• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft raises Halo game prices worldwide (Some countries up to 400%)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Microft has apparently decided to say fuck it to consumers after the ABK deal,

Just like Activision games, they also increased the base price of Halo games on Steam:

• Price increase in United Kingdom: 25%
  • Price increase in India: 400% (from 900 rupees to 4550 on MCC)(
  • Saudi Arabia: From 60 to 180 SAR (200%)

Couldn't find reports from more countries.

20231017-130156.jpg

Last edited:

Madonis

(y)

ps. we really need different topics for each franchise updates?

Probably not.

Just want to point out, however, that "regional inflation" doesn't really explain most of this. At least not for many of the countries affected. For instance, Saudi Arabia's inflation is around 2-3% right now. That doesn't justify seeing a 200% bump in the price of a game. Nor does India's 2023 inflation explain why a publisher wants its citizens to start paying 400% more for games. There's other examples, but you can see it doesn't really match with the assumptions behind your quote.

Blaming would be a hard stance. But all of these recent price increases did start based on their recommendations : P

It's also not due to Steam's recommendations per se. In fact, that's part of the problem: publishers are leaning more and more towards direct currency conversion, not what Valve suggests. Which might look good on a company spreadsheet, I suppose, but it will lead to more people either waiting for a significant discount or simply deciding to skip certain game releases.

Last edited:

Doom85

See, I guess Microsoft was being honest if they said they weren’t seeking a monopoly if the ABK deal was approved, because apparently the deal being approved gave them the monopoly in their minds if they’re pulling shit like this.

Really odd to do this, the consumer hopefully won't buy at these prices until the price goes back down. How do these prices compare to Xbox store just out of curiosity?

Goalus

Does it matter?
According to popular opinion, no one plays Halo anymore. Consequently, raising prices doesn't do any harm because no one buys.

Mowcno

Raising prices of your back catalog is bizarre. If it was recent titles due to shifts in currency value sure. But this just seems like bad PR for no worthwhile reason.

Are you really cherry picking MCC going from 900 rupees (USD$10) to 3350 (USD$40)?

You know that's a large number of full campaigns and multiplayer games in one package right?

Edit: none of you play MCC do you? Clearly no idea of how many updates, content, maps, networking etc have occurred in recent years. Very uncommon for back catalogue games, as is a price rise.

Edit2: but hey let us celebrate another collection, GOTY, deluxe ultra combo edition XVIII at retail pricing though.

Last edited:

NEbeast

This is what happens when you spend nearly 80 billion "for the gamers". I said this would happen before the end of next year and the people cheerleading consolidation would start to regret it. Its a year ahead of schedule.
Just imagine how much gamepass and games from MS are going to cost you in a few years.
Dont Play Yourself Dj Khaled GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is what happens when you spend nearly 80 billion "for the gamers". I said this would happen before the end of next year and the people cheerleading consolidation would start to regret it. Its a year ahead of schedule.
Just imagine how much gamepass and games from MS are going to cost you in a few years.
Dont Play Yourself Dj Khaled GIF
People thought Microsoft would foot the $70 billion bill lol. No, it's going to be Xbox gamers that will be paying that cost.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are you really cherry picking MCC going from 900 rupees (USD$10) to 3350 (USD$40)?

You now that's a large number of full campaigns and multiplayer games in one package right?

Edit: none of you play MCC do you? Clearly no idea of how many updates, content, maps, networking etc have occurred in recent years. Very uncommon for back catalogue games, as is a price rise.

Edit2: but hey let us celebrate another collection, GOTY, deluxe ultra combo edition XVIII at retail pricing though.
Salty for the criticism much? Halo: MCC shipping busted open and having to receive years worth of fixes to deliver on what was promised (itself a collection of old games) and it justifies a price increase? Nah, much rather praise NMS’s redemption arc than simping for MGS like this sorry.

Last edited:
Salty for the criticism much? Halo: MCC shipping busted open and having to receive years worth of fixes to deliver on what was promised (itself a collection of old games) and it justifies a price increase? Nah, much rather praise NMS’s redemption arc than simping for MGS like this sorry.

That's funny, clearly you have no idea how much I took that broken piece of shit of launch MCC to task.

And for the record, MCC is definitely now in the league of NMS redemption arc.

Am I happy with the price increase? No.

Am I happy MCC will continue to get support? Yes.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That's funny, clearly you have no idea how much I took that broken piece of shit of launch MCC to task.

And for the record, MCC is definitely now in the league of NMS redemption arc.

I am happy with the price increase? No.

I am happy MCC will continue to get support? Yes.
Yeah, situation is totally the same. As we all know Microsoft is a small indie just like the makers of NMS.

If you don’t think about this poor vulnerable company with $89 billion profits in 2022, who will? Because clearly MS couldn’t afford to properly launch MCC.

Top Bottom