• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Store accidentally push incorrect Forza Horizon 3 update, corrupts saves

This is why I never have auto-update enabled. Sucks for those affected by this. =/

It's really no different than any other store and can be turned off.

To be fair, this looks like a fuck up by the dev studio, not the store.

I mean, the huge difference would be that with other clients I either opt in to auto log on or opt out, so while the downloads will begin by default I have control over whether or not to run the client at all. This is not the case with the W10 store.

It's nice to know I can turn it off though.

And yet other people quite like auto updates as it means you're always ready to play.

Lucky for you it's trivial to turn off and on and appears to be off by default based on this wording:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15081/windows-turn-on-automatic-app-updates

Again it's not a matter of auto updates being the issue, it's the matter of auto updates being in a program that auto runs with no way out of it. I shall be turning that off though.

LilJoka

Sucks for anyone affected. As for performance since first patch I have has no issues and the game runs great for me on both my PCs. Sucks people still having issues.

My desktop is a i7 6800k with dual 1080s. 1440p unlocked framerate is a great experience.
My laptop is an i7 with gtx1060 6gb. 1080p unlocked framerate runs great.

Full disclosure both screens have Gsync monitors so maybe that just smooths out the experience for me.

Definitely g sync is your saviour.
Turn it off and you'll notice exactly why everyone says it stutters, unless locked at 30fps :(

_woLf

I'd like some kind of compensation since they're dead set on making me hit my data cap.

Incompetent fucks.

Auto updates are definitely on by default as I just had to turn them off manually. Thankfully not using my PC much today has saved me from this nonsense and I'm still on the previous version.

Really sucks for anyone who isn't. and yeah, this port is pretty bad. even beyond general framerate issues it's crashed on me three times in about five hours of play time so that's not a great sign.

for comparison's sake the Gears 4 port seems pretty excellent so far so it's not like every Xbox One port is this bad thankfully.

KageMaru

I mean, the huge difference would be that with other clients I either opt in to auto log on or opt out, so while the downloads will begin by default I have control over whether or not to run the client at all. This is not the case with the W10 store.

It's nice to know I can turn it off though. How exactly do you do that by the way?

I still don't see the big deal. You can opt to have auto-updates turned off and never touch the store. The store doesn't run like a full on client like other stores. AFAIK it's only in use when I launch it.

dsk1210

Surely the Windows certification process should have shown this up?

What's the fucking point if they still have to wait 2 weeks to relates a patch for certification and still release the wrong one?

Playstation Underground put a disc out with a Viewtiful Joe demo that completely wiped all memory cards in the system.

During the game's release in North America, Capcom and IGN held the "Be More Viewtiful! Sweepstakes", a contest in which entrants could win merchandise including either version of the game, a t-shirt with an "HMD" design, a skateboard, and a Viewtiful Joe 2 strategy guide by BradyGames.[ A desktop LCD clock was also released by Capcom during the game's North American debut. A demo of Viewtiful Joe 2 featured on North American PS2 preview discs made news when it was reported that playing the demo would cause a bug to completely erase all data on any inserted memory cards. Sony Computer Entertainment of America issued an apology and gave those affected a choice between several lesser-rated, previously released titles.

Source: wiki
Fuck A, I'd be raging if I lost saves from GTA, or a long as hell jrpg over something ridiculous like that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Was working at home today so I probably got hit buy this since the of was on. ��

Edit:Nope. Mines at the version ending with 35.2 so I don't have to uninstall.

Pjsprojects

Unless you have a top of the line CPU it's full of stuttering and framerate drops regardless of what your graphical settings are.

It's a shame too, because the game itself is so dope.

e: Looks like Windows 10 never auto-patched my game so I'm in the clear. Whew.

I don't have a top end cpu and have never had stuttering??
Is it only certain cpu's effected?

madjoki

This is a super dumb mistake and I'm not making any excuses for it, but I'd love to hear somebody explain how this is somehow a Windows Store issue. What's special about the Windows Store which makes putting up the wrong version a problem that we wouldn't have seen with Origin, Uplay, etc.?

Just about everyone else does delta-patches (only download modified parts)

You'd just have to only download actual changes, so likely binaries only, ie. few megabytes.

Phinor

That said I don't feel this really has anything to do with the Windows Store. (Sorry, GAF!) Somebody put up the wrong version of the game, theoretically that could happen anywhere, right? There's nothing Windows Store-exclusive to this disaster.

Most competent gaming services can apply rollbacks on updates / apply older updates back. If the Store can't do this and the recommended way is to uninstall and re-install the whole game, that's just not good service and can just as well be considered another Windows Store disaster. Releasing wrong patch is something that happens every now and then but it shouldn't be a big issue to fix that.

Unfortunate how their efforts for PC gaming are being crippled again and again. Rise of the Tomb Raider released a year ago and while they have added some nice features to Windows Store/UWP since (still no proper wheel support though! only specific wheels supported which isn't good enough), the platform is still struggling even with core services, the most basic features you should have.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Junk port with junk support. Massively disappointed in this one as I'd played it on a friend's Xbox One and thought the game was super neat (and weirdly comfy given the familiar Australian setting). Foolishly didn't do the research and found out the hard way that the PC port is plagued with stuttering issues even on super high end hardware like mine. Stuff like this just drives home what a cockup this otherwise great game is on PC.

I'm actually really fascinated as to what exactly causes issues like this that are less common on consoles, as it's not overly unusual with open world games. Where on consoles the famerate will simply be inconsistently shitty, sometimes input lag (I know Forza doesn't have either of these things on Xbox, which is great), with PC it's usually a case of asset streaming stuttering. If I crank up the details in The Witcher 3 beyond standard Ultra (like increasing draw distance of foliage beyond normal) the issue sometimes pops up too, exactly the same as Forza; weird incremental stuttering.

It's like the CPU cycles get fucked up with draw calls or something.

dLMN8R

You'd just have to only download actual changes, so likely binaries only, ie. few megabytes.

This is exactly how the Windows Store works too.

There was a bug when ReCore launched where delta updates were broken, but that was fixed quickly.

The 53GB download in this case is not because of a delta update bug. It's because the entirely wrong thing was published to the store.

louiedog

I had an i5 4670k and a GTX 1070 and had stuttering. Now I have an i7 6700k and a GTX 1080 and I still have stuttering. This game has performed poorly for me since day 1

I'm not getting stuttering on my 4690k and 1070. I wonder what causes it since our hardware is so similar.

gossi

Surely the Windows certification process should have shown this up?

What's the fucking point if they still have to wait 2 weeks to relates a patch for certification and still release the wrong one?

Indeed, Microsoft have a week patch process (rushed) or two week (standard) where they certify updates. Clearly, something went wrong as the development version (it even supports Mods!) made it through.

In the case of Steam, they support multiple branches (e.g. Development etc) and delta rollbacks. Windows Store does not. Thems the facts. I am pro multiple stores, but Microsoft have got to make sure this kind of thing doesn't keep happening.

anddo0

Booted the game and seems to be fine..

What a mess this has been though. It's stopped me from purchasing other games from the store.

This is on a per game basis. I still have problems with Total Warhammer on Steam running its updates because it wants an obscene amount of empty space on my SSD. Most Forza updates have been small in size for me, basically the new content. I'm not sure if they actually do delta-patches or they were just smart with their file setup.

But I don't think that matters here. The issue is that Microsoft put a totally different game up on the store. (When it started downloading on my PC -- I noticed because suddenly my SSD was full -- all of these files were in a totally different directory, with my old Forza game folder untouched.) I don't see how Steam, Origin, etc. protect from a developer mistake like this.

We should hold the developers and publisher responsible for this, it's an embarrassing screw-up, but best I can tell there's nothing uniquely Windows Store about it.
Most competent gaming services can apply rollbacks on updates / apply older updates back. If the Store can't do this and the recommended way is to uninstall and re-install the whole game, that's just not good service and can just as well be considered another Windows Store disaster. Releasing wrong patch is something that happens every now and then but it shouldn't be a big issue to fix that.

Unfortunate how their efforts for PC gaming are being crippled again and again. Rise of the Tomb Raider released a year ago and while they have added some nice features to Windows Store/UWP since (still no proper wheel support though! only specific wheels supported which isn't good enough), the platform is still struggling even with core services, the most basic features you should have.
Again, I'm not convinced this is 95% the same game as the default version (where what you're saying would make sense). The files were unencrypted, something not true of the release version. This isn't just a wrong patch -- otherwise it would have been a few gigs like previous updates -- this is an entirely wrong game.

Phinor

There was a bug when ReCore launched where delta updates were broken, but that was fixed quickly.

The 53GB download in this case is not because of a delta update bug. 

Is delta patching optional feature / when was it fixed? Because back when I had Gears 4 installed, the patch required roughly as much free hard drive space as the game itself was, it made a copy of itself during patching and deleted files afterwards. I remember people noticing the same with early FH3 patches as well? Or am I thinking of something else.. hmm.

I still don't see the big deal. You can opt to have auto-updates turned off and never touch the store. The store doesn't run like a full on client like other stores. AFAIK it's only in use when I launch it.

According to others here it begins to download whether you open the store or not, which could leave people unaware of what is siphoning their bandwidth, especially the less savvy. I admit it's a minor issue to me since I'll just not use it much if at all and disable auto updates. But that doesn't mean the average user isn't going to be downloading stuff off the store and then wondering why their internet is running slow, or possibly even going over their data cap whilst unaware.

I'm sure it brings up a minor pop up in the corner after it's done, but I can't remember right now if you even get a notification to let you know a download has started.

Hip Hop

how to check what version are we on?

I never got the download, but the again, my PC was off.

I just played the game fine.

dLMN8R

Is delta patching optional feature / when was it fixed? Because back when I had Gears 4 installed, the patch required roughly as much free hard drive space as the game itself was, it made a copy of itself during patching and deleted files afterwards. I remember people noticing the same with early FH3 patches as well? Or am I thinking of something else.. hmm.

Completely different things which appear related.

1) What's the download size? The download size of delta updates should be small. Usually they are. For Gears, Forza, ReCore, Killer Instinct, and all other games, update download are indeed very small and proportional depending on how much they changed.

2) How much free space do you need because of file copies? There was an issue specifically for Gears which inadvertently required a lot of free space for file copies, and the issue didn't affect Forza or other games due to differences in how they're individually structured. Due to the way different updates were structured, that file copy issue only happened for the first update the Gears team released, not any of their subsequent updates

Delta updating is automatically enforced by the entire platform for all UWP games and
"metro-style" apps going all the way back to the first ever version of Windows 8. It's not an optional feature.

madjoki

This is on a per game basis. I still have problems with Total Warhammer on Steam running its updates because it wants an obscene amount of empty space on my SSD. Most Forza updates have been small in size for me, basically the new content. I'm not sure if they actually do delta-patches or they were just smart with their file setup.

I think problem is that Steam writes new copy of file (because of delta patches old data can't be removed, since it's required to construct new file).

This becomes problem when games use have huge files.

There was a bug when ReCore launched where delta updates were broken, but that was fixed quickly.

The 53GB download in this case is not because of a delta update bug. It's because the entirely wrong thing was published to the store.

There's no reason downgrades couldn't use deltapatches. Most of data is likely 99% of same.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
how to check what version are we on?

I never got the download, but the again, my PC was off.

I just played the game fine.

It's on the bottom left corner of the first menu screen (where you select continue to load your game).

Flunkie

Banned
Nearly impossible to get a stable framerate over 30fps regardless of hardware, for example, random dips from 60 to 20 on a 980 for no reason at all

Horrible input lag when locked to 30fps so that's not really a good option either

So you're left with stutter city or lagcity. Choose one!
I choose no longer supporting them and their poor business practices like releasing an expansion (that isn't included in the "ultimate edition") before fixing the game on an important and marketed platform.

rrs

There's no reason downgrades couldn't use deltapatches. Most of data is likely 99% of same.
the problem with that is that most likely the delta difference between encrypted files and normal files from this dev update is larger than just downloading the encrypted file

dLMN8R

The busted update was 53GB because 53GB of data was different.

If you're in the small percentage of customers who got the busted update, then a delta "downgrade" wouldn't work because it's still 53GB of data that is different.

LostDonkey

Haven't used my PC today but it has been on. Guess it did it auto. Re downloading now, been meaning to put it on my ssd so....

Somehow my system managed to avoid 37.2. Thank god. I don't really know why I still have it installed, though, it's an awful port. Like, how is it that Arkham Knight resulted in WB pulling the game from online stores and refunding anyone who wanted the game out of their libraries, but Forza Horizon 3 seemingly gets a pass?

I'm not buying another Forza on PC until Microsoft can demonstrate some basic competence in this area. Telling people they need to delete their entire game and re-download is not that.

KageMaru

According to others here it begins to download whether you open the store or not, which could leave people unaware of what is siphoning their bandwidth, especially the less savvy. I admit it's a minor issue to me since I'll just not use it much if at all and disable auto updates. But that doesn't mean the average user isn't going to be downloading stuff off the store and then wondering why their internet is running slow, or possibly even going over their data cap whilst unaware.

I'm sure it brings up a minor pop up in the corner after it's done, but I can't remember right now if you even get a notification to let you know a download has started.

The less savvy are likely to run into similar issues with other stores too. Steam originally started for me at boot up and update my games, a less savvy person will likely have the same problems in that scenario.

For the record, even though I've had zero issues with the store, I'm not ignorant to the problems present with it. I just see this instance as more of a fuck up on the developers and not the store itself. Implementing a roll back feature is sorely needed for the store though for these kinds of occasions.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wish they'd just give up and release everything on Steam. Give us options, and let those who love Windows Store use it.

I choose no longer supporting them and their poor business practices like releasing an expansion (that isn't included in the "ultimate edition") before fixing the game on an important and marketed platform.

Your fault for buying the Ultimate Edition when you should have bought the Super Complete Platinum Deluxe Edition

It's really clear

For those saying the port is awful, does that mean I should play it on my Xbox One instead of my gaming PC with a GTX 1060? I have yet to download it, but don't want to download it twice either to find out which system to play it on.

Runs like shit.

One of the worst ports of last year, and it's only gotten worse since launch.

For me at least, it runs much better and doesn't crash every ten minutes any more. And I bitched about this game a lot (as the guy with the penguin avatar likes to point out every chance he gets) I even refunded it, but decided to put myself through the hell that is Windows Store again when it was on sale and until this point haven't had an issue besides some really dumb wheel implementation in Microsoft's flagship racing game.

The fact wheel implementation problems in a racing game is the least of my troubles should tell you how fucked this game has been (and still is) on PC.

anddo0

Yeah, very shady. I got the UE as well. Now you're asking for an additional $19.99 just a few months later? Can't believe the game still isn't fixed.

TheYanger

It really doesn't have anything to do with the windows store though... some people will latch onto anything to further their agendas.

I wish they'd just give up and release everything on Steam. Give us options, and let those who love Windows Store use it.

Like this shit. what would releasing the same fucked version of the game on Steam prevented exactly? Nothing.

LostDonkey

Something called Opus Profile appeared on my start menu before I uninstalled. What's that?

Might have spelled it wrong can't remember now lol

Top Bottom