• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I can't wait to see how Microsoft spins a required connection as being crucial for all gaming experiences and how it's in gamers' best interests.

MS Rep: It allows us to gather data to make the end users experience better than our competitors. We can send patches to the games installed on their systems making our patching system truly seamless and non-obtrusive. Did you know that second-hand games are known to carry various communicable disease? I mean honestly, do you know where that used copy of a game you bought has been? Coupled with Kinect 2.0 we deliver the experiences and excitement that all gamers can enjoy.

*walks off stage of a round of roaring applause*

MS Rep: How was that?"
Third-party CEO: "Good, you should have played up the disease spreading second-hand games. Maybe say it gave someone TB."
MS Rep: "Nah, gamers are spineless anyways. I could have said it gives you 3 kinds of incurable cancer and they'd be lined up day one."
Third-party CEO: Yeah... you're right."
MS Rep and Third-party CEO: "Gamers having backbones... <maniacal laughter>

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have this cached before he locked it:

ikWhhKM09bWdC.png

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well, the PS4 controller is improved.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this means Xbox Live will at least be free most likely. They can't force people online and then not let them do anything. I'm sure there will be different tiers of course.
Yeah, this means price gouging tier services.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
For the people that claim they don't care about xbox, think Microsoft sucks, and it has no meaningful exclusives, why are you in EVERY thread about the next xbox?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
What does the Twitter lock mean? That there's probably a lot of truth to what he was implying?
His tweets are protected. Only the people on his follow lost get to see tweets and he has control over who sees them.

I also tweeted Major Nelson a link to this thread. I'm not expecting anything from him but its worth a shot.

onQ123

Maybe they should have waited for cloud gaming to try this always connected thing.

speaking of Cloud Gaming didn't Gaf have a short love affair with Onlive before it fell through?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So this is why I was forced through hamfisted PR run training meetings once they discovered I was on twitter.

Common sense... some people just don't have it.

UberTag

In completely unrelated news, Microsoft Studios released Ms. Splosion Man this week for Windows Phone 7.
It does NOT work on Windows Phone 8.

How does something like that happen?

He locked his account? LOL sounds like the MS ninjas are just going to assassinate him instead of just firing him when he gets to work tomorrow.

Tries to start car, won't start because it's offline, sign shoots up through the hood onto the window, "Shouldn't bought a car"

BOOM

Instro

Can't wait to see this shit again when everyone buys the next Xbox regardless of an internet connection being required.

4qUJhlq.jpg

Let's not forget Diablo 3 and Sim City selling millions despite requiring an internet connection. No different than the new CoD released every year - we all hate it but must have it.

Perhaps, but all the negative backlash against Windows 8 certainly turned it into a flop.

Ramma2

No Microsoft, no.

notlikethis3rxq.gif

We had such a good generation together... and now you're going to just throw it all away?

daveo42

Banned
Why on earth would I live there?

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable response to all those living in the more remote areas of the country with less than stellar internet access.

Just say the thing is bloody always on and you need to be connected to the net to play games. Don't be an absolute dick about it and cock everything up with some off-hand comments and analogies that don't even make sense.

Tries to start car, won't start because it's offline, sign shoots up through the hood onto the window, "Shouldn't bought a car"

BOOM

Absolutely brilliant!

For the people that claim they don't care about xbox, think Microsoft sucks, and it has no meaningful exclusives, why are you in EVERY thread about the next xbox?

Same reason why folks are all up in threads on Wii U when disinterested and PS4 and games and who knows what else. People find the discussion in the topics interesting even when the subject of the topic isn't. That's life.

Eusis

Well, the PS4 controller is improved.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this means Xbox Live will at least be free most likely. They can't force people online and then not let them do anything. I'm sure there will be different tiers of course.
That's what they did with the original 360. Though maybe they ARE so brazen as to kill the free tier anyway, if so it'd be amazing to watch.

Arkam

I swear people make mountains out of mole hills too often on this forum.

Most of you probably use MULTIPLE other services that require a connection and dont even notice it. This is a non-issue that is getting fanned by pirates, morons and anti-MS trolls.

Other than the reasonable (but edge case) "the network is down".... WHAT else is a concern?

The third generation curse really does exist. Xbox 3 is pulling a ps3 by making retarded moves. I congratulate Sony for survivng that curse even with the company losing a huge amount of money, it will be the first 4th gen console on the market. A fresh start

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
And there it is. Xbox Live has never been that unreliable. Nothing on that level happened to the 360, and nothing on that level will happen on the next Xbox. People really believe that Microsoft won't have all their ducks in a row on this thing? Come on.

Microsoft' servers are rock solid.

That's not the issue. It's the endpoint. The customer. Millions of people with inconsistent internet, kids with games in rec rooms with weak wifi (these tend to be in rooms nearly on the second floor, wifi is planar), people that don't give a fuck.

I play games primarily on PC. I always want to be online, but sometimes I'm not. Games like Diablo 3 had bad servers, so even if MS's servers are rock solid, what about 3rd parties?

Why should I even care about always online? I rarely play games online, rarely use online content outside of forums and mods.

To me this seems like a ploy to stream ads to the user, and if that's the case no fucking thanks.

Sallokin

This is super worrying to me. I'm in the group of folks who have consistent internet problems. I don't live in the sticks either, but my options are limited. The arrogance of this guy's comments...

I can't be bothered with games not working because my connection drops every 10 - 20 minutes like clockwork.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I swear people make mountains out of mole hills too often on this forum.

Most of you probably use MULTIPLE other services that require a connection and dont even notice it. This is a non-issue that is getting fanned by pirates, morons and anti-MS trolls.

Other than the reasonable (but edge case) "the network is down".... WHAT else is a concern?

Pirates, morons, and trolls? How about fans of the hobby that have sketchy internet connections?

Doffen

LMFAO His tweets are protected.

I guess Major Nelson/Microsoft Ninjas came in and whooped his ass.

I don't think so. It's more like he got tired of random people sending hating tweets. Microsoft usually deletes the entire account when crazy stuff happens.

Kind of reminds me of Sony and its arrogance back in '06.

only Sony owned 70% of the market and was coming off the most successful console of all time, 360 aint even close to that so why they are being cocky is beyond me, maybe MS is as stupid as some of their fans think they are

if this keeps up they are going to get buried come launch time

Top Bottom