• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studio Acquisitions

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought this was funny. Another "insider" full of BS:

I haven't kept track of all "insiders", but virtually all of them are BS. They'll get some things right with educated guesses (which everyone can make), and then claim they are insiders.

Off the top of my head, I think the only handful of insiders that seem accurate are:

- Shinobi
- That come and go MS guy named Netkrnl who did his bit for like 6 months and disappeared
- Any of the NPD data leakers that did it using a hidden ID

There may be more, but most are BS. And it's amazing too. Because if these guys are so called "insiders", you'd think out of all the game store employees, game maker employees and all the other companies affiliated with gaming material (stores, marketing companies, ad agencies, or even that company that helps MS, Sony and Nintendo build demo kiosks) these insiders can find at least one reliable source who who they chum up with for reliable info.

Last edited:

Zewp

Ah, logic...

Until they actually go thru those generations with those teams actually making new IP and staying open, we will not know for sure if they use them for 1 IP and close them down. In order to prove that, a lot of time needs to pass, ie they make a new IP, sequels and then another and stay open. The criticism was MS was closing down those studios after using them for 1 IP. Them making a new IP, then ANOTHER new IP and staying open would show MS has changed, which means this might take a while lol.

Sorry but we can't just wildly believe any company solely off of them saying so as its not as if MS at the start of this gen told everyone they would close down studios, cancel games and just give you Halo, Gears, Forza on repeat. JUST like we need to actually SEE EA delay games and actually REALLY give free DLC and remove lootboxes before they can really be trusted that its their real long term objective.

Many, many people asked if BFV would have free DLC and where doubtful even with TF2 and BF2 having free DLC, well guess what? It takes a very long time of doing the thing you are saying you are going to do, before the public actually really believe and trust that is what you are doing.

So of next gen, ALL EA ips have no loot boxes and free DLC, they can very much be known for doing that other then a test with TF2, BF2 and BFV. You just have to understand that we can't just SOLELY go on the world of the publisher because its not as if they've never promised to change before.

Yeah, you also can't make claims that a company is going to do something until they actually do it.

You're welcome to believe they're going to shut down their studios after 1 IP. I'm not going to believe something based on the bitter ramblings of Sony fanboys, lol. It's quite clear from your posts that you're just completely anti-MS, so I don't see the point in engaging with someone who has already made up their mind like that and will shit on anything MS does regardless.

I'll wait and see what happens, when or if it happens. You're welcome to stew in your anger and petty tribalism. ;)

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

Not every criticism is driven by fanboyism. Considering MS past, this is very possible.
Decisions are made by people not brick walls. The past you are talking about is no longer working at Xbox and Phil Spencer and his team have made god decisions one after another. So some of us are right to expect great games in the future from Xbox.

Ar¢tos

Decisions are made by people not brick walls. The past you are talking about is no longer working at Xbox and Phil Spencer and his team have made god decisions one after another. So some of us are right to expect great games in the future from Xbox.
I believe it when I see it. I'm kinda tired of hearing every single year the promise of more first party games, more pc support, etc for the year after, and seeing nothing.

cdthree

I hope this come true

I would like to see them do open world sandbox rpg version of Halo. A third type of Halo separate from 343, cause I could never get into Halo now matter how many times I tried before. It seems like a cool world full of lore, maybe an RPG would do it for me.

thelastword

Banned

Ha, well I can agree that most insiders are just guessing more than anything.....They may know someone or two in the industry, but things are not leaked as easily as people believe...You want to hold unto your job in these times rather than risk it....Also, even if you work in the industry, it doesn't mean you know what will be inside PS5......So when persons say "my source is a dev or works in the industry at gamespot" it really means nothing most of the time.....Remember that anti-PS4-PRO guy (Colin Moriarty), who said most devs didn't want to develop or want the PS4 PRO, I guess we can all guess where his trusted source came from......

Still as for Zhuge, I see we like to condemn persons when it's convenient. I personally never put too much stock in his numbers, but I saw certain X-fans were happy when he put XBOX-ONE hardware at close to 40 million as opposed to lower numbers from other sources, but are now against him when he says something that's not too enticing about XBOX.....It's crazy isn't it? I know before GAF went down last year, he was banned, never follow these things, don't know why he was. Was he banned because his info was wrong or that he was trying to push to get hits for his content? Either way, I like to take the most logical approach when dealing with all these "my sources say bits"...You can always do a bit of research and put two and two together and see which one of these sources makes most sense....

They should buy Paradox. It fits perfectly with MS view of games as services. EUIV has been out for about 5 years now and still has a very active community.

EDMIX

Yeah, you also can't make claims that a company is going to do something until they actually do it.

You're welcome to believe they're going to shut down their studios after 1 IP. I'm not going to believe something based on the bitter ramblings of Sony fanboys, lol. It's quite clear from your posts that you're just completely anti-MS, so I don't see the point in engaging with someone who has already made up their mind like that and will shit on anything MS does regardless.

I'll wait and see what happens, when or if it happens. You're welcome to stew in your anger and petty tribalism. ;)

Sony fanboys? Buddy I own many MS published titles and still plan to buy any game they make thats fun when it lands on PC, this has nothing to do with Sony vs MS, this has everything to do with historically what MS has done.

Until they actually do it, its a mystery if they will go thru with it. I think its a fair belief to have even if you like the publisher. This has NOTHING to do with if someone likes MS or not. I'd tell you this if I owned a damn XB and liked the publisher as what I'm telling you is based on historically the actions of said publisher. I like Capcom, but of course I'm going to tell you Capcom will behave the way we know them to, regardless of what they say UNTIL they actually start doing that. Sooooo as much as I like any publisher, I'm going to stand by the concept that they must actually do those things before anyone believes in marketing fluff.

I don't take much of what any publisher states at face value until they actually PROVE they are doing it long term. Even if I like the publisher so relax on the whole "anti-MS" or "fanboy" stuff as never did I say I'd NEVER buy this publishers games. I did in the past, I currently do and I don't have much plans in the future not to....sooooo good luck with that broken theory lol

EDMIX

I believe it when I see it. I'm kinda tired of hearing every single year the promise of more first party games, more pc support, etc for the year after, and seeing nothing.

THIS!

This is why what they SAY is irrelevant.

Do it long term and we'll talk ending of next gen when they've actually supported those teams with MANY new IP. We've been down this road before and I see zero reason to ever take what this publisher or any publisher really states at face value. Its not as if Activision to your face is telling you they are not doing jack other then COD and Overwatch dlc for the whole gen LOL !

The only thing we can expect from any publisher, is for them to do what they've been doing UNTIL THEY STOP DOING IT.

Thats it.

Them just SAYING they will change means next to nothing as MS has just spent this whole damn gen telling you about a change that never happened and they are applying it to next gen.

True, they just bought a bunch of studios and created a new one just to show boat. I think some of you just like to cast doubt on anything Microsoft does and don't have the ability to just ignore them in the meantime.

Sony fanboys? Buddy I own many MS published titles and still plan to buy any game they make thats fun when it lands on PC, this has nothing to do with Sony vs MS, this has everything to do with historically what MS has done.

Until they actually do it, its a mystery if they will go thru with it. I think its a fair belief to have even if you like the publisher. This has NOTHING to do with if someone likes MS or not. I'd tell you this if I owned a damn XB and liked the publisher as what I'm telling you is based on historically the actions of said publisher. I like Capcom, but of course I'm going to tell you Capcom will behave the way we know them to, regardless of what they say UNTIL they actually start doing that. Sooooo as much as I like any publisher, I'm going to stand by the concept that they must actually do those things before anyone believes in marketing fluff.

I don't take much of what any publisher states at face value until they actually PROVE they are doing it long term. Even if I like the publisher so relax on the whole "anti-MS" or "fanboy" stuff as never did I say I'd NEVER buy this publishers games. I did in the past, I currently do and I don't have much plans in the future not to....sooooo good luck with that broken theory lol

Yes yes, we all know you only bring your mysterious pc gaming setup when a Microsoft titles comes out.

These stipulations you put out that they need to support the whole next gen before you support them just shows you are not interested. Instead of saying if the game is good you will get it, you suggest they need to build credibility for 5 or 6 years? That's why nobody believes you even play pc games and certainly not own MS titles like you claim.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would like to see them do open world sandbox rpg version of Halo. A third type of Halo separate from 343, cause I could never get into Halo now matter how many times I tried before. It seems like a cool world full of lore, maybe an RPG would do it for me.
A Halo RPG would be Godlike. I love the Halo FPS campaigns, but have longed for a Halo RPG forever.

Ar¢tos

True, they just bought a bunch of studios and created a new one just to show boat. I think some of you just like to cast doubt on anything Microsoft does and don't have the ability to just ignore them in the meantime.
Why dafuq you instantly label anyone that does the slightest criticism of MS as a Sony fanboy?
Are you a very insecure person?
I can as easily criticise some Sony decisions, like never properly supporting the Vita or releasing great games to die with no advertising, but in a thread about MS it's only natural to discuss MS actions and not Sony's or Nintendo's.

