• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studio Acquisitions

Freeform thread, who do you feel Microsoft should purchase next and why?

What IPs do you want to see this next purchase make from MS or continue to make of their own that they acquire?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd like it if they stuck with their original Xbox mission "to bring PC games to the living room" and gave us more RTSs and 4x strategy games with control schemes customized for a gamepad (optional m/kb wouldn't be bad, though). Xbox used to be the console that let you experience Western PC devs and now it's just a...console. Bring over the Total War games, bring over more of the RTS remasters (Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are already leaked/rumored). Bring over Starcraft II. Bring over Sins of a Solar Empire. etc etc

I'd buy an Xbox for that.

I'd like it if they stuck with their original Xbox mission "to bring PC games to the living room" and gave us more RTSs and 4x strategy games with control schemes customized for a gamepad (optional m/kb wouldn't be bad, though). Xbox used to be the console that let you experience Western PC devs and now it's just a...console. Bring over the Total War games, bring over more of the RTS remasters (Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are already leaked/rumored). Bring over Starcraft II. Bring over Sins of a Solar Empire. etc etc

I'd buy an Xbox for that.

With the keyboard/mouse announcements at X018, and Age of Empires HD leaked on the Xbox store, that may not be far off.

Imagine some Total Warhammer on Xbox 1 with kb/m? Or other Total War games.

Or Civ 6

Mattyp

Gold Member
Once Bungie ends their 10-year contract with Activision, MS should buy them back and have them make another new sci-fi IP without the grinding and loot boxes.

I have no doubt Bungie is regretting the mistake of switching to Activision and seeing the freedom Microsoft studios have now.

Would personally like to see them buy Segas gaming division. Leave the arcades, gambling, physical machines alone etc just obviously with a partnership when needed.

I have no doubt Bungie is regretting the mistake of switching to Activision and seeing the freedom Microsoft studios have now.

Would personally like to see them buy Segas gaming division. Leave the arcades, gambling, physical machines alone etc just obviously with a partnership when needed.

Then people's wish of Alpha Protocol 2 will be realized.

And my wish of Aztec Adventure HD

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
With the keyboard/mouse announcements at X018, and Age of Empires HD leaked on the Xbox store, that may not be far off.

Imagine some Total Warhammer on Xbox 1 with kb/m? Or other Total War games.

Or Civ 6
It's a missed market. They were trying to bring more RTS and strategy over to consoles last gen (Supreme Commander 1 & 2 and C&C Red Alert games) but the effort just fizzled. I can't imagine they sold very well. Was Halo Wars 2 a thing or did that fizzle too?

It's a missed market. They were trying to bring more RTS and strategy over to consoles last gen (Supreme Commander 1 & 2 and C&C Red Alert games) but the effort just fizzled. I can't imagine they sold very well. Was Halo Wars 2 a thing or did that fizzle too?

Regular Civ 5/6 style can definitely be brought to consoles. It works great with a Steam Controller and I don't see why it wouldn't with an Xbox/PS4 controller either. So yes, it's a missed market.

MS needs to go hard with Age of Empires 4 on Xbox.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's apparent that MS are interested in studios that aren't AAA but can fill out their game pass portfolio. I'm trying to think of a AA developer that fits the mold that isn't already owned by some other publisher.

"I don't want to seem like we're going out to fill a quota," he says. "It's not about filling a spreadsheet by any means. We will, however, have an interest in studios right now that fit this criteria of 50 to 100 people, who are making games on a two to three year cadence, and have content that we think will be of interest to our Game Pass subscribers. That means content that is a little different to what our big AAA franchises can deliver."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-23-why-xbox-bought-ninja-theory

Some of my personal thoughts. MS should buy Wizards of the Coast from Hasbro, to get the D&D and MtG license.

And Crate Entertainment (Grim Dawn).

Edit: Oh, and Re-Logic, corner the crafting/exploration market with Terraria (and Minecraft they already have).

Then we get an insane Terraria 2.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Some of my personal thoughts. MS should buy Wizards of the Coast from Hasbro, to get the D&D and MtG license.

And Crate Entertainment (Grim Dawn).

Edit: Oh, and Re-Logic, corner the crafting/exploration market with Terraria (and Minecraft they already have).

Then we get an insane Terraria 2.
Yeah, both of those licenses would do better with some money and guidance behind them.

It's not my bag, but I'm betting a subscription-based MtG with seasons and expansions would do really well with Microsoft behind it.

Yeah, both of those licenses would do better with some money and guidance behind them.

It's not my bag, but I'm betting a subscription-based MtG with seasons and expansions would do really well with Microsoft behind it.

Plus they're close to Microsoft HQ. It would make perfect sense. Not like Hasbro cares that much.

Can't say I'd mind a MtG rpg from Obsidian...as Jace! :D

Real talk though, Icewind Dale 3 AA-AAA, oh yeah.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Plus they're close to Microsoft HQ. It would make perfect sense. Not like Hasbro cares that much.

Can't say I'd mind a MtG rpg from Obsidian...as Jace! :D

Real talk though, Icewind Dale 3 AA-AAA, oh yeah.
Sad that they haven't got around to Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced yet.

With the rumors surrounding the acquisition of Obsidian, an Icewind Dale 3 (or equivalent) wouldn't be too far off the mark. I don't know if the CRPG resurgence was anything more than a bubble, though. PoE2 sold poorly in spite of being multiplatform. A CRPG published by Microsoft would be 90s-era Microsoft PC gaming kind of craziness. Unsure they're that dedicated to such a niche genre. :p

EDMIX

Freeform thread, who do you feel Microsoft should purchase next and why?

What IPs do you want to see this next purchase make from MS or continue to make of their own that they acquire?
I think they should focus in-house as their issues are more so how they treat who they own vs not owning enough.

I want to see more new AAA IP that they are pre-pared to support just like they do Halo, Gears etc. As we've seen the publisher reluctant to really give any IP that spotlight, budget, marketing etc besides their big 3 (Halo, Gears, Forza) as that just needs to end. That preconceived notion is what is making customers feel those IP are once overs or not to take seriously etc when I feel most would respond positively if MS very much shows that their new stuff is getting the "Halo, Gears, Forza" treatment.

So that is a massive plus as I feel the community sees thru them like paper regarding when they make new IPs. They MUST support those AAA concepts in the same respect they do Halo or Gears if they want to see Halo or Gears response. The Last Of Us outsold Uncharted because it was not treated like a smaller, secondary IP etc. Marketed just as much, budget just as big etc.

I feel they can also find some room with their RTS titles with more outsourcing to Creative Assembly, maybe more Halo Wars, even a Gears RTS or Age Of Empire return etc.

Like stated before, they need to drastically alter how they treat those teams and legit be open to allowing them to create new IP. Uncharted, The Last Of Us, Infamous, Bloodborne, Horizon etc. All new IP, all allowing new consumers to buy said publishers product (same for 3rd party) making something new allows customer to rely on if they like that IP vs the publisher, so MS can't expect to sell to new people on old concepts. So they might make Quantum Break, but their fans clearly know their massive funds are really behind Halo, Gears, Forza......that needs to change.

Horizon being made didn't make customers feel that it was getting lessor attention, budget, marketing etc then Killzone. That is based on how it marketed and history of the publisher.

MS literally needs to show this level of support to those IPs for fans to feel like this is the start of a massive series getting long term support vs timed releases, IPs by teams they don't own etc.

Halo 5's free MP was a great idea for maps, I want to see that continue.

They need balance and need those teams they got FULLY focusing on SP concepts as they are not the only damn company making MP titles and the ones they make clearly are showing its not a market that makes sense for them to continue to saturate.

So I'm not sure who MS needs to buy next, but I feel its more important that they fix what they have now vs buying more teams.

Sad that they haven't got around to Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced yet.

With the rumors surrounding the acquisition of Obsidian, an Icewind Dale 3 (or equivalent) wouldn't be too far off the mark. I don't know if the CRPG resurgence was anything more than a bubble, though. PoE2 sold poorly in spite of being multiplatform. A CRPG published by Microsoft would be 90s-era Microsoft PC gaming kind of craziness. Unsure they're that dedicated to such a niche genre. :p

Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced unfortunately cannot happen since the source code got lost. Hell, even NWN2 Enhanced isn't happening any time soon either per Beamdog. Guess they're focusing fully on NWN1 Enhanced last I read.

