• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q2 2021 Destroys Sales and Profits (Xbox +40%)

It matters because when we compare to Sony and Nintendo in a few weeks we can see how each company game division is doing.
Sony and Nintendo release net income for games why can’t Microsoft?
Probably because gaming is the predominant driver for both those companies. Take away gaming from both those companies, and they'd almost certainly be circling the drain. Take gaming away from MS, and Nadella's bonus would suck for 3 months.

I think the disparity between MS and other gaming companies is lost on some people. For instance... If Sony could clone itself, it would need to do so 14 times in order to equal MS, and they'd still be at a disadvantage due to MS's track record at financial stability. Even as successful as Sony is, that gap is staggering.

Wow, you guys capping hard.
Do you realize they have released numbers so your bs excuses about infighting is trash.
😂, they really just hiding net income because it’s poorer than expected.
It will leak, so imma move on.
Sure Jan GIF

Stuart360

Gold Member
Because there's always more money to be made?

A price hike is not indicative of a companies failure or success.
Dont companies usually reduce the price of a product that isnt doing well?, not put it up. They wanted more money from something that is very popular, and also very essential for a lot of people. It means nothing, and silly conspiracy theories over them doing it because X is doing bad, or they are trying force people in soemthing else, well you have no proof, its just console war bollocks.
And you're are all making yourselves look stupid with the continued twisting and conspiracy theries every time we get quarterly results that show them doing great.
I hope Microsoft staff read threads like this and laugh about it at work. I'm sure they do.

MastaKiiLA

they don’t show any profitability for any of their segments. Why would they just show Xbox when they don’t show azure or office profitability.

some of you want them to report it purely for fanboy wars when they literally don’t report it for any of their other divisions.
Why would they make an exception here?
They're not leading the cloud server business either. Amazon clowns them there. I think there would be less skepticism of the change in reporting years back didn't coincide with Xbox underperforming, and investors questioning the merits of continued forays into the market. Profitability is relative, and investors want to see not only growth, but gains on the competition. If you're competition is gapping you, your days of profitability could be short.

Wow, you guys capping hard.
Do you realize they have released numbers so your bs excuses about infighting is trash.
😂, they really just hiding net income because it’s poorer than expected.
It will leak, so imma move on.
Perhaps the silliest comment yet. 🤣

"MS hiding income because it's poorer than expected."

Let me simplify it like this for ya. When it comes to "Microsoft" and "income"... the last word that should be used following that is "poorer".

Sorry, but I don't know how to say it any simpler. When it comes to income, there ain't shit poor about Microsoft.

Kagey K

Banned
They're not leading the cloud server business either. Amazon clowns them there. I think there would be less skepticism of the change in reporting years back didn't coincide with Xbox underperforming, and investors questioning the merits of continued forays into the market. Profitability is relative, and investors want to see not only growth, but gains on the competition. If you're competition is gapping you, your days of profitability could be short.
It wasn't because of Xbox they changed. They changed when they went subscription based on Office and most of their other endeavors (also timed with a big management shakeup)

Theres a reason you never hear any gaming questions on the investor calls. They are looking at the dollar bills, not counting through the change.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The immediate and quick celebration of such a hollow victory for your brand of choice with so little to show for makes me genuinely believe this is some sort internet campaign from MS HQ to make it seem like people care about Xbox. 40 percent growth of the only thing they can tout as a victory during the holidays and launch of your brand new cheap console isn’t that impressive to me.
You say that, but you’re the only one who looks like an actual astroturfer.

W1XMMZR.png

The lady doth protesteth too much.

Like every other normal people has an interest in numbers without accusing it allegedly for some console warring by other

Relax, slow down.. You're cholesterol levels too high, by the time you drop some weight we'll have Sony in our pockets..DEAL??!! ok- gets busy!

Yes, but they are in third place and losing ground. They are off to a worse start, comparatively, than Xbox One. So they might have some growth, but they are growing slower than the competition, and no real plan to change that. "Game Pass games in two years" isn't it, and the recent debacle with the Live Gold shows the management is basically out to lunch in terms of what users want.

I just don't get the point of celebrating this stuff as someone who wants better games and better quality. Growth is good for shareholder(yay), but as a fan they are going the wrong direction. IMO at least.

Soo cute, why the infinite amount of concern, so much sweat coming from known shillin fanboys, (if not all) taking over the whole thread..why y'all worry so much about MS, something that you hate..shivering in your crocs I completely understand that, but its ok to be nervous.
why getting triggered with downplaying fake ass concerns by the awesome news?

I love how we apparantly have a financial analyst in our midst. Care to elaborate on how you arrived at your conclusion?

We now upgrade from chair engineers to Financial moguls.

🤭

This will be a great opportunity to see 2nd degrees under they're belts of Financial Analysts popin up throughout this +2k thread...majority will have this extraordinary accomplishment from Pony 🦄 camps.

