• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

Because you're going to have to pay $60/year to get these entertainment things, plus virtually all of them will not be available outside of the US, UK and Canada.

Most console gamers have been willing to pay $60 a year for Xbox Live for a long time. If the features they love remain intact and new ones are introduced, where's the problem?

Unless Microsoft charges a separate fee for access to the TV/Music hubs, but that would be a marketing misstep and I doubt they'll do that.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony tries to satisfy all areas, many times to the detriment of their financial status. You can't say "PS4 will drop the gaming focus several years in" because it's never happened on a Sony console before. They have 3 consoles of trying to keep gamers and casuals happy (to varying degrees of success, but that's not the topic here). However you can say that with MS because with their first console they pulled the plug on it early, leaving everyone behind, and now with 360 they dropped gamers like a bad habit as soon as they caught a whiff of that casual money.

How have they dropped gamers with the 360?

They just released sequels/spinoffs to their most major CORE gaming franchises these past few months.

Same is true of Sony/PS3.

Dabanton

Because that reveal is just gonna be games, games, and games right?

Of course it won't it will probably be games,media features and new tech. The company that makes it easier for me to have my games,entertainment and a way for me to access that as slickly as possible will have my money and pride of place as my entertainment hub.

That is the stuff that gets people talking and by "people" I don't just mean us here on game forums but those people out there that outnumber us by their millions.

I'm surprised there are so many people still defending Microsoft after all this shit. Guys, Gears isn't that great of a game. And Halo is ok. Why defending them so hard? EVERYTHING that has been said about the next X-Box sounds horrible for gaming in general.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I could say the same about the PS3's first few years. It was a barren landscape of shit ports and mediocre exclusives with a god-awful online system to play them on. Ironically, Sony sold a bunch of PS3s solely because it was a good media player. But I'm sure when the PS4 launches and they focus solely on gaming - no way will they show off media functions at E3 where you can control playback with gestures/voice using the PS4 camera (copying MS would be crazy right!?) - and all of the "aspirational" features are there day one, it'll be wonderful.

I agree somewhat on the first few years of PS3. It was rough.

But in the "what have you done for me lately" world, MSFT has flopped terribly in terms of consistently having a solid set of games. And that doesn't include their focus on Kinect. And as Derrick noted, their message has been conveying just that and it looks to continue with their next box.

The good news on PS4 is that they won't be repeating the same mistakes as far as developers are concerned.

Alx

Unless Microsoft charges a separate fee for access to the TV/Music hubs, but that would be a marketing misstep and I doubt they'll do that.

That's likely, though... You already have an additional fee for Xbox Music, even if you're a gold subscriber for example. I hope they will merge their services in a single offer, but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Derrick01

Banned
How have they dropped gamers with the 360?

They just released sequels/spinoffs to their most major CORE gaming franchises these past few months.

Same is true of Sony/PS3.

Yes, they released another halo and another gears and another forza. What else?

Wait I've seen this discussion enough that I can answer the question myself.

*incoming list of xbla games that 80% also released on PC, but PC doesn't matter because idk list wars*

surly

Banned
EVERYTHING that has been said about the next X-Box sounds horrible for gaming in general.
Which of the announced games are you looking forward to? How do you think the specs compared to the PS4? What do you think of the new controller design? What do you think of the new Xbox Live features? Oh yeah - it's not been announced yet.

LiquidMetal14 said:
But in the "what have you done for me lately" world, MSFT has flopped terribly in terms of consistently having a solid set of games.
I sold my PS3 because I didn't buy a single game for it in 2012. There was nothing I wanted to play. Looking at sales of the exclusives that came out and what happened to the developers that made them, I think I'm not the only one that felt that way either.

I'm surprised there are so many people still defending Microsoft after all this shit. Guys, Gears isn't that great of a game. And Halo is ok. Why defending them so hard? EVERYTHING that has been said about the next X-Box sounds horrible for gaming in general.

Ha! And who the fuck are you to define if a game is good, bad or ok for everyone else? My interest on the nextbox is on an all-time low but seriously, some of you need to grow up.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm curious as to what the reaction will be if Microsoft shows off 15-20 games at their early reveal. Those studios they pulled off early and their new Studios they created have to of been doing something the last couple years. I hope.

