• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

Orca

Classy.

In an actual rational world, people read this as MS shifting focus on the Xbox.

In an "actual rational world", wouldn't people see this as the Xbox getting more content directed toward it from another division within the company and becoming a more important part of Microsoft's overall direction?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Announcement: we are going to add more features to your games console!

GAF: lol M$ dun have games anymoar

In a rational world, this would be good news. But not for the GAF neck beards!
GAF is being pretty consistent here. This is essentially the same reason that much of GAF derided the PS3 at first as well - for adding/designing components that serve purposes other than gaming primarily. The emphasis is on gaming first, anything else as a byproduct of that. Not rational enough for you, in a gaming forum?

Hoo-doo

Banned
What i'm reading is "We'll spend billions of dollars on features only available to US customers. Go fuck yourself, rest of the world!"

Busty

Banned
In an "actual rational world", wouldn't people see this as the Xbox getting more content directed toward it from another division within the company and becoming a more important part of Microsoft's overall direction?

When wasn't Xbox an 'important part of MS'? MS have been trying to achieve synergy their brands such as Xbox, Zune etc for years.

This isn't a rumor thread.

Exactly why I also mentioned posts also. This is in direct relation to what direction they are going to be going with on the Xbox and that doesn't even officially exist yet.

Microsoft is dedicating all TV resources to Xbox in a continued mission to make it the premium entertainment service that delivers all the games and entertainment consumers want – whether on a console, phone, PC or tablet.

Quote directly from the OP.

This directly impacts a device that doesn't 'officially exist' so yes, it can be considered a rumor thread.

Bgamer90

Banned
360 exclusives 2013: Gears of War Judgement.

PS3 exclusives 2013: Ni No Kuni, Sly Cooper, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us, Beyond, Pupeteer, Rain

Difference between MS and Sony in a nutshell.

And if one did a comparison 2012 games, MS would have the advantage; especially in terms of Fall releases.

Again, it's silly. Especially when number =/= quality in a person's opinion in the first place.

BigDug13

As keeps getting said, they don't give a shit about Sony now, Apple are their no.1 competitor, and an actual Apple TV is a real thing that will be coming at some point.

That scares MS shitless. They lost mobile to them, they are terrified of losing the living room.
App store, rentals, online-buying, PVR, cable services, thats the focus of the new xbox.

Sorry but MS IS going to lose that battle. A single purchase on the iTunes Store allows you to watch your shows on your iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV, and PC. Microsoft cant compete with that when they're unable to convince people to buy Windows 8 tablets and Windows phones. And selling a lot of Xboxes isn't going to start the ball rolling on people jumping ship away from google and apple at this stage in the game.

So they're throwing incredible weight and company focus on a feature that is already being destroyed. Apple TV is already real and already exists and it costs $99.

harSon

Banned
GAF is being pretty consistent here. This is essentially the same reason that much of GAF derided the PS3 at first as well - for adding/designing components that serve purposes other than gaming primarily. The emphasis is on gaming first, anything else as a byproduct of that. Not rational enough for you, in a gaming forum?

Components that add significantly to the cost you mean?

Only if you're completely oblivious or ignore the last couple of years.

Jadedx

Banned

Gaf derided ps3 initially because it cost 600 dollars and had no games, no rumble, and crappy online. back in 06/07 all sony gaf talked about was ps3s potential and how much they loved blu-ray movies.

Yup we know how it works.

They release 4 of their big franchises back to back including one only two weeks ago and it bu-bu-but what else?

They are publishing and releasing games on XBLA and it bu-bu-but that doesn't count because some of those may make it to PC.

Plus we know XBLA games don't count, only journey counts on PSN or if i's a multi like Walking Dead.

Standard.

Lots of XBLA "exclusives" are ending on PC. And MS first party output is getting worst each year, if you don't count Kinect games, which quite a few people aren't interested.

Bgamer90

Banned
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the name "Xbox" in favor of something more mains friendly. The "extreme videogame box" naming behind the original Xbox seems less relevant of a name.

1. That would be silly since the Xbox brand/name has a ton of popularity at this time.

2. The "Xbox" name still works since the "X" could be advertised as meaning various things.

Xbox = gamebox, TVbox, Moviebox, etc.

ultim8p00

Banned
Classy.

In an actual rational world, people read this as MS shifting focus on the Xbox.

How is this shifting focus? Did you read somewhere where they said they'd be dropping games support? That would be a shift. As it stands, it's an expansion, not a shift. But of course like I said, neck beards gonna get all up in arms about a strategy everyone saw coming since the first Xbox, all rational thought goes out the window

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
harSon said:
Components that add significantly to the cost you mean?
Partially that, but also more generally designing the system to be at least partially optimized around services other than gaming as the primary. Hence the rumored 3 out 8 gigs of RAM reserved for OS services, for example.