Mark my words: NO XBOX OWNER WILL DOWNPLAY OR BITCH about this article/news..bet.

zedinen

Gaming Revenue
Microsoft
$5B (October to December)

for comparison

G&NS $5.7B (April to June)

The dying PS4 generated more revenue in a non holiday quarter than Xbox with a hardware launch in a holiday quarter.

That said, Nintendo and Microsoft full year revenues are comparable.

2019 Gaming Revenue
Nintendo $11.1B
Microsoft $11B

temroi

Neo Member
Maybe I am making a mistake, but from what I know those are numbers for Q2 2021 only and therefore all percentages are compared to them of Q2 2020.
If we look at the quarter (Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...neration-looms-microsoft-q2-2020-earnings?amp )
Those numbers are not that good and for some areas even bad.
Mostly they just recouped back to the numbers they had Q2 2019 + an additional 6 - 20 % per subfield.

I am surprised that not a single journalist is taking this into consideration when reporting about those numbers. Its easy to have a big growth in % when the base value was so bad compared to the years before.

TBiddy

Revenue numbers are just surface of the lake. Profits shows the true state of things and how deep lake it is. Everyone can dive into revenue numbers and celebrate them.

Yes, I know that revenue and profits are different. But why do you need to know the profit of the consoles themselves? You already know, considering your interest in numbers, that the profit margins are slim to non-existant on launch hardware. Why is it relevant for you, outside your usual console warrioring?

Do finally MS mentioned the amount of Game Pass subscribers who are paying the full subscription instead of having it for $1 or with a free 3 months period? Or did they mention the revenue generated by Game Pass subscriptions?

Because as of now we can't compare anything. If you only compare (mostly non paying) users, PSN has a ton more.

I'm not sure I see the relevance. I asked him what the growth numbers for the competitors were, since they are apparantly growing slower than the competition.

Yes, I know that revenue and profits are different. But why do you need to know the profit of the consoles themselves? You already know, considering your interest in numbers, that the profit margins are slim to non-existant on launch hardware. Why is it relevant for you, outside your usual console warrioring?

Accusing me for console warrioring because me ( and others) want to know profit numbers? LOL

Last edited:

pasterpl

Yes, but they are in third place and losing ground. They are off to a worse start, comparatively, than Xbox One. So they might have some growth, but they are growing slower than the competition, and no real plan to change that. "Game Pass games in two years" isn't it, and the recent debacle with the Live Gold shows the management is basically out to lunch in terms of what users want.

I just don't get the point of celebrating this stuff as someone who wants better games and better quality. Growth is good for shareholder(yay), but as a fan they are going the wrong direction. IMO at least.

so much fud in single post, respect /s

jhjfss

Can someone tell me how xbox is making more money than nintendo? I thought nsw had way more console sales and game sales?

H-I-M

Maybe I am making a mistake, but from what I know those are numbers for Q2 2021 only and therefore all percentages are compared to them of Q2 2020.
If we look at the quarter (Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...neration-looms-microsoft-q2-2020-earnings?amp )
Those numbers are not that good and for some areas even bad.
Mostly they just recouped back to the numbers they had Q2 2019 + an additional 6 - 20 % per subfield.

I am surprised that not a single journalist is taking this into consideration when reporting about those numbers. Its easy to have a big growth in % when the base value was so bad compared to the years before.

Because it doesn't benefit the "Microsoft is doing amazingly well, everything ok, Gamepass is a massive success" narrative.

Isn't it ironic how Microsoft won't mind bragging about "having the most successful Xbox Launch ever", yet at the same time won't provide any numbers ?

freefornow

The immediate and quick celebration of such a hollow victory for your brand of choice with so little to show for makes me genuinely believe this is some sort internet campaign from MS HQ to make it seem like people care about Xbox. 40 percent growth of the only thing they can tout as a victory during the holidays and launch of your brand new cheap console isn’t that impressive to me.
danger 5 laughing GIF

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
God damn! With all this massive growth they'll have to rename Microsoft to Macrohard n' veiny.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Folks none of that 15 billion came from xbox, and a 40 percent jump in revenue from the xbox division is for the xbox division, not microsoft as a whole. A 40 percent IN REVENUE jump during a console launch, one of which was 500, dollars isnt that great. Theres nothing to celebrate here unless your MS stock holder, but we're talking xbox here.

You do this much damage control in Sony threads showing good revenue too?

Ok, great for MS but what’s XB net profit for the quarter?
Whats the console sales numbers for the s/x?
Whats the gold and GP sub numbers?

1. That's now how a mega corporation works. Xbox has no net profits. Gaming only has a gross margin as a subdivision.
2. Microsoft knows, but won't tell.
3. 18m for GP and Microsoft does not tell GOLD subs.

