• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q2 2021 Destroys Sales and Profits (Xbox +40%)

In Italy both models are unavailable and i'm surprised, it's pretty much Sonyland here since PS2.
Not surprised about Germany, they love to play simulators on PC, they never cared about Xbox.

MediaMarkt is available in 14 countries. Besides Germany, as i can see, XSS is available in Portugal, Turkey, Spain, Poland, Sweden, Austria

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Gold price hike makes sense now..... those Gamepass subs are slowing a lot, all logic would tell you that they should have been higher than the previous 5 months due to the holidays and the pandemic conditions but they actually fell almost by a half.
If they are already running out of momentum, then the game is over before it began.

Other financials seem in line with what you'd expect with a hardware launch.... revenue up quite a lot but profits not discussed, cause there's none worth talking about.

yurinka

What are the growth numbers for Nintendo and Sony on the services front this year compared to last?

Do finally MS mentioned the amount of Game Pass subscribers who are paying the full subscription instead of having it for $1 or with a free 3 months period? Or did they mention the revenue generated by Game Pass subscriptions?

Because as of now we can't compare anything. If you only compare (mostly non paying) users, PSN has a ton more.

Last edited:
If they are already running out of momentum, then the game is over before it began.
Joe Biden Lol GIF

Bryank75

Banned
Oh.... and what the fuck does best launch month for Xbox mean?

Does that mean they sold more Series X/S than Xbox one did in the launch month? Or does it mean they revenue is higher than it was at any previous launch?

I mean, it's just word-soup.

A healthy MS is a good thing.

More competition between all the big players means we win as gamers. These guys will fight tooth and nail for your hard earned dollars. I'll be in one corner cheering them on and reaping the rewards.

Aww, look at that. PS and Xbox in a loving embrace. Staring deep into each others eyes. Very romantic
tenor.gif

bxrz

Gold price hike makes sense now..... those Gamepass subs are slowing a lot, all logic would tell you that they should have been higher than the previous 5 months due to the holidays and the pandemic conditions but they actually fell almost by a half.

Other financials seem in line with what you'd expect with a hardware launch.... revenue up quite a lot but profits not discussed, cause there's none worth talking about.
How are they slowing down if they grew while releasing no exclusive game during that time period? If Halo released and we seen these numbers, I'd agree with you. But it didn't. They didn't release anything but new consoles. And those have supply issues

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
How are they slowing down if they grew while releasing no exclusive game during that time period? If Halo released and we seen these numbers, I'd agree with you. But it didn't. They didn't release anything but new consoles. And those have supply issues
It was the holiday period, during covid.

The previous 5 months saw 5 million subs, so nearly halving during high-season is not a good sign.

I mean, you can ignore me and my feelings on it... it's just my opinion.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Of course revenue is going to be up, they launched two consoles during the quarter! All of gaming is up that goes for every gaming company, a 40 percent jump isnt impressive.
Microsoft should send the scalpers a free Series X for all their hard work.

driqe

It was the holiday period, during covid.

The previous 5 months saw 5 million subs, so nearly halving during high-season is not a good sign.

I mean, you can ignore me and my feelings on it... it's just my opinion.
From March to September: 6 months, 5 million subscribers. Less than a million per month.

From September to December: 3 months, 3 million subscribers. Over a million per month.

Growth has increased.

johnjohn

Look like MS is going to need to keep on acquiring more developers/publishers to keep the growth going.

Last edited:

Concern

Microsoft: *has best launch month in 20 year franchise history. Gains more subscribers for their game sub service in three months than competitors have in total.*
NeoGAF: Ooof. This is really bad; my analysis shows Microsoft are failing, Xbox division is on life support, Series X is DOA, and their deal with Bethesda might actually sink the entire company.

🤡

These guy make Michael Patcher look a fuckin prophet lol

Kagey K

Banned
From March to September: 6 months, 5 million subscribers. Less than a million per month.

From September to December: 3 months, 3 million subscribers. Over a million per month.

Growth has increased.
I literally just did this same math in a different thread. 😅

Bryank75

Banned

Growth has increased.
March to the start of September.

Start of September to at least the end of December (If not into January).

I would assume.

CitizenZ

Banned
I literally just did this same math in a different thread.

But the holiday always brings more plus you couldn't go and look at anything without seeing free trial(includes membership data) and $1 3- month passes. Also any video card for pc users were getting free GP subs for 3 months.

bxrz

But the holiday always brings more plus you couldn't go and look at anything without seeing free trial(includes membership data) and $1 3- month passes. Also any video card for pc users were getting free GP subs for 3 months.
You guys said that 3 months ago. They would've expired by now, no?

KingT731

For MS consoles, yes. But we know PS5 oulsold the consoles record, that PS4 had until now.
This is exactly what I'm saying. That would be the largest launch month for X-Box due to the simultaneous release even if it didn't light the charts on fire.

Dave_Dawgg

Neo Member
Shit is crazy good.

I expect the same from Nintendo and Sony. People love gaming during these Covid times, all 3 major players should be doing great.
This. The pie (video console market) is more than large enough for 3 corporations to be successful. This should be and is a good thing. Good job MS, Sony and N.

Numbers like this is why MS can buy Bethesda and not break a sweat. It's akin to you going to Chipotle and getting a chicken bowl with guac. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I fully expect MS to make another Publisher acquisition or two.

supernova8

Banned
Great news for everyone (specifically Microsoft and Xbox of course). I really do hope Microsoft and Sony are neck and neck this generation.

Remember the last time they were at each other's throat the whole generation? Yeah Xbox 360 vs PS3 and that was an awesome generation.

Hope it keeps going. I was 100% getting a PS5 at first but if too many of the supposedly 2021 release PS5 exclusives are delayed to 2022, the whole "Xbox has no games" (which I happily joined in on at the time) will mean nothing because Playstation will be in the same boat.

Exciting times. I would absolutely love to want an Xbox again. Loved the 360. Even the original Xbox was awesome albeit extremely heavy and a health hazard to your toes.

So how much net profit have they made on xbox, this is getting silly now, cant be doing that well if they are hiding numbers still.

Last edited:
Top Bottom