• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Store accidentally push incorrect Forza Horizon 3 update, corrupts saves

outsida

Ugh if I lose all of my progress I'm gonna be pretty pissed. I wanted to start the game over because some of my achievements based on the festivals didn't pop because some services weren't running on my PC before. But I'd like to restart on my own terms... Not like this.

MS needs to have The Coalition go to every one of their 1st party studios and show them how to port games to PC.

Then they need to send them to the W10 Store team and find out wtf is going on.

MS needs to have The Coalition go to every one of their 1st party studios and show them how to port games to PC.

Then they need to send them to the W10 Store team and find out wtf is going on.

Build your game on Unreal 4 instead of a proprietary engine designed around the Xbox One.

That's quite interesting because as I write this, the last update from the community manager stated that they are still investigating the cause.

If you've discovered the cause yourself, you should probably let them know if you haven't already - it would likely help them resolve it as quick as they can!

I can guarantee you that it's not because Windows Store suddenly became sentient.

Head.spawn

I can guarantee you that it's not because Windows Store suddenly became sentient.

tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif

I'm not saying it was Cortana.. but, it was Cortana.

1.) Who said the Windows Store became sentient?
2.) This post gives a 'guarantee' of one possible cause that is not to blame for this issue. That's quite a climb-down from your previous post where you ruled out all but one cause(s).

1.) Who said the Windows Store became sentient?
2.) This post gives a 'guarantee' of one possible cause that is not to blame for this issue. That's quite a climb-down from your previous post where you ruled out all but one cause(s).

Oh boy, you got me.

Windows Store must have just up and decided to shit on everyone's day by pushing out a bad update all by itself. Damn you, Windows Store. Why you gotta do that to people?

RedSwirl

So my version is still 35.2. Is there I way to tell individual UWP games not to update automatically? I only see the universal switch.

rrs

look, I'm all but certain if the accidental debug release had used encrypted files that it would be possible to delta downgrade. However, since the decrypted and encrypted files are completely different in structure, there's no option to really fix it short of MS handing out a file encoder which isn't happening ever.

does this whole mess make the winstore look bad? yes, but this accident could just as had easily happened on steam (remember the psychonaughts dev docs leak a few years back?), or anywhere else

So my version is still 35.2. Is there I way to tell individual UWP games not to update automatically? I only see the universal switch.
don't think so, but if you just got 35.2 you are fine

Reductio ad absurdum obviously isn't getting my point across, so I'll just come right out and ask.

You seriously don't think this could be the result of human error?
I'm not an expert on 'Reductio ad absurdum' so I'll defer to your superiority there.

Your first response in this thread was taking issue with my response to another chap who seemed incongruous with the creation of this thread in the first place; alerting everyone to the presence of a major bug (which just so happened to be exclusive to the UWP version of the game rather than Xbox One).

To directly answer your question, as someone who has coded for both a living and in academia, *all* coding errors are human errors. I'm confident you know this too (genuinely).

There's no shame or weakness in scrutiny. It can take many forms, but on this particular forum, it tends to have the most impact or effectiveness in a subset of those (i.e. humour....or a poor attempt at it...

...I'm being self-deprecating about me here...)

This kind of thing shouldn't happen. I personally have had corrupted saves on...almost as many platforms as there have been platforms that let you have saves on. But certain things can make it more likely. It's why I think Microsoft were very smart to transfer the Windows Insider programme that has been so successful on PC, to Xbox One. In the fullness of time, it will hopefully emerge with this incident and with the wider Xbox on UWP initiative as a whole, what the failings were and what to do to minimise the incidents on the whole going forward.

We're both on the same side here, I assure you! (unless you are secretly Satya Nadella or Phil Spencer...?)

But all in all, I hope you (and the chap I originally replied to) remember three things:

1.) Criticism against Microsoft (or any other video games company) is okay.
2.) You don't need to put words in other people's mouths to win internet arguments.
3.) Winning internet arguments is pointless, futile, and (something I learned the hard way) utterly unimportant :)

vg260

This is what scares me about the Xbox cloud save system. I always want a way to manually back up my saves. I would be furious if I lost hundreds of hours of gaming due to a goof like this.

<snip>

This kind of thing shouldn't happen. I personally have had corrupted saves on...almost as many platforms as there have been platforms that let you have saves on. But certain things can make it more likely. It's why I think Microsoft were very smart to transfer the Windows Insider programme that has been so successful on PC, to Xbox One. In the fullness of time, it will hopefully emerge with this incident and with the wider Xbox on UWP initiative as a whole, what the failings were and what to do to minimise the incidents on the whole going forward.

We're both on the same side here, I assure you! (unless you are secretly Satya Nadella or Phil Spencer...?)

But all in all, I hope you (and the chap I originally replied to) remember three things:

1.) Criticism against Microsoft (or any other video games company) is okay.
2.) You don't need to put words in other people's mouths to win internet arguments.
3.) Winning internet arguments is pointless, futile, and (something I learned the hard way) utterly unimportant :)

I am completely and totally with you right up until the point where you feel the need to teach us lessons. If we're not here to converse and argue our points, then what are we doing here? :)

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate on Windows Store. The way Microsoft has handled it so far is pretty embarrassing, and they deserve to get shit on for it.

Honestly though, this reason just seems kind of lazy, as chances are its probably not a Windows Store issue to begin with. It's looking like a bad update got pushed out by the devs. So it seems kind of silly, and easy, to blame the delivery mechanism.

It is definitely human error, that created the store....seriously the store cant handle a rollback? The store requires you to re-download 50GB for a human error from Microsoft, ridiculous.

I'm getting crap download speeds only from the Windows store, while Origin, Steam, Uplay and many others give me full speed(13MB/s)

It is definitely human error, that created the store....seriously the store cant handle a rollback? The store requires you to re-download 50GB for a human error from Microsoft, ridiculous.

Likely, the store can't handle a delta rollback from separate channels. If the dev accidentally pushed out a development build to the retail channel, we get the current scenario. It's an unfortunate scenario, and one that shouldn't happen, so likely no contingency was ever written for it.

I'm wondering if a Steam or Origin title would be so easily recoverable if something like this happened, or if a full reinstall would be required.

amardilo

How do I tell what version I have installed?

I have auto-updates turned on and my PC is on pretty much everyday but I'm unsure if I downloaded this update or not.

On the Microsoft App store under "Downloads and updates" - "Recent activity" it's only showing 8 things from 20/12/2016 and none are Forza Horizon 3 and when I go to the store and click on Forza Horizon 3 it doesn't give me any details about my installed version.

For those saying the port is awful, does that mean I should play it on my Xbox One instead of my gaming PC with a GTX 1060? I have yet to download it, but don't want to download it twice either to find out which system to play it on.

Depends how mich stuttering bothers you. If youre sensitive to it youll probably enjoy the xbone version more

madjoki

The busted update was 53GB because 53GB of data was different.

If you're in the small percentage of customers who got the busted update, then a delta "downgrade" wouldn't work because it's still 53GB of data that is different.

Wait, so there was actually not just one but two 53GB downloads for affected users then? That's worse than I thought.

I just assumed it was smaller patch, that caused need to reinstall whole game.

Sky87

I have no microstutters on my 4700k/1070, everything maxed to Ultra with 4x MSAA. I get 60-70fps with dips down to around 40 in the heavy forested area.

The ''Framerate smoothing'' option did seem to make the game stuttery on release day for me, so that option has been off since.

TheYanger

Likely, the store can't handle a delta rollback from separate channels. If the dev accidentally pushed out a development build to the retail channel, we get the current scenario. It's an unfortunate scenario, and one that shouldn't happen, so likely no contingency was ever written for it.

I'm wondering if a Steam or Origin title would be so easily recoverable if something like this happened, or if a full reinstall would be required.

I mean, unless those services randomly store entire outdated executables and piles of files when you patch (which seems unlikely/terrible), this is a problem that would happen anywhere if you pushed the wrong version of the game into the update queue. Then the updater sees "Oh hey the entire thing is wrong, let me fix that" and downloads your new game to install over the old one.

I can't imagine a scenario where this exact outcome wouldn't have happen ed on any store.

Theorry

"I thought I'd compile a list of cars rumored to come to FH3, whether that be through the game files being discovered pre-release/today and other rumors. Note that these cars aren't confirmed for FH3, but are a good bet to appear somewhere in the games future (in a car pack/expansion/forzathon/barnfind)

All credit goes to /u/TheAdmiester.
New Leaks from Debug build
1977 AMC Pacer X
1973 AMC Gremlin X
2017 Bentley Continental Supersports
1972 Chrysler Charger E49
2010 Ferrari 599XX
1995 Ferrari F50 GT
1992 Ford Falcon GT
1932 Ford De-Luxe Three Window Coupe
2016 Honda Civic Type R
1951 Holden FX Sedan
2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
1972 Land Rover Series III
2016 Lotus 3-Eleven
1972 Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
1995 Nissan NISMO GT-R LM
2010 Pagani Zonda R
1993 Toyota #1 T100 Baja Truck
Stuff Leaked Earlier today/older leaks:
Leak from un-encrypted files earlier today :
* 2017 Aston Martin DB11
* 1959 BMW 507
* 1971 Chevrolet Vega
* 2013 Dodge Dart
* 1969 Lola T70
* 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
* 1956 Porsche 356 A
* 1956 Porsche 550 Spyder
* 2012 Porsche 911 GT2 RS
* 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
* 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0
* 1982 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.3
* 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
* 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder
* 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo
* 1987 Porsche 959
* 2003 Porsche Carrera GT
* 2012 Porsche Cayenne
* 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
* 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
* 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 NEW
* 1970 Porsche 917LH NEW
* 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS NEW
* 1995 Porsche 911 GT2 NEW
* 2016 Vauxhall Corsa VXR
* 1983 Volvo 242 Turbo Evolution
Pre-Launch Leak:
* 2009 Audi RS6
* 2003 Audi RS6
* 2001 Audi RS4 Avant
* 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
* 1970 Dodge Charger Fast and Furious (Dom's)
* 1985 Holden VK Commodore
* 1970 Honda S800
* 2016 Jaguar XE-S
* 1971 Jensen Interceptor
* 2010 Mazda MX5 Super20
* 1990 Mazda MX5 Miata
* 2014 Nissan Nismo Juke RS
* 1971 Plymouth GTX426 Hemi
* 1990 Renault Alpine GTA Le Mans
* 2014 Zenvo ST-1

Hoonigan DLC Leak:
Still to come from this leak is Rob Parsons' "Chairslayer" 240SX and a RWB Porsche which was also found in the credits of the game
Arctic Trucks found in the credts:
Polaris Slingshot named dropped by Dan Greenawalt"

willbsn13

"I thought I'd compile a list of cars rumored to come to FH3, whether that be through the game files being discovered pre-release/today and other rumors. Note that these cars aren't confirmed for FH3, but are a good bet to appear somewhere in the games future (in a car pack/expansion/forzathon/barnfind)

Hey, thats my post! Haha I actually made a better formatted version. I'll post it in the OT as well, not sure if it should be spoilered.

Imgur Link: http://imgur.com/a/MevKB

So I complied all the leaks and we're left with this list:

1977 AMC Pacer X
1973 AMC Gremlin X
2017 Aston Martin DB11
2009 Audi RS6
2003 Audi RS6
2001 Audi RS4 Avant
2017 Bentley Continental Supersports
1959 BMW 507
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
1971 Chevrolet Vega
1972 Chrysler Charger E49
2013 Dodge Dart
2010 Ferrari 599XX
1995 Ferrari F50 GT
1992 Ford Falcon GT
1932 Ford De-Luxe Three Window Coupe
1985 Holden HDT VK Commodore
1951 Holden FX Sedan
1970 Honda S800
2016 Honda Civic Type R
2016 Jaguar XE-S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
1972 Land Rover Series III
1969 Lola T70
2016 Lotus 3-Eleven
2010 Mazda MX5 Super20
1990 Mazda MX5 Miata
1972 Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2014 Nissan Juke RS NISMO
1995 Nissan NISMO GT-R LM
2010 Pagani Zonda R
1971 Plymouth GTX426 Hemi
1990 Renault Alpine GTA Le Mans
1993 Toyota #1 T100 Baja Truck
2016 Vauxhall Corsa VXR
1983 Volvo 242 Turbo Evolution
2014 Zenvo ST-1

Porsche:

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2014 Porsche 918 Spyder
2012 Porsche 911 GT2 RS
2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0
2012 Porsche Cayenne
2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
2003 Porsche Carrera GT
1995 Porsche 911 GT2 RS (993)
1989 Porsche 944 Turbo
1987 Porsche 959
1982 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.3
1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS
1970 Porsche #3 917LH
1956 Porsche 356 A
1956 Porsche 550 Spyder

I doubt the Porsche expansion (if it does exist) that it'll be only 18 cars (weird number to have an expansion on) so hopefully we'll get two more models for Porsche.

I wonder how much of this stuff will actually make it in

GlamFM

Banned
Cancelled my download once reports came in that there was something wrong with it.

Nothing was corrupted for me - played it this morning just fine.

Can´t wait for the BMW i8 - hope it´s up tonight.

EDIT: Also don´t think this mistake has anything to do with the Windows Store in particular.

Game also always ran great on my PC.

I'm sort of perversely happy about this. It really sucks for everyone who had/has to redownload the thing, but we got quite a bit of info out of the debug version and my internet is coincidentally down so I've dodged that particular bullet.

/Shadenfreude

Pakoe

I'm both sad and happy i refunded this.
I really wanted a Forza game on PC and went out to buy the Ultimate Edition + Season Pass. Performance made me refund it immediately.

Bluth54

Surely the Windows certification process should have shown this up?

What's the fucking point if they still have to wait 2 weeks to relates a patch for certification and still release the wrong one?

Yeah this is the most confusing thing. Something like should of never made it past Microsoft certification. If it did then what's the point of having any certification on updates?

Luq

It's not a first time. In the past their patches made the game unable to load. Hopefully they will fix it asap

A fitting end to this disaster of a port

I uninstalled the game ages ago but feel bad for anyone who was affected

Admittedly I don't have a gaming PC, but what was wrong with it? I was under the impression that, Windows Store aside, FH3 and Gears 4 marked the beginning of them actually trying when it came to PC ports?

GlamFM

Banned
Admittedly I don't have a gaming PC, but what was wrong with it? I was under the impression that, Windows Store aside, FH3 and Gears 4 marked the beginning of them actually trying when it came to PC ports?

Some people had problems on PC, some did not - therefor it´s the worst port of all time and so on....

LilJoka

Seems like that dev build could be very interesting in capable hands. Mods maybe?? I see that they already got access to vehicle data like Forza 4.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
it does seem that the overwhelming majority had issues with it tho

My guess is a lot of those that didn't (who aren't on high end rigs with top line processors) just aren't sensitive to stutter and never turned on the frame rate counter. I'd not notice it outside of surfer's paradise or some busy races in dense jungle (and when the frame rate over all tanks often after a couple of hours before a restart) if I hadn't turned on the counter to see how bad the drops where in those instances. With it in I do see that I get a lot of drops from 60 down into the 50s where I don't really notice stutter, but I know that others are very sensitive to being bothered by those kind of microstutters. The bad stutter for me is when it drops down into the 40s or below. Thankfully those aren't super often for me.

It's not like it's just forum complainers noting the issue. It was in mulitiple reviews of the PC version, digitial doundry type analyses and the devs have noted and tried to patch performance issues.

ducksauce

Bought the game at launch on pc, only played a couple of hours. Havent been able to play any since first update broke the game for me. This latest development is no surprise.

Top Bottom