John Wick

I wish just for one time, one quarter, Microsodt release an indeph breakdown of each division, device, service, etc, just to shut up the fucking fanboys because its getting to the point where Microsoft could announce a 1000% increase over last quarter, and pathetic fanboys will still try to twist it into Xbox doing bad, and Nadella is desperate to get rid, blah fucking blah lol.
Honestly this place is so tiresome sometimes.
Why are you so concerned? According to you your a PC gamer. Why would how well the XBox division is doing bother you?
It's all and well calling out fanboys from one side of the arguement but you fail to call out the other side when they say stupid stuff? There's no point in mentioning MS profitibility as whole or their revenue. It's not worth even contesting. But with all the money in the world they're still third. If just money was the answer then Windows Phone would have been a massive success.

John Wick

Perhaps the silliest comment yet. 🤣

"MS hiding income because it's poorer than expected."

Let me simplify it like this for ya. When it comes to "Microsoft" and "income"... the last word that should be used following that is "poorer".

Sorry, but I don't know how to say it any simpler. When it comes to income, there ain't shit poor about Microsoft.
Any idiot could guess he meant the Xbox division. But maybe that flew over your head.

John Wick

Can someone tell me how xbox is making more money than nintendo? I thought nsw had way more console sales and game sales?
Jeesus! MS as a whole makes more profit in a quarter than Nintendo and Sony do in whole year. Gaming division wise they are third.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Why are you so concerned? According to you your a PC gamer. Why would how well the XBox division is doing bother you?
It's all and well calling out fanboys from one side of the arguement but you fail to call out the other side when they say stupid stuff? There's no point in mentioning MS profitibility as whole or their revenue. It's not worth even contesting. But with all the money in the world they're still third. If just money was the answer then Windows Phone would have been a massive success.
I'm a PC gamer that is an Xbox fan (love Gamepass, all their games come to PC, 360 was my last console). And i really dont like a lot of Sony fanboys that shit up the forum. And its the same shit constantly, it grates after a while.

Loope

I'm a PC gamer that is an Xbox fan (love Gamepass, all their games come to PC, 360 was my last console). And i really dont like a lot of Sony fanboys that shit up the forum. And its the same shit constantly, it grates after a while.
Are you me? I usually post on these threads because the Sony fanboys are grating as fuck. Holly shit. They managed to shit up at least 3 threads on a day about MS. One would hope they would get contained doing DF conspiracy theories, but turns out they're also very good in finance. Who would've thought.

John Wick

It happens on all sides.
MS are only going to get bigger and richer same as Apple and Google(Alphabet). At least Sony has recovered enough from those crazy PS3 days where they were bleeding money. Now if only they can get rid of crazy Jim. Three games companies all doing well is better for consumers and for competition and choice.

Last edited:

temroi

Neo Member
Because it doesn't benefit the "Microsoft is doing amazingly well, everything ok, Gamepass is a massive success" narrative.

Isn't it ironic how Microsoft won't mind bragging about "having the most successful Xbox Launch ever", yet at the same time won't provide any numbers ?
yeah tbh it has to be said as it is: None of the Xbox centric journalists have done their job when they reported about those earning reports.

Stuart360

Gold Member
It happens on all sides.
MS are only going to get bigger and richer same as Apple and Google(Alphabet). At least Sony has recovered enough from those crazy PS3 days where they were bleeding money. Now if only they can get rid of crazy Jim. Three games companies all doing well is better for consumers and for competition and choice.
Thats the clux of it though, and of course you're right and thats what it should be, so there is no need to twist and downplay stuff like this when PS4 won last gen at a canter, and PS5 will almost certainly sell more this gen. The way they act though, you would swear its the opposite.

Loope

It happens on all sides.
Sony would never come out bad of the PS3 gen, they have such an immense mindshare all over europe since the PS1 days, that it would be almost impossible to fall flat on their faces. It helped that they chose the right way, games and more games. They're (in my opinion) the juggernaut of gaming. Nintendo has been around for longer but the mindshare in Europe/US is not the same.

Loope

It’s just not cinematic enough.

Flight Sim is also shit, because the planes don’t have any ‘deep’ dialogue. What I really want to know is if my Boeing 767 has a brother called Sam, that hasn’t been mentioned in any of the previous Flight Sim games, that we can care about.
You know Concorde G-BOAC we really are the last of us.

Also referring to Age of Empires as shit, just shows how dumbshit some people go over here.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony would never come out bad of the PS3 gen, they have such an immense mindshare all over europe since the PS1 days, that it would be almost impossible to fall flat on their faces. It helped that they chose the right way, games and more games. They're (in my opinion) the juggernaut of gaming. Nintendo has been around for longer but the mindshare in Europe/US is not the same.
Where are you from pal?

In the UK (not Europe) I’ve never known a console to be as popular as the Wii, Game Boy (including variants), DS and now Switch. Everyone and their aunt, nanna and dog had/has one. The 360 and PS4 were both insanely popular also but Nintendo have the broad appeal.

Sony is popular in mainland Europe, but people talk about it on here as if PlayStation outsell Xbox and Nintendo 10 to 1, and that’s simply not the case.

Top Bottom