• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm actually interested in speculating now. Rumors were flying some time ago that they were behind in their project. Wonder if they were really behind or not making progress so Microsoft found them something to do.

BPoole

Yeah I was joking but there were actually 4 Uncharted games( we are talking franchises so you have to include Uncharted on Vita) and Infamous had a downloadable spinoff vampire game so really there were 3 Infamous games last gen. I think in all seriousness all of the big three milk their successful franchises quite a bit.
Both are guilty but I feel MS is a much bigger culprit. Sony brought tons of quality new IP last gen, such as Uncharted, TLOU, LBP, Resistance, Motorstorm, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Puppeteer, and Beyond. Look at the last several years of the 360's life, pretty much a barren wasteland of nothing but Halo/Gears/Forza

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The Black Tusk website now has this on it:

6pEF9UX.jpg

So maybe they are only working on a new Gears game and not their new IP anymore.
Excuse me while I let out the pained groan of a dying animal.
Arhughggggaaeeeghghgg

Endo Punk

I'm really surprised EPIC decided to sell the IP completely instead of going into another exclusive partnership. Wonder how much it cost MS...

Lewpy

Banned
I really enjoyed the first 2 titles and as others have said, started to loose interest by about half way through the third offering. Didn't even entertain Judgement.

However, I think with another studio taking a crack at a franchise synonymous with the Xbox, in a new console...if they get it right they could have a winner on their hands. I would definitely get back on the wagon if it was done right and not just a prettier retread of previous titles.

Guerrilla

so if black tusk is only working on gears now, what were they doing the last couple of years? I mean MS just bought the franchise, so they are probably just getting started...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so basically, black tusk is just another franchise factory like 343i and turn 10

well there goes what little interest i had in the company

iwslQg6BEdslc.gif

Smidget

Darnit. Now I need to get an Xbone eventually :/ One of my most played games of last gen. The competitive multiplayer is just awesome.

Yeah I was joking but there were actually 4 Uncharted games( we are talking franchises so you have to include Uncharted on Vita) and Infamous had a downloadable spinoff vampire game so really there were 3 Infamous games last gen. I think in all seriousness all of the big three milk their successful franchises quite a bit.

My personal feel on this is that I have no problem with franchises being milked and rehashed, especially when the devs themselves want to continue working on said games.

(the junior staff of SSM wanted to make more GoW, there was the ND article about droves of staff leaving when they decided to make a new IP instead of continuing with Jak, etc )

My fear is when devs are possibly stuck in a situation where they're not able or allowed to do anything other than be a franchise milking cow.

We've seen and heard enough of studios like ND, Japan Studio and Polyphony that they basically are allowed to do whatever they like for most parts, so any rehash on their part is something they most likely chose to do out of their own volition. I have no issue with a 4th or even 5th Uncharted, granted that it is what Amy Hennig wants to keep doing.

But I would be pissed if Bruce/Druckmann were forced to do something they don't want to do.

I'm actually interested in speculating now. Rumors were flying some time ago that they were behind in their project. Wonder if they were really behind or not making progress so Microsoft found them something to do.

Quick, someone signal the Buttocks...

Its funny seeing all the "why, shouldn't they just end the series""milking continues"

gears sells well and the games are above average. "milking gears is no different than milking uncharted, killzone, halo, AC , Mario ,Zelda or any other game that gas multiple titles. There's obviously a core audience who loves these games. Personally I like the single player but hate the multiplayer

It is more about how the series plays out and how the stories lend themselves to a sequel.

God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgement are two games that came after the supposed finale of a storyline and happens to be a prequel. I personally am not a fan of prequels unless done really well (I give a pass to reach and ODST for some reason) but most other franchises you mention either do not have a storyline to maintain or have actual continuations to the story.

flkraven

Last gen we had 2 Killzones, 3 Uncharteds, and 2 Infamous games. On the other hand, we had 5 Halo games, 4 Forza games, and 4 Gears of War games

Let's not split hairs. They both milk their franchises. Heck, everyone does and who can blame them if they make money.

I think something happened. Otherwise I would expect CBOAT to had outright said it was Gears back when he/she discussed Black Tusks game.

Plus didn't Microsoft outright say that the Black Tusk video was from their new game? And that didn't seem like it would fit into the themes of what Gears is today.

