• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says it’s no longer planning VR support on Xbox

Drewpee

Banned
I was excited to see what they could do with VR on the one x I am not mad at them for keeping their focus on games VR is a cool concept but is still more of a gimmick and so doubt the X is powerful enough to give us the best BE experience, although I have never actually looked into that to know for sure. Technology has to catch up to the concept, then VR is going to be amazing.

It's not a surprising move, Xbox One is underpowered for VR, and the current VR headsets are still too rough and overpriced. They also don't want to differentiate One X in that way, it probably couldn't support such an endeavor with its limited user base. I'm sure MS will make a headset for next gen though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You have to start somewhere. Imagine current VR as the NES era. Lots of rough games and lots of good ones too. Tech isn't exactly where it needs to be. But it's still a great start and will improve over time.

Right now it's more the Pong era. The NES had Mario Bros.

Alx

It just means that when VR does catch on (and it will), they will be behind the boat watching other companies floating away.

They already have a fully functional VR environment on Windows 10. They're not lagging on developing the technology, it's just that there's no money to be made on consoles right now.

Aranea

I can see VR becoming big in the future but not right now. To this day i still prefer the traditional way of gaming in front of a giant TV.

It was never announced as a main feature anyway. VR has a long way to go before it's worth big investment in the console space.

What's the attach rate on PS4, like less than 5%? - With those kind of numbers devs are going to avoid it like the plague. Without consistent good software it's a non starter.

IMO it will need to be wireless, great tech inside and not much different than putting on a pair of shades to really attract people. Oh and also for consoles it will need to be pretty cheap, like maybe even sub 200 bucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even have a headset next generation, even Sony too. I reckon they will just stick with the current headset.

LostDonkey

Good news. My PSVR has been sat gathering dust for ages. Every now and again I'll fire it up but only to do virtual tours of places.

Alx

I regularly think back to the 2015 Minecraft Hololens demo that had all the press raving, even though it was already apparent that MS was using their usual trick and showing a bit of smoke & mirrors that would never materialize for the consumer.

AMR39o.jpg

Is there anything more depressing than this

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
Wasted all that money on hololens. The devs making hololens games must be fuming.

I agree. Companies need to just give up on wasting their money with R&D and just give us more of what we already have! Who needs innovation? Not gamers, obviously. We just want our console box and game discs.

Grinchy

Banned
The VR hate vs VR love fanboyism is the oddest internet fanboy war I've witnessed in a while. I don't quite understand it. VR makes some people so angry, even when they haven't tried it.

Codes 208

Both AR and VR are dumb imo. I dont want gimmicks. I want solid gameplay with tight controls that dont require some super expensive accessory that would in the end just give me migraines.

Options are nice sure, but after kinect i want ms to stay as far fucking away as possible from trivial hardware attachments.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as a rift owner this is a great call shit be dead atm, will def come back but sets are way way to bulky with recent tech

BANGS

Banned
The VR hate vs VR love fanboyism is the oddest internet fanboy war I've witnessed in a while. I don't quite understand it. VR makes some people so angry, even when they haven't tried it.
To be fair, you don't even have to try VR to know it's shit, using your imagination is bad enough. And then you laugh when you actually do try it and it's even worse than you could have possibly imagined...

Then on forums you mention how bad it is and you have a bunch of foaming mouthed crazies who are so upset the just dropped $600 on hardware that they have to defend their horrible purchase. They make up shit like "you never tried it" and stuff because one can't possibly not like what they wasted money on. Then you ask how often they play it and you can tell they're lying because nobody would subject themselves to that kinda torture that often. It's quite sad really...

MDSLKTR

To be fair, you don't even have to try VR to know it's shit, using your imagination is bad enough. And then you laugh when you actually do try it and it's even worse than you could have possibly imagined...

Then on forums you mention how bad it is and you have a bunch of foaming mouthed crazies who are so upset the just dropped $600 on hardware that they have to defend their horrible purchase. They make up shit like "you never tried it" and stuff because one can't possibly not like what they wasted money on. Then you ask how often they play it and you can tell they're lying because nobody would subject themselves to that kinda torture that often. It's quite sad really...
I'll quote it again from another thread: you have no clue what you're talking about. But you definitely fall in the category the poster mentions, it's pretty sad to see YOU go in every vr thread preaching your uninformed opinion as gospel.

Last edited:

Codes 208

You can certainly try vr. In the peak of its popularity, ive tested both occulus and vive at the mall. Many times. But what they dont tell you is that the ten minutes they give is just under the threshold of getting nausea. Bought an oculus and returned it days later after throwing up from just a 20 min session of lucky tales.

Psvr was even worse because of the lower res so i got a headache from just the demo. Vive was the only one i never really felt ill with, i guess from the controller set up. But i cant say im intrigued enough to try it again.

camelCase

It just means that when VR does catch on (and it will), they will be behind the boat watching other companies floating away.

Possibly. I agree that it's for the best for this console gen that they leave it alone. MS has bedrock and all that bullshit they need to lay before they start capriciously littering the marketplace more with peripherals, especially when they have such a bad reputation from the kinect.

BANGS

Banned
you have no clue what you're talking about.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. They just make up shit. I've more than just "tried" VR and played several games, but I "don't know what I'm talking about" because I can't possibly dislike something this guy wasted a ton of money on...

It's so sad seeing these guys defend their wasted coin...

MDSLKTR

This is exactly what I'm talking about. They just make up shit. I've more than just "tried" VR and played several games, but I "don't know what I'm talking about" because I can't possibly dislike something this guy wasted a ton of money on...

Are you my financial advisor? My money is doing good and I'm more than happy with my investment, thank you.
Now instead of blanket statements maybe you could elaborate as to why for the hate boner?
Like what set-up did you try it on. On what games. Do you have motion sickness etc. etc.

MultiCore

Your change of avatar hasn't made you any more correct. It's the same feeling you get watching Trump proclaim how smart he is.

"You don't even have to try it to know it's bad!"

Your crusade against VR is laughable now, and will inevitably be proven to be the thrashings of a Luddite who's scared of the magic of fire. Why you insist on trying to convince everyone within reach of this website that VR is inherently bad is incredibly confusing, and it's a disservice to innocent bystanders.

It's fine if you don't like it, or don't want to like it, or don't want to spend your money on it.

Insisting loudly that nobody should like it is childish, and doesn't belong here, an enthusiast forum. This is a place where people who love every weird dead peripheral ever made are meant to congregate and share their enthusiasm for the hobby, not have trolls come in and yell "THAT THING IS DEAD YOU KNOW".

You figure you'd understand this as a Dreamcast fan.

I hope you either figure this out, or a mod looks at your post history on the subject.

BANGS

Banned
Are you my financial advisor? My money is doing good and I'm more than happy with my investment, thank you.
Now instead of blanket statements maybe you could elaborate as to why for the hate boner?
Like what set-up did you try it on. On what games. Do you have motion sickness etc. etc.
I don't have motion sickness nor hate for VR. I just think it's a silly gimmick that doesn't enhance most games. It only enhances games that are created for VR, for "immersion". But unfortunately VR isn't good enough to fool me into being immersed. I've played several setups and games, from PSVR to Oculus, from batman to that music lightsaber thing. I still continue to try VR games every now and then, because they are fun for about 10 minutes until the gimmick effect wears off and you realize you're just playing a generic game with a friggin helmet on. It's always worth a try, never worth a purchase...

Your change of avatar hasn't made you any more correct. It's the same feeling you get watching Trump proclaim how smart he is.

"You don't even have to try it to know it's bad!"

Your crusade against VR is laughable now, and will inevitably be proven to be the thrashings of a Luddite who's scared of the magic of fire. Why you insist on trying to convince everyone within reach of this website that VR is inherently bad is incredibly confusing, and it's a disservice to innocent bystanders.

It's fine if you don't like it, or don't want to like it, or don't want to spend your money on it.

Insisting loudly that nobody should like it is childish, and doesn't belong here, an enthusiast forum. This is a place where people who love every weird dead peripheral ever made are meant to congregate and share their enthusiasm for the hobby, not have trolls come in and yell "THAT THING IS DEAD YOU KNOW".

You figure you'd understand this as a Dreamcast fan.

I hope you either figure this out, or a mod looks at your post history on the subject.
This is laughable. I'm not on some campaign to hate VR, I'm just stating my opinion and you guys can't stand criticism of your precious. I never said VR is inherently bad, I never said nobody should like it, but it's quite clear that VR isn't anything worth buying into. It's not the future, as least not the near future. Read through this thread and you'll find countless comments confirming it. Dunno why you latch onto me in every thread like I'm the only one criticizing it, I must have struck a nerve or something...

