• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should become a third party publisher.

Stuart360

First of all exclusives are something you want, as you dial into gaming it doesn’t matter if you have exclusives and suddenly you’re the Sega or Atari of gaming.
200.gif

RCU005

I swear this forum is the most cancerous Sony fanboy hive of the internet. How can Sony fanboys be so arrogant?

I guess it was ok when Sony cut deals to have bloodborne as an exclusive and leave the largest souls fanbase (PC) without the game right?

As a pc only gamer I don't like third parties being bought, money hats or exclusives but if these MS moves make Sony eat some humble pie this generation I will be happy.

Fuck japs and their walled gardens.

Why does everything have to be about Sony fanboys and being salty?

Why do you think Sega didn't disappear after the Dreamcast disaster? Because they had valuable IPs that they could still take advantage of and make a profitable business.

Microsoft is heading toward services. This is about how this scenario would work for Microsoft and the industry, not about being a Playstation fanboy.

Not all business deals are the same. Many people say, if Sony did this, why can't Microsoft? or viceversa.

Microsoft had a very poor generation this time around. IF, and only IF this time they don't sell as many consoles as Sony and Nintendo, they have many valuable IPs (now more so with Bethesda), so they would be a huge third party publisher, I think even bigger than Ubisoft and Activision.

Raphael

There probably wont be a ps6 and Xbox Whatever. In a few years they will move to offer game pass everywhere like netflix. Hardware wont be important to them it Will be a hinderence.

Its a fantastic strategy long term to focus on if you think about it.

Last edited:
AFAIK Minecraft is the only MS game on PlayStation. It was released on PlayStation before MS's Mojang acquisition, so of course they weren't about to remove it from the PS store. They seem to have a good relationships with Nintendo as they're not their direct competitors, which makes it more likely for select titles to be released on a Nintendo console.

There's 2 recent examples we can look at that might tell us what will happen to MS titles in the future. Hellblade came out first on PS4 then later on Xbox before or after the acquisition of Ninja Theory; I can't remember. But Hellblade 2 is console exclusive. The Outer Worlds from Obsidian also released on PS4 as it was already being made and announced as coming to PS4 before Obsidian's acquisition.

I understand the argument of wanting to sell more copies, more copies more money. But why doesn't Sony or even Nintendo do that too then? Because those games make gamers want to buy them consoles. Well, I believe it will be the same here, only not tied to hardware only. Gamepass, buy Gamepass and you shall play those games. I don't see it ever being on PlayStation but who knows. We now have cross-play between all consoles and earning achievements on a Nintendo console. If someone would have told me that 10 years ago I would have thought they're insane. lol

Last edited:

martino

AFAIK Minecraft is the only MS game on PlayStation. It was released on PlayStation before MS's Mojang acquisition, so of course they weren't about to remove it from the PS store. They seem to have a good relationships with Nintendo as they're not their direct competitors, which makes it more likely for select titles to be released on a Nintendo console.

There's 2 recent examples we can look at that might tell us what will happen to MS titles in the future. Hellblade came out first on PS4 then later on Xbox before or after the acquisition of Ninja Theory; I can't remember. But Hellblade 2 is console exclusive. The Outer Worlds from Obsidian also released on PS4 as it was already being made and announced as coming to PS4 before Obsidian's acquisition.

I understand the argument of wanting to sell more copies, more copies more money. But why doesn't Sony or even Nintendo do that too then? Because those games make gamers want to buy them consoles. Well, I believe it will be the same here, only not tied to hardware only. Gamepass, buy Gamepass and you shall play those games. I don't see it ever being on PlayStation but who knows. We now have cross-play between all consoles and earning achievements on a Nintendo console. If someone would have told me that 10 years ago I would have thought they're insane. lol
and minecraft dungeon then ?

Azurro

Banned
While I expect most if not all the Bethesda titles to be console exclusive to Xbox, I could see an argument that they can simply launch those titles day and date on PS5 and simply put those on Gamepass and go "look at all the value you are missing on that other console!".

and minecraft dungeon then ?

Forgot about that one and also forgot about making the Obsidian point regarding Avowed which is also console exclusive. Minecraft Dungeons might be the only exception but could be due to Minecraft already being on the platform. Don't know, guess we'll see.