My 3 cents

1) That's a pretty great ip grab by MS
2) Hope they don't screw it up as badly as Halo 4
3) Does Epic even make games anymore? Cliffyb's hypothetical new ip might be putt before their next console/pc game
4) We now know MS' big holiday 2015 title.

GlamFM

Banned
Well that´s disappointing..

So was their original IP cancelled? Or do we believe MS that they never worked on something else?

MavFan619

Banned
Yet another franchise that Sony let slip through their fingers.
Didn't they let Gears slip years ago when their was 4 games on 360? I don't see it being a big deal MS locking up what's been essentially their game. Can't lie when I woke up to this news I was hoping it was a completely new game announcement.

I hope not. Let's hope they knew about this for a while and have something worth showing for E3.

zhao3gold

Banned
Is there anyone tweeting to Phil in order to clarify the game from Black Tusk showed in E3 2013 is not next gears game?

I hope they are not the same games. I want to have a new IP and a Gears reboot.

Marleyman

Banned
The same shittone that Judgement sold?
They need to heavily alter and improve the whole franchise in order to achieve those sales of Gears 3.

Many factors led to Judgment not doing that well. I believe the end of the gen had a lot to do with it, for starters. It was also a prequel, which didn't go over with many of the long time fans(I didn't buy it, first one I didn't get). At least for me, that doesn't make me all of a sudden not want anymore Gears; in fact, this announcement has my interest more than any other game coming down the pipeline for the One.

My 3 cents

3) Does Epic even make games anymore? Cliffyb's hypothetical new ip might be putt before their next console/pc game

Epic is supposedly still doing Fortnight.

I hope not. Let's hope they knew about this for a while and have something worth showing for E3.

The announcement says Microsoft expects to show/discuss the game in this calendar year, so there has to be something. Plus otherwise it is going to be hard to have it ready to go in Fall 2015.

Gadirok

So basically they lied at E3. They must really like Sony's approach to the launch of the PS3.

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

So it was a tech demo.

They're just going to end up working on Gears?

I thought that with the ample supply of amazing developers in Vancouver we would get somewhere along the lines of whole new ground.

Hopefully, they completely change the gears formula.

ekim

`Yeah- CBOATs leaks also didn't really imply they are working on GoW.

Tobor

Wait, there is no new IP being worked on by Black Tusk? Just another Gears?

Lol, dodged a bullet. Desire to buy an Xbone still at 0%.

RulkezX

Well the quote from Spencer says that Black Tusk have just been messing around with concepts for 6-9 months and that the leadership knew about the GEoW deal.

It would appear that BT were twiddling their thumbs waiting to see if MS could get GEoW before they go balls out on development.

def sim

I feel exactly the same about this as I do the new Uncharted. I hope both those franchises do something new this generation.

Salex_

I think, for the most part, that is exactly what you're going to get. We've seen a new Uncharted announced from Sony and moves like this from Microsoft seem to suggest they're putting all their stock in their established franchises as well.

The reception to Ryse and Knack will do new I.P's no favors in the long run. Since next gen began we've seen what, 4 new I.Ps announced for future games, The Order, Watch Dogs (which isn't looking very good, if I'm honest), Drive Club and Evolve. That's it. All the other announced but unreleased games are established franchises.

We've seen virtually nothing from these games. At least wait until we've seen actual gameplay before claiming these are actually coming out.
I really hate when people dismiss things to fit their flawed point.

There's a bunch of 2014 new IPS that you failed to mention. I wonder why...

Mondy

Banned
Wait......so you don't think those games are actually coming out because you haven't seen gameplay?

The Last Guardian.

I'm merely saying, if all a company has shown is an announcement trailer and not something more comprehensive like actual gameplay, it is much easier for them to dump those projects because there aren't as many expectations to crush. This game from Black Tusk is case in point.

Duxxy3

My 3 cents

We do?

Marleyman

Banned
Let's not split hairs. They both milk their franchises. Heck, everyone does and who can blame them if they make money.

He isn't counting Uncharted, Killzone's expansion to the Vita. That still counts..but yeah, it is a pointless argument to begin with. Successful franchises get milked in all of media.

Oh joy...

Xbox One owner here who stopped playing Gears mid way through 2. I honestly didn't even know Gears was a big deal anymore, although admittedly I don't keep on top of these things.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well, that was a surprise. At this stage though the franchise is a diminished one. Let's see if black tusk can turn it around.

Top Bottom