• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should make a portable Xbox One.

JLB

Banned
Seriously! All I want is an Xbox controller that can split in half and look like a pair of JoyCons. I could throw that on a small tablet and be set. Either that, or they put the app on the Switch. That would work too.

Indeed. Gp + switch its a win win for both ms and nintendo, specially now that nintendo is out of the classic console business.

JimiNutz

Banned
There is def room for portable consoles from both Sony and MS they just need to learn from the Switch.

The portable consoles must share the same library as the main console. Clearly this wouldn't be possible with PS4 and Xbox One which is why only the XBLA and PSN games would work on the portable. I'm talking games like:

Celeste
Inside
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley
Ori
Minecraft
Thumper
Resogun
Alienation

The list goes on and on (each console literally has hundreds of these games on their platform already along with exclusives as well).

If you own the games already you can pay a small fee for the portable version (save data will carry over from your main console also).

The portable console would be digital only no physical media.

With streaming on the horizon, now would be a perfect time for the big 3 to become serious about handhelds.

To think, we had a handheld war between sega and nintendo and then Sony, back in a time when the technology wasn't really there.

Playing my gamepass games on a dedicated xbox handheld would be sweet.

Imo, lockhart is a handheld device.

NeilH1982

Banned
I'm going to repeat myself from the xbox-PC thread, which was equally well thought out :

With the advent of Xcloud, WHY ??

Any portable device is going to be an Xbox, and many non-portable devices too

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
xCloud is not an option for everyone.
Ya but they cost about $2000 here in Canada, no way anybody is paying anywhere near that for a portable Xbox One.
OG Xbox One APU is probably way cheaper then whatever is inside current Surface Pro. Maybe with Surface Go 2 they can design it Xbox One APU instead.

That's why you can link your Xbox one controller to any BT compatible device. All you need is a Gameclip for your phone or perhaps a stand for your tablet.

Which is a cool feature, I do similar with the Vita+DS4 to play emulators.

If we're talking about convenience of streaming and 'play anywhere', it works against itself' to carry a pad, a tablet and a clip around.

Something that slides in to your pocket or that's easy to carry around, like a Vita or GB (dimensions wise, not weight etc) would be preferable.

Each to their own i suppose.

Quasicat

Imo, lockhart is a handheld device.

I never thought of this being a thing, but this would be my Xbox of choice next gen if they put this into a dock with HDMI out. I just figured Lockhart was dropped and they put the streaming app on the Xbox One. With the S and the X having the ability to use a 4K signal, they could take the place of a dedicated streaming box...at least for the first couple of years.

AbZeroNow

Neo Member
Microsoft should stick to consoles. Handheld is a completely different beast and I don't think they would be able to outcompete mobile and Nintendo.

They do Op.

It's called Xcloud+Smartphone/Laptop.

No one is making dedicated handhelds anymore, they don't bring in the cash, even Nintendo abandoned it for a compromise although the Switch Lite kind of confuses that issue.

If they were to make a nw handheld it would be a windows 10 x powered multimedia device that wouldn't really be a console with a digital store. As i doubt ATT and Verizon will stock SD card games in their stores.

Codes 208

With the focus on xcloud and multiple devices im surprised they havent.

it would already automatically have better (non-indie) support than the vita.

wipeout364

I disagree I think they have their hand full trying to run Xbox/Gamepass/Xcloud, just wait a couple of years and Xcloud will let you stream the complete library to whatever you want. Streaming will be the end of the dedicated handheld in the next 10 years IMO. Once 5G causes data costs to tank people won't even think twice about streaming games on their phone and carrying a proper controller with them.

Dane

Making a portable system is a different story OP, Switch is the most powerful mobile gaming device to this day IIRC, you can't simply stuff a PC CPU and GPU into that size without an expensive method of cooling and limitations of engineering. Plus, that Surface costs +800 bucks

Last edited:
If you're streaming direct to the handheld, you don't need top of the range CPU/GPU inside it. Just enough to play games in basic 720p (On a 4k screen and small form factor, would look good anyway).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Considering the Xbox One didn't exactly light the world on fire, I don't know why they wold go down this route.

There is def room for portable consoles from both Sony and MS they just need to learn from the Switch.

The portable consoles must share the same library as the main console. Clearly this wouldn't be possible with PS4 and Xbox One which is why only the XBLA and PSN games would work on the portable. I'm talking games like:

How would this work? Celeste is using the same hardware, SDKs, etc. as RDR2.

rrice64

Neo Member
you likely already have one. sign up for the xcloud beta or wait for full release, get a phone clip to attach to your controller, and grab a carrying case. done deal.

Always wished MS made an Xbox Portable... But the market shows that Nintendo and mobile dominant.. Hits me right in the soul when Sony abandoned the Vita. Maybe MS was too smart not to enter this territory.

Leonidas

Zune HD should have been a portable Xbox.

Like the Switch the Zune HD used a Tegra processor (much older version obviously) and had a version of Project Gotham that looked better than anything Nintendo was doing at the time.

Sadly the device had no physical controller so it's gaming prowess was never realized.

There's no need for it. Streaming will take care of that.
And I don't think they can compete against Nintendo in the handheld market.

Streaming will alway be inferior to Local hardware
I agree 100%
.But from Microsofts perspective, it makes no sense to make a handheld console. Streaming on the other hand, they have the infrastructure, money, etc. Plus they never really any luck with any of their mobile stuff. Except laptops.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Celeste
Inside
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley
Ori
Minecraft
Thumper
Resogun
Alienation

So.... a PS Vita?

93xfan

Banned
Streaming will alway be inferior to Local hardware
I 100% agree steaming is inferior.

The Xbox One is old tech by this point though. Who in their right mind wants a portable version of this when a new gen is nearly here?

Streaming is a reasonable compromise for when you want to play on the go every now and then.

Me personally, I’d save shooters, platformers, fighters, etc for when I’m at home.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

The Xbox One is old tech by this point though. Who in their right mind wants a portable version of this when a new gen is nearly here?

Streaming is a reasonable compromise for when you want to play on the go every now and then.

Me personally, I’d save shooters, platformers, fighters, etc for when I’m at home.
Anything that is not AAA will still release on Xbox One though. Series X is just a Xbox One with much better specs.

Vawn

Banned

Is it going to be WiFi only or paid 4G? Vita had PS Now support, but it never caught on. I don't see this catching on with Xbox either.

Top Bottom