I'm assuming we'll get a kind of Alpha Protocol/FO: NV rpg from Obsidian. Hopefully with the Shadowrun IP since MS owns it outright.

Last edited:

cdthree

I think they should focus in-house as their issues are more so how they treat who they own vs not owning enough.

I want to see more new AAA IP that they are pre-pared to support just like they do Halo, Gears etc. As we've seen the publisher reluctant to really give any IP that spotlight, budget, marketing etc besides their big 3 (Halo, Gears, Forza) as that just needs to end. That preconceived notion is what is making customers feel those IP are once overs or not to take seriously etc when I feel most would respond positively if MS very much shows that their new stuff is getting the "Halo, Gears, Forza" treatment.

So that is a massive plus as I feel the community sees thru them like paper regarding when they make new IPs. They MUST support those AAA concepts in the same respect they do Halo or Gears if they want to see Halo or Gears response. The Last Of Us outsold Uncharted because it was not treated like a smaller, secondary IP etc. Marketed just as much, budget just as big etc.

I feel they can also find some room with their RTS titles with more outsourcing to Creative Assembly, maybe more Halo Wars, even a Gears RTS or Age Of Empire return etc.

Like stated before, they need to drastically alter how they treat those teams and legit be open to allowing them to create new IP. Uncharted, The Last Of Us, Infamous, Bloodborne, Horizon etc. All new IP, all allowing new consumers to buy said publishers product (same for 3rd party) making something new allows customer to rely on if they like that IP vs the publisher, so MS can't expect to sell to new people on old concepts. So they might make Quantum Break, but their fans clearly know their massive funds are really behind Halo, Gears, Forza......that needs to change.

Horizon being made didn't make customers feel that it was getting lessor attention, budget, marketing etc then Killzone. That is based on how it marketed and history of the publisher.

MS literally needs to show this level of support to those IPs for fans to feel like this is the start of a massive series getting long term support vs timed releases, IPs by teams they don't own etc.

Halo 5's free MP was a great idea for maps, I want to see that continue.

They need balance and need those teams they got FULLY focusing on SP concepts as they are not the only damn company making MP titles and the ones they make clearly are showing its not a market that makes sense for them to continue to saturate.

So I'm not sure who MS needs to buy next, but I feel its more important that they fix what they have now vs buying more teams.

I hope they buy Hello Games cause whatever they create next I want to play.
I second that, though. I think it's inherent to Microsoft and their DNA. They were born as a productivity company that's trying to manage content creation. It's been a mixed bag throughout their Xbox and PC history. That's why I advocated they buy a top three publisher and roll their game studios into them and let them run that side of the business as a fully owned subsidiary. As long as they aren't burning 100 dollar bills in the fireplace let them manage completely on their own with no interference. But now with gamepass they just need their studios to turn out smaller high quality products on a regular cadence. Doesn't need to be the next GTA or RDR2, but also can't lose 10's of millions of dollars either. The one thing that dogged Netflix when switching over from DVD's to streaming was they had no content. It was ugly back then. I just don't want gamepass to fail because of this. I kind of worry about their AAA fading in popularity. Forza is the only one I still think of as popular, IMHO.

EDMIX

Maybe the old Xbox team, but the current one has been incredibly supportive towards all their studios.

Well....we don't really know that until we legit get to the end of next gen.

Its not as if MS came out this gen and told us they'd close down teams, cancel games, only really support Halo,Gears Forza etc. So until it happens, I think its fair to question the publisher as I don't think we can really take what they are saying at face value. No publisher is seriously going to tell you they only plan to do online MT games, only support Halo, Gears Forza etc This is also the same publisher that kept telling us about exclusives.....then have those same "exclusives" go elsewhere.

So they are still a business and won't out right market themselves to be closing teams, cancelling games only support certain concepts etc. So we'll have to see honestly until end of next gen if MS actually REALLY does this.