Bryank75

Banned
There probably wont be a ps6 and Xbox Whatever. In a few years they will move to offer game pass everywhere like netflix. Hardware wont be important to them it Will be a hinderence.

There will be a PS6, are you mad?

PS5 is selling like crazy, there is more demand for it than back at the launch of PS4.

Xbox probably wont continue with hardware but that's cause they are not successful globally with hardware.

Rare Replay
Quite the stretch to qualify a compilation of games available on other, legacy platforms. But it qualifies, technically, even if it pre-dates the PaaS approach Xbox lives by. And it is telling that’s the closest thing there is to a device exclusive.

HUELEN10

Quite the stretch to qualify a compilation of games available on other, legacy platforms. But it qualifies, technically, even if it pre-dates the PaaS approach Xbox lives by. And it is telling that’s the closest thing there is to a device exclusive.
It has Battletoads Arcade, which has NEVER seen a home release prior or after.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
they KIND of are, some of their games that are 'exclusive' per console have released on the playstation, and well they release everything on pc meaning they technically have no exclusives anyways.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Why does everything have to be about Sony fanboys and being salty?

Why do you think Sega didn't disappear after the Dreamcast disaster? Because they had valuable IPs that they could still take advantage of and make a profitable business.

Microsoft is heading toward services. This is about how this scenario would work for Microsoft and the industry, not about being a Playstation fanboy.

Not all business deals are the same. Many people say, if Sony did this, why can't Microsoft? or viceversa.

Microsoft had a very poor generation this time around. IF, and only IF this time they don't sell as many consoles as Sony and Nintendo, they have many valuable IPs (now more so with Bethesda), so they would be a huge third party publisher, I think even bigger than Ubisoft and Activision.

I hope you are ok with Sony releasing their games on PC then. Honestly I hope consoles and exclusivities die in a fire but what pisses me off is that you do not see this reasoning with Sony and Nintendo. They too have very valuable IPs yet no one demands them to become a third party publisher.

To me all these threads read as damage control by Sony fanboys. Japs love exclusivities, walled gardens,outdated hw and moneyhatting. They got a taste of their own medicine with this. If anything I'd rather have MS make this kind of deals as you will be able to play their games almost anywhere.

Dumb japs still pretend you to buy their DRM box to play a couple of games as if we were in the 90s... to hell with that.

MH3M3D

They want you trapped in their eco system so you don't switch to another. Seems to be working for Apple.

I thought hardware didn't make sense for Microsoft from the beginning of the XBOX One. If they continue to acquire and grow at their current pace then it just solidifies my theory even further.

Megatron

Why would they leave potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on the table? Microsoft is embracing selling games all over the place. Why would they draw the line at Bethesda games?

Did you ever notice how MS never released Halo, Gears or Forzaon Playstation? Those would have sold great too. Companies like to have exclusives to draw you in to their ecosystem. Same reason why Sony and Nintendo don’t release on other consoles. MS released Ori because it’s a small game, not a system seller, and Minecraft because that deal was already done when they bought the ip.

It has Battletoads Arcade, which has NEVER seen a home release prior or after.
It had a cabinet, didn’t it? Therefore not exclusive. But more critically arguing for it undermines your premise: none of the games standalone in the compilation are exclusive, the compilation itself is, which by itself is a weak leg to stand on.

I digress, it’s not worth the energy.

FritzJ92

Why would they leave potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on the table? Microsoft is embracing selling games all over the place. Why would they draw the line at Bethesda games?
Using that logic don't you think they would then also sell Halo on PS5, then Sony is mission out on potential sales also and should start sellin 1p on Xbox...

RCU005

I hope you are ok with Sony releasing their games on PC then. Honestly I hope consoles and exclusivities die in a fire but what pisses me off is that you do not see this reasoning with Sony and Nintendo. They too have very valuable IPs yet no one demands them to become a third party publisher.

I don't care that Sony releases their games on PC. It's absurd to me that people get upset with that, specially when the games are years old. The difference though, is that Sony is doing it to bring more people to PlayStation, more than sell more copies.

There is no reasoning with Sony and Nintendo because they are industry leaders at the moment. If Sony was in Microsoft's place, we might be talking about them. If Nintendo had failed miserably with the Wii, after failing with the Gamecube, everyone would've been talking about Sony or someone buying them out.

Also, Microsoft's current strategy fits perfectly to be a third party publisher. Like some people have also said, they want to put games in PC, Switch, mobiles, but not Playstation. They'd make even more money putting those games on Playstation if the PS5 gets a huge install base as the PS4 did. Also, there are markets, like Japan, that Microsoft hasn't been able to reach, and they could do that by putting their games on PlayStation and/or Nintendo.

The idea of Xbox games pass (Xcloud) on PS5 and Switch would be great, but I don't know how that would work out, though.

Reindeer

For the same reason you won't see Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, Avowed, Hellblade and other franchises on PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orky

Banned
Sony should become a third party publisher.

They know they can't ignore the entire gamer-base, and it's not even convenient to them. Do you think they'd want to release The Last of Us 3 exclusively to Playstation? Of course not! They will want to sell as many copies as possible, they'd want to sell as many copies as GTA if possible.

They already released Horizon Zero Dawn on PC because they know their franchises are huge...

especially since MS produces much better hardware now than Sony, just look at the size of XSX compared to PS5 and how XSX even has a much more powerful GPU. It’s crazy.

Mister Wolf

Why does Nintendo leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table?

Jboemios

Banned
There will be a PS6, are you mad?

PS5 is selling like crazy, there is more demand for it than back at the launch of PS4.

Xbox probably wont continue with hardware but that's cause they are not successful globally with hardware.
Seriusly, ponys dont learn

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't think so, they are needed to keep the market competitive. If you really really want to play their games, there are methods open to you.

Brofist

I don't care that Sony releases their games on PC. It's absurd to me that people get upset with that, specially when the games are years old. The difference though, is that Sony is doing it to bring more people to PlayStation, more than sell more copies.

There is no reasoning with Sony and Nintendo because they are industry leaders at the moment. If Sony was in Microsoft's place, we might be talking about them. If Nintendo had failed miserably with the Wii, after failing with the Gamecube, everyone would've been talking about Sony or someone buying them out.

Also, Microsoft's current strategy fits perfectly to be a third party publisher. Like some people have also said, they want to put games in PC, Switch, mobiles, but not Playstation. They'd make even more money putting those games on Playstation if the PS5 gets a huge install base as the PS4 did. Also, there are markets, like Japan, that Microsoft hasn't been able to reach, and they could do that by putting their games on PlayStation and/or Nintendo.

The idea of Xbox games pass (Xcloud) on PS5 and Switch would be great, but I don't know how that would work out, though.

They are releasing 2 pieces of new hardware in a couple months. Your delusional fantasies aren't close to grounded in reality.

oldergamer

Not this stupid discussion again? its not happening. Give it up. i'd rather have Xbox making hardware as we can see they have improved drastically.

Veysetia

Its a market they don't understand or have any information on, typically companies will focus on things they have knowledge on and are good at or have the infrastructure to support, M$ has none of this, thats not only an initial loss for them, but a sustained loss for several years while they work out the kinks. Imagine pitching this idea to an exec "i have this idea that could go right if the stars align and make you a ton of money, but only under these perfect circumstances and anything less than that means we will lose a lot of money, you game?" I dont see that going over

People gotta get over this I mean it's done end of it still doesn't change Sony's standing in the console race zero games have been announced from this acquisition yet as exclusives and Xbox had as many exclusive games releasing as they did before the acquisition what's changed for any Sony fan right at this moment? let's wait and see ... People are forgetting ms are taking a risk buying multiplats as exclusives for as much as 7bill it's not a given they will draw the numbers they want from the ps user pool the ball is now in Sony's court it's a competition after all .

DrAspirino

Banned

Exactly, like Surface laptops. Sure, you can use Windows on every PC, but Surface laptops are the reference standard for manufacturers.

Or like Office 365, which is now the standard version of Office they sell and make very, VERY difficult for bussinesses to buy individual licenses for Office 2016 or 2019 instead of subscriptions.

Reindeer

When Sony guys think Bethesda games are coming to PS5 while ignoring that almost all other major Microsoft games except for Minecraft are not on PlayStation, lol. They might make exceptions for mega franchises like Elder Scrolls like they did for Minecraft, but thinking all future Bethesda games are coming to PS5 is wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart360

Why does Nintendo leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table?
If Microsoft ever intended to release games on Playstation, Halo MCC, their flagship game series, would already be on PS4. Just looking at MCC on Steam, it has near 110k user reviews in 9 months, and Steam Spy used to show that on average 1-2 users out of 100 will post a user review, so yeah do the math.
Hell Sea of Thieves, 3 months on Steam, 64k user reviews, and this is while both games have been on Gamepass for ages.
You want another comparison, Assassins Creed Odyssey, which was in the top 10 biggest selling games of the year last year, 60k user reviews, and 2 years old.

These games would probably sell huge on Playstation, but they havent been released, why?.
People can hold on the Minecraft lifeline but there were reasons for that, including the game already being on Playstation before they were bought.

VAVA Mk2

We all know Microsoft has very deep pockets to be able to buy huge publishers like Bethesda. However, buying a company with many huge IPs as them, put them in a difficult position. It shifts the entire industry towards a "monopolistic" practice.

They know they can't ignore the entire gamer-base, and it's not even convenient to them. Do you think they'd want to release Elder Scrolls 6 exclusively to Xbox and PC (specially if the PS5 sold more this gen, too)? Of course not! They will want to sell as many copies as possible, they'd want to sell as many copies as GTA if possible.

They already release Minecraft on Switch and PS4 because they know it's a huge franchise. They just acquired at least 5 huge franchises that can't possibly make exclusive to Xbox. It might have advantages to play them on Xbox by being on Gamepass and whatnot, but there is no way the could possibly make them exclusive.

Microsoft in this new generation, also doesn't care where you play their games. They even said they don't care if you buy an Xbox. So why not become a huge and successful 3rd party? They could benefit a lot by releasing their games also on Playstation, instead of everywhere BUT Playstation. The PS fanbase is very big, and they already have their games everywhere else.

In my opinion, I think that they are preparing to do just that. If gamepass becomes as successful as they want/need (and it's doing pretty well), they seem to be wanting to take a backseat and make games, and not consoles.

What do you think?
Sounds like you don't want to have to buy more hardware.

Mister Wolf

If Microsoft ever intended to release games on Playstation, Halo MCC, their flagship game series, would already be on PS4. Just looking at MCC on Steam, it has near 110k user reviews in 9 months, and Steam Spy used to show that on average 1-2 users out of 100 will post a user review, so yeah do the math.
Hell Sea of Thieves, 3 months on Steam, 64k user reviews, and this is while both games have been on Gamepass for ages.
You want another comparison, Assassins Creed Odyssey, which was in the top 10 biggest selling games of the year last year, 60k user reviews, and 2 years old.

These games would probably sell huge on Playstation, but they havent been released, why?.
People can hold on the Minecraft lifeline but there were reasons for that, including the game already being on Playstation before they were bought.

I'm already knowing. Phil saying "case by case" is his nice way of saying no and avoiding the crying and backlash of Sony fans and shill journalists by giving them a false sense of hope.

PhaseJump

Banned
Actually, I'm not salty. I've only purchased two Bethesnda games: Oblivion, which I stopped playing 3 hours in because I didn't like it, and Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I did like a lot.

I made this thread, because I think it would be great for gamers and convenient for Microsoft. Like everyone says, they already publish their games everywhere, so they are more in a mentality of "everywhere but PS", so if they became a true third party publisher, they'd be very successful.

"True" third party, eh? Foolish. I'm sure Microsoft knows how and where to market their games and achieve "successful" status.

Following this "true" logic though, what has been keeping Square Enix's JRPGs exclusively from Xbox release? Are they not "true" third party? Could it be that these toys have a target audience to consider?

/s

JCK75

So buying up studios and properties is only a problem with Microsoft does it.
I don't mind it because I can play Halo, Forza and Gears of War on PC.... wish I could say the same for the latest Spider-Man game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom