warzone.

You seem to know about the ins and outs of every contract Sony has.

Most of us believe the only contract in existence if the one they have for marketing rights, and DLC first for the mainline CoDs.

Please share your insider knowledge of these contracts you must've have learned about from the emails Bobby and Jimbo sent to you for proofing.

Your point is actually perfect for what I'm saying, nobody actually knows what the contracts are, therefore assuming the comments made mean AAA Cod on Sony hardware as a result of them makes no sense.

Swift_Star

Banned
Can’t really understand why is it so hard for people to grasp that MS is going platform agnostic. This is the only part of the company that isn’t platform agnostic, every single MS product is, what makes Xbox special? Nothing at all. I’m pretty sure a gamepass version for PS is coming and that version will contain MS Studio games only.

DJ12

Your point is actually perfect for what I'm saying, nobody actually knows what the contracts are, therefore assuming the comments made mean AAA Cod on Sony hardware as a result of them makes no sense.
Keep the copes coming.

We do know what contract Sony have with Activision, it's well documented.

Ms want to extend this contract.

A strong CoD is strong Microsoft gaming. Your just struggling with what this means for your beloved bit of plastic. Take xbox out the equation, this is just good business sense from Microsoft.

MistBreeze

I dont know why some people are sad activision games will continue to release in PlayStation ?

Actually Im realy happy about that and happy that bungie games will release on xbox

I hope going forward any publisher or multiplat studio the buy stay multi console and pc

I realy feel that both sony and Microsoft heads understands that these AAA games with how much they cost now they must be in every console and pc to generate more money

Some people can not buy 2 consoles or pc
This is great for gamers and gaming communities

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Keep the copes coming.

We do know what contract Sony have with Activision, it's well documented.

Ms want to extend this contract.

A strong CoD is strong Microsoft gaming. Your just struggling with what this means for your beloved bit of plastic. Take xbox out the equation, this is just good business sense from Microsoft.

Please post contract details. Oh wait......

I dont care about the plastic,I can play it regardless.

Take xbox out of the equation? You've lost all sense here. The single biggest reason they bought Activision was for xbox and to continue to expand gamepass. In order to expand gamepass long term, they will need to sell more xboxes. Guess how that's done?
You guessed it, exclusives! It's only been.the the most key console strategy for 40 years, but I guess it eludes you.

Also, let's say you are right, and maintaining Cod as is is the "smart" move. Why not do the same with Bethesda then?

THE DUCK

I dont know why some people are sad activision games will continue to release in PlayStation ?

Actually Im realy happy about that and happy that bungie games will release on xbox

I hope going forward any publisher or multiplat studio the buy stay multi console and pc

I realy feel that both sony and Microsoft heads understands that these AAA games with how much they cost now they must be in every console and pc to generate more money

Some people can not buy 2 consoles or pc
This is great for gamers and gaming communities

I actually have zero issue with it being available on both on personal level, but I'm sorry there is very little chance ms spent 70 billion on them to just leave everything as is.

DJ12

Please post contract details. Oh wait......

I dont care about the plastic,I can play it regardless.

Take xbox out of the equation? You've lost all sense here. The single biggest reason they bought Activision was for xbox and to continue to expand gamepass. In order to expand gamepass long term, they will need to sell more xboxes. Guess how that's done?
You guessed it, exclusives! It's only been.the the most key console strategy for 40 years, but I guess it eludes you.

Also, let's say you are right, and maintaining Cod as is is the "smart" move. Why not do the same with Bethesda then?
You are deluded.

laynelane

I actually have zero issue with it being available on both on personal level, but I'm sorry there is very little chance ms spent 70 billion on them to just leave everything as is.

It won't be as-is, financially speaking. You know how AB has had record profits over the years? All that money will go straight to MS now. It also increases their clout in the industry.

Marvel14

Banned

Couldn't be any clearer than this. This is not Phil here. This is the MS president himself.

Not only are COD games staying on Playstation but they're coming to Switch as well.

It's obvious they just want to make as much money as possible.

More than that. It looks like their strategy is integration. They want to to break the walls between console offerings and run an integrated cloud network to be masters of content. It's a smart strategy when you're lagging in providing exclusive content.

