• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should become a third party publisher.

semicool

Banned
No, they make the superior console hardware.

Xbox OG, Xbox 360, Xbox 1x and now XSX are and were all superior to their counterparts.

The only MS console release that hasn't been was the Xbox One....because of the Don Mattrick virus.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
They basically are. I'm betting they will eventually sell all their games on all, but use GamePass as the incentive to own an Xbox, where you would get those certain games included.

Why would they leave potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on the table? Microsoft is embracing selling games all over the place. Why would they draw the line at Bethesda games?
Because they need to sell their console, they'd probably pay the price if that meant more competition IMO.

tryDEATH

God Damn it guys, its official MS is a 3rd Party Publisher. Someone make a new thread officially announcing it, because all the salty Sony Fanboys didn't just say it, but they declared it while crying.

New Trophy Unlocked
"The Beginning of a new Narrative"

MS is a 3rd Party Publisher from now on.​

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because they need to sell their console, they'd probably pay the price if that meant more competition IMO.

But uncle Phil said they don't care how many consoles they sell, they just want everyone to be able to play on any device they want. Let's see if that also applies to PS5...

But uncle Phil said they don't care how many consoles they sell, they just want everyone to be able to play on any device they want. Let's see if that also applies to PS5...
Like everything else, only if Sony allows it. They’re the only ones that don’t play nice in the sandbox. If they don’t watch out, they might become the sand as there appears to be a paradigm shift in the industry the way Microsoft is making moves. Sony is sticking to their tried and true method while Microsoft is paving the way of the future.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
Looks like MS are moving beyond simply XBox as a hardware platform. It really is an uphill battle against Sony and Nintendo. I mean, they only entered the console space as an attempt to get an OS strangle-hold in the lounge (they'd pretty much cornered the PC OS space).

If Sony were willing to have Gamepass on Playstation hardware, do you think MS would say no? They'd jump at the chance. They are fundamentally an OS/Software company. They see future platforms being software-based (whether that's an OS or even a Store/Walled-garden). The question is, do Sony..?

Im wondering when "Xbox" is fazed out, becasue no one really uses that term its always Gamepass now.

plip.plop

I wish Nintendo would go the third party route. They already make great experiences on lesser than hardware imagine them making games for Sony, MS, and PC? yikes!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Why would they leave potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on the table? Microsoft is embracing selling games all over the place. Why would they draw the line at Bethesda games?

Why does Sony leave potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on the table?

They should sell their games on PS5 for £100. Maybe after timed exclusively.

I would buy Forza Horizon and Flight Sim for that.

Not buying two consoles. No exclusives will change that.

Last edited:
Well, it's an interesting situation.

One one hand, all three console manufacturers would probably make way more money selling their games if they were multi-platform, and they do often lose money on actual console hardware sales ... On the other hand, some company has to build the hardware we play these games on, so even if all three console giants would step out from the console business, it would basically just make Nvidia and AMD the de-facto providers of gaming hardware and make them take over the living room gaming space with cheap gaming PCs ... Which might or might not be a bad thing depending on your perspective.

Still think Nintendo should get out of the console business. They've never been particularly good at attracting third party games on their platforms, and one can easily argue they would make way more money by offering their franchises on Sony and Microsoft platforms that forcing ppl to buy proprietary hardware each generation to pretty much only play Nintendo exclusives on. Besides, they always release dated hardware in terms of consoles anyway, plus they could still release gimmicky accessories for existing consoles if they wanted to...

Don't want Microsoft to be the sole provider of console's as they are already a scary PC monopoly that holds the bulk of the Computer market, and I really don't want them to take over yet another sector of digital entertainment. I suppose Sony could step down and only focus on releasing killer First Party Titles, but I still really don't want to be in a industry where Microsoft has full monopoly of PCs and Consoles, and I'll keep voting with my wallet to ensure this doesn't happen for as long as I can in hopes Microsoft will eventually give up on spending 10 Billion dollars each gen trying to coax customers to switch to their platforms.

Last edited:

RCU005

That and the Sony Bros tears alone are worth $7,000,000,000

Since I've seen many posts about Sony tears. Let me just remind you that Xbox fans get more salty about exclusivity than Sony fans. Remember Spiderman in avengers?

Many people say it's a dirty tactic, but I don't see that way. I only see it as dirty when you get game X on your console but then the sequel is exclusive to another console.

All other kinds of exclusivity are fine by me. You want to play the game, you buy the best console to play it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Like everything else, only if Sony allows it. They’re the only ones that don’t play nice in the sandbox. If they don’t watch out, they might become the sand as there appears to be a paradigm shift in the industry the way Microsoft is making moves. Sony is sticking to their tried and true method while Microsoft is paving the way of the future.

The way of the future is buying up huge publishers and creating a gaming monopoly?

EDMIX

No, they make the superior console hardware.

Xbox OG, Xbox 360, Xbox 1x and now XSX are and were all superior to their counterparts.

The only MS console release that hasn't been was the Xbox One....because of the Don Mattrick virus.

True, but for all we know in the future MS ends up just making both.

Making hardware and having gamepass on all devices, releases on all devices etc.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Who's talking about console sales? We're talking about what games are available on what platforms.
In order to be a monopoly you need to control the market. If you are getting outsold by your competitors you can’t be a monopoly.

Also their games are on more then one platform, and with Pc and multiple storefronts you are free to purchase the hardware and the software from where you’d like.

MS owning games and not putting them on a Sony console, while still putting them on other platforms does not a monopoly make.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
We all know Microsoft has very deep pockets to be able to buy huge publishers like Bethesda. However, buying a company with many huge IPs as them, put them in a difficult position. It shifts the entire industry towards a "monopolistic" practice.

They know they can't ignore the entire gamer-base, and it's not even convenient to them. Do you think they'd want to release Elder Scrolls 6 exclusively to Xbox and PC (specially if the PS5 sold more this gen, too)? Of course not! They will want to sell as many copies as possible, they'd want to sell as many copies as GTA if possible.

They already release Minecraft on Switch and PS4 because they know it's a huge franchise. They just acquired at least 5 huge franchises that can't possibly make exclusive to Xbox. It might have advantages to play them on Xbox by being on Gamepass and whatnot, but there is no way the could possibly make them exclusive.

Microsoft in this new generation, also doesn't care where you play their games. They even said they don't care if you buy an Xbox. So why not become a huge and successful 3rd party? They could benefit a lot by releasing their games also on Playstation, instead of everywhere BUT Playstation. The PS fanbase is very big, and they already have their games everywhere else.

In my opinion, I think that they are preparing to do just that. If gamepass becomes as successful as they want/need (and it's doing pretty well), they seem to be wanting to take a backseat and make games, and not consoles.

What do you think?

I think "Xbox has no games" so no need to turn 3rd party. Lol. Y'all MF's sumthin else bruh...

darthpaxton

Neo Member
Why does Netflix leave hundreds of millions of dollars not putting Stranger Things, Tiger King, House of Cards, and Ozark everywhere? They could sell them to HBO, ABC, NBC, Fox, Hulu, etc.

Obviously, we can't know what Microsoft's plans are for sure, but if you're preparing to play Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, or any other Bethesda game on anything other than Xbox or PC, you're setting yourself up for disappointment in a big, big way. You don't spend $7.5 billion on such a volatile industry as an investment. You do it because it makes strategic sense for your short and long term goals. Yes, they will be putting the games on GamePass, but if that was the goal, they could have just made a deal for Bethesda games on GamePass without assuming any of the risk. I think the "core" Bethesda experiences will be exclusive to Xbox and PC. You may see smaller projects and multiplayer/MMO/GaaS/F2P offerings everywhere, but they'll do that because it makes the most sense for their strategy (by boosting player counts and cashing in on microtransactions or mitigating the risk of an experimental project).

Everyone should become a third party publisher. Fuck exclusives, fuck consoles and set-top boxes.

We should just have games that run wherever possible, with a standard like we have for movies and other media.

Last edited:

Pallas

They kind of are already, I won’t list why since fellow gaffers have shown why. The thing is I’m curious about is how Microsoft will treat Switch/Switch 2(?) and the PS5, when Zenimax studios release games in the future that aren’t contractually obligated to release on other platforms.

Todd Howard was it? that said it’ll be a case by case thing about games releasing on non Xbox/pC consoles, right? Might be something akin to say Cuphead or Ori, release on other consoles at a much later day.

Last edited:
Looks like MS are moving beyond simply XBox as a hardware platform. It really is an uphill battle against Sony and Nintendo. I mean, they only entered the console space as an attempt to get an OS strangle-hold in the lounge (they'd pretty much cornered the PC OS space).

If Sony were willing to have Gamepass on Playstation hardware, do you think MS would say no? They'd jump at the chance. They are fundamentally an OS/Software company. They see future platforms being software-based (whether that's an OS or even a Store/Walled-garden). The question is, do Sony..?
Yes they would actually say no. Ms has actually a good thing with the Xbox brand, even the Xbox one will be at 55-60 million sold by the time the XSX comes out. Taking into account some previous failures in the consumer market (from mp3 players to mobile phones) where MS sunk a ton of money , the have actually built a brand with the Xbox.

The repercussions of basically giving Sony a monopoly in the home consoles business, by providing gamepass on the PlayStation, would be very dangerous for MS. What happens if Sony decides to change its demands 10 years after the Xbox brand is gone and the PS has a compete monopoly in the «boxes under the tv» market ?

Oh and if MS ignores the PS userbase, as the op whines about, why is Sony basically ignoring the gigantic PC userbase, giving it its scraps ? Why did they ignore the 90 million xbox360 userbase ?

This thread makes no sense at all, MS will built a huge 1st party staple (they already have) to provide the content to billions of people (Xbox, PC,mobile, smart TVs down the line e.t.c).

D.Final

Banned
Yes they would actually say no. Ms has actually a good thing with the Xbox brand, even the Xbox one will be at 55-60 million sold by the time the XSX comes out. Taking into account some previous failures in the consumer market (from mp3 players to mobile phones) where MS sunk a ton of money , the have actually built a brand with the Xbox.

The repercussions of basically giving Sony a monopoly in the home consoles business, by providing gamepass on the PlayStation, would be very dangerous for MS. What happens if Sony decides to change its demands 10 years after the Xbox brand is gone and the PS has a compete monopoly in the «boxes under the tv» market ?

Oh and if MS ignores the PS userbase, as the op whines about, why is Sony basically ignoring the gigantic PC userbase, giving it its scraps ? Why did they ignore the 90 million xbox360 userbase ?

This thread makes no sense at all, MS will built a huge 1st party staple (they already have) to provide the content to billions of people (Xbox, PC,mobile, smart TVs down the line e.t.c).

I agree

Top Bottom