• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Xbox Series X will have ‘the largest launch line-up for any console ever’ | VGC

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The claim was made by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella during the company’s fourth quarter earnings call on Wednesday.

“In content we are delivering differentiated first and third-party content to attract and retain gamers,” he said. “Xbox Series X will launch this fall with the largest launch line-up for any console ever.”
Nadella didn’t comment further on the console’s launch line-up, but he may have been referring to both new games and older titles that will be playable on the next-gen console at launch via backwards compatibility.

Microsoft said in May that Xbox Series X already plays thousands of games thanks to its backwards compatibility support.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

How would you know?
7X49.gif

Honestly, let's be real, Microsoft's biggest problem has never been games at launch, it's biggest problem has been - since the XBOX 360 - how it ends it's generation in which the number first party games released begin trickle down well before the end of a generation.

If Microsoft was a man, he would be the kinda guy that pre-ejaculates after a few pumps.

Microsoft has been nothing but talk the entirety of the current generation when it comes to games.

I'm not going to hold my breathe until their showing.

Here's hoping they learned about cock rings and learned to hold on just a little longer than usual.

Soodanim

What this thread needs is some numbers. If we’re to take it as true, we need the historical data they used in order to draw conclusions.

SirTerry-T

Honestly, let's be real, Microsoft's biggest problem has never been games at launch, it's biggest problem has been - since the XBOX 360 - how it ends it's generation in which the number first party games released begin trickle down well before the end of a generation.

If Microsoft was a man, he would be the kinda guy that pre-ejaculates after a few pumps.

Microsoft has been nothing but talk the entirety of the current generation when it comes to games.

I'm not going to hold my breathe until their showing.

Here's hoping they learned about cock rings and learned to hold on just a little longer than usual.
Now THAT is how you write an analogy!

Yeah sure.
Backcompat, Only next gen console for 2 months were you can play AC, Fifa, Avengers, etc. and at least 3 first party games

Last edited:

Bernkastel

"We have the biggest line-up ever [because we're counting titles already released]" sounds sadder than my guess
Putting an emotional spin to your personal judgement is what we call concern trolling. It just means that people who bought Xbox Series X at launch have thousands of games to play.
I believe it when I see it. Also it´s not about quantity but rather quality.
Quality is subjective.

Tulipanzo

Putting an emotional spin to your personal judgement is what we call concern trolling. It just means that people who bought Xbox Series X at launch have thousands of games to play.
Yeah, but it's not what people would consider a "launch line-up", which refers to games made available AT launch.
While not technically incorrect, your interpretation makes it look as if they are fudging the numbers. I personally just think it's their yearly boast.

It'd also be incorrect, because the og PS3 technically had access to PS1+PS2+PS3.

Three

What this thread needs is some numbers. If we’re to take it as true, we need the historical data they used in order to draw conclusions.
Being one of the first xbox's with BC at launch this would be true without having to even count. Phil already said they are behind on software so I doubt that this year would actually have more new games than other xbox console launches.

Last edited:

AllyITA

On topic, seems a bit overconfident? Like how would they know how many 1st party games Sony will launch with, unless they’re including BC or something. Would love it to be true but sounds not quite right.
obviously they are including BC, it is one of the main point of series X, that it can play all stuff from xbox one and beyond

pasterpl

"
You will be able to play four generations of games on Xbox Series X on day one. That makes it the largest launch lineup for any new console ever, with thousands of games to play."

From Xbox Wire

MastaKiiLA

They've determined that cross-gen titles will help to bolster their launch lineup. It's an interesting strategy. If you assume the system will sellout for a few months, then it buys your devs a little extra time to prepare true next-gen stuff to drive the latter half of the first year of the console's life. I don't think BC is counted towards that claim.

SaucyJack

It was Nadella and it was about launch lineup. Makes sense with their backwards compatibility catalogue.

It makes sense based on what we know about BC just now, but it’s a pretty crap boast. And when we get the full story on PS5 backwards compatibility this may change anyway.

Isn't there somewhere in the region of 1,000 more PS4 than XBO games? Having 360 and Xbox games will bridge that gap but if PlayStation has BC for any of PS1-3 then they won’t.

Tulipanzo

Not sure why this is controversial when you account for games pass and backwards compatibility.
Launch line-up is commonly referred to as games made available at launch, so the statement is a bit disingenous.
It's also incorrect, because the og PS3 technically had more games, so they are just counting "biggest" in terms of number of consoles nominally supported rather than the number of games.

I personally think it's just a boast, and it's not meant to be taken objectively. More like "we'll have a lot of new games at launch"

Bernkastel

Nope. It is not known, the correct word to use would be unknown. There are a grand total of zero statements about non-PS4 BC.
Its possible that Xbox Series X will be backwards compatible with all the past Sega and Neo Geo consoles. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Tulipanzo

Nope. It is not known, the correct word to use would be unknown. There are a grand total of zero statements about non-PS4 BC.
The way they've been teasing it has me cautiously hopeful. At this point we're just missing PS3 emulation, but we know of internal emulators for all other systems, so it's not that outlandish.
Still, MS wouldn't know about it, so point is kind of moot.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The two aren’t mutually exclusive m8

On topic, seems a bit overconfident? Like how would they know how many 1st party games Sony will launch with, unless they’re including BC or something. Would love it to be true but sounds not quite right.

What have Sony actually shown us and given a date on? I'm not sure how many titles outside a Spiderman expansion will be there launch day.

Top Bottom