• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Good news for Gears fans.

But like Uncharted, they need to do an overhaul on the gameplay mechanics.

Good luck to Black Tusk Studios.

FHIZ

Heh, said this in the "What's happening with the Gears of War franchise" thread yesterday, but might as well repeat. Halo 4 repeat incoming, you thought you were done with the Locust? Haha! NOPE!

EagleEyes

Even though you're joking, I'm going to expand on that. Last gen we had 2 Killzones, 3 Uncharteds, and 2 Infamous games. On the other hand, we had 5 Halo games, 4 Forza games, and 4 Gears of War games
Yeah I was joking but there were actually 4 Uncharted games( we are talking franchises so you have to include Uncharted on Vita) and Infamous had a downloadable spinoff vampire game so really there were 3 Infamous games last gen. I think in all seriousness all of the big three milk their successful franchises quite a bit.

Urgh, the news that Black Tusk is basically a replacement for Epic made this news... meh.

I was really looking forward to see what kind of identity Black Tusk would build as an unproven, unheard AAA-studio of its own, and now we know.

They're going to try and be Epic.

What a waste.

GavinUK86

The Black Tusk website now has this on it:

6pEF9UX.jpg

So maybe they are only working on a new Gears game and not their new IP anymore.

JaggedSac

That is pretty crazy that MS yanked Ferguson from 2K. Sad to hear that there is no other Black Tusk game. Good to hear there is more Gears coming.

graboids

Yeah I don't get the hate for Judgment, I thought it was one of the best in the series much like I thought ODST was one of the best for the Halo series. Side stories sometimes simplify the plot for the best instead of making everything so convoluted.

ODST is my favorite Halo game as well...

Unless they are buying work done by epic, along with the IP, then we are looking at 2016/17 until the next gears game. By the time it's out, i'm sure you'll have enough money saved.

even on a graphic designer salary I should have one by then... lol

DieH@rd

Banned
This is a clear move by MS to try to secure US install base.

This was probably very expensive deal. We shall see result of this purchase in a 2-3 years, most probably nov2015 or nov2016.

idlewild_

Do we have any idea how large Black Tusk is? That teaser they showed looked nothing like Gears, hopefully they can manage multiple projects and won't be relegated to a Gears studio.

Nice move. I guess that Mark Rein tweet had some value in it. I cant help but feel like Halo, Forza and Gears overshadow some of their better titles though. Feel like last gen all over.

Xater

Its already tied to one set of platforms. I really wouldn't be surprised if MS waved their wands at EA and Respawn and managed to buy the whole franchise.

MS would probably want to keep it as an exclusive franchise for as long as possible. At this point they are all about building.

That's not how this works. Respawn own the IP. They have a publishing deal with EA for one game at this point. This is why EA could do a deal with MS. Everything beyond that is up in the air.

JohngPR

Smart move by MS.

Gears is considered a MS exclusive to begin with...to the point that a lot of friends I talked to assumed that it was their franchise anyway, so this will work out for them.

Wonder what they will do with it. I feel like Marcus Fenix's story ended properly in Gears 3 so going back to him would only work for me in a prequel during the Pendulum Wars or something.

Izuna

Banned
Why doesn't Gears get credit for creating the template that almost all games use for TPS systems, Last of Us included?

Really sucks that Black Tusk's new IP never took off. I wonder how long this acquisition has been in the works.

I really want to see Microsoft create some new AAA IP's but I really can't complain right now as I'm a huge Gears fanboy. Just knowing there will be more after Judgment makes me incredibly happy. They said they will share more later this year so I hope we get a little teaser at E3 or maybe later in the year at something like VGX.

I'll be very interested to see what Epic developers end up jumping ship to Black Tusk. I have a few in mind that are probably chomping at the bit.

Gadirok

The Black Tusk website now has this on it:

6pEF9UX.jpg

So maybe they are only working on a new Gears game and not their new IP anymore.

I honestly thought it would be a new IP.

I guess everyone thinks that rebooting/making an entry in an already established franchise is the safe way to go.

Man

I wonder how much they paid.
The franchise has lost its steam and the original devs are no longer attached.

That is so dceiving they presented that asset demonstration as a full game. When I first saw it i was legitimately interested in the project, I was looking forward to most likely getting that game eventually.

Intentionally lied to everyone, i mean damn.

So Black Tusk was working on Gears all along, or are there two teams? That makes the teaser from last year all the more interesting if it based on the Gears universe.

But interesting move, now Microsoft is back to the corner stones that made them succesfull last generation. This leaves Lionhead as the only 1st party studio working on new IP now?

(also it's funny how CBOAT didn't say Black Tusk was working on Gears, so maybe this is a somewhat new development for their project?)

ekim

Meh... I was really interested in Black Tusks game after E3. Reading now, that this was only some tech demo and they are now working on GoW is dissappointing :(

Well, that's surprising. I wonder how much it cost. Did Epic not want to develop it any more? Will be interesting to see how it goes under Black Tusk.

Neuro

Okay now I have a question

Infiltrator demo by Epic was it being made in collaboration with MS?

Since now come to think of it both were stealth games...

jakncoke

Banned
Wonder how much this cost them, Gears sold a bunch on the 360 and probably a buttload of people bought a 360 just for gears. So this makes perfect sense to keep the IP forever on MS consoles

Milennia

I would like horde mode on next gen, but I'm also unsure of what they can do with the franchise at this point.

I would say reboot, however the series is already established on microsoft platforms.

Duxxy3

ODST is my favorite Halo game as well...

even on a graphic designer salary I should have one by then... lol

That's only two years, three tops.

It's a new studio, a new game, a new engine, and on a new system. Two years would be a miracle.

monome

guesses :
1/ it's gonna be a major reboot.
2/ Black Tusk IP was always a shooter, but never went very far story/setting wise.

GlassCity

Banned
Awesome news!

Between Halo, Titanfall, and Gears, Microsoft pretty much has the multiplayer shooter space locked. I guess Gears and Halo aren't a surprise since they've always been Microsoft exclusive, but to have Titanfall too ? Wow...

Time will tell of course if they are all good or not. Gears going to a new dev kinda scares me to be honest.

Shooter box confirmed ?

Top Bottom