Why dafuq you instantly label anyone that does the slightest criticism of MS as a Sony fanboy?
Are you a very insecure person?
I can as easily criticise some Sony decisions, like never properly supporting the Vita or releasing great games to die with no advertising, but in a thread about MS it's only natural to discuss MS actions and not Sony's or Nintendo's.

You make no sense and if anyone is insecure its you do can't seem to cope Microsoft is heading in a different direction with different people in charge. What's next that the next Xbox might suffer RRoD too? Hey you never know, it's totally plausible in your mind.

This topic is about the new acquisitions and some of you are so quick to already talking about closures. What a joke. Vita is dead so nice try acting like you're not totally biased.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Sony owner here, since Psone.
This is no fanboy talk, at all. Microsoft has been doing a great work, because console or services are going to be driven by exclusive content, Sony did its work long time ago, developing and empowering studios in a long term horizon.....now you have naughty dog at its full maestry, a reborn Sony Santa Monica, a well driven Insomniac, a Mature and focus Guerrilla.... Microsoft and Xbox Owners are going to see the results of this wokr in not a near future i think.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
? Who is saying they bought them to shut them down? You just a bit too forceful with that post bud, no one is saying that at all. Fact of the matter is, MS bought teams.....MS closed down said teams, so we are not talking about something thats never happened. So no one is saying they are buying them for the sole purpose of closing them down, simply that MS has a history of using a team for its original IPs and then closing down when their down with that IP.

All that is being stated is we don't have much real proof that the company is done operating like this and we need to legit just wait til the end of next gen to see if they REALLY don't continue that practice.
LMAO^^
"Legit just wait until the end of NEXT GEN..."

Then it'll be," We need to just legit wait till next-next-next-gen!"

Sony has also closed down teams, or have we forgotten? In fact, Sony has closed down just as many studios as Microsoft has.

EDMIX

Sony owner here, since Psone.
This is no fanboy talk, at all. Microsoft has been doing a great work, because console or services are going to be driven by exclusive content, Sony did its work long time ago, developing and empowering studios in a long term horizon.....now you have naughty dog at its full maestry, a reborn Sony Santa Monica, a well driven Insomniac, a Mature and focus Guerrilla.... Microsoft and Xbox Owners are going to see the results of this wokr in not a near future i think.

Agreed completely. This is what they should have been doing since before this gen even started vs soooooo many timed games.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Well....we don't really know that until we legit get to the end of next gen.

Its not as if MS came out this gen and told us they'd close down teams, cancel games, only really support Halo,Gears Forza etc. So until it happens, I think its fair to question the publisher as I don't think we can really take what they are saying at face value. No publisher is seriously going to tell you they only plan to do online MT games, only support Halo, Gears Forza etc This is also the same publisher that kept telling us about exclusives.....then have those same "exclusives" go elsewhere.

So they are still a business and won't out right market themselves to be closing teams, cancelling games only support certain concepts etc. So we'll have to see honestly until end of next gen if MS actually REALLY does this.
You're trying waaay too hard.

The developers themselves said that Microsoft gave them complete autonomy to make any game they wish and announced it to everyone. So is it Microsoft and the devs that are lying to us now? Honestly, if you can't see that Microsoft has changed in major ways at this point, you never will. New management, new rules, new budgets, etc. The old Microsoft wouldve never made the investments they've recently made in gaming. And they had years to prove it.

The fear-mongering and concern trolling that happens in these Xbox threads is off the charts.

onlyoneno1

Now I hope this comes true.

Everyone is expecting games from MS but are totally fine with the 5 year cycle God of War took, the 7 year RDR2, and the 6+ year cycle cyberpunk is taking. But when crackdown 3 is around 5 years the world is on fire. "take your time, take your time", then flip 180 and go "where is the game?"

WaterAstro

It's not BS if you can't prove it didn't happen. Both could have happened because they can be mutually exclusive events, and ZhugeEX has more merit because Microsoft recently shut down Lionhead and cancelled Scalebound.
See above, or better yet go watch all the youtube videos of every studio they have picked up.
Most of the studios picked up were on the brink of shutting down. Not a particularly great reason for doing it because although they saved the studios, they did so because they were at their lowest price point to be picked up.
Yes, they have made games, some great, but nothing at the masterpiece level of God of War, TLOU, Uncharted, etc. Sony's games are realized after generations of fostering the same talent in the same studios, not shutting down studios and buying up studios that were nearly dead.