I want them to buy Playdead. No need to buy MHDR & Moon, they are solid 2nd party. Sony has shown you need at least a dozen 1st party + dozen 2nd party. What MS needs to do now is strengthen their 2nd party.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't really want them to buy anything, but I would love for them to open their doors to allow Japanese developers to release uncensored versions of their titles on the Xbox platform.

not counting support studios. counting ones that make games

Microsoft has 11 and Sony has 11. maybe 11 to 10 if you dont want to count san diego. a sports game isn't doing too much with the show.

not bad. tho quality wise Sony stacks up much better. tho Microsoft has more diverse, FPS, RPGs Racing games. etc

I do think a studio like Insomniac is worth like 5 studios. it would be such a big get if Sony could actually throw ted price a few million dollars for it. they actually can't right now because they have a deal with Occulus. maybe after stormland is out they can

they would be a big deal because they make big 1p titles and VR games. they are probably one of the top 5 most expensive indiependent game devs atm. probably just second to cd project red.

Last edited:
Microsoft should ask obsidian to make their own version of Mass Effect. Basically really just a sci-fi rpg. And honestly inxile should probably do Fable 4.

How easy would that be for a Western company like Microsoft to buy Sega's gaming division? Would be a huge move but looks like they are going after smaller developers who need support.

Its not as if MS came out this gen and told us they'd close down teams, cancel games, only really support Halo,Gears Forza etc. So until it happens, I think its fair to question the publisher as I don't think we can really take what they are saying at face value. No publisher is seriously going to tell you they only plan to do online MT games, only support Halo, Gears Forza etc This is also the same publisher that kept telling us about exclusives.....then have those same "exclusives" go elsewhere.

So they are still a business and won't out right market themselves to be closing teams, cancelling games only support certain concepts etc. So we'll have to see honestly until end of next gen if MS actually REALLY does this.

Just like nobody should take your comments as face value. Until you show some positive attitude why talk yourself? They have done great turning the hardware issue around, getting Kinect out of the way, building on BC, making Game Pass a great value, offering pc support, big headway with indie developers, building studios and now having the full support of the CEO and getting rid of Mattrick, going after big Japanese support like Kingdom Hearts and getting X enhancements.

You don't say nothing at all unless you can make it sound questionable and a negative spin but we should take you views as face value?

Microsoft is in the right track, if they weren't you would have ignored them long ago.

Last edited:

element

I'm happy for the studios to be acquired, but some of them are a little confusing. Compulsion Games and inXile Entertainment don't really jump out at me.

I think the other thing that is confusing is Microsoft will now have three separate studios in Los Angeles, which isn't cheap.

I'm curious who will go after:
Arrowhead Game Studios
Frictional Games
Hello Games
Saber Interactive
Hinterland Studio
Behavior

Hudo

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd buy one of their support studios, like Certain Affinity or Skybox Labs.

Zewp

Yeah, they just bought a bunch of teams so that they can shut them down. Solid logic, 11/10 mate! /s

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
2 years from now both these studios will be shut down.

It’s crazy how Microsoft has nothing but improved throughout the entire generation, and Sony has stalled or even walked backwards because of no true competition at the moment, yet it’s still microsoft that gets flak.

Amazing.

Ar¢tos

I wonder what kind of games MS is going to have these small studios create. Are they jumping on the VR wagon next gen and these studios are to make small games for it?

mike4001_

I agree

But the only way to get a AAA game is to start somewhere.

And I guess it´s easier to buy a small studio which knows how to make games and then grow it over time to come to the AAA sector but creating a new AAA studio from scratch.

And I really hope this is their goal with some of these "Indie+" Studios they bought. Give them the manpower over time so they can grow to become a AAA developer.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wonder what kind of games MS is going to have these small studios create. Are they jumping on the VR wagon next gen and these studios are to make small games for it?

I hope not. VR is dead, so I hope MS will focus on something more important.

Virex

Banned
Seems like the acquisition deal with Obsidian and inXile was a "Buy one get one free" situation

Last edited:

Zewp

It’s crazy how Microsoft has nothing but improved throughout the entire generation, and Sony has stalled or even walked backwards because of no true competition at the moment, yet it’s still microsoft that gets flak.

Amazing.

I've come to learn that no matter what you do, you can't satisfy Sony fanboys. They've been shitting on MS for exclusives for years, now that MS is starting to rectify the situation they feel the need to move the goalposts.

Imo, they're starting to feel the pressure. The only strength Sony has is exclusives. The only weakness MS has is exclusives. Once MS plugs that gap, Sony's offering will start looking a lot less attractive.

Ar¢tos

I agree

But the only way to get a AAA game is to start somewhere.

And I guess it´s easier to buy a small studio which knows how to make games and then grow it over time to come to the AAA sector but creating a new AAA studio from scratch.

And I really hope this is their goal with some of these "Indie+" Studios they bought. Give them the manpower over time so they can grow to become a AAA developer.
That is bad if true. Managing 5 new AAA studios cost a lot of money and letting small studios grow to AAA takes time, money and patience. So this turns into a buy 5, let each one make a game, pick the best one to invest and shutdown the other 4. (bad for the other 4)
they're starting to feel the pressure. The only strength Sony has is exclusives. The only weakness MS has is exclusives. Once MS plugs that gap, Sony's offering will start looking a lot less attractive.
It's impossible to tell what Sony will be doing by then since that won't be this next gen. You can't turn 5 new small studios into AAA workforces in a couple of years, not even a full gen is enough. Maybe by Xbox 3/ps6 gen they will have studios able to compete with Sony in the first party AAA area (in the non FPS/Racing genre).

Last edited:
That is bad if true. Managing 5 new AAA studios cost a lot of money and letting small studios grow to AAA takes time, money and patience. So this turns into a buy 5, let each one make a game, pick the best one to invest and shutdown the other 4. (bad for the other 4)

It's impossible to tell what Sony will be doing by then since that won't be this next gen. You can't turn 5 new small studios into AAA workforces in a couple of years, not even a full gen is enough. Maybe by Xbox 3/ps6 gen they will have studios able to compete with Sony in the first party AAA area (in the non FPS/Racing genre).

Pick the best one and shut down the other 4? You guys will just run with anything won't you.

Looks like Microsoft is turning next gen into another battle and some don't like it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Amazing.

Underdog mentality (some could quote biblical metaphors of prodigal sons too) aside, I do not think Sony stalled or walked backwards considering the evolution of their platform (PS4 Pro and PS VR) as well as their software output (even by first and second party game release numbers). Sony positioned themselves better at the start of the generation because they did their homework better and kept progressing at a good pace while MS had to work harder after to fix their mistakes and reach the state PS4 was in when it launched (parallel to Xbox 360 and PS3 previous fight).

Did the people that feel MS is not given enough credit now cheered like crazy for Sony for the even faster comeback they did with the PS3 (erasing a year launch advantage and all the launch time controversy, setting up the ICE team and the EDGE tools to help third parties, etc...) and upset at people who did not give them enough credit? Considering PS3 did catch up to Xbox 360 and Xbox One is likely not to come close to doing the same to PS4, people should be more upset about good guy underdog Sony (weird when a much richer company is seen as the current underdog though...) not getting enough credit/reward. At the end of that generation the general perception was more like “Xbox 720 will give Sony the mercy killing shot” than anything...

Great for Xbox as a platform they rectified some issues and started investing more and better, but while doing that has merit it is also natural for some people to feel a bit miffed about those who prepared and did not have to gain lost ground back that are treated as if they were the ones in the wrong.

PS3, Xbox One, etc... big comebacks sound nice, but they are best if they are few and far between... a business which has to do it repeatedly is either going bankrupt or is lucky to have Monopoly money from other channels distorting the particular market reality it is competing in... which it is ultimately bad for consumers too. Sure the attitude of some Sony fans now would only incite more vitriol if PS5 were to badly lose next round as Xbox 360 fans helped create back then... attitude has consequences too.

mejin

People should leave console wars aside. It's true MS is doing a good job and it's also true it will take years for them to be a match for Sony WWS. As long as they don't leave this path (Kinect was a bitch), they will be okay.

All in all, it's good to have a perspective of competition for the future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People should leave console wars aside. It's true MS is doing a good job and it's also true it will take years for them to be a match for Sony WWS. As long as they don't leave this path (Kinect was a bitch), they will be okay.

All in all, it's good to have a perspective of competition for the future.

It is, but competition works best when the one with the much better offering wins... else it would be impossible for smaller companies to ever compete and grow. Everybody wins is not the same as competition benefits all.

Ar¢tos

Pick the best one and shut down the other 4? You guys will just run with anything won't you.

Looks like Microsoft is turning next gen into another battle and some don't like it.
Not every criticism is driven by fanboyism. Considering MS past, this is very possible.

Top Bottom