Also again I've never said you can't enjoy VR. Please enjoy it and don't ever compare it to the Dreamcast again. Dreamcast wasn't a fad, it was the end of an era and the start of the future....

Last edited:

MultiCore

I don't have motion sickness nor hate for VR. I just think it's a silly gimmick that doesn't enhance most games. It only enhances games that are created for VR, for "immersion". But unfortunately VR isn't good enough to fool me into being immersed. I've played several setups and games, from PSVR to Oculus, from batman to that music lightsaber thing. I still continue to try VR games every now and then, because they are fun for about 10 minutes until the gimmick effect wears off and you realize you're just playing a generic game with a friggin helmet on. It's always worth a try, never worth a purchase...

This is laughable. I'm not on some campaign to hate VR, I'm just stating my opinion and you guys can't stand criticism of your precious. I never said VR is inherently bad, I never said nobody should like it, but it's quite clear that VR isn't anything worth buying into. It's not the future, as least not the near future. Read through this thread and you'll find countless comments confirming it. Dunno why you latch onto me in every thread like I'm the only one criticizing it, I must have struck a nerve or something...
It's all there in your post history.

Every VR thread you see, you show up to say, "This is garbage, I hope it dies yesterday!"

It's not debate, it's not critique, it's not even an opinion.

It's trolling, shitposting and doesn't belong here.

I get you don't like it but why in earth do you need to be so obnoxious to a point of almost goading and laughing at how people have spent their money. SMH...

OT. I bought PSVR at release and sold it a few weeks later for a £5 loss because although I enjoyed it, the quality wasn't quite good enough for me personally.

However, after improvements that I hope will come, I'll be up for trying it again.

We are in the Pong area of VR, so of course devs and gamers are still learning.

But it's still growing now. So......

It's been catching on for over 20 years now. We were in the "Pong" era back then.

It has made advances, but I still think it will likely be at least another 20 years before we have the tech to make it really accessible and enjoyable for the majority. It's great that the current iteration has its fans, but it will remain a very niche thing for a lot longer IMO.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Whoa there! Genuine question and not meant to be an insult to anyone here: Have any of you actually played games in VR? And no, I'm not talking about Playstation's entry/low-level VR. I'm talking about a Vive or Oculus headset? The problem isn't the technology itself, but it's that most devs haven't been taking it seriously and been treating it like some kind of tech demo, so it has a library full of crappy games. But games like Elite: Dangerous in VR are so amazing as to have moved some people to tears. Subnautica has given people a real sense of terror. Watching a trailer or seeing someone play them on a screen really does not do these games justice. VR is the future and as the technology gets better and if more devs take it seriously, I hope we will begin to see that.

Nice of you to attempt to shit on psvr while you make your point as it completely lost you any credibility you may have had. Those are good games but id put psvr exclusives like resident evil, wipeout and farpoint with aim ahead of most any vr experience. No need to shit on psvr like it isnt bringing the heat, youre transpearant.

And as much as i love vr i have to say this is a good move by microsoft. The X is capable im sure but they cant cater to that miniscule userbase, the fact of the matter is the base xbox one is holding them back so its best they cut their ties this generation as its a losing battle.

Theyre already invested in mr so you can assume when they put forth a more powerful console the tech will be there.

Grinchy

Banned

You have some pretty extreme feelings toward VR. What is it that you dislike so much about it? What makes it "torture?"

edit - I see you already went into that a few posts up.

Last edited:

McCheese

I think this is the right move for Microsoft.

They don't have the sales, or the first party resources to support a niche add-on on their current systems. It's also worth remembering they jumped in with both feet on the motion control bandwagon, and we all know how that panned out for them. It's a shame really, I'd like to see it continue to do well on PC and PSVR and hope that Microsoft can revisit it down the line.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
VR is still in it's infancy.
That said it was always obvious Xbox One was not powerful enough to run it.
I don't know why anyone believed it could and they definitely weren't going to make X1X games only.

I'm surprised but a lot of the comments here. I have only been playing VR games for a while now. I'm really enjoying Fallout 4 VR. I have an xbox One that is unplugged and Switch that I haven't touched after beating Zelda. But I play with my Rift once every day.