Jadedx said:
Gaf derided ps3 initially because it cost 600 dollars and had no games, no rumble, and crappy online. back in 06/07 all sony gaf talked about was ps3s potential and how much they loved blu-ray movies.
And why did it cost so much, why was it lacking on those other fronts you mentioned? Because Sony lost sight for a time of the primary gaming focus of these consoles. Because they were also trying to kickstart a brand new media delivery format with Bluray and win an impending format war with HDDVD that had nothing to do with gaming. And plenty here complained that they were doing it.

Xbox has taken over all MS entertainment branding. Its not getting dropped.

I do think Xbox Infinity fits the Windows 8 branding though.

Now I know why I don't come to this board anymore. It's...I don't even understand what the hell people are up-in-arms about. This is just weird.

there is other forums without them going nuts over this stuff, as a matter of fact making it the optional thing to do everything on is a pretty good thing gives you a reason to do something after you close down a game, most of the people on my xbox live are using it for netflix from what I've noticed.

AOC83

Banned
And if one did a comparison 2012 games, MS would have the advantage; especially in terms of Fall releases.

Again, it's silly. Especially when number =/= quality in a person's opinion in the first place.

Sony still released way more games than MS in 2012. We can argue about the quality of most of them (and Sony should be criticised for it) but not about the quantity and the effort made by Sony to offer gamers a diverse portfolio.

1. That would be silly since the Xbox brand/name has a ton of popularity at this time.

2. The "Xbox" name still works since the "X" could be advertised as meaning various things.

Xbox = gamebox, TVbox, Moviebox, etc.

3. Xbox is a consumer household name, one that's INSTANTLY recognizable for consumers all around the world.

But there's a very good chance that Microsoft will just call its next console "The Xbox" or "The Next Xbox" or "The New Xbox."

Busty

Banned

What's that got to do with anything?

JaggedSac

I had to look up smartglass. So it just interacts and controls what's on your TV, right? You can't actually watch your 360 media collection on the go separate from your TV? Because that's what they're going to need to have available in order to make their product seem equal to other media purchasing possibilities that are out there.

Probably one of the drivers of an always online requirement is so that these server type functions can be expected to be there. Of course they could be done without them, but I am sure that is one of the reasons. Expect to be able to stream movies(live, recorded), music, and games from the box to a litany of devices via LAN or across the internet. There will also probably be hooks for 3rd party applications to tie into as well so you could do some remote home automation or some such stuff.

Alx

The problem is that people fear that gaming will become a second thought on it.

Yeah, just like a first born kid is worried when his parents announce that he'll get a baby brother/sister... at that moment he will fear that he won't be loved any more, that his parents will abandon him and spend all their time with the new baby. So he throws a fit to get all the attention, shouts and cries and breaks everything in the room. Only months later will he realize that there's nothing wrong with being several brothers and sisters in a family (it's actually great), and that the older ones are not less loved.
I grew up in a family of 5 kids, and the scenario above never failed to happen.

Busty

Banned
Historically speaking, I think that means starting in 2015 or so, every year will be the 'year of the [whatever the next Xbox is called]'

Ahhh. I am already looking forward to the GIFs.

Yeah, just like a first born kid is worried when his parents announce that he'll get a baby brother/sister... at that moment he will fear that he won't be loved any more, that his parents will abandon him and spend all their time with the new baby. So he throws a fit to get all the attention, shouts and cries and breaks everything in the room. Only months later will he realize that there's nothing wrong with being several brothers and sisters in a family (it's actually great), and that the older ones are not less loved.
I grew up in a family of 5 kids, and the scenario above never failed to happen.

I see.

pixlexic

Banned
We knew even before the original Xbox launch that it's main purpose was to be a Trojan horse for the living room media service.

Hana-Bi

360 exclusives 2013: Gears of War Judgement.

PS3 exclusives 2013: Ni No Kuni, Sly Cooper, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us, Beyond, Pupeteer, Rain

Difference between MS and Sony in a nutshell.

I don't see a problem here. MS focus more on their next-gen console with their studios and Sony will split the efforts for current and next gen.

We have enough games through third party titles till the next-gen comes out.

BigDug13

Probably one of the drivers of an always online requirement is so that these server type functions can be expected to be there. Of course they could be done without them, but I am sure that is one of the reasons. Expect to be able to stream movies(live, recorded), music, and games from the box to a litany of devices via LAN or across the internet. There will also probably be hooks for 3rd party applications to tie into as well so you could do some remote home automation or some such stuff.

So unlike itunes where I can download media files to my idevice for OFFline use, MS will most likely not allow that.

Oh my god, the successor to the console with damn near every movie/TV subscription service on the planet is now Microsoft's #1 TV focus. How did it come to this?!

Why are people so surprised?

xbox720leakeddoc3.png

Stream games to any device? Goddamn, would be incredible if they could pull it off.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
These features are going to add to the cost, either directly to the cost of the console or indirectly to the cost of XBL.

And those features are going to be limited for those not in the US.

How, as a European gamer does any of that add value for me?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There might be a different way to look at this news...strikes me that there's a significant numbers comparison in the article...

Mediaroom has contributed to the evolution of TV and powers 22 million set-top boxes today in 11 million subscriber households.

And with 76 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world with 46 million Xbox LIVE members

I think it's intentional that they listed these numbers in quick succession for the notable market performance differential. The IPTV efforts weren't getting the kind of traction that the Xbox program was getting without any IPTV service. i.e. the xbox approach to media distribution seems to be the preferable one, so perhaps they're not trying to combine them, just taking the remaining resources from IPTV and transfer them over to xbox to help it do what it's already doing, not try to rebuild their IPTV solutions again. IMO, hopefully.

Jadedx

Banned
Partially that, but also more generally designing the system to be at least partially optimized around services other than gaming as the primary. Hence the rumored 3 out 8 gigs of RAM reserved for OS services, for example.

And why did it cost so much, why was it lacking on those other fronts you mentioned? Because Sony lost sight for a time of the primary gaming focus of these consoles. Because they were also trying to kickstart a brand new media delivery format with Bluray and win an impending format war with HDDVD that had nothing to do with gaming. And plenty here complained that they were doing it.

But MS has not lost focus on gaming, they have said multiple fucking times that they are focusing on core gamers. They opened up over 15 studios since 09, they dedicated over 300 million to core games, they have been hiring talented devs from ubi, ea, codemasters, naughty dog, etc.

As keeps getting said, they don't give a shit about Sony now, Apple are their no.1 competitor, and an actual Apple TV is a real thing that will be coming at some point.

Not that I disagree, but Nintendo said something similar when the Wii was revealed and everyone laughed at it.

"We're not competing directly with Sony and MS anymore."

Flash-forward to early 2007.

"We have the top-selling video game console on the market. Suck it, Sony & MS."

MS can say they are competing in a completely different sector all they want.
If their plan actually works (and it just very well might; after the cultural phenomenon sucess that was the Wii, nothing surprises me anymore), you can bet your ass they'll be grave-dancing anyone and everyone they can, especially Sony.

JaggedSac

So unlike itunes where I can download media files to my idevice for OFFline use, MS will most likely not allow that.

In that case, you wouldn't need to be streaming from the console if the media was already on the device. You would obviously need to have connectivity to the box to initially download the content(if the content was needing to be retrieved from the box and wasn't available from their cloud services).

bh7812

Banned

That scares MS shitless. They lost mobile to them, they are terrified of losing the living room.
App store, rentals, online-buying, PVR, cable services, thats the focus of the new xbox.

Exactly. Welllll at least it seems I was dead on with one of my predictions at least when I said there would be no ps4. I said the next Xbox will be a set top media box a la Apple TV. I knew that was going to happen. Do I think it's a very smart move? Yes. Am I against it? No. The more ways people have to access and buy media the better. I knew this would be getting the preliminary reaction it's getting. And what's more is this is basically the per-shitstorm. I'm not proud nor happy I was right on this. I knew 3 years ago this is where they'd end up. So, more so than a games console, this thing will be a serious second choice to think about for those that want a set top media box. I guess what I'll close my post with is be glad you're getting one true gaming console with the PS4. Though, ill be honest, I think as time goes on Sony will try to compete with this and add in more media features. As they say: lead, follow, or get outta the way. The latter two options don't seem to be microsofts goal. I still think Apple is going to do something very big and Microsoft knows it. Though not 100 percent sure yet it looks like I've been vindicated on one prediction and for that I'm sorry, Gaf.

Foffy

Banned
What i'm reading is "We'll spend billions of dollars on features only available to US customers. Go fuck yourself, rest of the world!"

Money made on consumer entertainment is mostly made in big ways in America, no? I think that at least explains Microsoft's strategy with Xbox 360, seeing as it died in other locations or lacked tons of features elsewhere.

Again, this means little if there are good games, but outside of Halo, will there be?

shandy706

I don't see a problem here. MS focus more on their next-gen console with their studios and Sony will split the efforts for current and next gen.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that believes this. The lack of "games/new IPs" the last year+ on the 360 is because they've been focusing on GAMES for launch for a long time.

Neokash

Neo Member
I wonder what Sony has up its sleeves in terms of delivering a Service to hardcore gamers. Integrating games and social media does not sound like a killer service.

tkscz

Got a small taste of that casual creme eh Microsoft? Well when comparing the sells of the 360 before and after it became mainly multimedia, I can't blame them.

Top Bottom