And it's still in the air whether Microsoft is going to be controlling or not because nothing they have done recently has shown this "freedom". Even Sea of Thieves is a soulless, microtransaction, monetized cash grab.
Everyone is expecting games from MS but are totally fine with the 5 year cycle God of War took, the 7 year RDR2, and the 6+ year cycle cyberpunk is taking. But when crackdown 3 is around 5 years the world is on fire. "take your time, take your time", then flip 180 and go "where is the game?"
Except God of War and RDR2 are masterpiece level, and Cyberpunk is definitely set up that way.

Crackdown 3 is a result of poor management, and the game isn't going to be a well written narrative with drama and the best voice actors. It's pretty much comparable to Saints Row, and they made those games in less than two years.

Last edited:

We'll see how soon Horizon Zero Dawn 2 comes. If Sony announces it at PSX 2019 for late 2020 release that will be shocking. That means a 3 year development cycle in an era we know it takes at least 5 years to make a great AAA game.

Last edited:
People blame ms for not putting out a game
It's not BS if you can't prove it didn't happen. Both could have happened because they can be mutually exclusive events, and ZhugeEX has more merit because Microsoft recently shut down Lionhead and cancelled Scalebound.

Most of the studios picked up were on the brink of shutting down. Not a particularly great reason for doing it because although they saved the studios, they did so because they were at their lowest price point to be picked up.
Yes, they have made games, some great, but nothing at the masterpiece level of God of War, TLOU, Uncharted, etc. Sony's games are realized after generations of fostering the same talent in the same studios, not shutting down studios and buying up studios that were nearly dead.

And it's still in the air whether Microsoft is going to be controlling or not because nothing they have done recently has shown this "freedom". Even Sea of Thieves is a soulless, microtransaction, monetized cash grab.

Except God of War and RDR2 are masterpiece level, and Cyberpunk is definitely set up that way.

Crackdown 3 is a result of poor management, and the game isn't going to be a well written narrative with drama and the best voice actors. It's pretty much comparable to Saints Row, and they made those games in less than two years.
Masterpiece level is quite subjective. Tetris is voted as one of the top 10 all time games. So a game isn't worth much if it isn't a well written narrative drama? Crackdown 3 is using a new technology as a proof of concept with cloud computing. If it works very well I see every major publisher using the methods crackdown uses.

The key thing for Microsoft will be their ability to come up with AAA titles that can sell 5 million units in the first 4-6 weeks. Since Halo 5 they've not done it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
[QUOTE="WaterAstro, post: 253581485, member: 576875"

[/QUOTE]

Playground and Ninja Theory where not going to shut down and where most likely not at cheap price point at all, Obsidian was but I'm sure we would all rather have them stick around with a massive budget and backing and get back to what they did best. TLoU & Uncharted and the talent didn't spawn over night NaughtyDog released a bunch of shitty mediocre titles first and you would argue Playground and Ninja theory have a much better track record even being newer studios.

Microsoft plans on fostering these studios now, not investing hundreds of millions for no return.

SoT micro-transaction cash grab...? Have you played SoT? Nothing is pay to win purely costmetic and pets. Or are we talking about the pages upon pages upon pages of Uncharted & TLoU micro-transactions so you can easily acquire better guns? I'm not sure why NaughtyDog doesn't get more heat from this, granted their multiplayer is shit and the games are 99% singleplayer driven. Never played GoW the series doesn't interest me so can't comment.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Microsoft is going HAM on the gaming world!

Mhm. Excited to see what they do!

I am still holding out hope that they bring on some of those indie japanese devs with uncensored releases. Sure it may not be a huge market, but it certainly would be a big pull for fans of those games.

VAL0R

Banned
Now witness the power of this fully funded and operational Microsoft gaming division...
xbox_game_pass_nadella.jpg

What would make me very hard is hearing Microsoft is starting up several new studios in Japan.

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft approaches Japan. Do they even try again? Or do they simply leave it to Nintendo? It seems even Sony is focusing on the West since things in Japan are not going well for anyone but Nintendo. (it will also be interesting to see how Sony plays it next go-round with PS5)

Last edited:
What would make me very hard is hearing Microsoft is starting up several new studios in Japan.

I doubt that. even when XBOX launched and PS3 wasn't even out yet with japanese exclusives the xb360 sold only like 1 million units lifetime in Japan. they are not too interested in buying xbox at all. and they don't even buy that many home consoles anyway so it will be even harder than before. I can see microsoft doing it with phil being such a bad ass tho tho. it won't be a continued thing because it wont do that well financially.

hell even Sony doesn't make japanese games anymore. Bloodborne is a western game developed by a japanese studio.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how Microsoft approaches Japan. Do they even try again? Or do they simply leave it to Nintendo? It seems even Sony is focusing on the West since things in Japan are not going well for anyone but Nintendo.

Sony has not made a japanese focused game since the playstation 2. they have like small A or at best AA games from 3rd parties and all but their japan studio isn't even making japanese games anymore.

they just don't sell well. the only games that sell well over there are nintendo games

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It will be interesting to see how Microsoft approaches Japan. Do they even try again? Or do they simply leave it to Nintendo? It seems even Sony is focusing on the West since things in Japan are not going well for anyone but Nintendo. (it will also be interesting to see how Sony plays it next go-round with PS5)

I mean, Japan is moving much more towards PCs in recent years. Microsoft has a strong control in the PC realm, so I can easily see MS using that influence to allow those games to be played on the Scarlet. Given how Microsoft has very little issue releasing the game on both platforms, I don't see this being a major issue anymore. The console itself may not sell well in Japan, but that doesn't mean much if they can still sell loads of their OS.

cdthree

Zynga and NCSOFT. Time to start planning for gamepass on Android and IOS. Might be a better way to conquer the Japanese market as they do love their phone games. Lots of nice South Korean or Chinese mobile players. Lots of mobile Japanese software companies to choose from, too. Going to need some mobile developers. I'd like to see Microsoft develop a multi console strategy. Buy or develop new IP's to sell on every console, PC, Android, Apple platforms out there.
Roll them into the Minecraft umbrella. Why doesn't the big console makers own game studios that sell on every platform? Nintendo is coming close with their mobile Android games. Atlus/Sega. Konami videogames? Seems like an odd fit to the rest of that company maybe they want to get rid of it now? EA makes too much sense with their PC/console and Origin synergies with Xbox. Soooo maybe Activision or Ubisoft.

Mattyp

Gold Member

There's no point, it isn't the market it used to be controlling every aspect of gaming anymore. That's North America now.

I would like to see them pick up Capcom or SEGA but, I'm sure I've mentioned this a million times already but :messenger_grinning_sweat:

12Dannu123

Zynga and NCSOFT. Time to start planning for gamepass on Android and IOS. Might be a better way to conquer the Japanese market as they do love their phone games. Lots of nice South Korean or Chinese mobile players. Lots of mobile Japanese software companies to choose from, too. Going to need some mobile developers. I'd like to see Microsoft develop a multi console strategy. Buy or develop new IP's to sell on every console, PC, Android, Apple platforms out there.
Roll them into the Minecraft umbrella. Why doesn't the big console makers own game studios that sell on every platform? Nintendo is coming close with their mobile Android games. Atlus/Sega. Konami videogames? Seems like an odd fit to the rest of that company maybe they want to get rid of it now? EA makes too much sense with their PC/console and Origin synergies with Xbox. Soooo maybe Activision or Ubisoft.

TBH there's more value in XCloud where you can stream unlimited console games at a monthly fee than having unlimited mobile quality games at a monthly fee.

12Dannu123

I mean, Japan is moving much more towards PCs in recent years. Microsoft has a strong control in the PC realm, so I can easily see MS using that influence to allow those games to be played on the Scarlet. Given how Microsoft has very little issue releasing the game on both platforms, I don't see this being a major issue anymore. The console itself may not sell well in Japan, but that doesn't mean much if they can still sell loads of their OS.

Agreed, they can sell their ecosystem via the Microsoft Store, Game Pass and XCloud, the barrier is much lower compared to buying dedicated hardware.

TBH there's more value in XCloud where you can stream unlimited console games at a monthly fee than having unlimited mobile quality games at a monthly fee.

I wonder if Microsoft will come to some agreement with the phone carriers to allow unlimited xCloud for some revenue sharing on subscriptions.

cdthree

I think both Xcloud and mobile phone games will coexist along side each other for a long time. Phone games are quick in, and simplistic. Low barrier not demanding compared to console gaming. Both have their time and place depending where I am out in the world, for me. Android style games might expolde in numbers if was under a gamepass type service not a GAAS model as it's currently sold. Android rivals or is larger in user base compared to Windows 10. Huge market, large dollars.

Top Bottom