THE DUCK

It won't be as-is, financially speaking. You know how AB has had record profits over the years? All that money will go straight to MS now. It also increases their clout in the industry.

I suppose that's possible, they do like money. But they also like being masters of thier own pool, which is why you don't see ms games like halo on playstation and ps5. It would be short term pain for long term gain (less revenue sharing with sony)
If exclusives truly drive console and gamepass sales (and everyone on this forum says over and over that they do) then this would be one more weapon to achieve that.

laynelane

I suppose that's possible, they do like money. But they also like being masters of thier own pool, which is why you don't see ms games like halo on playstation and ps5. It would be short term pain for long term gain (less revenue sharing with sony)
If exclusives truly drive console and gamepass sales (and everyone on this forum says over and over that they do) then this would be one more weapon to achieve that.

I see your point. I honestly don't know what to expect anymore. Sony buys Bungie and Destiny stays multi-platform. MS buy AB and seems to be saying the same for CoD. I'm in agreement with you that exclusives sell consoles and GamePass subs, but it's like these companies are looking at things differently now. The traditional models are being changed right in front our our eyes.

THE DUCK

I see your point. I honestly don't know what to expect anymore. Sony buys Bungie and Destiny stays multi-platform. MS buy AB and seems to be saying the same for CoD. I'm in agreement with you that exclusives sell consoles and GamePass subs, but it's like these companies are looking at things differently now. The traditional models are being changed right in front our our eyes.

Agreed, its wierd. I'm sure it's a dilemma for Sony too, especially with pc. If they support it a lot further, they get a lot more sales of software at a minimal cost. It's probably very, very tempting, especially if bonus structure is based on sales increases.

However they run the risk of losing console sales and customers may also buyer more software from the competition. For example, a person build a pc instead of buying a ps5.
They can now buy xbox games instead of just ps5 games. Also no cut of any third party software or add on sales for Sony.

Controlling your own sandbox has a lot of value, the question is what is the breaking point.

In a round about way brings me back to Activision and other ms studios, I think long term they want this - a closed system where the gamer only pays them. Gamepass or xbox, or xbox with gamepass together. It's also possible they have taken a small step back from this though due to the hardware shortages.

But let's say 2027 rolls around, shortages are over Xbox Series XX is easy to build, highly available in the millions. Priced at $299, ms is willing to lose a bit to move units. Exclusive place for COD, Halo, GOW, Doom, Starfield, Elderscrolls, Forza, etc.
Ms buys 2 more medium sized studios, and those are exclusive too. Gamepass still around, and it's catalog is massive. This would be dangerous and popular.

Last edited:

laynelane

Agreed, its wierd. I'm sure it's a dilemma for Sony too, especially with pc. If they support it a lot further, they get a lot more sales of software at a minimal cost. It's probably very, very tempting, especially if bonus structure is based on sales increases.

However they run the risk of losing console sales and customers may also buyer more software from the competition. For example, a person build a pc instead of buying a ps5.
They can now buy xbox games instead of just ps5 games. Also no cut of any third party software or add on sales for Sony.

Controlling your own sandbox has a lot of value, the question is what is the breaking point.

In a round about way brings me back to Activision and other ms studios, I think long term they want this - a closed system where the gamer only pays them. Gamepass or xbox, or xbox with gamepass together. It's also possible they have taken a small step back from this though due to the hardware shortages.

But let's say 2027 rolls around, shortages are over Xbox Series XX is easy to build, highly available in the millions. Priced at $299, ms is willing to lose a bit to move units. Exclusive place for COD, Halo, GOW, Doom, Starfield, Elderscrolls, Forza, etc.
Ms buys 2 more medium sized studios, and those are exclusive too. Gamepass still around, and it's catalog is massive. This would be dangerous and popular.

That would make sense in order to grow their own brand. Whether they're headed there or not is hard to say, though. Perhaps the finalization of the AB deal will give us more to work with in terms of what this all will look like in the future. I really wasn't expecting any kind of commitment to keeping CoD on PS, for example, but that appears to have been mistaken. Still not sure what to make of it, really, and I'm thinking waiting until the terms are finalized, with FTC oversight, will be necessary to understand fully. It's gonna be a long wait :goog_expressionless:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom