• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I think it's hilarious how this has just flown under the radar, and gies is the story now. GAFers angry!

A majority have seen it. The fact that he WOULD post about an always-online DRM scheme in the wake of the leaks already mentioned is why this is blowing up.

I don't understand how people can't grasp this.

It wouldn't matter if he was director of keyboard layouts on the Surface tablets ... he obviously knows/knew/seen/saw something that prompted him to post what he did. Which feeds even more fuel to the fire that is brewing surrounding speculation.

Most big corporate decisions and secrets usually aren't leaked by the board of directors. It's somebody down the chain that doesn't realize the gravity of what they may be commenting on.

eot

Banned
Gies is the time independent solution to any gaf thread about a controversy. When the transient dies he inevitably emerges.

inky

Where are these homophobic slurs? If you are going to make accusations you should provide evidence, also given that this forum has age restrictions it has no need to abide by your puritanical standards so there is nothing wrong with the gif.

Edit: nevermind, just read his post. He indeed said sexual slurs on twitter, but homophobic here.

He's referring to the use of the word "cunt" in the GIF. I'm not sure it was used in the thread too.

Sorral

89% says no as expected.

Yeah:
6fERhSa4bj2YXfWvf5o3lGtW1Ucok.jpg

Small sample, but still, it won't end well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't get it. Why are they so salty?

Something tells me he's less concerned about sexual slurs and more concerned about his favorite corporation taking a beating. Just a hunch. If you have nothing to counter the actual argument, then find a way to discredit the person(s) making it.

sneaky77

I like how this Gies guy keeps the ridiculous empty comments on his twitter coming and asks for arguments but he himself fails to defend why always online is such a good thing. "Do what I say, dont do what I do." I guess.

Arthur didn't defend always online... he said you can just buy the competitor's machine so vote with your wallet.

dLMN8R

A majority have seen it. The fact that he WOULD post about an always-online DRM scheme in the wake of the leaks already mentioned is why this is blowing up.

I don't understand how people can't grasp this.

It wouldn't matter if he was director of keyboard layouts on the Surface tablets ... he obviously knows/knew/seen/saw something that prompted him to post what he did. Which feeds even more fuel to the fire that is brewing surrounding speculation.

Most big corporate decisions and secrets usually aren't leaked by the board of directors. It's somebody down the chain that doesn't realize the gravity of what they may be commenting on.

Not necessarily at all. He's apparently a tactless idiot, and all he needs to see are online rumors to spur his desire to post those tweets.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's easy to snipe the worst posts and dismiss all of the valid majority while playing the victim card isn't it?

Problem is he didn't quote these posts with the homophobic slurs....it would make it easier for people to understand what he is saying if he did. As it is now, he is just throwing up his hands and going "GUYS, come on!"

Until he actually provides proof that people used slurs at Geis, he is just stroking his raging white knight codpiece.

Edit: nevermind, just read his post. He indeed said sexual slurs on twitter, but homophobic here.

He's referring to the use of the word "cunt" in the GIF. I'm not sure it was used in the thread too.

Wait, what? How is that homophobic? AND not everyone is from the US.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, so I've read many posts on here but I've not seen one person mention the MOST compelling reason this is a bad idea. I pay £25 a month for my internet connection so this would effectively add £300 to the price of the console EVERY FRINGIN' YEAR! I won't mention LIVE subscriptions ... it seems pitifully small in comparison

railGUN

Banned
Not necessarily at all. He's apparently a tactless idiot, and all he needs to see are online rumors to spur his desire to post those tweets.

Why doesn't MS just come out and state that an online connection isn't required for the next Xbox? What possible harm could come of that?

Ramma2

Granted, this was a while back, but I remember bringing my PS2 up to my friends cottage whenever we'd get the opportunity during summer (the cottage was usually occupied by other family members also looking to get out of the city, but every so often it'd be empty). We'd play games late night (crazy Worms marathons) after being out all day hiking, swimming, and riding. An always online requirement would have deprived us of some great times, because as you guessed it, there's no fucking internet up there.