VR has plenty to offer.

The only time its enthusiasts tend to overstep a bit is when suggesting that VR is a natural progression, as if screen-based games inherently should start to adopt it across the board as an upgrade just as blockbuster films have done so. That's ridiculous, because it's a completely different kind of experience and only select games / genres make sense on it. However, while it isn't "the future" in some singular way as the next unified platform for games, it is definitely compelling enough to form a permanent and major part of the future of gaming.

Kenpachii

Much like 3D, VR will be gone at the end of next generation if it even makes it that far. The tech is flawed to its core.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I support this. Microsoft can barely support Xbox with its studios. Get things in a better state before supporting this niche area.

Kenpachii

VR is ready. Play Wipeout, play Thumper, or play RE 7 in VR.

Watch someone play this game "Beat Saber" and tell me VR isn't ready.

Problems i have with this:

1) I have to stand with a screen on my head where i can't see my surroundings
2) I have to stand in a empty room to not smash things
3) I have to move a lot which made motion controls already useless to me and annoying before and will be even more so now.
4) Helmet will hurt my face after a hour or so
5) Helmet builds up sweat which is annoying
6) Can't walk naturally in games because you can't see stuff which makes it even more weird
7) wires everywhere to trip over if you move a lot
8) headics after a while of playing because 2 screens lazer beam my eyes without natural light = recipe for disaster
9) Need a powerful PC and mess around with lots of settings to even get it to start
10) Expensive
11) Done with that game after a hour, what do i do now? pay another hefty amount of cash for another tech demo. Yea no ty.
12) Can't see things around me to socialize while i am gaming.
13) Can't multitask while gaming which is really important for me.

While without VR that game could be played like this:

1) Sitting in my relaxing chair, Press button on my mouse the moment stuff comes close towards my screen and be done after a level then interact with my surroundings or multitask to move to the next level.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

WHOA! That's alot of money for something that's not even their main revenue driver.

that's hardware revenue, extrapolated from sales and average price of the headset. There's probably very little profit in there, if any, and it will take some time before they can cover the R&D and marketing costs.
It's all in the software anyway, that market will never be profitable on hardware alone.

Every PSVR was sold at a small profit. There's no lost on each PSVR sold at launch.

It's been catching on for over 20 years now. We were in the "Pong" era back then.

It has made advances, but I still think it will likely be at least another 20 years before we have the tech to make it really accessible and enjoyable for the majority. It's great that the current iteration has its fans, but it will remain a very niche thing for a lot longer IMO.

Nah son. VR solutions have just started to be sold in everyday homes within the last 2 or so years.

Nah son. VR solutions have just started to be sold in everyday homes within the last 2 or so years.

If you mean at close to a mass market price, then yes. I knew someone who’s family had a VR setup (the Eyephone) in 1990 or so. I was amazed by it at the time. I think it was like $10k though. Lol Then, I used to play the arcade VR machines a lot back in the early 90’s. While things have certainly come a long way, I, just saying that I have been hearing that “VR is the next big thing” for a really long time.

I think it will get there eventually (although I actually think AR will be the thing of the future), but it will still be a while before it truly hits “mainstream” adoption. And that’s okay. I was just saying it will remain a very niche market for a long time.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If you mean at close to a mass market price, then yes. I knew someone who’s family had a VR setup (the Eyephone) in 1990 or so. I was amazed by it at the time. I think it was like $10k though. Lol Then, I used to play the arcade VR machines a lot back in the early 90’s. While things have certainly come a long way, I, just saying that I have been hearing that “VR is the next big thing” for a really long time.

I think it will get there eventually (although I actually think AR will be the thing of the future), but it will still be a while before it truly hits “mainstream” adoption. And that’s okay. I was just saying it will remain a very niche market for a long time.

I agree. I think it will take another 10 years of "growing" niche before it really hits super mainstream. If that makes sense.

Solomeena

Banned
Probably for the best. Not like VR is setting the world on fire like we thought it would years ago.

This is such an ignorant thing to say. Every major player in the VR game including Valve and Facebook has said before day 1 that VR will take years to reach mainstream success, no one thought it would set the world on fire except people like you who want it to fail. I will continue to be in awe of how awesome my Vive is.

Top Bottom