I'll be cynical, I just don't trust hardware markers and see it more of a plot to get consumer on-board, entrenched, and milked the shit out of it. I see these new studios as reasons for Microsoft to build the install base rapidly since they no longer enjoy a 1 year ( or 1.5 in some cases ) head-start.

The one that pull off the most shit next generation will get the least love from me but at the end of the day, I'll probably buy them all. The issue shouldn't be extreme fans hoping that the next xbox don't get BC or PS4 getting charged for online play. Some people just feel better regardless of how their company of choice is treating them, as long as fans of the opposition camp(s) are worst off.

Most console gamers have been willing to pay $60 a year for Xbox Live for a long time. If the features they love remain intact and new ones are introduced, where's the problem?

Because Live doesn't exist in a bubble. What Sony offered early this gen sucked. A lot of what Live offers has now been implemented into what Sony offers and Nintendo has even stepped up their online game (although still paltry in comparison).

I was one of those users. It's going to be a seriously hard sell to make me pay again this round because of what Sony is offering for free (assuming it still is and such).

Roki6

Banned
Sony sells it's mobile gaming company and some other assets
NeoGAF: cool Sony is streamlining, consolidating, etc. We love new focused Sony, Kaz is genius.

Microsoft sells IPTV business to focus on the Xbox brand
NeoGAF: lol Micro$oft, xbox doomed

Microsoft cant do anything right :)

I don't see why this surprises people. This was MS stated goal from the beginning. Like from when they first entered the console business. Backed up from the numerous people who have since left the company or project. They were never interested in games/gaming. This is what they have always wanted, the multimedia do everything, under tv pc, set top box. They didn't want that to become Sony.

Agreed about the next box, not one rumour has been exciting for me, everything has had a "meh" vibe. I have been excited for PS4 so that is good and something to look forward to however, lets be honest here, if you are going to have a go at people defending, then have a go at the people attacking too, they have been relentless for a long time here and it doesnt help when you are trying to get a decent conversation going.

I've been thinking about that, but if my console can do it then two birds one stone; I get the ips I love plus the services I want.

I love Halo and Forza and Gears, but if that's all Microsoft will be giving us, then I'd sadly have to take my money elsewhere. I need new IPs too. Need new stuff.

Who said they are buying the Nextbox solely because it also streams media. At the beginning of this gen, people spent even more to get a PS3 on the strength of its Blu-Ray.

MS is simply building on the success they have had all gen. They aren't the first or the last console to take the 'It does everything' approach when trying to promote their hardware.

The $499 dollar console isn't confirmed, but if it is and MS makes a great case at E3, then we will see who actually buys what when the consoles go on sale.

You know it's not a question of whether it will be a successful product right? The Wii was the fastest selling console of all time, doesn't mean it provided the best gaming experience. Which a video game console should strive to be.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm surprised there are so many people still defending Microsoft after all this shit. Guys, Gears isn't that great of a game. And Halo is ok. Why defending them so hard?

Heh, so would it be okay for someone to say that Sony isn't focused on gaming if they didn't like PS franchises then?

It's silly.

EVERYTHING that has been said about the next X-Box sounds horrible for gaming in general.

Rumors.

That's not to say that some won't be true--- I don't know.

However, too many people are jumping to conclusions, setting themselves up in the perfect position to eat crow.

Looking more and more like 2005 all over again.

That's likely, though... You already have an additional fee for Xbox Music, even if you're a gold subscriber for example. I hope they will merge their services in a single offer, but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

From the sound of a lot of discontented people in this thread, that might actually be a good thing from their perspective. If they don't want those features, surely they wouldn't want them bundled with the stuff they actually use under a singular fee?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
How is that an explanation? I asked you why the console acting as a TV hub is bad for gaming, you still haven't provided a valid answer.
Historically, consoles are about trying to maximize the amount of gaming prowess you can fit in the most cost effective box possible, so I think the core audience wants to see that all the core components in the box are focused on gaming. If that enables you to do auxiliary functions like media playback _as a byproduct_, nobody really minds. But if a company is specifically designing a console to do more than gaming, then that implies a design not built specifically to maximize the gaming capability necessarily. Based on what we've heard rumored about the next xbox so far, that seems to be the case - large chunks of memory being reserved for heavy OS services that probably aren't fully gaming related and an overall architecture that was decided in order to support that approach.

It'll still be a solid game machine, but it may not be a fully dedicated one at the component level, creating a very deliberate split in its priorities.

LiquidMetal14

I sold my PS3 because I didn't buy a single game for it in 2012. There was nothing I wanted to play. Looking at sales of the exclusives that came out and what happened to the developers that made them, I think I'm not the only one that felt that way either.

I'm curious to see how you've felt about Xbox if you sold your PS3 last year. I have slowed down a lot on PS3 as well, for the record. That doesn't mean I can't see that it's been the best platform the last few years.

I reiterate so you don't think I have an agenda. I have been playing LESS PS3 the last 2 years but can still see the increased redeeming value as they've released some good games with variety.

I have to cite Derrick again but with MSFT it's Halo, Gears, Forza - rinse wash repeat but throw in some XBLA games which are mostly on PC.

Not gonna cut it for me as I game on PC about 80% today.

Because Live doesn't exist in a bubble. What Sony offered early this gen sucked. A lot of what Live offers has now been implemented into what Sony offers and Nintendo has even stepped up their online game (although still paltry in comparison).

I was one of those users. It's going to be a seriously hard sell to make me pay again this round because of what Sony is offering for free (assuming it still is and such).

Assuming is the key word.

You're assuming that PS4's online service will match Xbox Live's features for free. Not only is that a leap, I think it's flat-out wrong but only time will tell if I'm right.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yes, they released another halo and another gears and another forza. What else?

Wait I've seen this discussion enough that I can answer the question myself.

*incoming list of xbla games that 80% also released on PC, but PC doesn't matter because idk list wars*

You are twisting the argument.

They HAVE released games --- games that are part of core franchises.

Therefore gaming is still a big focus for them.

That's what this was about. It was never about your opinion on the variety.

I find your argument ironic in the sense that one could say that same for what Sony has put out recently.

"Oh another GOW game and a new Sly game... Whoopee."

It's silly.

a mod should move this to off topic, because it seems it's not gaming related.

sorry couldn't resist

Haha, I see what you did there sir.

I said this when it came to the Wii U and I think it applies here too. The fact that Microsoft has told us so little about the console is likely BAD news. You hide bad news back as long as possible so that you don't have to deal with the deteriorating effect it has on your user base before the system is even out.

The fact that Microsoft won't even deny the bad rumors is a horrible sign imo.

Ha! And who the fuck are you to define if a game is good, bad or ok for everyone else? My interest on the nextbox is on an all-time low but seriously, some of you need to grow up.

I was being sarcastic about the Gears and Halo thing. I own every Gears and Halo game. I was just playing up the fact that people keep defending them for no good reason.

Prologue

Because you're going to have to pay $60/year to get these entertainment things, plus virtually all of them will not be available outside of the US, UK and Canada.

You better believe LIVE is going to be a bit more expensive this time around with all these extra goodies.

BigDug13

I already have an Apple TV and I've never used the multimedia features of my 360. So what exactly is this thing offering me outside of charging me $50 per year to sometimes play multiplayer?

Assuming is the key word.

You're assuming that Sony's online service will match Xbox Live's features and be free. Not only is that huge leap, I think it's flat-out wrong but only time will tell if I'm right.

How is that wrong? Besides X-game party chat, it offers pretty much everything that Live does right now and PS+ is 100x better if you want to go the 'pay' route.

And of course we're "assuming". I constantly see the posts of "wait until it's announced" .... why? This is a forum meant to foster discussion. I think speculation and rumor discussion is the #1 reason for these types of places to exist. If we ONLY went off what PR "officially" released this place would suck.

I don't understand why that's a "huge leap" when it basically happens right now.

Derrick01

Banned
You are twisting the argument.

They HAVE released games --- games that are part of core franchises.

Therefore gaming is still a big focus for them.

That's what this was about. It was never about your opinion on the variety.

I find your argument ironic in the sense that one could say that same for what Sony has put out recently.

"Oh another GOW game and a new Sly game... Whoopee."

It's silly.

And 2 major new IPs. And puppeteer I guess (not really my thing but hey it's a new game).

Haha, I see what you did there sir.

I said this when it came to the Wii U and I think it applies here too. The fact that Microsoft has told us so little about the console is likely BAD news. You hide bad news back as long as possible so that you don't have to deal with the deteriorating effect it has on your user base before the system is even out.

What is the point in making the system then if they feel like that?

Triple U

Banned
Of course it won't it will probably be games,media features and new tech. The company that makes it easier for me to have my games,entertainment and a way for me to access that as slickly as possible will have my money and pride of place as my entertainment hub.

That is the stuff that gets people talking and by "people" I don't just mean us here on game forums but those people out there that outnumber us by their millions.
That's yet to be seen though. Sorry but I don't just buy that media connectivity is something that's gonna attract "millions" when, for instance, the cheapest tv in my apartment(vizio) can access pretty much every media service I use with just my remote. Even if the apps are shitty

Media functionality at this point is something that's basically required. It's not something that's gonna attract attention unless of course you don't have it and you'll get the kind you don't want. If MS wants to present a "media box" then they really need something that no one has thought of.

R3TRODYCE

I love Halo and Forza and Gears, but if that's all Microsoft will be giving us, then I'd sadly have to take my money elsewhere. I need new IPs too. Need new stuff.

Well it's a given that we're going to get new IP's, the question is will they be good lol.

Alx

From the sound of a lot of discontented people in this thread, that might actually be a good thing from their perspective. If they don't want those features, surely they wouldn't want them bundled with the stuff they actually use under a singular fee?

I suppose you're right, having the possibility to pick your services gives more freedom to the user. But it may still be centralized in a single system, with decreasing prices the more you subscribe. You could have only XBL Gold only for $60 a year, or XBMusic only for $100 a year, or both for $130 a year, for example.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
To be fair, the timing of their announcement will be about the same as it was for the 360 reveal. May reveal, November launch. The key difference this time around is that they'll now be last to unveil, hence the impatience.

Jadedx

Banned
Sony sells it's mobile gaming company and some other assets
NeoGAF: cool Sony is streamlining, consolidating, etc. We love new focused Sony, Kaz is genius.

Microsoft sells IPTV business to focus on the Xbox brand
NeoGAF: lol Micro$oft, xbox doomed

Microsoft cant do anything right :)

OMG this! So much this!!!

Neokash

Neo Member
All in one system sounds great if done right, I expect MSFT to support the Hardcore gamers for at least the first 3 years on the nextbox life cycle. I also expect sony to follow MS witch a cheaper subscription to mediahubs.

LiquidMetal14

OMG this! So much this!!!

All doom and gloom, all day lol

But seriously, all we have are some strong leads into their next gen strategy and so far, as far as gaming is concerned, it's bad.

Hopefully the informed gamer can make up their own mind.

BigDug13

Blu-ray players now do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. TV's now do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. Apple TV and other STB's do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. Xbox should do those things, but why should it become such a primary focus of the machine? Is that because Microsoft wants you to buy your entertainment content directly through there? Is there some reason why I should ever buy non-game content that can only be used on a singular system when things like the Apple TV lets me use things across all devices? Where's the superior benefit of getting it from them?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Don't know bout you guys but I'm putting a big X on this box from MS.

Without it even being announced or having any confirmed details... yep sounds like GAF.

Blu-ray players now do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. TV's now do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. Apple TV and other STB's do Netflix, amazon, Hulu. Xbox should do those things, but why should it become such a primary focus of the machine? Is that because Microsoft wants you to buy your entertainment content directly through there? Is there some reason why I should ever buy non-game content that can only be used on a singular system?

What makes you think it only works on a single device?

It's a primary focus because Microsoft wants to be the center of the living room.

Krakatoa

If MS can allow me to stream all current TV channels using IPTV, allowing me to ditch my cable box. Then I may jump in again.

bidguy

Banned
could be nice if all these features would be available outside of america. hope it does with the next xbox.

bakedpony

Without it even being announced or having any confirmed details... yep sounds like GAF.

Keeping the hope alive eh?

I understand if it's just one rumor, or maybe even two. But the events in recent memory are very telling, not even counting the heavy rumors that we're hearing.

When there's smoke, there's fire and this fire has already risen.

harSon

Banned
How in the hell has this devolved into a negative thread? The piece mentions games multiple times, and why the hell wouldn't they mention their entertainment/television features of their platform considering it's relative to the topic? If they had closed down/sold development studios and then cited a focus on entertainment as the reason, then the backlash would be justified, but this PR piece is specific to the entertainment characteristics of the console so its natural that it would highlight information pertaining to this specific topic.

It's literally this with Microsoft right now:
MGXyhMu.jpg

Top Bottom