I've had similar experiences, bringing my Xbox up north to a cabin for a snowmobiling trip. Just a bunch of guys sitting around after sledding for hundreds of miles, relaxing and playing burnout and having a great time.

Not this gen I guess!

Derrick01

Banned
Seriously, who was hurling homophobic slurs

If someone did then they're probably banned, or will be once someone can find the post in question in this huge thread.

I'm guessing even if someone did then this person is just using that 1 dickhead as a way to write off the whole forum because "waaah they're bashing my favorite company".

KAL2006

Banned
Edge said it was mandatory.

Interesting I just find it hard to understand why a company that wants to make money would do this, something like this would pretty much kill the product. I still don't beleive this is true based in common sense, hopefully MS has common sense to not do this.

CPS2

720 is gonna be pretty useless for tournaments or any kind of gathering where there's multiple consoles and no wifi.

Is there anyone out there that can actually find a consumer benefit for always online? I just don't see how it helps anyone besides the people making money.
I'd like to see this as well.

The closest I've read so far is it can provide MS and publishers with more money, and that's automatically going to transform the NextBox into Steam somehow. Looks like very wishful and naive thinking.

The bean counters want more control AND higher prices. I really don't know why people would think otherwise. This is all about extracting more cash from gamers while providing less value.

Besides that I've seen "its inevitable, deal with it" and "single-player games are anti-social and non-viable". The Kool-Aid is very strong.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Pyromaniac provided him with exactly what he requested, but it may or may not be on the same page as less articulate posts from other people, so unfortunately cannot be considered by Mr. Gies. Sounds reasonable to me!

cMdvlVG.png

Man, that Neogaf salt from Gies is astoundingly hilarious. xD

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Pyromaniac provided him with exactly what he requested, but it may or may not be on the same page as less articulate posts from other people, so unfortunately cannot be considered by Mr. Gies. Sounds reasonable to me!

cMdvlVG.png

Jesus Christ. What a fucking loon.

Fistwell

Yeah. I don't think there are any sexual slurs in that gif. I'm so lost. This world confuses and amuses me at the same time.
There's "cunt." Regarding the homophobic bit, the only thing I can come up with is,

I'm surprised he can even tweet while slurping away at that throbbing corporate cock.

Aaaaaand, beaten.

pretty sure the homophobic slurs were about slurping the corporate cock or something along those lines

I must have said something he didn't like.

UnqhSzG.jpg

Arthur I'm sorry, please let me follow you. It makes my job harder if I can't view your tweets as part of conversations.

Soi-Fong

Interesting I just find it hard to understand why a company that wants to make money would do this, something like this would pretty much kill the product. I still don't beleive this is true based in common sense, hopefully MS has common sense to not do this.

You can't pick and choose what you want to see from a source. Edge has been pretty much spot on with their reports.

Minions

Kotaku says they can scrap it with a firmware update/infrastructure change, so.. possibly.

Sure, but if they are building their whole "pricing" strategy based on it I don't see them dropping it.

Subsidize the price of the console based on: 1) Increased revenues due to no used games; 2) requiring a gold subscription to play; lower price point due to 1) and 2) + require a 2 year live subscription for the discount (See $250 vs 399-450).

Az

I think we're getting a bit away from the main problem with this whole Gies thing. He is just one of many guys with an opinion, really no need to give him any more attention.

...this thread contains homophobic slurs directed specifically at Arthur Gies and features an animated .gif using sexual slurs against Microsoft as a punchline. (edit: see immediately above.)

"Vomit and diarrhea" sounds about accurate to me.

Links please?

Will save a lot of time for people looking for juicy bits :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still waiting for awa64 to point out the "homophobic slurs" and "sexual slurs directed at Microsoft."

eot

Banned

cMdvlVG.png

A direct link to a post only shows you that post, so I don't see how that's relevant

Spawnling

720 is gonna be pretty useless for tournaments or any kind of gathering where there's multiple consoles and no wifi.

Basically, LAN will be a thing of the past. Or you'll have developers making a special showing when connections go bad during events, much like Starcraft and Blizzard.

Top Bottom